PDA

View Full Version : Jim Lorentz

painpiljunkie
05-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Jim Lorentz Sabres have eyes on big prize

May 17, 2006

Here are five keys for the Sabres to be successful against the Carolina Hurricanes in the Eastern Conference Finals:

GOALTENDING
Ryan Miller started against Philadelphia in the quarterfinals and had a couple of bad outings, but he really got himself together for Ottawa. Actually, I thought he was one of the major reasons the Sabres defeated Ottawa. He obviously has his game in line and the same can be said for rookie Cam Ward of Carolina. Ward has also stepped in and has definitely been one of the Hurricanes top stories so far.
So, it's an intriguing matchup between goaltenders and I think that will be the No. 1 key ... as it usually is.

SPECIAL TEAMS
This is an important area for both teams, particularly the way today's NHL is called. In the regular season, Buffalo had one of the top power plays, but it has not been nearly as good in the playoffs. One of the reasons for that is the absence of Tim Connolly, who was hurt against Ottawa in Game 2. He's been one of the keys to Buffalo's power play success and they have suffered without him. Carolina, on the other hand, has one of the best power plays going in the playoffs.

<TABLE cellPadding=1 width=200 align=left border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.msgnetwork.com/mediaStore/m/miller_51706rba.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD>Miller has been solid in net since the Philly series. (AP)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>On the flip side is the penalty kill, where the Sabres have been great all year and Carolina hasn't been quite as good. I feel Buffalo is the best shot-blocking team in the NHL. The Sabres will give you shots, but will also give themselves up up too by getting into the shooting lanes. Jay McKee - who led the NHL in blocked shots - has continued his great play in that regard through the playoffs. But this team also get help from the forwards too. They aren't afraid to give themselves up and risk an injury, to make a big play on a shot block. GAME-PLAN
Both teams will tell you they have to play "their game." What makes that so interesting, is that they play a similar style: They attack with five players, are extremely aggressive, and their defense gets involved all over the ice. You see the defensemen leading or joining the rush, especially in Buffalo's case -- where they pinch as much as anyone in the league. So, both teams have to play off what got them to this point.

BETTER THAN GOOD
In Buffalo's case, it has a lot of good players throughout the lineup and has gotten production from everyone. That must continue. Your best guy has to step forward and play their best hockey of the season, and that will rub off on his teammates and lead to better results.

LINDY RUFF
Lindy Ruff is the best coach in the league and should win the Jack Adams Award for that. He's also the best playoff coach in the league and he's proven that in the past. I've said this before the playoffs even began that having Ruff on the bench is a huge advantage. He comes in there and has a knack for exposing the weaknesses of the opposition and exploiting those weaknesses. That fact, along with assistants Brian McCutcheon and Scott Arniel, have just done a wonderful job.
I'm not taking anything away from Peter Laviolette, who's also up for the Jack Adams Award, which makes for an interesting matchup of wits. But knowing Lindy's personnel and knowing how he pushes the right buttons, his team has really responded to him and has them exceeding expectations. The players have enormous respect for Lindy and have bought into his system. If anyone steps out of that system, either a coach or player will get them back in check. It's worked all season long.

<TABLE cellPadding=1 width=200 align=right border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.msgnetwork.com/mediaStore/c/connection_51706rba.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD>The 2005-06 team lacks superstars like the "French Connection" of the 1970s, but not the results. (AP)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>THEY'RE CHEERING IN BUFFALO! It's been an unbelievable experience for the city of Buffalo. It is such a great hockey town. The atmosphere reminds me of when I played during that 1974-75 season when we went to the finals. Everyone just goes bonkers! It's all they talk about. Every second car has a Sabres' flag flying and it's just really remarkable how this area has gotten behind this team. I think the people are more behind this current group than the 1999 team.
This team epitomizes Western New York: Hard workers who go out and do their job and put in a good effort, day in and day out. The fans really latch onto that and have responded to these guys.

BLAST FROM THE PAST
Its hard to say where this Sabres team ranks among past Buffalo teams, but in going back to that 1974-75 team, we had more superstars like Gilbert Perreault, Rick Martin, Rene Robert. The 2005-06 team doesn't have any superstars, but they have a similar work ethic and character. So, I think this crew is very close to that team, except they lack the superstars.
These guys are also similar to the 1999 team, but back then the Sabres had a superstar in Dominik Hasek and he was one of the reasons the Sabres advanced to the Finals. They depended highly on goaltending. They still do, but not to the extent that they did in the past.
They also have the most underrated defense in the league and don't get enough credit for that. Henrik Tallinder and Toni Lydman have just been outstanding, while guys like Brian Campbell keep on doing their thing. Rory Fitzpatrick, who had to step in for Dmitri Kalinin, has also done a terrific job.

A WHOLE NEW WORLD
Buffalo won just one of its four meetings with Carolina during the regular season, but that doesn't mean a thing. The Sabres had some horrific outings against the Senators earlier this season, but toward the end of the year they played much better against them. Then, looked what happened in the playoffs.
So, I don't think the regular season has any bearing at all on the playoffs. It's a different animal. Both of these clubs, especially the Sabres, have improved and believes in themselves. What happened during the regular season has nothing to do with the playoffs.

PUCKER
05-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Nice article. I hope Miller continues to stay in his Zone,because were going to need him at his best! :hockey:

YardRat
05-20-2006, 04:49 AM
Good article.

I think goaltending is going to be the main key to this series. Miller needs to continue his stellar play, and it will be interesting to see if Ward can continue to shine against the Sabres, who have talent on all four lines.

We need to play better against Carolina than we did against Ottawa, though...more shots on goal, more pucks in the net. Brind'amour, Weight, and Ward are a better core than Alfredsson, Chara, and Emery, IMO.

As far as where this team ranks all-time, until they reach the Cup finals, they're still behind the '74-'75 and the '99 team.