PDA

View Full Version : We had a chance to take matt leinart, a franchise type QB but

Mitchy moo
05-24-2006, 03:24 PM
We needed to stretch to get a safety. I really think that finding a franchise QB is the most important thing. You can build a good team around a franchise QB. Right now we have no one that will get us to .500 on the squad, which is really depressing.

P.S. JP went 2-9 his last year in college, Matt was 37-2 over his whole college career. Who is more likely to win again?

ICE74129
05-24-2006, 03:28 PM
We needed to stretch to get a safety. I really think that finding a franchise QB is the most important thing. You can build a good team around a franchise QB. Right now we have no one that will get us to .500 on the squad, which is really depressing.

What is depressing is every stupid post you put up repeatedly.

McGahee420
05-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Personally I think Matt Leinert would of sucked in Buffalo. He does not possess a strong arm and barely played games in the cold. Buffalo needs a QB with a strong arm when it comes to the colder days in Buffalo. The wind is strong and gets very cold. I just dont think Leinert would of excelled in Buffalo, and would of become a bust.

OpIv37
05-24-2006, 03:31 PM
I could have sworn we've already had this thread a million times.

1. Leinart doesn't have a strong arm, which is a liability in all the windy cold- weather games we play
2. Leinart would not be able to contribute right away- it would be at least 2-3 years before he would help this team at all. I don't expect Whitner to make the Pro Bowl or anything, but I do expect to see him starting sooner rather than later.
3. First round QB's are huge gambles
4. We don't know what we have in Losman yet- why waste a draft pick on someone who can't help the team now when we might already have someone who can play that position?

Picking Whitner was a stretch, I'll agree with that. But picking Leinart would have been so incredibly dumb that I can't really find the right words to describe it. Leinart is not the second coming of Joe Montana, so let it go.

McGahee420
05-24-2006, 03:32 PM

I got some Xanaxe(however you spell it) if you need it to help you with his post.

Bill Brasky
05-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Personally I think Matt Leinert would of sucked in Buffalo. He does not possess a strong arm and barely played games in the cold. Buffalo needs a QB with a strong arm when it comes to the colder days in Buffalo. The wind is strong and gets very cold. I just dont think Leinert would of excelled in Buffalo, and would of become a bust.
Yeah. Willis didn't have a strong knee and barely played games in the cold...

I don't buy the "doesn't have cold weather experience crap" unless you are a kicker/punter.

Brett Favre is from Mississippi and had a weak arm coming out of college... he did fine in Green Bay.

mayotm
05-24-2006, 03:38 PM

I don't buy the "doesn't have cold weather experience crap" unless you are a kicker/punter.

Brett Favre is from Mississippi and had a weak arm coming out of college... he did fine in Green Bay.Show me one scouting report that had Favre with a weak arm. Or could it be that you are making crap up to support your point of view?

Devin
05-24-2006, 03:39 PM

Matt Lienarts arm wouldnt last in frigid western ny.

McGahee420
05-24-2006, 03:40 PM

Brett Favre is from Mississippi and had a weak arm coming out of college... he did fine in Green Bay.

I agree, but Willis did play in the Big East where you do travel to cold places such as Pitt, Morgantown, Rutgers, BC. All depends though when they are scheduled, but he had to visit there at least once. Running backs also stay alittle warmer because they move more. But Leinert doesnt seem like the type to develope a strong arm. Anyways, I just dont think he would of been a good fit though.

Bill Brasky
05-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Show me one scouting report that had Favre with a week arm. Or could it be that you are making crap up to support your point of view?

You're right... I cannot show you a scouting report in which Favre was touted as having a "week" arm. My bad.

mayotm
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
You're right... I cannot show you a scouting report in which Favre was touted as having a "week" arm. My bad.Thank you professor for pointing out my typo, but still waiting for that scouting report.

THATHURMANATOR
05-24-2006, 04:09 PM
I would have thought this post was a month old but nope. Get over it already.

ticatfan
05-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Quincey carter just got cut by the allouettes, he is looking for a job.lol

justasportsfan
05-24-2006, 04:19 PM
:snicker:

tampabay25690
05-24-2006, 04:47 PM

I agree with you. I just wish people would understand football before they made post's just a waste of time.....

