PDA

View Full Version : NC article

LABillsFan
05-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Jennifer Brevorka, Staff Writer
Complaints about Buffalo Sabres fans began before the puck hit the ice at the RBC Center last weekend. Carolina Hurricanes supporters found their northern counterparts to be obnoxious, rude and drunk. By some accounts, belligerent Sabres fans swore in front of children, shouted during the national anthem and got into fights.

http://www.newsobserver.com/665/story/443694.html

RockStar36
05-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Not a bad article at all.

clumping platelets
05-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Complaints about Buffalo Sabres fans began before the puck hit the ice at the RBC Center last weekend. Carolina Hurricanes supporters found their northern counterparts to be obnoxious, rude and drunk. By some accounts, belligerent Sabres fans swore in front of children, shouted during the national anthem and got into fights.

It's worse at a NASCAR event

Bill Brasky
05-26-2006, 12:42 PM

Yeah, like they are all civilized at nascar events.

These people need to get a grip... move on, it's a week old already.

EpiK-KA14
05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah, like they are all civilized at nascar events.

These people need to get a grip... move on, it's a week old already.

Talk about moving on. One day you will understand the difference between Raleigh and Charlotte. Raleigh isn't NASCAR country at all. There's probably a bigger Jeff Gordon contingent in Buffalo...

(Go 'Canes!)

don137
05-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Maybe people in Raleigh drink there beers with there pinky out and can't stand passionate fans. I agree race car people are just as bad if not worse. In Charlotte the week before the Coca-Cola 600 they have whats called Speed Street in Charlotte and they close off 10-15 blocks and have a big NASACR event with many of the sponsors there handing out stuff, race cars are on display, interactive events with racing, many bands and appearances by many race car drivers. Anyway some restaurants in Charlotte close down for the weekend because of all the drunken activities going on.
Like I said, maybe Raleigh fans are a little snobby like some of those restuarants in Charlotte are and think they are a little better than everyone else and when someone else that is a little different than them comes along they get all bent out of shape.

EpiK-KA14
05-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Maybe people in Raleigh drink there beers with there pinky out and can't stand passionate fans. I agree race car people are just as bad if not worse. In Charlotte the week before the Coca-Cola 600 they have whats called Speed Street in Charlotte and they close off 10-15 blocks and have a big NASACR event with many of the sponsors there handing out stuff, race cars are on display, interactive events with racing, many bands and appearances by many race car drivers. Anyway some restaurants in Charlotte close down for the weekend because of all the drunken activities going on.
Like I said, maybe Raleigh fans are a little snobby like some of those restuarants in Charlotte are and think they are a little better than everyone else and when someone else that is a little different than them comes along they get all bent out of shape.

See? That's more like it!

Actually, we do have a very big "white collar" contingent, but that's just par for the general population of this area.

But don't claim we don't have our share of passionate fans. You forget you are talking about Tobacco Road and ACC country. There is a huge ACC basketball/football contingent here that is split fairly evenly between Duke, UNC, and NCState fans. What happened when the 'Canes came to town was it offered the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) the first team that they could all root for together. And it's caught on. Hence the reason the 'Canes are known for having the best pre-game tailgate parties of any NHL team. It's a carryover from Football, which is all this area really knew before the 'Canes showed up. Most of them just assumed it was only natural to show up 3 and 4 hours before a game to party...

Bill Brasky
05-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Talk about moving on. One day you will understand the difference between Raleigh and Charlotte. Raleigh isn't NASCAR country at all. There's probably a bigger Jeff Gordon contingent in Buffalo...

(Go 'Canes!)

I think I understand quite well considering I've been to both places several times.

EpiK-KA14
05-26-2006, 01:21 PM
I think I understand quite well considering I've been to both places several times.

"Been to" and "lived in" are two different things. I've "been to" Buffalo several times since my sister went to college at UB,. But I'd never pretend to know everything about the place, other than you've got some pretty darn good chicken wings and a big waterfall. Yet that hardly gives me the ability to accurately judge your city...

Bill Brasky
05-26-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm not pretending to know anything... btw we don't have a waterfall, Niagara Falls does though.

GO DUKE LACROSSE!

EpiK-KA14
05-26-2006, 01:27 PM
btw we don't have a waterfall, Niagara Falls does though

EXACTLY! Doesn't that get old?

Now you understand about Raleigh and the NASCAR jokes...

Bill Brasky
05-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Not really, I'd rather be associated with great food and a natural wonder than a hillbilly sport that any ****** with a set of wheels and some bumper stickers could do.

