• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

Flutie has earned admiration, not spot in Hall of Fame

Doug Flutie was a resilient player who was fun to watch and tough to defend and who reminded us that it's never wise to underestimate someone's determination. But he was not a Hall of Fame quarterback.

This is my opinion as well including regarding the Wall of Fame which he is even less qualified for.
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Flutie has earned admiration, not spot in Hall of Fame

Exactly. Gutsy guy. Damn good College player, GREAT CFL QB, Backup in the NFL. You dont put backups in the HOF.

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

NFL Hall of fame ... no way

Pro Football HOF .... maybe? You can't take away how dominating he was. Even in a POS league.
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

It's insulting to the Hall of Fame, the citizens of Canton, the NFL and every intelligent football fan to mention "Doug Flutie" and "Hall of Fame" in the same paragraph.

The same page, for that matter.
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

BTW, cas, it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. There is no NFL Hall of Fame.

I don't think he deserves induction, because he really wasn't a great NFL player. He was perhaps the greatest CFL player of all-time, however.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

he's a Hall of Famer in the CFL.
            Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• G. Host
              Banned
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39

I don't think he deserves induction, because he really wasn't a great NFL player. He was perhaps the greatest CFL player of all-time, however.
              Unless they want to imcorporate ALL football it ought to be renamed NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame. The NFL is the key marketing vehicle now and it should reflect it.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by G. Host
                Unless they want to imcorporate ALL football it ought to be renamed NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame. The NFL is the key marketing vehicle now and it should reflect it.
                But it does include players who played their careers before there was an NFL, like Bronco Nagurski, Jim Thorpe and Red Grange. It includes players who played in the old AFL as well, and the old All-American League.

There have been some HOF players who gained entrance because their CFL careers enhanced their NFL careers, like Bud Grant and Warren Moon. However, Flutie's NFL career wasn't enough, IMO, to have his CFL exploits push him over the top.

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

That was my point.
                  Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• G. Host
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2002

But it does include players who played their careers before there was an NFL, like Bronco Nagurski, Jim Thorpe and Red Grange. It includes players who played in the old AFL as well, and the old All-American League.
                    The difference is those leagues were absorbed by NFL and other leagues were not.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

Since it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame and not the NFL Hall of Fame, Doug does belong in it.

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                        Since it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame and not the NFL Hall of Fame, Doug does belong in it.
                        No he doesn't and No he won't be in it. Moon had much better NFL success and it took years for him to get in.

flutie failed on two teams before being shipped to Canada. He came back, wasn't good enough to keep the job in Buffalo consistantly. Then at SD same thing. He is a career NFL Backup at best. Fun to watch, but not a guy you can hitch your team to and say win a superbowl.

He doesnt' belong in the HOF

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by G. Host
                          They already have guys who only played in the AFL and never in the NFL. I think he might go in someday because of his CFL days. Plus it is called Hall of FAME, not hall of greatness. And, even if you hate the guy, you have to admit he was famous.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                            They already have guys who only played in the AFL and never in the NFL. I think he might go in someday because of his CFL days. Plus it is called Hall of FAME, not hall of greatness. And, even if you hate the guy, you have to admit he was famous.
                            He doesnt' deserve a spot no matter how strong your personal love for the guy is.

Comment

• The King
                              Without me it's just Awe so
                              • Jun 2004

Most famous play in NCAA football history, and a CFL legend. There is certainly a place for someone like him it just not the HOF.
                              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                              It was all
                              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
                              X