Mitchy moo
05-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Cold / Warm Weather player's is just B.S. I watched Matt play and I think he showed great composure and talent. Losman looks like a duck running from a rabid dog & we won't even go into our 3 yard champion's problems. We have no real franchise QB here, none. That is going to lend a problem unto itself and I would rather wait 2-3 years to have a winner than a dream big get little attitude we have here now. Draft was pretty freakin' deep defensively and we really didn't need a "special" safety, we need a leader and a winner. How did the team like JP's attitude last year? They didn't and think he is a arrogant *ick. Hall of fame career? It's nice to look up but when you get ***** in your eye you need to step up or shut up, JP did neither.

Take it as you will but we have a decent defensive plan spread around a turd QB situation. It's only going to get worse if we continue to kid ourselves with the future HOFer we have now in JP, HOF haha. Just to say that shows how little he knows and how far away he is.

FlyingDutchman
05-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Ya just dont get it....da ya skoob...

Mitchy moo
05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Ya just dont get it....da ya skoob...

Oh I got it and over the next few seasons we are going to get it too, Plan on a painfully long season. At least we will have a chance at one of next years top safeties.

The Natrix
05-24-2006, 05:09 PM
F leinart and F you to, Scoob.

Mitchy moo
05-24-2006, 05:11 PM
F leinart and F you to, Scoob.

Personally I think your classless to post that.

MikeInRoch
05-24-2006, 05:30 PM

Do you actually have anything new to say, or are you going to continue to post the same thing all off-season?

The_Philster
05-24-2006, 05:33 PM
I watched Matt play and I think he showed great composure and talent. Losman looks like a duck running from a rabid dog & we won't even go into our 3 yard champion's problems. I really hope you aren't serious about this. :cynic: What's Leinart done in the NFL? I don't give a :curse: what he looked like in college...it doesn't translate directly to the pros all the time.

justasportsfan
05-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Wait til' Shaggy starts posting

patmoran2006
05-24-2006, 06:40 PM
1- I like Whitner but would not have been pissed had we taken a QB either. However, the pick would have been cutler and not leinart.

2- Some people got nerve talking other's repeatedly "stupid" posts, yet the same person has whined about 762 times now over the last month that we "used a first round pick on a backup/rotational DT"

ICE74129
05-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Personally I think your classless to post that. Any you honestly think anyone cares what you think of them?

ICE74129
05-24-2006, 06:51 PM
I really hope you aren't serious about this. :cynic: What's Leinart done in the NFL? I don't give a :curse: what he looked like in college...it doesn't translate directly to the pros all the time.

I have a prediction....Lienart won't amount to crap. He doesn't seem to even like Football. I read somewhere that he would rather have been an actor. I just dont see a fire in this kid. He was part of a great team for 3 years. His whiny assed character showed after this last championship game.

ICE74129
05-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Cold / Warm Weather player's is just B.S.

Another purely stupid post. You need a strong arm in Buffalo. Lienart has a VERY Weak arm compared to other QB's. The guy was a good guy on a great team. His weaknesses will show in the NFL

Mitchy moo
05-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Another purely stupid post. You need a strong arm in Buffalo. Lienart has a VERY Weak arm compared to other QB's. The guy was a good guy on a great team. His weaknesses will show in the NFL

What was the record of his team during his tenure?

ddaryl
05-25-2006, 03:33 AM
what's the criteria for a ban ?

If he really wanted to discuss this situation couldn't he have brought up one of the dozen or so older posts that go into this debate quite thoughroughly, and most of them already started by him.

The_Philster
05-25-2006, 04:47 AM
Was he the only player on the team? :rolleyes: You really need to stay away from discussing football because the number of posts that show a grasp of football knowledge is miniscule at best. It's a team game...no player gets a W-L record in his stats

Mitchy moo
05-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Was he the only player on the team? :rolleyes: You really need to stay away from discussing football because the number of posts that show a grasp of football knowledge is miniscule at best. It's a team game...no player gets a W-L record in his stats

So if we took brady away from the pats they would score as many points? The QB is the most important position on the field, wish we had one.

