PDA

View Full Version : Tim Connolly coming into his own?

starfirestar
02-12-2003, 12:46 PM
It seems that Connolly is picking up the pace. He had a strong game against the Islanders, and against the Blues. He is not making the mistakes defensively as much. He still has a lot of maturing to do, but he is only 20 or 21 years old. Lot's of time for improvement. Patrick Elias didn't have his breakout season untill his fifth or sixth season with the Devils. Scott Gomez is becoming one of the leagues best playmakers, and it his his firth season I think. But Tim has a plan. He wants to get better. It's not like another Mike Wilson. It is really to early to tell that.

Judge
02-12-2003, 12:50 PM
EXACTLY!

Great post.

It's still too early to completely write off the Peca for Connelly/Pyatt deal as a loser. Early advantage to islanders, w/o doubt, but these guys can still be good. The Sabres, or whoever they are, may very well have received bona fide all-stars in return for him.

Connelly is showing promise again. He could be very important to this team's offense for many years to come.

BironsGirl43
02-12-2003, 12:51 PM
He has been playing awesome lately...

In the last 4 games.. he has 4 points, 2 goals and 2 assists.. :)

I told you the Connolly tracker was a good idea.. lol..

Honestly, he looks better out there.. GO TIM!! :)

SkateZilla
02-12-2003, 04:53 PM
yup
least some one is working.

I Think our defense was better with EMEL.

and the other rochester guy.

lol

WHY DID WE HAVE TO CHANGE IT!!!

Ebenezer
02-12-2003, 05:36 PM
OK...now for some sanity...

Tim Connolly has spent his welcome here. His play over the last 4 games only goes to bolster my argument that he never wanted to be here and now wants a trade. He's pi$$ed about the contract squabble at the end of last year and he knows if he plays well now that he might get traded.

I say grant the trade...send him off to Calgary for a bad of pucks and some gatorade mix...he shows up now and people think he is "on the come"...forget it...it is all show until the trade deadline. If he is here after that passed then you will see his play slide again.

islesrule7721
02-12-2003, 06:04 PM
I am an Islander fan. I like how the Islanders got Peca, but i dont like how they got rid of Connoly. He is going 2 be an outstanding player. His stickhandling is amazing. Pyat is also a very yoing guy who can be very talented as well. Do u guys agree with me??:badboy:

Sabre Ally
02-12-2003, 06:09 PM
:lmao:

BillC
02-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by islesrule7721
I am an Islander fan. I like how the Islanders got Peca, but i dont like how they got rid of Connoly. He is going 2 be an outstanding player. His stickhandling is amazing. Pyat is also a very yoing guy who can be very talented as well. Do u guys agree with me??:badboy:

Welcome to the Zone, Isles!

Unless this team gets some offense, these guys are going to be under a microscope

starfirestar
02-12-2003, 08:14 PM
I can't believe my ears from these Buffalo fans. Do you expect Connolly to be Joe Sakic or Petr Forsberg in just 4 seasons? I don't think so. Let him come into his own. Some players take longer to develop than others. It is only his second season with Buffalo. Give him time. If he doesn't improve in a couple years, than get rid of his ass. But, what hes done in the past four games is showing promise. If he stays consistent like this, then he might be developing into what everybody thought he would develop into.

Ebenezer
02-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Sakic and Forsberg??? The guy is not even Kotalik...get rid of him now...stop flushing money on a guy that doesn't want to be here.

Buffarama
02-12-2003, 11:05 PM
The problem with this team is the coaching. I can't bring myself to repeat why again. It's beyond old.

Judge
02-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Ebenezer- your reaction is a typical "run a player out of town" fan reaction that has plagued the Buffalo Sabres for 25 years.

Who cares if a player has offensive talent? If he isn't a mucker then he's not a "Sabres" kind of player- get rid of him!

It's way too early to write Connelly off. He needs another 2 seasons as a Sabre to see what will happen with him.

The Sabres' lack of offensive talen in general makes him even more valuable here. We need skill guys. That's why Ruff's idiotic tendency to reduce playing time for a guy like Gratton makes me seriously doubt whether he can coach in this league w/o a Hasek to protect him.

