PDA

View Full Version : Bills Draft- will it really be loaded defensively?

SoCalBillsFan
02-13-2003, 01:16 AM
There seem to be a lot of people predicting that the Bills' draft will consist of mostly defensive players, or at least that the first pick (2nd rounder) will be used to fill a defensive need. Personally, I do not want to have to use the draft to find a starter. I would rather find starting defensive players via Free Ageny. If TD can fix the defense via free agency, or at least all the starting spots, then we are in a great position for the draft because we can grab talent on either side of the ball.

If TD can get a DT, LB (or 2) in Free agency and also a receiver (to give us 3 good receivers), the Bills can experiment a little in the draft. I think this scenerio is very possible. The starters would be pretty much set, and the draft can be used for depth and future players, or even to push the starters.

If the starting units are already set, then TD could use the draft, including the earlier picks, to pick the offensive or defensive players he thinks have the most upside, and position will not be as much of a factor. It will not be a need pick, but a talent pick, much like Josh Reed in this past draft. IMO this is what we should be thinking heading into free agency.

We could use the draft to get another good CB (this would be a depth pick), a WR (depending on who we sign in FA), an OL, DL, LB, another RB to replace morris, whoever TD thinks is the best player available. We won't have rely on the pick to get us a starter. WE would be in much better shape.

your thoughts?

Dozerdog
02-13-2003, 07:50 AM
The defensive starters via FA, and best available depth via the draft

keithg
02-13-2003, 08:34 AM
we all seem to agree that it would be great if we could plug our holes via FA and then go with best athlete available in the draft...I could see TD filling the DT and LB needs via FA and then draft a guy like Ken Hamlin at FS to push Priolau (sp)? After getting a few high level FA's early, I see TD waiting til after June 1st cuts to fill out the remaining needs with mid level late cut FA's. Guys like Marcus Price or Dave Moore who are not stars but can step in and help the team win.

WG
02-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
The defensive starters via FA, and best available depth via the draft

Ditto

We need the D to compliment the O now, not in 2 years.

Fatwhite02
02-13-2003, 02:12 PM
There are plenty of good defensive players in F.A. I think TD will be willing to dish out some money for them. In the draft I think just draft for quality. My personal hope is that we get Teyo Johnson because he can cause matchup problems.

justasportsfan
02-13-2003, 02:15 PM
TD made it clear when he drafted Reed," you get the best player available." He will address our needs via FA.

Earthquake Enyart
02-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Hopefully they draft a lot of special teams types

venis2k1
02-13-2003, 03:42 PM
I dont think teyo will last to our pick, i think TD would have to trade up 5-8 picks to get him.