HAMMER
05-25-2006, 11:09 AM

Leinarts' arm is more than adequate, this whole thing about a weak arm stemmed from the elbow problem he had in 04 which hindered him for a time. People are making far more out of it than is there. He will do very well in AZ!

Sco11
05-25-2006, 11:11 AM
**** LEINART

MVP
05-25-2006, 11:12 AM
LEINART IS A *****!

DarbyTheDinosaur
05-25-2006, 11:18 AM
If we took Leinhart he would have signed a 3 year deal and then been gone after that, whether he performed or not. He is too Hollywood...no way he would have liked Buffalo...no way Buffalo would have liked him.

For these reasons, he wouldn't of been a franchise player here. Additionally, I am with everybody else...Leinhart is a little overrated and his arm would not have worked up here.

Ditch the Leinhart rants...we didn't get him...let's move on to the present and the future.

TacklingDummy
05-25-2006, 11:26 AM
I really hope you aren't serious about this. :cynic: What's Leinart done in the NFL? I don't give a :curse: what he looked like in college...it doesn't translate directly to the pros all the time.

In Losman's case it has. He sucked in college and he sucks in the Pros.

ICE74129
05-25-2006, 11:28 AM

0-0 in the pros.

ICE74129
05-25-2006, 11:29 AM

You got that right. Not only that when will his constant barrage of crap be considered spam?

ICE74129
05-25-2006, 11:30 AM
In Losman's case it has. He sucked in college and he sucks in the Pros.

Let the jilted lover hate go already.

ICE74129
05-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Leinarts' arm is more than adequate, this whole thing about a weak arm stemmed from the elbow problem he had in 04 which hindered him for a time. People are making far more out of it than is there. He will do very well in AZ!

Disagree. His proday at So cal sucked. He really looked bad.

HAMMER
05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Disagree. His proday at So cal sucked. He really looked bad.

Were you there?

Mitchy moo
05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Were you there?

No but he knows somebody that was.

Jan Reimers
05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Todd Blackledge, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Andre Ware, Akili Smith and David Klingler were "franchise type" quarterbacks, too.

No one should presume to know who is going to become a superstar or a bust.

And we have already have a first round QB with only 8 starts under his belt. And our D sucked. And. . . aw, never mind.

Mitchy moo
05-25-2006, 12:39 PM
0-0 in the pros.

Your right but he was 37-2 in college. That's pretty impresssive.

ublinkwescore
05-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Wait til' Shaggy starts posting

:rofl:

I think Skooby has embarrassed Shaggy already to the point that he won't be making an appearance on here anytime soon.

bigbub2352
05-25-2006, 01:27 PM
lets not forget jeff george, cade mcknown, heath shuler, kyle boller, patrick ramsey, joey harrington, rick mirer, and dan mcguire all supposed to be franchise QB, Leinhart also had an amazing Oline, and two stud RB, plus a very good defense, and one of those RB happens to be the highest talent RB to come out in years that always helps QB, Leinhart would not be good here not enough paris for him here

bigbub2352
05-25-2006, 01:30 PM
sorry didnt see heath shuler

ICE74129
05-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Were you there? They replayed and analysed the crap out of it over and over and over on NFLN.

And yes he looked like SH@!. My 14 year old can throw a pro ball with more consistant spirals than Lienart did that day.

ICE74129
05-25-2006, 02:33 PM

What does that have to do with PRO football? He won't amount to spit in the pros. he has a weaker arm than holcomb.

The_Philster
05-25-2006, 03:40 PM
So if we took brady away from the pats they would score as many points? The QB is the most important position on the field, wish we had one.
most important, yes in some cases...only? Not in football

Jan Reimers
05-25-2006, 03:49 PM
The QB is the most important position on the field, wish we had one.
We do, and he's far more athletic, mobile and stronger armed than Leinart. We simply need to give JP a chance - meaning more than 8 starts - to see if he can live up to his vast potential. Leinart is no more of a sure thing than JP.