Everyone in these kinds of boards was so willing to defend Rob Johnson even after 3 years. Connelly's been a Sabre for 1 1/2 year. He deserves more time, simply because his potential is so great and what he can bring to the Sabres at a relatively reasonable price is so important to this team.

That's reality. Not Ebenezer's "get rid of the bum" nonsense.

Judge
02-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by starfirestar
I can't believe my ears from these Buffalo fans. Do you expect Connolly to be Joe Sakic or Petr Forsberg in just 4 seasons? I don't think so. Let him come into his own. Some players take longer to develop than others. It is only his second season with Buffalo. Give him time. If he doesn't improve in a couple years, than get rid of his ass. But, what hes done in the past four games is showing promise. If he stays consistent like this, then he might be developing into what everybody thought he would develop into.

This is sensible.

Especially in a league where a GM for a struggling team needs to try to turn out as much talent at as reasonable a cost as possible.

Regier was stuck between a rock and a hard place with Peca in light of ownership's refusal to make a deal. He turned Peca into 2 high first round picks who are still so young that the jury's out on them- the Sabres may be a stronger team in 2 years than NY because of this deal.

Regier did the best he could with a bad hand dealt to him- he did amazingly well considering the bad spot he was in, actually.

How can you fault a GM in this type of situation looking for talent potential like Gratton, Connelly, Pyatt, etc.? How can he do better? He can't get a high priced free agent. The best he can do is bring in talent and hope it gels. If it doesn't, don't blame him- that's all he can work with. Maybe then it'd be time to look for a coach who can tap the potential.

Patrick76777
02-13-2003, 08:49 AM
How long does one have to play in order to reach their firth season?

Ebenezer
02-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Where did I say I hate offense...don't for one minute lump me in with all the other local lunk heads who want to see mucking and grinding and low scoring games. I grew up with the French Connection, Edmonton and Quebec and 5-4 games...excuse me that I would like to go back to those days...

Now, I never called Connolly a bum...HE'S A BUST!! He has been in the league for 4 years...he can't put 10 pucks in the net...either he is a bust or doesn't want to be here...either way it is time to part ways...think about what his playing everynight does for the morale of this team. I am sure he presence in the line up makes a guy like Warraner or McKee want to play harder.

Judge
02-13-2003, 12:18 PM
What you're saying is absolutely ridiculous, Ebenezer.

The guy has the type of offensive talent this team needs.
McKee and Warrener have hardly been great lately either, and don't tell me it's b/c Connelly's on the team.

We need talent. Connelly has talent. He must stay.

Ebenezer
02-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Mark it down...Tim Connolly will never score 30 goals in a season twice more in the rest of his career.

Judge
02-13-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Mark it down...Tim Connolly will never score 30 goals in a season twice more in the rest of his career.

Idiotic. Totally idiotic point.

Who DOES score 30 or more goals in this era of hockey?

Outside of a select few, there are none. Get out of the 1980's- this is a different era of hockey.

In the 1980's NHL, he'd be a potential 35+ goal scorer, maybe 45+. In this era, he's a potential 25+ goal scorer, maybe 35+. The Sabres don't have many of those.

Judge
02-13-2003, 12:27 PM
A little education is needed:

643 NHL players of scored goals this season. Only 43 have 20 or more so far. Only 4 or 5 have 30+ so far.

Chew on that Eb.

Ebenezer
02-13-2003, 12:57 PM
Throw any stats you like...He will never amount to anything here and will be money wasted.

Judge
02-13-2003, 04:52 PM
I think you'll be wrong. He may not ever be a 50 goal scorer, but he could very well turn into a valid offensive threat like Gratton, which is pretty damn good for this team.

And if he does go, he'll trun into that kind of 60-80+ point guy somewhere else and help that team's offense.

We'll see who has the last word. I doubt it'll be you.

Ebenezer
02-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Don't worry, I'll still be here when Connolly crashes and burns.

BironsGirl43
02-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Hell yeah!! Another goal for Tim tonight.. 5 points in 4 straight games..

Ebenezer I couldn't disagree anymore with you and what you've had to say.. you're just a Tim basher.. and it's very obvious.. you won't even give someone the props or recognition they deserve.. I respect you and your opinion though.. so I won't say anything more.. other than.. that I don't agree..

