PDA

View Full Version : The obligatory shot at the city of Buffalo

chernobylwraiths
05-28-2006, 08:02 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060528/1059631.asp

Attention, Gloom City: It's far from over

5/28/2006
RALEIGH, N.C. - Buffalo Sabres fans poured out of HSBC Arena after Game Four Friday to find their city shrouded in a fog.

It was no surprise to find the clouds lying on the earth. After all, the sky had fallen.

With a 4-0 win on Friday, the Carolina Hurricanes tied their Eastern Conference finals series with Buffalo at 2-2, but the mood in Western New York is much darker than a deadlock...

I hope the News stops putting this guys crap in their paper. But since they actually employ Bucky Gleason and Jerry Sullivan, they seem to like spewing negativism.

RockStar36
05-28-2006, 11:34 AM
What the hell is this person talking about?

Attention NASCAR-ville -- The Sabres are going to kick your ass

YardRat
05-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I didn't think the article was that bad...and it's not like he's totally off base. How many people just on this board were ready to write the season off during and immediately after the Friday game?

RockStar36
05-28-2006, 11:42 AM
That's just the nature of Buffalo I guess. It's one of the reasons that I stopped listening to WGR for a few years. I just started listening again recently and almost quit after yesterday.

SABuffalo786
05-28-2006, 12:04 PM
No, as much as a t*at as that guy is, he's absolutely dead on in that article.

Everywhere I looked the past couple days, you'd think we're down 3-0 going back to Carolina.

Dr. Lecter
05-28-2006, 12:18 PM
I agree with the guy. The way the fans acted at the end of the game Friday, I was embarassed.

Too many people in this town, whine and cry non-stop.

chernobylwraiths
05-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Oh, so the fans should have been happy with that poor effort on Friday? All season the one thing the Sabres never did was quit and that's kind of what it looked like on Friday. Plus, don't give me that crap about how the officials didn't have any part in the loss. I don't think the Sabres would have won anyway with the effort, but it was a return ot old time hockey for the refs as they decided to put the whistles away again. This is getting ridiculous with the refs. The Sabres style is predicated on the assumption that interference be called. I know they have benefitted from non calls as well (like Roy's interference on Drury's goal in game 3) but I think the calls should be made, all of them.

Many fans are upset about the loss. They also have a reason to feel snakebit with the fact that three of our top 5 defensemen have been lost for significant time. I think the fact that the fans put on the brave face and felt we could win despite having been ravaged in the defensive corps was a testement to a fanbase that tried to help out any way that it could. I listened on TV and could here the chants of "Let's go Buffalo!" after the first and second goals. I think I even heard them after the third. The fans did their part to try and uplift the Sabres and the players let them down. In a game when you are lacking defensively, the Sabres forwards tried to "help out the defense", but in effect put more pressure on them by not even scoring one goal. Gerber played well and made some really nice saves early, but put almost no pressure on him when push came to shove. Even Lindy Ruff told of Briere's comments of trying to help out the young defense told the reporter that it was a load of crap. What they needed to do was score more goals than the other team and put some offensive pressure on them. Scoring zero goals will never win a game.

Mostly though, I was talking about the shot of weather at Buffalo. How the fog was there before and after the game. I fact that I saw was very strange as I drove back home from HSBC before the game. He also told of how great the weather is back at home was in the 80s (like it will be today).

It is a fact that there are doom and gloomers out there. It is also usually true that those with the loudest voices are many times the biggest whiners. That doesn't make them always wrong, but it definitely doesn't make them the voice of everyone. At least a large portion of our population this week have gone up and down with the results of Sabre contests. I still think a large portion of their population still don't know what hockey is and will be watching replays of the CocaCola 600 today instead of watching "their" Hurricanes.

chernobylwraiths
05-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Besides, I hate when people come here for a week and think they have a good gauge of the community by being at a sporting event.

Most people who live in this area for a while, love the area. It is the politicians and the fact that they get nothing done, along with the high taxes that everyone hates.

Wolffman
05-28-2006, 01:11 PM
I agree with that guy. Waaaay too many fans thought the whole thing was over after friday.

RockStar36
05-28-2006, 01:42 PM
I have no idea if every city is like this, but it seems to be like Buffalo fans go from one extreme to the other in a split second.

Michael82
05-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Oh, so the fans should have been happy with that poor effort on Friday? All season the one thing the Sabres never did was quit and that's kind of what it looked like on Friday. Plus, don't give me that crap about how the officials didn't have any part in the loss. I don't think the Sabres would have won anyway with the effort, but it was a return ot old time hockey for the refs as they decided to put the whistles away again. This is getting ridiculous with the refs. The Sabres style is predicated on the assumption that interference be called. I know they have benefitted from non calls as well (like Roy's interference on Drury's goal in game 3) but I think the calls should be made, all of them.

Many fans are upset about the loss. They also have a reason to feel snakebit with the fact that three of our top 5 defensemen have been lost for significant time. I think the fact that the fans put on the brave face and felt we could win despite having been ravaged in the defensive corps was a testement to a fanbase that tried to help out any way that it could. I listened on TV and could here the chants of "Let's go Buffalo!" after the first and second goals. I think I even heard them after the third. The fans did their part to try and uplift the Sabres and the players let them down. In a game when you are lacking defensively, the Sabres forwards tried to "help out the defense", but in effect put more pressure on them by not even scoring one goal. Gerber played well and made some really nice saves early, but put almost no pressure on him when push came to shove. Even Lindy Ruff told of Briere's comments of trying to help out the young defense told the reporter that it was a load of crap. What they needed to do was score more goals than the other team and put some offensive pressure on them. Scoring zero goals will never win a game.