Saratoga Slim
05-25-2006, 03:51 PM
What does that have to do with PRO football? He won't amount to spit in the pros. he has a weaker arm than holcomb.

I think the Holcomb comparison is somewhat fair. Most of the reason Leinart's getting so much attention now is his game smarts and game management skills. I see him as a Brad Johnson at best, which isn't bad, but also isn't necessarily worth building your franchise around. Who knows at this point, but something about him gives me the impression he's not going to be true standout at the NFL level

justasportsfan
05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
VAn Pelt broke Marino's college records

dolphan117
05-25-2006, 07:45 PM

Brett Favre is from Mississippi and had a weak arm coming out of college... he did fine in Green Bay.Do what? Brett never had anything like a weak arm.

It wasn't long, however, before Favre got everyone's attention with his arm strength and the incredible velocity on his passes.
"The first morning, I was standing with my back to his group," Carmody said. "I heard this noise, a whooshing sound. I turned around and said, 'What in the world is that?' I coached a long time and I never heard a ball sound like that." McGee had no idea who Favre was those first few days of training camp, but he was about to find out.
"I ran a little crossing route about 5 yards over the center and sat down and he threw a 100 mph fastball," McGee said. "I caught the ball and threw it back at him and hit him in the helmet with it. I said, 'Look, calm down. I'm only 5 yards from you. You don't have to throw it so hard.'
"We had a little bond from that moment on."

"At the same time, when you've got an arm that big, you think you can get it in a crack at 40 yards and a lot of times he did," Bower said. "His sophomore year, against East Carolina, he made a throw to Alfred Williams and Alfred said he could hear the ball whistling as he was coming out of his break.
"I've never coached anybody who could make the particular throw he made. It was a deep seam and he just drilled it in there. Alfred said, 'Coach, I swear to god, it was whistling.' "
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=356600

Mitchy moo
05-25-2006, 09:13 PM
VAn Pelt broke Marino's college records

How many QB's go 37-2 in a full college career? 1 out of 1000?

Philagape
05-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Eric Crouch went 33-4 at Nebraska. Is he available?

Philagape
05-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Ken Dorsey 38-2!

Philagape
05-25-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm like 300-12 in Madden playing QB, I'll sign up

Mitchy moo
05-26-2006, 07:24 AM
I'm like 300-12 in Madden playing QB, I'll sign up

You play on XBOX 360?

justasportsfan
05-26-2006, 07:34 AM
How many QB's go 37-2 in a full college career? 1 out of 1000?
If you had Bush and co and coaches that run an NFL system, should be a whole lot. I'll tell you what, maybe we should trade for Brock Berlin.

Let it go skoobs. it's a stupid idea.

Philagape
05-26-2006, 08:08 AM
You play on XBOX 360?

PC

Mad Bomber
05-26-2006, 09:21 AM

P.S. JP went 2-9 his last year in college, Matt was 37-2 over his whole college career. Who is more likely to win again?

:deadhorse: :negrep:

Bill Brasky
05-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Quincey carter just got cut by the allouettes, he is looking for a job.lol

and a crack pipe

Mitchy moo
05-27-2006, 09:07 AM
and a crack pipe

crack whore too.

patmoran2006
05-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Joe Montana came out of college with a "weak" arm.
So did Phil Simms.. So did Boomer Esaison..

Jake Delhomme doesn't have a "rocket arm" yet he's one of the best QB's in the NFL.

Don't be so one-sighted. Matt Leinart is going to be a very good QB in the NFL, Arizona got a steal.

That being said, I'm glad the Bills didn't draft him. They are going to run a cover two along the lines of Indy and Tampa, then they NEED the players to do it successfully. Our draft picks give them that opportunity.

Mitchy moo
05-29-2006, 09:25 AM

Jake Delhomme doesn't have a "rocket arm" yet he's one of the best QB's in the NFL.

Don't be so one-sighted. Matt Leinart is going to be a very good QB in the NFL, Arizona got a steal.