Judge, I'm with you on this 100%

Buffarama
02-13-2003, 10:13 PM
I have no respect for players, nor would I want anyone on my team that turns it on and off at will.
Is TC growing, maybe. Does he play without a care, maybe. I suspect he lacks the heart and grit to give a damn.
Connolly is Turgeon lite IMO. Talented, never arriving, never a Peca, never a captain, no heart, not a leader, an underachiever, an overpaid liabilty, not championship material.
He's a really good kid though.
If I was 21 in a Sabres jersey, I'd woulda been the Tasmanian devil, no matter how green I was. Tim doesn't have that. He's a middle of the pack player.

SkateZilla
02-14-2003, 12:05 AM
connelly scored tonite...

Judge
02-14-2003, 07:54 AM
BironsGirl- You are an intelligent fan. I agree with your view, and your analysis that Eb is nothing more than a Connelly basher. Kind of like the other lemmings who are drawn to follow the media's current whipping boy.

Buffarama- We'd be very lucky to have Tim Connelly approach Pierre Turgeon's productivity. That is exactly the kind of player this team needs. Good example, too- Turgeon was blasted and lambasted while here. He's only gone on to score 480 goals and 1200+ points. Nice career- we could have used him.

Just like the Sabres need Tim Connelly now.

Tim Connelly never was meant to replace Mike Peca. He was brought he to give this team a talented, gifted young player who may turn into an offensive force. Don't hate him for not being Peca. I like him for his great talent and offensive skill, which I believe is still developing.

Ebenezer
02-14-2003, 08:20 AM
We've seen this from players before...just wait until after the trade deadline...I'll be more impressed if he is consistent next season.

Judge
02-14-2003, 08:28 AM
We've seen this from players before...just wait until after the trade deadline...I'll be more impressed if he is consistent next season.

Hopefully the Sabres won't listen to the people like you calling for his head and he'll still be here next season to find out.

Earthquake Enyart
02-14-2003, 09:03 AM
We can wait for Connolley like we have been waiting for Gratton, and Curtis Brown, and Varada, and Rasmussen, and Holzinger, and Sanderson........

Judge
02-14-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
We can wait for Connolley like we have been waiting for Gratton, and Curtis Brown, and Varada, and Rasmussen, and Holzinger, and Sanderson........

Stupid post- I'm attacking the post, by the way, not the poster Gratton's the second leading scorer on this team, and is continuing to produce as second leading scorer despite Ruff's reducing his playing time so significantly that his average ice time per game has dropped from 18 minutes to 16 minutes. What do you want from him? He produces.

Varada was never meant to be a scorer. He's a disrupter. Brown wasn't either- he's more of a two-way player in that he can score a little and play solid D, like Peca.

Sanderson has scored in the NHL at every stop except Buffalo. Open the newspaper and you'd know that. Who to blame? Not Sanderson!

Ebenezer
02-14-2003, 09:13 AM
I will agree...Sanderson was wasted here.

Brown and Varada, though, have overstayed their welcome.

lordofgun
02-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Fire Lindy NOW! I'd buy a ticket if they did.

Earthquake Enyart
02-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Judge

Stupid post- I'm attacking the post, by the way, not the poster Gratton's the second leading scorer on this team, and is continuing to produce as second leading scorer despite Ruff's reducing his playing time so significantly that his average ice time per game has dropped from 18 minutes to 16 minutes. What do you want from him? He produces.

Varada was never meant to be a scorer. He's a disrupter. Brown wasn't either- he's more of a two-way player in that he can score a little and play solid D, like Peca.

Sanderson has scored in the NHL at every stop except Buffalo. Open the newspaper and you'd know that. Who to blame? Not Sanderson!

2nd leading scorer on the leagues worst team. He's not even the tallest dwarf.

Varada is in a coma. Brown can't score. Oh we can wait for Pyatt, Campbell, Primeau, and Dixon Ward too.

You could bring Toe Blake in here to coach this clown show and he wouldn't make the playoffs.