I don't buy into the excuse that it is "basketball country"

The Canes are your only major sports franchise in the Raleigh area, and yet you still can't sell tickets for a playoff game.... even when basketball season is over. Pretty sad if you ask me... especially considering that the economy is so great and full of "snobs who drink with their pinkies out"

Earthquake Enyart
05-26-2006, 01:33 PM
She must have sat near :fat:

Dr. Lecter
05-26-2006, 01:37 PM
That is not very nice EE.

EpiK-KA14
05-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Not really, I'd rather be associated with great food and a natural wonder than a hillbilly sport that any ****** with a set of wheels and some bumper stickers could do.

I don't buy into the excuse that it is "basketball country"

The Canes are your only major sports franchise in the Raleigh area, and yet you still can't sell tickets for a playoff game.... even when basketball season is over. Pretty sad if you ask me... especially considering that the economy is so great and full of "snobs who drink with their pinkies out"

Even if I agree with you about NASCAR, more people attend NASCAR races each year than visit the Falls. And while Buffalo Wings are great, so is Carolina BBQ...

As for selling playoff tickets, your upper deck tickets for season ticket holders averaged $20 a piece. They are $80 here for ours. Compound that with the fact the team didn't TELL US how much the tickets were going to cost until last week, and a lot of us had some serious sticker shock.

Am I defending the fact that it took us a while to sell all the tickets? No. But the games did sell out.

Yet if we got to pay what you guys paid for your tickets, we'd have been sold out just as quick as you did.

nbcaffeine
05-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I've been up and down the east coast, and it seems that no matter where you go, there are nascar fans. Its a nascar country. Good thing hockey doesn't have their numbers, or else tickets would be crazy expensive and hard to get!

Never been to Raleigh, bet its nicer there year round than here in WNY

[edit]
Oh yeah, and I get drunk no matter what the ocation: Bachelor party, birthday party, Sabres game, days that end in Y :beers:

EpiK-KA14
05-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Never been to Raleigh, bet its nicer there year round than here in WNY

Overall I can't complain. Winter happens on a Thursday.

A breeze in the summer might be nice though. Hot and Humid does get a bit old by mid August...

Earthquake Enyart
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I don't care how the weather is. You still live around thousands of mealy mouth hillbillies.

Bill Brasky
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Even if I agree with you about NASCAR, more people attend NASCAR races each year than visit the Falls. And while Buffalo Wings are great, so is Carolina BBQ...

As for selling playoff tickets, your upper deck tickets for season ticket holders averaged $20 a piece. They are $80 here for ours. Compound that with the fact the team didn't TELL US how much the tickets were going to cost until last week, and a lot of us had some serious sticker shock.

Am I defending the fact that it took us a while to sell all the tickets? No. But the games did sell out.

Yet if we got to pay what you guys paid for your tickets, we'd have been sold out just as quick as you did.
I don't know where you're getting your information, but playoff tickets here were higher than yours and we sold out in less than 12 minutes.

You only sold out because us "economy ravaged, piss poor Buffalonians" spent money to go down to your city, support our team, and put money into your economy.

If your season tickets are 80$ for uppers I agree that is pretty assinine. I don't know if you have your facts straight though, even in hockey hotbeds I'd be hard pressed to find people paying 80$ for uppers... the Rangers and Islanders don't even charge that at the box office and they have some of the highest prices in the league, so I have a hard time buying that arguement, esp for a team that can't sell playoff tickets.

KC BBQ is better than anywhere else... Dinosaur BBQ is better than anything I've ever had in either of the Carolinas, and it's a northern franchise :up:

Dr. Lecter
05-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Epik, how high are expcetations in Carolina? Are most fans confidant? What would a loss or win tonight do to the fans expectations?

nbcaffeine
05-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I'll agree with Jfree on DinoBBQ. I got a bottle in the cupboard just waiting for a hunk of meat!

However, that region of the country produces some of my favorite stuff on earth (JD & Jim Beam)

Oh, and those delicious cigarettes
:smoke:

Bill Brasky
05-26-2006, 01:52 PM
I'll agree with Jfree on DinoBBQ. I got a bottle in the cupboard just waiting for a hunk of meat!

However, that region of the country produces some of my favorite stuff on earth (JD & Jim Beam)

Oh, and those delicious cigarettes
:smoke:

JD and Jim Beam baby... though that is some Kentucky n Tenessee ****... that's like saying the Rock n Roll hall of fame is in the Buffalo area.

Yo NB, we gotta bust out that Dino sauce for your party!!

EpiK-KA14
05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
I don't know where you're getting your information, but playoff tickets here were higher than yours and we sold out in less than 12 minutes.

