PDA

View Full Version : I am sick and tired of reading about how good this D will be

OpIv37
05-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Let's face the facts, people. First, this is not the '04 D in any way shape or form.

DL: Lost Williams and Adams, picked up Tripplett and McCargo. These guys may be better for the Cover 2, but they do not have nearly as much run-stuffing ability. DE's are the same. Clearly worse now than in 04.

Linebackers: Spikes, Posey, Fletcher: The same but 2 years older with Spikes coming off a very serious injury. Crowell is coming into his own, but on the whole this unit is also worse than in 04.

CB's- Clements and McGee- Same as '04 with McGee playing better and Clements playing worse. I'll call it even.

S- Lost Milloy, picked up Whitner and Bowens, Vincent is 2 years older. This unit will probably be better in 07 than it was in 04, but until Whitner and Simpson get some experience, it's worse than 04.

Anyone who compares the 06 D to the 04 D just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Beyond that, we have a new system that all the players need to learn, a first year Defensive Coordinator in Fewell, and several rookies who will either be starting or seeing significant action (Whitner, McCargo, Simpson and maybe Youboty). And while our DT's are probably better suited for the Tampa 2, they are not run stuffers.

On top of that, I've seen a lot of stuff about how the Tampa 2 shuts down the pass. What about how it stops the run? This topic is worthy of a thread on it's own.

This D will finish in the bottom half of the league, if not the bottom third. All we can hope for is improvement as the season wears on

EDS
05-31-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't think anyone is expecting to become the number one defense overnight. The real question is what does this defense look like for the 2007 season - when the veterans and rookies alike have a year in the system under their belt.

The team is very young right now and to expect them to compete for the playoffs this year is unrealistic. It would be great if it happens, but I don't think there are many people who actually expect it to happen.

THATHURMANATOR
05-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Can't anyone get excited about something around here?

ICE74129
05-31-2006, 12:08 PM

About what? Explain to me what there is to get excited about as for as the Bills are concerned?

OpIv37
05-31-2006, 12:13 PM

tell me what I said that was incorrect, and tell me what I should be excited about.

Mr. Pink
05-31-2006, 12:16 PM
I am excited that we have the best special teams in football.

Get excited!

I couldn't think of anything else, sorry.

mysticsoto
05-31-2006, 12:23 PM
tell me what I said that was incorrect, and tell me what I should be excited about.

Oh, I don't know Op...

- the fact that we wanted TD gone and a new FO leader and we've gotten that.
- the fact that we wanted Mularkey's terrible coaching and leadership out of here and we got that.
- the fact that we wanted to improve a horrendous defense that was ranked what? 29th or so in the league? Even if we move up to the bottom half or bottom 3rd as you mention, it would still be an improvement to what we had last year.
- the fact that we wanted that lazy fat slob Mike Williams to be gone and he is, replaced with Jason Peters who performed excellently in his 1st year at the position.
- the fact that so far, Everett is not hurt. :)
- the fact that we obtained some sick defensive backs that will be with us for years to come and a very good likely replacement for Clements after this year so we don't have to break the bank with him.
- the fact that our coaching staff believes in competition and will force players to improve and give their all if they want to grab a roster spot (huge competition in the RB, WR, TE and CB positions).
- Most of all, for the fact that we have gotten away from the previous dynasty's failings and are moving toward a new era. The DB prospects look fantastic and the defense if not this year, will be a force to reckon with in 2007 and onward. Next year, the offense will likely get focused on in the draft - you can't do it all in 1 year - but atleast, there does appear to be a plan and the future is being planned for.

What else should you get excited about? It's almost June now...one step close to the season starting!!!

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
I have never seen more negative people in my life than on these frickin message boards man.

HAMMER
05-31-2006, 01:05 PM
I have never seen more negative people in my life than on these frickin message boards man.

There sure are a few that can't be positive about anything, you are correct.

justasportsfan
05-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh, I don't know Op...