Buffarama
02-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Listen everyone, Ruff has failed as a coach to get his players to buy in. He has failed to motivate and bring the best out. While his X's and O's may be correct, he has handled all the players wrong from immediately bashing them in the media after every game publically since day one, reducing playing time and frustrating them making them play out of position and with new lines every other shift.
I mean I could go on and on. He has mishandled the player's temperaments from day one. No one likes him. No one has ever said I became a better player because of Lindy Ruff.
Ruff has taken a group of players and brought out the worse in them. He has failed failed failed failed, I don't care what anyone says he failed. Just look at the results. Convince me other wise. Every player on this team feels bad about themselves and their play, and it's not because they're losing, it's because their coach is an egotistical self serving control freak.

Judge
02-14-2003, 10:26 AM
EE- You're full of wiseguy comments and no substance. What would you do about it?

Judge
02-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Buffarama
Listen everyone, Ruff has failed as a coach to get his players to buy in. He has failed to motivate and bring the best out. While his X's and O's may be correct, he has handled all the players wrong from immediately bashing them in the media after every game publically since day one, reducing playing time and frustrating them making them play out of position and with new lines every other shift.
I mean I could go on and on. He has mishandled the player's temperaments from day one. No one likes him. No one has ever said I became a better player because of Lindy Ruff.
Ruff has taken a group of players and brought out the worse in them. He has failed failed failed failed, I don't care what anyone says he failed. Just look at the results. Convince me other wise. Every player on this team feels bad about themselves and their play, and it's not because they're losing, it's because their coach is an egotistical self serving control freak.

His act used to work- it's been overdone and has grown stale.

That's why the players have tuned him out.

Earthquake Enyart
02-14-2003, 10:36 AM
How long has Regier been GM?

Can you name the last home grown NHL star the Sabres have had since Pat Lafontaine?

Look at the team that went to the finals and the POS we have now. Peca and Barnaby were the heart and sole of this team. Now we have Timmy, Pyatt, and Stu Barnes. :puke:

Sure the coaches act has grown old. But this team is gutless. They play with no effort. And no coach is going to change that.

Judge
02-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Since when was Pat Lafontaine "home grown" talent?

You need to study your Sabres history more before you pontificate so much, EE.

Judge
02-14-2003, 11:04 AM
PS-

Peca and Barnaby may have been the heart and soul of the team, but

Hasek WAS the team.

Don't forget that- Hasek made those guys look a heckuva lot better than they were. W/O Hasek, the Sabres from 1995-2001 probably would not have looked much different than they do now, with similar results.

starfirestar
02-14-2003, 11:07 AM
You guys are all missing the point. Tim Connolly is not a role player like Barnes, or a Yzerman, or a Modano. He is hopefully maturing into a scorer. Come on here. He is only 21 years old. He was rushed into the league by the Islanders. He is a different type of player than a Joe Thornton, or Marian Hossa. Tim Connolly is not that big, and is not going to be a grit player.

Buffarama
02-14-2003, 12:14 PM
I can't stand Regier either. He has done nothing but slowly dismantle the magic the Muckler built. With the exception of bringing in Warrener, every other move has served to weaken the team, and watching him do next to nothing the past few years is torture.
Time to clean house or the fans will never come back.

Ebenezer
02-14-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Judge
EE- You're full of wiseguy comments and no substance. What would you do about it?

If I had Galisano's money I would gut the team...I mean from the top on down...EVERYBODY associated with the hockey department (including most of the players) would be gone. I would pay whatever it took to get a guy like Bob Gainey in here and let him rebuild the program...He could move 12-18 players on the current roster and all of Rochester if he wanted to and I would stand and applaud. This team is so pitiful that it needs to be treated like an expansion team.

This was basically the strategy employed by the Knoxes when they brought in Punch Imlach and it worked for them.

Judge
02-15-2003, 05:23 AM

If I had Galisano's money I would gut the team...I mean from the top on down...EVERYBODY associated with the hockey department (including most of the players) would be gone. I would pay whatever it took to get a guy like Bob Gainey in here and let him rebuild the program...He could move 12-18 players on the current roster and all of Rochester if he wanted to and I would stand and applaud. This team is so pitiful that it needs to be treated like an expansion team.