You only sold out because us "economy ravaged, piss poor Buffalonians" spent money to go down to your city, support our team, and put money into your economy.

If your season tickets are 80$ for uppers I agree that is pretty assinine. I don't know if you have your facts straight though, even in hockey hotbeds I'd be hard pressed to find people paying 80$ for uppers... the Rangers and Islanders don't even charge that at the box office, so I have a hard time buying that arguement, esp for a team that can't sell playoff tickets

KC BBQ is better than anywhere else... Dinosaur BBQ is better than anything I've ever had in either of the Carolinas, and it's a northern franchise :up:

#1 - Playoff ticket information came from this article: http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/443757.html

#2 - I never said anything bad about Sabres fans. Please don't put words in my mouth.

#3 - You misunderstood me. Season tickets aren't $80 a pop for uppers. They are more like $20. Which is why last week they told us they were going to be $80 for this series, they didn't exactly sell like hotcakes.

#4 - To each his own about the BBQ. (Personally I agree with you. BBQ sauce should be thick and red, not vinegar based. But then again I grew up as a New Yorker too.)

EpiK-KA14
05-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Epik, how high are expcetations in Carolina? Are most fans confidant? What would a loss or win tonight do to the fans expectations?

Overall? Nervously optimistic. Most of us simply feel we are the better team - especially with all your injuries, and that if we play like we are capable of that in the end we will win the series.

Unfortunately, since Cole got hurt we've had very few games where we've played up to the level this team is capable of and that scares us. We do realize that if we DON'T play our best we can't beat you guys.

So with that said, we see this game as huge. If we let it slip away, I think we realize we probably won't beat you 3 straight. But if we win, we like our odds in a best of three against you guys, especially with 2 of the 3 at home.

EDIT: Cutting out of work early. Too nice here. I'll check back later. Thanks for the civil debate! :D

Bill Brasky
05-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Wow that article is full of misconstrued facts.

20$ for an upper ticket... more like 100$... 200$+ if you are going through scalpers.

The only way you could lock in a 20$ is if you had a season ticket in that section (which not many people did), you had the ability to lock in that price for the playoffs which is pretty fair... one of the perks of being a season ticket holder.

The only problem is that most of the season ticket holders are in the lower sections, where they pay more per ticket, so they are still paying quite a bit for their playoff tickets and most people in the uppers are paying box office.

SabreEleven
05-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Jennifer could use a little make-up.

Bill Brasky
05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Overall? Nervously optimistic. Most of us simply feel we are the better team - especially with all your injuries, and that if we play like we are capable of that in the end we will win the series.

Unfortunately, since Cole got hurt we've had very few games where we've played up to the level this team is capable of and that scares us. We do realize that if we DON'T play our best we can't beat you guys.

So with that said, we see this game as huge. If we let it slip away, I think we realize we probably won't beat you 3 straight. But if we win, we like our odds in a best of three against you guys, especially with 2 of the 3 at home.

EDIT: Cutting out of work early. Too nice here. I'll check back later. Thanks for the civil debate! :D
I feel the Sabres are the best team of the two at even strength. The sad thing is these teams haven't played each other with healthy rosters the entire season, counting the playoffs, there were always key guys out of the lineup on either side.

I feel we have a few more weapons and better goaltending, eventhough Carolina has 2 of the best players in Staal and Cole... but right now Carolina has the upper hand considering all the injuries to the defense on Buffalo

It sucks with all the injuries, I would have liked to see a matchup with Tim and the rest of our defense healthy... and I would have liked to see Cole on the ice, it would have made the series THAT MUCH more entertaining.

I don't like watching teams beat up on injury-riddled squads.

Tonight is a MUST WIN for the Canes. If they lose no way they beat us 3 straight even with all the injuries... best thing going for us is we have the home advantage tonight.

don137
05-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I agree with Jfreeman. If both teams were 100% I feel hands down the Sabres are the better team but its not Carolina's fault the Sabres have so many injuries.
With the Sabres playing two minor leaguers does not bode well for them but the Sabres system is deep and they have better goaltending so who knows....
Carolina BBQ is delicious and I am sure if any of you tried it you would be a fan.
I will see first hand how good the Hurricane tailgate will be this Sunday. I am not your drunk obnoxious Sabres fan but will bring my "A" game when it comes to rooting for my Sabres. I don't think much compares to a Bills tailgate.

JD
05-26-2006, 02:22 PM
They forgot to mention that we sold crack to school kids..

Had sex with nuns...

and ran over blind people...