• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

post-game observations - game 1

with the game fresh in our minds lets see what all our first thoughts are about the game ...

well i wasnt online during the game as usual because i went to my parents on invitation to partake in all the free home cooked food and free beer i could consume or else i woulda been here. i hope to spend a game or four here but with the folks so pumped up for the playoff run i just might have to take advantage while the gettin is good lol

anyway a couple of observations - sorry if its already been said but ive kinda been dying to get this posted and havent read all the other posts yet

first, if i was a canes fan id be a little pissed right now. why? because by my count there were three occasions today where canes had opportunities to take point blank shots right in front of the net and they tried one too many passes instead. its rare enough to get the puck on your stick within twenty feet of the goalie and between the faceoff circles that you should just let er rip. miller has been sharp but c’mon, you gotta take those shots when they are that primo

secondly, this looked like a carbon copy of the games the sabres won on the road these playoffs, with the exception of the 7-6 shootout in game 1 against ottawa. even with the canes flying in the first period the sabres just weathered the storm and waited for their counter strike and made it count when they got it. that doesnt really bode well for the canes because the sabres appear to have that pattern down pat. of course the canes are plenty good enough to turn it all around and win, but given it was such an exact replica of what they’ve done on the road most of the time i would be nervous if i was in the canes dressing room. just like against the sens, the sabres played phenomenal positional defense against an incredibly talented set of forwards and kept most of the play away from the net and recovered well when it did happen

quite frankly ive been waiting the whole playoffs for that formula to break down and fail but theyve done it so consistently now that im finally ready to admit its something they have worked on and can win with if the have to. now it will all probably go out the window lol

finally, this was also about as rough as the sabres have played during the playoffs - too much running around in their own zone, too often not clearing the blue line when they had the chance, too many odd man rushes allowed. thank goodness they still won the game but if they keep that up the canes are going to make them pay

great start obviously and lets hope they can put the canes in the same deep hole as we did the sens on monday
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Re: post-game observations - game 1

You have to remember, Hal, that at the end we were short on defense. And we still got it done.
    i had audio only due to technical difficulties , so i can't comment on a lot of what you said....plus i'm just not that freaking smart.

But a sloppy win is still a win, and i'll take it.
    Miller rocks my world.
    Go Sabres!

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I'm concerned about the defense. I hope Numminen is OK. Losing Kalinin was one thing, but if Teppo is out for an extended period of time also Janik or somebody better step in and play the best hockey of their life.

I agree with the consistency of the 'game plan' viewpoint...this game was typical of the play-offs thus far for the Sabres, especially the Ottawa series.

Miller is quickly becoming THE stud goalie in the league.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• gannd
        Unofficial Calgary Bills Backers President
        • Sep 2005

Sounds like a good time. Wish I could do that with my parents.

Stupid cancer.

Comment

• shelby
          The Vanilla *****
          • Jul 2002

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

hmmm something weird just happened, i thought i made two different posts one of them in here and now theyre gone. not one but two. weird

yeah miller was very good again but hes been getting really good defensive play since the 7-6 game. there were too many breakdowns today esp in the first period but carolinas a pretty good team up front so maybe they had something to do with it. miller saves their bacon a few too many times but thats why hes the stud of the playoffs

shelby i didnt mean to complain but i guess i did. just respecting the canes really saying theyre gonna have to tighten up and not run around so much to keep winning. but like i said theyve made this style work so maybe they dont have to change nuthin lol
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

As usual, we played our butts off, and Miller came up big, particularly at the end when the Canes had tremendous pressure on us.

My son and I are going next Sunday to game 5 - if necessary - when I hope we'll clinch this thing. If we do, we'll have to stay in Raleigh, because we'll be partying way too much to make the 4 hour trip home.

I think it's a virtually even match, except Miller is much better than Ward in goal.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                As usual, we played our butts off, and Miller came up big, particularly at the end when the Canes had tremendous pressure on us.

My son and I are going next Sunday to game 5 - if necessary - when I hope we'll clinch this thing. If we do, we'll have to stay in Raleigh, because we'll be partying way too much to make the 4 hour trip home.

I think it's a virtually even match, except Miller is much better than Ward in goal.
                That ride should be cake compaired to the ride you have after Bills games.

Comment

• PUCKER
                  • Sep 2004

Miller stood on his head making those saves,especially in the 3rd!
                  Zapper's Hit List:
                  SABURZFAN -
                  SabreEleven -

pjw aka Mini -
                  Billsology -

Join BDZ today!!!
                  http://www.billszone.com/http://www....ad.php?t=72979

Comment

Working...
                  X