This was basically the strategy employed by the Knoxes when they brought in Punch Imlach and it worked for them.

No surprise that EE didn't post something substantive. I've only seen him post wise guy nonsense.

Eb- I don't disagree with what you say here. Of course, the Knoxes and Punch Imlach were working with an expansion team!

I'd be in favor of a major overhaul of the roster, but with the proviso that the guys who know how to play stay as the foundation for a new lineup. That would include Gratton, Connolly, Afinogenov, Pyatt, Miller, etc. These guys are too talented to throw away for scrubs that would be available in your total overhaul.

fushetti
02-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
How long has Regier been GM?

Can you name the last home grown NHL star the Sabres have had since Pat Lafontaine?

Look at the team that went to the finals and the POS we have now. Peca and Barnaby were the heart and sole of this team. Now we have Timmy, Pyatt, and Stu Barnes. :puke:

Sure the coaches act has grown old. But this team is gutless. They play with no effort. And no coach is going to change that.

Earthquake,

Please do some research before posting because you are so far off the mark.

Regier has been GM since 97-98 when he hired Ruff.

Pat LaFontaine made his name with the New York Islanders who drafted him in the early 80's...Patty didn't play for Buffalo until October of 1991.

The answer to your question is Donald Audette...if u can call him a star...otherwise the next name would be Pierre Turgeon who came into the league 2 yrs before Audette.

The team that went to the finals did NOT have Barnaby on the team and DID have Barnes. In March of 99 the Sabres traded Barnaby to the Penguins for Stuie... Don't get on Barnes, he's the only guy with heart we have left. And furthermore, Barnaby was never the "heart" of the team. He was a crybaby loser who wanted out for two years before he was finally traded (Thank Goodness). The heart of the team, the boughners, the mays, the darryl shannon's were all traded away on regier's watch. Anyone want Boughner back? I sure do.

I agree with you that this team is gutless. They put an exclamation point on that fact when they allowed Michael Peca, their captain for God's sake, to get mauled by Steve Konowalchuk. Its a reflection on their coach. The act is old, I hope we get a new owner and a new hockey department. Wipe the slate clean and start anew.

Judge
02-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by fushetti

Earthquake,

Please do some research before posting because you are so far off the mark.

Regier has been GM since 97-98 when he hired Ruff.

Pat LaFontaine made his name with the New York Islanders who drafted him in the early 80's...Patty didn't play for Buffalo until October of 1991.

The answer to your question is Donald Audette...if u can call him a star...otherwise the next name would be Pierre Turgeon who came into the league 2 yrs before Audette.

The team that went to the finals did NOT have Barnaby on the team and DID have Barnes. In March of 99 the Sabres traded Barnaby to the Penguins for Stuie... Don't get on Barnes, he's the only guy with heart we have left. And furthermore, Barnaby was never the "heart" of the team. He was a crybaby loser who wanted out for two years before he was finally traded (Thank Goodness). The heart of the team, the boughners, the mays, the darryl shannon's were all traded away on regier's watch. Anyone want Boughner back? I sure do.

I agree with you that this team is gutless. They put an exclamation point on that fact when they allowed Michael Peca, their captain for God's sake, to get mauled by Steve Konowalchuk. Its a reflection on their coach. The act is old, I hope we get a new owner and a new hockey department. Wipe the slate clean and start anew.

Great post Fushetti- EE's so far off it isn't funny, as shown by his total lack of knowledge when it comes to the Sabres history.

Ð
02-16-2003, 04:41 PM
How about that Dave Hawerchuk, eh ? I think he was one of the best "home-grown" Sabres ever ;)

fushetti
02-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Ð
How about that Dave Hawerchuk, eh ? I think he was one of the best "home-grown" Sabres ever ;)

Yeah, didn't u guys know that the Jets were our farm team?

sabresfan18
02-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Connolly has shown sooo much improvement over the past couple games..god people lay off the guy..hes the only one who of recently has been putting the puck in the net and contributing..hes a good player and has a lot of room for improvement just like the rest of the team..the sabres need to get in some veterans to teach and play with the young guys like tim and pyatt...they could benefit and learn from these guys..tim should stay here in buffalo..he wants to be here...go tim! i luv ya