That being said, I'm glad the Bills didn't draft him. They are going to run a cover two along the lines of Indy and Tampa, then they NEED the players to do it successfully. Our draft picks give them that opportunity.

Problem is our current qb's don't.

patmoran2006
05-29-2006, 12:10 PM
I'd rather have a Chicago style defense and Kyle Orton than Carson Palmer and a bum defense. (hypothetical)

Jan Reimers
05-30-2006, 07:22 AM

So did Gary Beban and Terry Baker, as well as many of the other first round busts mentioned in this thread. But I won't bore anyone with ancient history. There is no way of knowing, at this point, how good Lienart - or JP - is going to be.

I agree with you, Pat, that we didn't need a QB, but we certainly needed to rebuild our D.

Mitchy moo
08-26-2006, 08:39 AM
are we regretting this yet? He completed 12 passes in a row. JP looks like joe montana on one pass & joe black on the next.

Philagape
08-26-2006, 08:41 AM
As I said on the thread about this, a good JP + a good Whitner is worth more than anything Leinart does, so I don't care.

Mitchy moo
08-26-2006, 08:42 AM
As I said on the thread about this, a good JP + a good Whitner is worth more than anything Leinart does, so I don't care.

He entered the game with 5:13 left in the second quarter and completed 12 consecutive passes at one point. Can you even fathom JP doing that?

X-Era
08-26-2006, 08:50 AM

Wait a minute, this got bumped, and im finally reading it.

Skoob are yoy flippin serious????

Leinhart looks NO better than JP so far this preseason.

We already had JP yet you wanted Leinhart too? OK, then no Whitner and Bowen is now hurt. Who was our starting SS gonna be again?

The only part that annoys me here with this type of post is that you dont like what you see in JP, with little to no long term data proving hes not worth anything. Then you want to draft a new guy that you like the looks of with little to no long term data proving hes worth anything.

Isnt this like going to the car lot, buying a new car, not driving it, and then trading it in for another new car because you didnt like it?

Doesnt that seem ridiculous? it does to me.

Philagape
08-26-2006, 08:51 AM
He entered the game with 5:13 left in the second quarter and completed 12 consecutive passes at one point. Can you even fathom JP doing that?

Like I said, I don't care. If Whitner becomes an all-pro safety and JP a pretty good QB, it doesn't matter if Leinart turns out better. We get two good players, they get one.

In 1983, we could have drafted Marino instead of Kelly. Individually, Marino did better, but I sure don't regret it. Anybody?

Mitchy moo
08-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Wait a minute, this got bumped, and im finally reading it.

Skoob are yoy flippin serious????

We already had JP yet you wanted Leinhart too? OK, then no Whitner and Bowen is now hurt. Who was our starting SS gonna be again?

The only part that annoys me here with this type of post is that you dont like what you see in JP, with little to no long term data proving hes not worth anything. Then you want to draft a new guy that you like the looks of with little to no long term data proving hes worth anything.

Isnt this like going to the car lot, buying a new car, not driving it, and then trading it in for another new car because you didnt like it?

Doesnt that seem ridiculous? it does to me.

JP is a head case and unsure of himself. Go ask Matt how he feels about himself, he is secure. He's lives a hollywood life and doesn't talk about it, which is the right way.

Philagape
08-26-2006, 09:01 AM
JP is a head case and unsure of himself. Go ask Matt how he feels about himself, he is secure. He's lives a hollywood life and doesn't talk about it, which is the right way.

Yeah, Hollywood is a utopia of mental stability. Like someone else pointed out earlier, I'd question the sanity of anyone who dates Paris Hilton. :rolleyes:

Philagape
08-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Of all the arguments in favor of a QB, his hollywood connections has to be the all-time dumbest. The Drew worshippers make a better case for Bledsoe.

X-Era
08-26-2006, 09:55 AM

ahh, hatred for JP has clouded your judgement.

I gave you logic, you gave me crap.

TacklingDummy
08-26-2006, 10:16 AM

Whats Leinart had, 2 weeks of camp? He looked more poised in the pocket last night on the few clips I seen than JP has looked in 3 years.

