PDA

View Full Version : Woolley and Ruff trade barbs...

Earthquake Enyart
02-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Woolley described Ruff's work environment as the "Buffalo Brainwash."
"You make a little mistake and you're bombarded with video," Woolley said. "Here it's about the big picture. There's been no pounding down of the guys.
"Guys (in Buffalo) got videoed and pounded to death. Some guys can't take it and some guys can. I could always take it, and I did for a while. But guys like (former Sabres forwards) Erik Rasmussen and Geoff Sanderson got abused there.
"Every time I sat out, I wanted to come back the next game and stick it up your (expletive). I think my teammates always respected that. But it also hurt me in that they started to think, "We know we can sit Woolley out, he's going to respond.' "
In the eight games he played after being a healthy scratch last season, Woolley had three goals and three assists.
He claimed Ruff gave preferential treatment to certain players when it came to being scratched. It irked Woolley so much that last summer he lobbied good friend and former Sabres captain Michael Peca to speak with the New York Islanders' management about acquiring him.
"Last year," Woolley said, "Lindy told the team, "I don't care who you are. If you don't perform, you're going to sit.' That couldn't have been any more B.S. because the same guys got sat out all the time.
"I just felt that no matter what I did it wasn't good enough. Lindy and I . . . I don't think I ever understood our relationship. We weren't communicating much. . . . Once my assistant captaincy was taken away (before the 2001-02 season), I felt that was a shot I didn't deserve."
Woolley said it didn't take long to shake that miserable feeling once he arrived in Hockeytown.
"When I got here I was worried about making mistakes, and then I remembered, "You're not in Buffalo anymore, brother,' " he said.
Ruff wasn't shocked to hear Woolley's pointed remarks. But the coach seemed mildly perturbed Woolley never conveyed his frustrations in person.
"He's found the gravy train," Ruff said. "He's riding on top of the world right now and he thinks it's easy when you're up there to take a shot.
"It just sounds like another player that doesn't want to be held accountable. You've got to compete on a daily basis. As a coach you listen to excuses, and Jason was a guy that needed 25 pair of skates. And it was never him, it was the equipment. His hips needed to be aligned. It was flying in a special doctor. We catered to his every need, or we tried to.
"This is his fifth team. He was put on waivers. Nobody wanted him. Everybody in the league had a chance to watch him play and pick him up for free, but they didn't."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030213/1007355.asp

Novacane
02-13-2003, 09:12 AM
[i]
"Last year," Woolley said, "Lindy told the team, "I don't care who you are. If you don't perform, you're going to sit.' That couldn't have been any more B.S. because the same guys got sat out all the time.
[/B]

Hmmmmmmmmmm.................Conolly has performed all year huh Lindy? It's time for a change. The players have tuned Ruff out and can't say I blame em. It's obvious there is preferential treatment on this team.

Rude American
02-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Interesting. Wooley is now a regular on a far better team, and I, personally, have only seen him make one mistake that resulted in a goal. The thing is though, anyone who's ever played knows that it was a tough mistake that could happen to the very best blue-liners. My opinion of him has gone straight up since watching him on the Wings.

Rude American
02-13-2003, 09:55 AM
It's time for Ruff to go. Get new philosophy in there.

Earthquake Enyart
02-13-2003, 10:31 AM
The whole team will be gone next year.

Buffarama
02-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Coaching.

Ebenezer
02-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Until Tim Connolly sits I will never believe a word that comes out of Lindy Ruff's mouth...did you know that Connolly has the 3rd longest active consecutive games played streak in the NHL right now?? That is stupid.

Sabre Ally
02-13-2003, 12:35 PM
Ruff is a :angry: :angry: :angry:

bills_phan
02-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The whole team will be gone next year.
Yo, Earthquake, you a grumpy old fatalist. It's attitudes like yours that keep Buffalo down. Maybe we will lose the team, and maybe not, but I <b>know</b> that if we do, crotchety old men like yourself will take great pleasure in saying "I told you so". Yes, we've all heard you say at least a dozen times that the Sabres will not be in Buffalo next year. Great. Move on. Either love Buffalo or get the hell out!

Ð
02-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Dude, EE's really only 26 & he lives nowhere near Buffalo

bills_phan
02-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Perhaps it's time he began acting his age...he'll make Walter Matheau look like Tony Robbins by the time he's 60.

Ð
02-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Uhh, what part of EE's schtick don't you understand :confused:

Earthquake Enyart
02-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by bills_phan
Perhaps it's time he began acting his age...he'll make Walter Matheau look like Tony Robbins by the time he's 60.

I'm sorry. You're going to have to explain this one to me :huh:

I was optimistic until the Hamister deal fell through.

Novacane
02-13-2003, 09:56 PM
Are you really only 26 EE? I guess I think of you as an old fart too because of your avatar!

BironsGirl43
02-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Yeah dude relax.. EE is a supporter and wants them to stay in Buffalo.. he's just frustrated..

Side note: EE you're really only 26?!?!

SkateZilla
02-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Rude American
It's time for Ruff to go. Get new philosophy in there.

This is the last year in his contract

MissBuffalo
02-14-2003, 04:19 PM
:wave: Bye-Bye Ruffy!!!!! Don't let the door hit you where Sabre Cat shoulda bit you.

LOL--I don't think EE's 26. He has a teenage daughter. Unless he was an "early starter."