Clear All
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

PFW Chat Wrap

Not sure if this was posted so...

Mike in the Buff:
    How bad are the Bills?

Mike Holbrook: (4:13 PM ET ) Mike: It's not a good sign having so many veterans, several of whom are known as leaders, not to show up for the OTAs. I still have big reservations about the quality of their offensive line and obviously the QB situation. In that division, with top playoff contenders like the Patriots and Dolphins, I really see the Bills struggling to win five games.

Darryl in the Buff: Mike, don't know how you think the Bills will only win 5 games, their defense WILL be much better, they WILL have an offensive identity, they have a good schedule at the end of the year in the cold, and their OVERALL coaching is much improved. You should put them on your 'Could Surprise' list.

Mike Holbrook: (4:48 PM ET ) Darryl: Having grown up in Western New York, I would love to. Don't think it'll happen this year, however.
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: PFW Chat Wrap

Mike: It's not a good sign having so many veterans, several of whom are known as leaders, not to show up for the OTAs

I am starting to believe that a solid portion of our demise over the last 5 years has much to do with TD not bringing in high character guys. Vonuntary or not, showing up makes a difference, and makes a statement.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
      ....I really see the Bills struggling to win five games.

.....Don't think it'll happen this year, however.
      It wouldn't surprise me. That's about where I see them being this season at this point (although, obviously, I will want to see how they look in TC and the preseason before I make any predictions).

With a new offense, an entirely different defensive system, a large turnover in players on the roster and it being very likely that rookies will see substantial playing time over the course of this up-coming season, it would be shocking to me if the Bills didn't struggle this season. And, depending on what happens this season and next off-season, they may not be more than mediocre (8-8) next season, too. You don't turn over the mess that this team was at the end of last season overnight--nobody could.

But, I seriously doubt that this will be a team that will quit like last season's team did. And, if everything goes right, the Bills could be a surprise team next year. But, there are still a lot of questions that have to be answered first and not all of those answers will be positive, but I do expect a different attitude from the team this season even if all of the pieces aren't in place yet.
      Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

I am with Ddaryl on this. I will state right now that Willis wont' be here next year. I don't see us keeping Fletcher, vincent and possibly a couple others either.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
          • Aug 2005

I am excited to get younger on defense after seeing guys like Merriman, Tatupu, Thomas Davis, and all those guys play it just seems like the young guys coming into the league on defense are playing at a higher caliber right off the bat. I expect huge things from Donte Whitner THIS season. These young guys fly to the ball and just love to play. We already have Vincent and Clements' replacements so replacing the other two guys will be top priority. I think this will probably be Fletcher's last solid year as a pro.
          SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
            I will state right now that Willis wont' be here next year. I don't see us keeping Fletcher, vincent and possibly a couple others either.
            Willis still has 2 years left on his contract?

I agree with you on Fletcher and Vincent not being here next year. The couple of others I see not being here also next year are Losman and Clements.

Comment

• eyedog
              • Jul 2002

Since they are rebuilding, can someone tell me the reason vincent should be playing and get the reps over our young safety we drafted ?
              Don't tell me he will groom him and get him ready. Thats bs, it is not the qb position. The best way to learn is for them to play.
              Get rid of Vincent and Fletcher now. Why wait. They sure as hell aren't leading.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy

I agree with you on Fletcher and Vincent not being here next year. The couple of others I see not being here also next year are Losman and Clements.
                Losman will be here. Your jilted hate will just have to continue. Losman is a guy that stays here and busts his ass. Willis runs around miami knocking up chicks and doing TV shows. Who do you think is leaving?

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                  Losman will be here. Your jilted hate will just have to continue. Losman is a guy that stays here and busts his ass. Willis runs around miami knocking up chicks and doing TV shows. Who do you think is leaving?
                  Next year? Losman, Vincent, Clements and Fletcher.

Big deal if Losman stays here and busts his ass. If it doesn't show up on gameday, what good is it? For example.... going by your theroy...Rob Johnson was a great practice QB. How come he's still not on the roster?

For a million dollars a year I'll go bust my ass at One Bills Drive, I won't miss a single workout or practice. Does that mean I should be on the roster and start this year?

Comment

• HAMMER
                    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by eyedog
                    Since they are rebuilding, can someone tell me the reason vincent should be playing and get the reps over our young safety we drafted ?
                    Don't tell me he will groom him and get him ready. Thats bs, it is not the qb position. The best way to learn is for them to play.
                    Get rid of Vincent and Fletcher now. Why wait. They sure as hell aren't leading.
                    Let's not get crazy, you don't cut your leading tackler and one of the best LB's in the league.

Comment

• eyedog
                      • Jul 2002

Best lb's in the league? LOL.
                      He won't be here next season, he surely isn't leading the young players, and I almost forgot he led the 29th ranked defense last year in tackles.
                      I really don't think he will be missed much.
                      And if they play Vincent over Simpson then they are really wasting time.

Comment

• eyedog
                        • Jul 2002

I would rather go 5-11 with young up and coming players then go maybe 6-10 with 30+ yr olds playing safety, linebacker, and qb.

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Next year? Losman, Vincent, Clements and Fletcher.

Big deal if Losman stays here and busts his ass. If it doesn't show up on gameday, what good is it? For example.... going by your theroy...Rob Johnson was a great practice QB. How come he's still not on the roster?

For a million dollars a year I'll go bust my ass at One Bills Drive, I won't miss a single workout or practice. Does that mean I should be on the roster and start this year?
                          You might. But I think its funny, you say for a mill per you would go bust your ass at OBD. Too bad 11 veterans on this team don't feel that way.

Comment

• billsburgh
                            • Jul 2003

is it your belief that Losman has absolutely no chance of improving and becoming a better qb with more experience and playing time? if so, what has lead you to this conclusion?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloBillsStampede
                              I am excited to get younger on defense after seeing guys like Merriman, Tatupu, Thomas Davis, and all those guys play it just seems like the young guys coming into the league on defense are playing at a higher caliber right off the bat. I expect huge things from Donte Whitner THIS season. These young guys fly to the ball and just love to play. We already have Vincent and Clements' replacements so replacing the other two guys will be top priority. I think this will probably be Fletcher's last solid year as a pro.
                              I wouldn't count on Youboty just yet. He's pretty raw. He got burned a handful of times when I watched him play. King is far more polished but undersized and will have trouble with bigger receivers. McGee is all we have who is starting quality at this point. If Clements leaves, it would be wise for Marv to seek another 4-6 year veteran.

Comment

Working...
                              X