X-Era
08-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Whats Leinart had, 2 weeks of camp? He looked more poised in the pocket last night on the few clips I seen than JP has looked in 3 years.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, youre putting me to sleep. Kind of like what happens when Romper Room comes on.

TacklingDummy
08-26-2006, 10:23 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, youre putting me to sleep. Kind of like what happens when Romper Room comes on.

Always thought you were a kid.

Mitchy moo
08-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Always thought you were a kid.

Romper room is a good show, 10 drinks in.

Typ0
08-26-2006, 02:23 PM
I love the way people compare Leinhart to JP and declare ML doesn't look any better...yeah...they are both ROOKIES with two weeks in the NFL aren't they so that's what we should expect..duh.

Also, let's say there is a 50% chance a first round QB will be a bust. That means if you have two first round QBs on your team you have a 75% chance of having a winner as opposed to a 50% chance. I'll take the better odds at the most important position on the field any day. Maybe DW turns out to be a pro-bowler...what good is it going to do if our QB sucks wind for the next four years? Picking a safety at number 8 was ******ed.

Luisito23
08-26-2006, 02:42 PM
In 1983, we could have drafted Marino instead of Kelly. Individually, Marino did better, but I sure don't regret it. Anybody?

NEVER!!....Jimbo 4 life baby!!!!!!!!!!......

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

TedMock
08-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Skoob, it was just a couple of weeks ago that you posted something to the effect of how we should be excited about this season because of the young, offensive talent on the team, and I believe JP was one of the people you pointed out in a positive light. Seeing that the kid actually looks more comfortable out there, and is actually taking more of a leader approach, why the bi-polar change of heart? He may end up sucking, but he appears more at ease than last season which is a huge step in the right direction.

X-Era
08-26-2006, 03:45 PM
I love the way people compare Leinhart to JP and declare ML doesn't look any better...yeah...they are both ROOKIES with two weeks in the NFL aren't they so that's what we should expect..duh.

Also, let's say there is a 50% chance a first round QB will be a bust. That means if you have two first round QBs on your team you have a 75% chance of having a winner as opposed to a 50% chance. I'll take the better odds at the most important position on the field any day. Maybe DW turns out to be a pro-bowler...what good is it going to do if our QB sucks wind for the next four years? Picking a safety at number 8 was ******ed.

Using your pecentages, theres a 25% chance that ANY fan here, on this board would agree with having 2 1st round QB's and NONE that have proven anything in real games. Hell, we have one already and cant manage to shut these people up, you think adding another one helps? NOT!

TedMock
08-26-2006, 03:50 PM
One more thing. The best passer I've ever seen is Dan Marino. Give me Jim McMahon and the 1985 Bears defense anyday. Give me Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Ravens anyday. We're not there yet, and I'm not suggesting we're close, but we've taken the proper steps in my opinion. There is no need (in fact it's stupid) to compare JP to Leinart, Cutler, Rivers, Manning, or anybody else at this point. He has to be a solid team player who makes a big play here or there if our defensive strategy pans out. He has the physical tools to make those periodic big plays. Experience on the field will only help him make smarter, more efficient decisions in between the big plays. For better or worse, the kid played at Tulane. He did not play in the Pac 10, SEC, ACC, Big 10, etc. Even the worst teams in these conferences are facing greater competition than he did. That's no secret. One of the knocks on him was that he'd take a little longer to develop because of it. He'll get his full season this year, and we'll know. If he turns out to be an above average QB with the occasional big play, and Donte Whitner ends up being a stud safety, we're better off than a team with a weak defense and a stud QB. JP needs to be a leader of the football team, not of statistics.

MDFINFAN
08-26-2006, 04:25 PM

JP this year, because he will be playing this year, Matt will be on the sidelines observing. Your hope if JP, Matt is a dream at this point and JP impressed me a lot last year. I don't know if running a new O will set him back any this year, but he should get better as this year goes by..actually I'm a little worried about he and evan's chemistry...You guys won't be one game I take likely, even thinking we should beat you isn't enough to keep me from thinking ppl will take you lightly, i.e., phins and get beat.