PDA

View Full Version : Another D line talent is available

ghz in pittsburgh
05-22-2006, 09:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Am5w_nXeRKqIxoh3JgFmpklDubYF?slug=ap-lionsmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jauron should have first hand knowledge of Mr. Wilkinson. I know he does not fit levy's profile, but he could be a stop gap.

Tatonka
05-23-2006, 12:32 AM
it would make too much sense to sign a big tackle who can help stop the run, especially on those goal line stands and such when we realy dont need a 290 lbs DT. but then again.. sam adams filled that role perfectly and was cheap, and we sent that pro bowler packing.

clumping platelets
05-23-2006, 12:36 AM
1 yr vets minimum.......no problem

Tatonka
05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
what the hell else are we saving our money for??

Tinboy
05-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Good fit I would take him!

Jan Reimers
05-23-2006, 04:39 AM
He would appear to be too old, too fat, and too slow, the same reasons for which we cut Sam Adams. But given how relatively small and inexperienced we are at DT, I'd give him a look.

TigerJ
05-23-2006, 07:15 AM
If he comes cheap, bring Big Daddy in to camp for a look. I doubt he makes the final roster though.

Mr. Pink
05-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Here's the problem with this guy.

He doesn't fit the "system" we're employing this year...he's a clear one gap tackle that just takes up space and eats up blockers, he does have the ability to penetrate as well. He's much the same as Sam Adams who we just got rid of.

Night Train
05-23-2006, 09:33 AM
what the hell else are we saving our money for??

Probably to attempt to extend a few current young players with upside, rather than washed up dead weight.

If you are 1-2 players away from making a run, you consider signing Vets like this.

We are multiple players and at least 2 years away from challenging for a wild card spot.

Pass.

Mr. Pink
05-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Probably to attempt to extend a few current young players with upside, rather than washed up dead weight.

If you are 1-2 players away from making a run, you consider signing Vets like this.

We are multiple players and at least 2 years away from challenging for a wild card spot.

Pass.

Actually, you also sign guys like this for tutelage purposes to a young team....what are we? A young team. Who better to teach a young player the ins and outs of a position, tactics, technique, strategy than a person in the league today? Like I said though, he doesn't match the system we're employing though.

HAMMER
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Hmmmm...we just cut this player, why even discuss this?

OpIv37
05-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Here's the problem with this guy.

He doesn't fit the "system" we're employing this year...he's a clear one gap tackle that just takes up space and eats up blockers, he does have the ability to penetrate as well. He's much the same as Sam Adams who we just got rid of.

but he'll probably play for vet min, which Adams wouldn't. And we still need guys who can eat blockers in goal-line and short-yardage situations. Yeah, he's not the best guy for this team, but we're hurting at DT and I think this year will look a lot like last year if they don't get somebody up there.

HAMMER
05-23-2006, 02:37 PM
but he'll probably play for vet min, which Adams wouldn't. And we still need guys who can eat blockers in goal-line and short-yardage situations. Yeah, he's not the best guy for this team, but we're hurting at DT and I think this year will look a lot like last year if they don't get somebody up there.

This year would look even more like last year if Adams were still playing.

OpIv37
05-23-2006, 02:49 PM
This year would look even more like last year if Adams were still playing.

I'm not so sure about that. Adams' talent is on the decline and he got an attitude problem to go with it last year, but he's still better than any of the joke DT's on this roster except Tripplett.

ie, all we really did on the DL was swap Adams for Tripplett, which isn't good enough.

Dr. Lecter
05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm not so sure about that. Adams' talent is on the decline and he got an attitude problem to go with it last year, but he's still better than any of the joke DT's on this roster except Tripplett.

ie, all we really did on the DL was swap Adams for Tripplett, which isn't good enough.

You forgot McCargo and Williams.

OpIv37
05-23-2006, 03:04 PM
You forgot McCargo and Williams.

you mean the rookie who's going to rotate in with Tripplett and the late-round draft pick? Yeah, there's the answer to our prayers :rolleyes:

!Papacrunk!
05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
I wonder if he'll retire or if he will end up somewhere? I also wonder if (saying he doesn't retire of course,) if Saban and company will bring him in since it'd be nice to get better depth at that type of DT/NT and also since I think we'll be utilizing more of the 3-4 compared to last year where it was a hybrid of the 4-3--3/4. For that very specific spot, we're ever so slowly adding some youth to the 3-4 type DT but it wouldn't hurt for the depth, even if he'd play situational.

ICE74129
05-23-2006, 07:37 PM
it would make too much sense to sign a big tackle who can help stop the run, especially on those goal line stands and such when we realy dont need a 290 lbs DT. but then again.. sam adams filled that role perfectly and was cheap, and we sent that pro bowler packing.

I can hear our defensive motto now...'we may get ran over but we sure are fast!'

Dr. Lecter
05-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Once again, cover 2 does NOT use big, fat DT's.

Look at Chicago's or Tampa's D-line. They did nor have big DT's. People need to get used to that. The defense the Bills will be running is not what you are used to.

Dude
05-23-2006, 08:44 PM
They couldn't get rid of Big Duddy fast enough when he was in Cincy. He was pretty lazy back then. I would bring him in for the minimum, but wouldn't have high expectations.

YardRat
05-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Slower, lazier, cheaper. version of Sam Adams. I'll pass also.

Saratoga Slim
05-25-2006, 03:44 PM
What about Brentson Buckner? he is fairly athletic. Seems to be getting no attention at all, which surprises me some. Must be asking for too much money.