PDA

View Full Version : Flutie has earned admiration, not spot in Hall of Fame

G. Host
05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9443064
Doug Flutie was a resilient player who was fun to watch and tough to defend and who reminded us that it's never wise to underestimate someone's determination. But he was not a Hall of Fame quarterback.

This is my opinion as well including regarding the Wall of Fame which he is even less qualified for.

ICE74129
05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Exactly. Gutsy guy. Damn good College player, GREAT CFL QB, Backup in the NFL. You dont put backups in the HOF.

casdhf
05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
NFL Hall of fame ... no way

Pro Football HOF .... maybe? You can't take away how dominating he was. Even in a POS league.

Philagape
05-16-2006, 06:34 PM
It's insulting to the Hall of Fame, the citizens of Canton, the NFL and every intelligent football fan to mention "Doug Flutie" and "Hall of Fame" in the same paragraph.

The same page, for that matter.

Ickybaluky
05-16-2006, 07:01 PM
BTW, cas, it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. There is no NFL Hall of Fame.

I don't think he deserves induction, because he really wasn't a great NFL player. He was perhaps the greatest CFL player of all-time, however.

SABURZFAN
05-16-2006, 07:12 PM
he's a Hall of Famer in the CFL.

G. Host
05-16-2006, 07:30 PM

I don't think he deserves induction, because he really wasn't a great NFL player. He was perhaps the greatest CFL player of all-time, however.

Unless they want to imcorporate ALL football it ought to be renamed NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame. The NFL is the key marketing vehicle now and it should reflect it.

Ickybaluky
05-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Unless they want to imcorporate ALL football it ought to be renamed NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame. The NFL is the key marketing vehicle now and it should reflect it.

But it does include players who played their careers before there was an NFL, like Bronco Nagurski, Jim Thorpe and Red Grange. It includes players who played in the old AFL as well, and the old All-American League.

There have been some HOF players who gained entrance because their CFL careers enhanced their NFL careers, like Bud Grant and Warren Moon. However, Flutie's NFL career wasn't enough, IMO, to have his CFL exploits push him over the top.

casdhf
05-16-2006, 07:58 PM

I don't think he deserves induction, because he really wasn't a great NFL player. He was perhaps the greatest CFL player of all-time, however. That was my point.

G. Host
05-16-2006, 09:33 PM
But it does include players who played their careers before there was an NFL, like Bronco Nagurski, Jim Thorpe and Red Grange. It includes players who played in the old AFL as well, and the old All-American League.
The difference is those leagues were absorbed by NFL and other leagues were not.

TacklingDummy
05-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Since it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame and not the NFL Hall of Fame, Doug does belong in it.

ICE74129
05-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Since it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame and not the NFL Hall of Fame, Doug does belong in it.

No he doesn't and No he won't be in it. Moon had much better NFL success and it took years for him to get in.

flutie failed on two teams before being shipped to Canada. He came back, wasn't good enough to keep the job in Buffalo consistantly. Then at SD same thing. He is a career NFL Backup at best. Fun to watch, but not a guy you can hitch your team to and say win a superbowl.

He doesnt' belong in the HOF

chernobylwraiths
05-17-2006, 11:35 AM

They already have guys who only played in the AFL and never in the NFL. I think he might go in someday because of his CFL days. Plus it is called Hall of FAME, not hall of greatness. And, even if you hate the guy, you have to admit he was famous.

ICE74129
05-17-2006, 01:02 PM
They already have guys who only played in the AFL and never in the NFL. I think he might go in someday because of his CFL days. Plus it is called Hall of FAME, not hall of greatness. And, even if you hate the guy, you have to admit he was famous.

He doesnt' deserve a spot no matter how strong your personal love for the guy is.

The King
05-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Most famous play in NCAA football history, and a CFL legend. There is certainly a place for someone like him it just not the HOF.

ICE74129
05-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Most famous play in NCAA football history, and a CFL legend. There is certainly a place for someone like him it just not the HOF.

I never got why that is the most famous play? It is just a hail mary pass. the Kordell one to me was more impressive when he was at Colorado. Cal Stanford, that was more impressive. MANY more than just a hail mary pass.

Philagape
05-17-2006, 01:15 PM

Then the College Football Hall and the CFL Hall (if there is such a thing) are where he belongs.

Philagape
05-17-2006, 01:17 PM
If the Pro Football Hall allows players in for what they did in the CFL, how about Arena football players?

How about soccer players? Because around the world, soccer is called football.

ticatfan
05-17-2006, 04:09 PM
If the Pro Football Hall allows players in for what they did in the CFL, how about Arena football players?