Mostly though, I was talking about the shot of weather at Buffalo. How the fog was there before and after the game. I fact that I saw was very strange as I drove back home from HSBC before the game. He also told of how great the weather is back at home was in the 80s (like it will be today).

It is a fact that there are doom and gloomers out there. It is also usually true that those with the loudest voices are many times the biggest whiners. That doesn't make them always wrong, but it definitely doesn't make them the voice of everyone. At least a large portion of our population this week have gone up and down with the results of Sabre contests. I still think a large portion of their population still don't know what hockey is and will be watching replays of the CocaCola 600 today instead of watching "their" Hurricanes.
Excellent post, chern! Anyone that was *****ing about the fans after game 4 needs to open their ****ing eyes. The Sabres didn't give us a reason to chant "Let's Go Buffalo!" and scream our heads off. They didn't deserve our major support with how ****ty they played.

Dr. Lecter
05-28-2006, 05:37 PM
I hope you never have a bad day at work Mikey.

The fact is this team has already given us more than expected this year. They have advanced farther than any of us dreamed they would. This is not the Bills of this past year. To boo off of one bad game is disgraceful and shows the maturity level of many fans.

And my eyes were open Mikey. For the entire game, unlike some people who ran out early. The fans were embrassing children at the end of the game.

Dr. Lecter
05-28-2006, 05:43 PM
And let me add one more thing: too many people go from on extreme to the other after one game. The idea that one playoff game means the Sabres are winning the Cup or are never going to win again is crap.

People need to remember Marv Levy talking about not getting too low with the lows or twoo high with the highs.

chernobylwraiths
05-28-2006, 06:16 PM

The fact is this team has already given us more than expected this year. They have advanced farther than any of us dreamed they would. This is not the Bills of this past year. To boo off of one bad game is disgraceful and shows the maturity level of many fans.

And my eyes were open Mikey. For the entire game, unlike some people who ran out early. The fans were embrassing children at the end of the game.

Hey, I understand there are idiot fans, there are always idiot fans. As a good fan, you try to make others feel welcome and try not to take things too seriouisly. Most of the idiot fans are the ones who drink too much and boo every bad play. I understand that. But to say that it was everyone or even the majority of the fans is going too far. As I have said many times, it is the attitude of the young that have to have instant gratification, that if their team loses "they suck" and if they win "they are the greatest". You can't get away from that, but if you act with class, someone will see that too. They will see those that make the experience crappy, but might say "the majority of the fans were cool.

What can you do man? I won't take my kids to a game for fear that I run into one of those idiots who will swear their head off dropping f-bombs every other word. I know if I ask them to be a little more curteous, they will tell me to go F myself and that I shouldn't bring my kids to the game if I don't want them to hear that stuff. But to denegrate an entire area for a few, even a few hundred idiots is going way overboard IMO.

Michael82
05-28-2006, 06:40 PM

Well, I guess I can say that it's because of the price the people pay for tickets. When you pay over $100 per ticket to see your favorite team play and saw them kick ass in the last game, you kinda expect them to not play like total ****. I understand that they are allowed a bad game once in a while, but the whole team looked like ****. They felt like they didn't want to be out there and werent in it. IMO, a team like that doesnt deserve our applause or support at the team. I didn't boo the team, but i definitely didn't start cheering in the 3rd period when it looked like the Sabres already threw in the towel. I never leave games early, but once that 4th goal was put in, i knew it was over and had to be to work that night. So I tried to beat the crowd. Little did I know that everyone else felt the same way. The arena emptied out fast.

Mr. Pink
05-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Hey, I understand there are idiot fans, there are always idiot fans. As a good fan, you try to make others feel welcome and try not to take things too seriouisly. Most of the idiot fans are the ones who drink too much and boo every bad play. I understand that. But to say that it was everyone or even the majority of the fans is going too far. As I have said many times, it is the attitude of the young that have to have instant gratification, that if their team loses "they suck" and if they win "they are the greatest". You can't get away from that, but if you act with class, someone will see that too. They will see those that make the experience crappy, but might say "the majority of the fans were cool.

What can you do man? I won't take my kids to a game for fear that I run into one of those idiots who will swear their head off dropping f-bombs every other word. I know if I ask them to be a little more curteous, they will tell me to go F myself and that I shouldn't bring my kids to the game if I don't want them to hear that stuff. But to denegrate an entire area for a few, even a few hundred idiots is going way overboard IMO.

To the second part, every city is like that. People will curse out stupid plays and stupid decisions whenever they chose. They feel paying the money for the seat gives them some kind of entitlement to do whatever the hell they want without regard to others around them. And it gets worse if you're a fan of the opposite team, even here in HSBC arena.

I grew up in Cleveland....The Barons were at the time the IHL affiliate of the Penguins back when McEachern and Jimmy Paek and such where there, so I became a Penguins fan. In 2001 I believe, the Sabres and Pens played game 7 of the first round here in Buffalo. I attended the game sporting my Jagr jersey. I had fans throw things at me, cuss me out, hit me, etc. Between periods, I went outside to have a smoke there was another Pens fan that was getting interviewed by a local TV station. Some Sabres fan literally went up to him and cold-clocked him for no reason. It was still sweet to see Darius score on Hasek with that weak wrister.

So everyone around here wants to claim that we are the "best fans" in the world, when you get treatment like this as a fan of the opposing team you remember it. You tell others, who in turn tell others and it spreads. Most of you probably don't care about this, but it's still part of the fan experience. I didn't pay 100 dollars to get beers chucked at me, I went to enjoy the game. More fans need to think before acting. All in all though, it makes fans in WNY no different than pretty much anywhere else.

The_Philster
05-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Sad but true, FunTimes :down: