• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Funny...

About halfway down...

I’m getting a kick out of reading everyone’s comments. As a hockey fan, I’m intrigued by this series. My favourite team (Vancouver) isn’t even in the hunt, so I’ve been enjoying the games so far without worry about my team winning, losing, or who “we” might play next.

I’m in Virginia Beach, VA and no, I’m not a displaced Buffalonian who has invaded the your area to take your jobs. In fact, I’m from Vancouver and am assigned down here to work with NATO. But let’s get a grip guys - I don’t care if you go to a race or a hockey game, when you get 15000 people in one place and add beer, stuff will happen. I’ve been to enough games back home, in Calgary, in Edmonton, in DC and down there at RBC to know that rowdy behavior is not unique to Sabres fans.
    I know that it’s fun to go and cheer for your team and yes, sometimes to talk a little smack, but some of you guys are going a bit too far.

I’d imagine that, like the rest of the NHL, a great majority of the boys who don the red come from “working class” families. In fact, a commenter above appears to infer that such people are somehow inferior to pampered pansies who are raised with a silver spoon. Maybe it’s just a Candian thing, but since when does “working class” mean anything other than a person’s 9-to-5 so he can pay the same bills you do?

I got a kick out of the jokes about snow-bank conceptions. Pretty original, and I really did get a chuckle out if it. But it got me thinking, how many boys on the Canes’ roster are from the southern US? Aren’t they all “yellow snow eaters? Aren’t you indirectly bad-mouthing your own players?

It’s easy to demonize a city because of sport. Some might even say that’s part of what makes playoffs great. But “Buffatucky”? Isn’t your state a sliver of Tri-Cities Tenesee away from Kentucky? US geography isn’t my strength, but isn’t southern New York state, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia between Buffalo and Kentucky? I think so (too lazy to look it up), but that makes those references all the more inane.

But these are the playoffs, and I know that even in non-traditional hockey markets like yours, emotions can run deep. So keep cheering for your ‘Canes. And keep booing Buffalo’s Sabres. But if you’re going to continue to rip the people of Buffalo, don’t forget to boo everytime your Kevin Adams touches the puck. He’s another one of those working class yellow snow eaters from Buffalo.

And just a few other points:

-Any self-respecting hockey fan, be he American or Canadian, knows it’s either Labatt or Molson. Budweiser? Please. I know you’re still learning about hockey and hockey culture, so let me help you out: Hockey fans don’t drink Budweiser.

-I’m reasonably sure that most Buffalonians are familiar with the US Civil War. Afterall, their side won.

-I’m not a fan but I won tickets to see a NASCAR race in Charlotte last year - my first NASCAR race (I’m more of an open-wheel fan). But being down in your part of your country was “interesting,” to say the least. I’m not sure I understand why people would start throwing punches while watching other people drive cars, but before you start getting too condescending regarding people in other parts of your country, you might want to look in your own back yard.

Aw well, root for your team. Jeer the other one. But fans are fans are fans, and they’re more than likely a lot more like you than you know.
  • BillsNick
    • Jul 2003

Re: Funny...

That was pretty freakin sweet, eh.
    That hoser just aboot showed them!

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

-Any self-respecting hockey fan, be he American or Canadian, knows it’s either Labatt or Molson. Budweiser? Please. I know you’re still learning about hockey and hockey culture, so let me help you out: Hockey fans don’t drink Budweiser.

He's right!

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Excellent article!

Comment

• JD
          Sabres Zone
          • Sep 2003

Beautiful

**** THE CANES
          “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by shelby

He's right!
            Budweiser
            How can anyone at all drink that stuff?
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
            X