How about soccer players? Because around the world, soccer is called football. Then it is time to renamed it the NFL hall of fame. Maybe the NFL can have a hall of shame,it would be full. lol

ticatfan
05-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Then the College Football Hall and the CFL Hall (if there is such a thing) are where he belongs.Yes there is. Remember the CFL has been around a long time ,longer than american football.

Mr. Pink
05-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Yes there is. Remember the CFL has been around a long time ,longer than american football.

Ummm wrong....
Outright wrong....

The CFL has existed since 1930 which then it was known as the IRFU...it wasn't officially recognized/changed to CFL til the 1950s

The NFL has been called the NFL since 1922 which was the APFA prior to that.

The_Philster
05-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Then it is time to renamed it the NFL hall of fame. Maybe the NFL can have a hall of shame,it would be full. lol
problem with that is that the HOF in Canton includes not just the NFL...but all pro leagues running American-style football. The CFL has a different style..that's the crux of the matter right there.

G. Host
05-17-2006, 05:01 PM

They have one I believe and he was a Bill and it was many, many years after he deserved to be there. NFL still treats AFL as a step child.
AFL was absorbed by NFL so it is same thing as other leagues which were absorbed.

Philagape
05-17-2006, 05:46 PM
problem with that is that the HOF in Canton includes not just the NFL...but all pro leagues running American-style football. The CFL has a different style..that's the crux of the matter right there.

Plus, the players just aren't good enough. The CFL is a minor league, like NFL Europe. It's where NFL rejects go. If quality of competition is any factor whatsoever, then no one should ever get in for CFL accomplishments.

Do we want Tom Clements in the Pro Football Hall of Fame? :ill:

The AFL and the AAFL were good enough for absorption, so their players are good enough for the Hall.

ticatfan
05-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Ummm wrong....
Outright wrong....

The CFL has existed since 1930 which then it was known as the IRFU...it wasn't officially recognized/changed to CFL til the 1950s

The NFL has been called the NFL since 1922 which was the APFA prior to that.I would like to see a link that says the league has been the NFL since 22. .The grey cup is in it's 94th year ,how old is the super bowl. Some teams in the CFL are over a 100 years old. And america would not be playing football if is was not for canada. You would be playing soccor instead. America learned about football from McGill U.

ticatfan
05-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Plus, the players just aren't good enough. The CFL is a minor league, like NFL Europe. It's where NFL rejects go. If quality of competition is any factor whatsoever, then no one should ever get in for CFL accomplishments.

Do we want Tom Clements in the Pro Football Hall of Fame? :ill:

The AFL and the AAFL were good enough for absorption, so their players are good enough for the Hall.CFL is supior to NFLE. It is 2 different games. Some NFL stars would not cut it up here. Some of ypur linemen would not last on the big field. Does the NFL have the better players,yes,that is where the money is. But there is alot of players in the CFL that could play in the NFL is they were 2 inches taller. Most americans do not understand our game or the differences involved ,if you did you might think a little more highly of the league. Like I have always said if the 2 leagues paid the same money,say good buy the the NFL. Canadian style football is alot more exciting to play then the NFL.

The_Philster
05-18-2006, 11:01 AM
I would like to see a link that says the league has been the NFL since 22. .The grey cup is in it's 94th year ,how old is the super bowl. Some teams in the CFL are over a 100 years old. And america would not be playing football if is was not for canada. You would be playing soccor instead. America learned about football from McGill U.
The NFL was founded in 1920 ...you can see that info on most NFL websites

ticatfan
05-18-2006, 11:54 AM
The NFL was founded in 1920 ...you can see that info on most NFL websitesDid not know that. But your game still sucks.lol

Bill Brasky
05-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Could somebody explain to me exactly how this guy is being mentioned for the HOF?

ticatfan
05-18-2006, 02:14 PM
If any CFL'er deserves to be in it would be damon allen.

TacklingDummy
05-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Sean Sailsbury thinks Doug should be in the Hall of Fame. Since its not the NFL HOF and it is the Pro football HOF.

G. Host
05-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Sean Sailsbury thinks Doug should be in the Hall of Fame. Since its not the NFL HOF and it is the Pro football HOF.

They ought to just rename it US Pro Football HOF and get arguments over with.

ICE74129
05-18-2006, 09:06 PM

Salsbury (sp) is a moron. We don't put career backup in the HOF and thats all Flutieflake was in the NFL.

Philagape
05-18-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm fine with the PRO FOOTBALL HOF being named that and never inducting a CFL player. The minute they do that, they gotta induct arena players too. The CFL is outdoor arena football. It would be like letting cricket players into the baseball HOF.

The nation knows, the world knows who belongs, and CFL players don't.

Historian
05-19-2006, 05:45 AM
I picture him in that exercise infomercial with Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley...