PDA

View Full Version : A closer look at the Bills' new defensive scheme

The_Philster
05-30-2006, 04:50 AM
Thanks to their new coaching staff, the Buffalo Bills have switched their defensive scheme from a 4-3 to a Tampa 2. Although it is a variation of the Cover 2, rarely are any explanations given on how it works and what the players are expected to do. Because of its proven track record, the Tampa 2 is gaining popularity in the NFL, and the Bills hope to join three other notable teams who use it. more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/05/buffalo-bills-defense300506.html)

Devin
05-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Great read! Very encouraging.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Good article.

What he didn't really get into is that it is absolutely essential for a team to have the right personnel at every position to make the system work well. As I see it, right now, there are some questions about whether the Bills have the right type of personnel at every position at this point.

The rookies that the Bills drafted were selected because they fit the system, so, beyond their need to get experience, I'm not really worried about them. Same with Tripplett. Additionally, I expect Kelsay and Anderson who played in this kind of defense in college to actually do better in it than they were able to do in last year's system.

Where my real concern is, though, is at the LB positions:

My first concern is about whether Spikes will return from his injury with the same kind of speed that he had before he was hurt. If he does, the Bills should be in pretty good shape, but, if he doesn't, that could be a real problem.

My second concern is Posey, who almost seems more suited to playing DE in this system than OLB: I have serious doubts about whether he has the speed necessary to get the job done the way the system demands. The article does mention Crowell as an alternative to Posey and he may well be--which is why I'm not as worried about this position as I might otherwise be. Also, I see Ellison as a guy that could be groomed to step in there if Crowell turns out not to be the answer.

But, my biggest concern is actually Fletcher. When he came into the league, Fletcher played in this system and did well enough to make a name for himself. But, the problem, as I see it, is that that was a long time ago and Fletcher has a lot more miles and wear-and-tear on him now than he did then. As the article states, the MLB in this system has to cover the deep middle zone and, as much as I love Fletcher, I remember him getting beaten like a drum a couple of years ago trying to cover RBs who were running deep routes down the middle. If Fletcher had problems covering those RBs then, I have to wonder how well he will be able to cover WRs in that deep zone in the Cover 2 now. Until I see how the DTs play when the action begins, that is my biggest concern about whether the Bills have the proper personnel to play a Tampa 2 defense successfully.

Of course, even if the Bills have personnel who do fit the system at every position, there is still the question of how well those players will be able to play the system. And, there the question-marks abound...and will only be answered, one way or the other, as the team goes through the season.

Jan Reimers
05-30-2006, 07:03 AM
It seems that a number of our existing defensive players are better suited to the Tampa 2 than our previous D schemes. Those that weren't, such as Adams and Milloy, are gone and have been replaced by draft picks and FAs that fit the new system.

At least Levy and Jauron have a plan and are actually acquiring players that will be successful in the new schemes. That's more than I can say for the Donahoe/Williams/Mularkey regimes

Statman
05-30-2006, 07:33 AM
It seems that a number of our existing defensive players are better suited to the Tampa 2 than our previous D schemes.

Well, since they all pretty much sucked in other schemes, that's not a bad guess.

His analysis completely misses the point that Tampa's had some of the best players in certain positions since they've been successful with this defense. As to the draftee class of juniors, we'll see who on this team is left when they come of age.

Statman
05-30-2006, 07:34 AM
A number of our current defensive players may actually be better suited to the waiver wire.

The King
05-30-2006, 07:53 AM
The key to the Tampa Two is that Coy Wire never be allowed to step onto the field.

OpIv37
05-30-2006, 09:18 AM
The key to the Tampa Two is that Coy Wire never be allowed to step onto the field.

As a S, I would agree with you. I've heard Wire described as a "tweener"- too small for an LB but too slow for a safety. But this article says the MLB drops into deep pass coverage (beyond 15 yards of the LOS). What if Wire were to come in for Fletch at MLB at obvious passing downs? Fletch is fine for stopping the run and short pass coverage, but I don't see him covering too many WR's in a footrace beyond 15 yards. Putting Wire on the field would be like having 3 safeties- I think even Wire could be decent with two other safeties to help him out.

justasportsfan
05-30-2006, 09:25 AM
As a S, I would agree with you. I've heard Wire described as a "tweener"- too small for an LB but too slow for a safety. But this article says the MLB drops into deep pass coverage (beyond 15 yards of the LOS). What if Wire were to come in for Fletch at MLB at obvious passing downs? Wires biggest weakness is covering the pass.

OpIv37
05-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Wires biggest weakness is covering the pass.

well it's not exactly Fletcher's strength either. And how the hell did he make an NFL roster as a DB who can't cover the pass. That's like a QB who's biggest problem is throwing the ball.

justasportsfan
05-30-2006, 09:40 AM
well it's not exactly Fletcher's strength either. And how the hell did he make an NFL roster as a DB who can't cover the pass. That's like a QB who's biggest problem is throwing the ball. I'll take Fletcher's pass coverage skills over Coy's anyday. Coy was a linebacker who was converted into a db. That's how he got there and won't even say he's made it since he can't cover. He's kept his job on the team because of how he plays at ST.

ICE74129
05-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Wires biggest weakness is covering the pass.

Agreed, that makes him more of a liability than an asset in this defense.

ICE74129
05-30-2006, 09:52 AM
What I can't understand is how Marv and DJ watching Chicago this year, didn't get the hint and get a bigger DT. Yes he still needs to be quick and can have good endurance. But the issue is Pittsburgh Ran all over Chicago in the snow at chicago this year. They replay Bettis running dead over Urlacher all the time on NFLN.

Now I am 100% all for picking a system, and getting players for the system. But here is the caviot, great coaches adapt. Not only on the field but in their systems. I would rather us have a guy that starts and plays the bulk of the snaps at the NT position weighing around 315-320.

Relying on Anderson to man NT honestly scares me and I dont' think worries opposing OC's very much. I think he is another good rotational guy that should play say 10-15 snaps a game tops, while a bigger guy gets the bulk next to Tripplet.

The other thing that worries me is they are thinking the LB corp is great. It is IF, Spikes is 100% and you keep Guards off of fletcher. I don't see either being a reality this year.

Now for the positive, Clements, no clements I think we are going to have one of the best damn secondarys out there by 07. Our safetys will be unreal. Although I don't like WHERE and WHEN he was picked, I have no issue with the talent Whitner has. My point all along is great lines make average secondarys good. What happens if we had a great line AND great talent in the secondary?

Captain gameboy
05-30-2006, 11:40 AM
In the beat a dead horse category, Ahmad Brooks, if healthy and motivated, is the perfect piece to the Tampa 2 puzzle.

Speed.................check.
Size....................check.
Pedigree...............check.
D1 experience......check.

Healthy?.....Who knows.
Attitude?.....Who knows.
Cost?...........Not Cheap.

Still, I'd roll the dice on him.

ICE74129
05-30-2006, 01:31 PM
In the beat a dead horse category, Ahmad Brooks, if healthy and motivated, is the perfect piece to the Tampa 2 puzzle.

Healthy?.....Who knows.
Attitude?.....Who knows.

I don't see the Bills touching him.

Mr. Pink
05-30-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't see the Bills touching him.

I posted on the possibility of us getting him in the supplemental draft when he lost his ability to play in college. Through the time between then and now, judging off how we've been selecting players, ie character based. I tend to agree with Ice here that we won't touch him.

He'd be a nice fit though for sure.

Captain gameboy
05-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Ya.
We took a lot more of a sure thing in going after Willis.

Billsrock4life
05-30-2006, 01:51 PM
good read, thnx for posting that up!

EDS
05-30-2006, 04:03 PM

Healthy?.....Who knows.
Attitude?.....Who knows.

Brooks is apparently tipping the scales at around 280 right now, so he may be the perfect candidate at DE, not linebacker.

ICE74129
05-30-2006, 04:09 PM
I posted on the possibility of us getting him in the supplemental draft when he lost his ability to play in college. Through the time between then and now, judging off how we've been selecting players, ie character based. I tend to agree with Ice here that we won't touch him.

He'd be a nice fit though for sure.

Not only that, can you see the Bills being willing to lose a first day pick next year for this guy?

Mr. Pink
05-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Not only that, can you see the Bills being willing to lose a first day pick next year for this guy?

Without the character issues maybe. The injury risk is enough to deter a team but add character problems on top of it and it's a lot of risk especially at the risk of day 1 pick. Even more so for a team that's going to be picking near the top of each round. Could be a high reward guy for sure, but he's also high risk.

If he plays to the form he showed whoever takes him is getting a steal. However if his troubled past follows him or the injuries follow him it's a waste.

Captain gameboy
05-30-2006, 06:21 PM

Yep.

First day=3rd rounder in this case.

I can see it and I can hope for it.

24 months ago Ahmad Brooks was not a first day pick, he was a first hour pick.