X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Flutie-Johnson debate rages on

If there’s one thing that Doug Flutie’s retirement proved this week, it’s the fact that time has done nothing to heal the wounds suffered by Buffalo Bills fans in the ongoing and always lively and enthusiastic Flutie versus Rob Johnson debate.

I feel sorry for the younger Bills fans who can’t appreciate the intensity of the argument that began in the late 1990s when quarterbacks Johnson and Flutie first emerged on the Western New York scene.
    more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Flutie-Johnson debate rages on

Flutie was 21-9 as the Bills' starter and found a way to win games. Johnson was not and did not.

Where's the controversy?
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

They both sucked, and Flutie has been at best average as an NFL QB.

In hindsight neither Flutie nor RJ desereves to be talked about, they both deserve to be forgotten

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        • May 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl
        They both sucked, and Flutie has been at best average as an NFL QB.

In hindsight neither Flutie nor RJ desereves to be talked about, they both deserve to be forgotten
        Flutie didn't suck with the Bills. Look it up. He was 21-9 and got us to our last playoff birth. He may have had a mediocre record in his other NFL stops, but he won and created excitement in Buffalo like we haven't seen since.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Johnsonites will always say "they both sucked" rather than admit the midget was better than the china doll.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

I remember how the Johsonites use to say how Rob will be in this league long after Doug retired.

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
              Flutie was 21-9 as the Bills' starter and found a way to win games. Johnson was not and did not.

Where's the controversy?
              Flutie was a backup QB that couldn't keep RJ of off the field due to predictable play. He also sucked come playoff time

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                Johnsonites will always say "they both sucked" rather than admit the midget was better than the china doll.
                they both did suck.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
                  Flutie was a backup QB that couldn't keep RJ of off the field due to predictable play. He also sucked come playoff time
                  He couldn't keep RJ off the field because of a weak coach and a meddling owner. Flutie was 21-9, for Pete's sake, and represented the last really exciting football that this franchise and its fans have experienced.

And I was no Flutie lover. When we signed him, in fact, I said that if this is the best we can do in free agency, I might as well root for another team. But he won me over because he found ways to win which we haven't found since.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    • May 2003

Oh, and Holcomb has about the same mediocre arm as Flutie, but he lacks Doug's mobility, competitiveness and leadership. So any of you big Holcomb supporters should not really be trashing Flutie.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                      they both did suck.
                      one was a great back up, the other one couldn't even make it as 3rd stringer. Like I said Johnsonites would rather say "they both suck" rather than admit one was better than the other.

While people talk about what the midget has been able to do with his physical shortcommings, the other one will be forever remembered as on of the biggest bust in NFL history. Don't think anyone can dispute that.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• TedMock
                        • Jul 2002

one was a great back up, the other one couldn't even make it as 3rd stringer. Like I said Johnsonites would rather say "they both suck" rather than admit one was better than the other.
                        Okay, I'm not a "Johnsonite," and I think they both sucked. I personally dislike both men quite a bit. They did both suck; where's the problem with that? Yes, Flutie played better overall than Johnson did. So what? He still sucked. Our defense carried us that year, and this is the god's honest truth. Was Trent Dilfer really a good starter, or did Baltimore's defense carry them to the Superbowl. I hate to say it, but that Bills team was very similar. At least Baltimore had a younger Jamaal Lewis. We had an aging Thurman Thomas. Both teams had QB's better suited for reserve roles starting, and both teams had good defenses that put points on the board for them. I actually respect Trent Dilfer more because he willingly tries to help out the young QB's. He realizes that he has a better understanding of the game, but not as much talent. Flutie has a great understanding of the game, but not as much talent. RJ was just pure dumbass. Flutie could have taken pride in helping shape a young QB if he wanted.

Anyway, Flutie and Johnson both sucked. Flutie was better than Johnson. So I guess Flutie sucked less than Johnson sucked. Smartest kid in the dumb class, lightest kid at fat camp, etc. It is what it is.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Okay , maybe not all are Johnsonites but people who view Flutie as a no.1 qb will always say he sucked and I do not dispute that. He was a great back up not a no.1 qb. Just like Frank Reich.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• Static
                            The lap dances are always better when the stripper is crying.
                            • Jul 2005

With Flutie you had a chance to win every game
                            With Johnson you had a chance to win every 4th game

Comment

• TedMock
                              • Jul 2002

Okay , maybe not all are Johnsonites but people who view Flutie as a no.1 qb will always say he sucked and I do not dispute that. He was a great back up not a no.1 qb. Just like Frank Reich.
                              I agree 100% with that. He would have been awesome as a back up. Especially with the complete change of pace he would have brought in. I just wish he was a better teammate in Buffalo.

Comment

Working...
                              X