- the fact that we wanted TD gone and a new FO leader and we've gotten that.
- the fact that we wanted Mularkey's terrible coaching and leadership out of here and we got that.
- the fact that we wanted to improve a horrendous defense that was ranked what? 29th or so in the league? Even if we move up to the bottom half or bottom 3rd as you mention, it would still be an improvement to what we had last year.
- the fact that we wanted that lazy fat slob Mike Williams to be gone and he is, replaced with Jason Peters who performed excellently in his 1st year at the position.
- the fact that so far, Everett is not hurt. :)
- the fact that we obtained some sick defensive backs that will be with us for years to come and a very good likely replacement for Clements after this year so we don't have to break the bank with him.
- the fact that our coaching staff believes in competition and will force players to improve and give their all if they want to grab a roster spot (huge competition in the RB, WR, TE and CB positions).
- Most of all, for the fact that we have gotten away from the previous dynasty's failings and are moving toward a new era. The DB prospects look fantastic and the defense if not this year, will be a force to reckon with in 2007 and onward. Next year, the offense will likely get focused on in the draft - you can't do it all in 1 year - but atleast, there does appear to be a plan and the future is being planned for.

What else should you get excited about? It's almost June now...one step close to the season starting!!!You HOMER

BTW, the babe on your sig still gets me excited :D.

Bill Cody
05-31-2006, 01:10 PM
I am sick and tired of sick and tired type people.

OpIv37
05-31-2006, 01:50 PM

you haven't been a Bills fan very long, have you?

Dozerdog
05-31-2006, 01:55 PM
There are a half dozen or so on this board who will never be optomistic - and will go the extra mile to remind everyone else of that.

Have faith or hold out hope? Good for you.

Are you a results- only guy and won't be happy until there is a consistent winner? Well- good for you too.

But like I said- some people feel it's their mission to be so wrapped up in this stuff that they have to drag everyone else down if they aren't satisfied with the product.

By all means- it's a long offseason- let's get a 6 month ulcer going.

OpIv37
05-31-2006, 01:57 PM
There are a half dozen or so on this board who will never be optomistic - and will go the extra mile to remind everyone else of that.

Are you a results- only guy and won't be happy until there is a consistent winner? Well- good for you too.

But like I said- some people feel it's their mission to be so wrapped up in this stuff that they have to drag everyone else down if they aren't satisfied with the product.

tell me what I said that was incorrect- convince me that I don't have a damn good reason to be pessimistic.

Dozerdog
05-31-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm not saying you are right or wrong- just like Mystic isn't right or wrong.

I'm a "Let's see them on the field before I :up: or :down: the moves" guy.

It's the "I have to convince everyone that my take on this team is the correct take on this team" that wears me out. If someone has a differing opinion then they are a Homer/ pom-pom waver/ ******.

To be honest OP, I hardly read the first 3-4 lines of any negative nancy posts because there isn't ANYTHING new in there we haven't heard a hundred times already.

Reality says you
- Can't fix everything at once
- Draft every player you want
- Buy everyone in free agenct
- spend unlimited amounts of money

I think the Bills have fixed some stuff- but then again- we will have to wait and see.

ICE74129
05-31-2006, 02:06 PM

It WAS a long offseason. Camp is in about 7 weeks or so. The meat of the offseason has come and gone.

Mr. Pink
05-31-2006, 02:11 PM
tell me what I said that was incorrect- convince me that I don't have a damn good reason to be pessimistic.

Those who follow with blind faith that no matter what the Bills do is correct cannot form an argument that one should be optimistic. None of these moves we've done is for anyone who's a proven commodity in this league so we're forced to sit back here and hope and pray that somehow someone elses' trash will be our treasure with not a lot of realistic aspirations for that to occur.

All of us "negative nancy" posters, which I guess would include myself, look at things more on the realistic approach and don't just blindly smile and nod to every move that is done from One Bills Drive.

There are people on here who honestly believe this team can challenge for the division title but give no basis as to why this will occur or hell even that this team will be competitive but also no reasoning behind why. If you wanna load up on this expectations then by all means go for it, personally I'd rather not sit here and blindly expect things out of players who haven't shown in the past they can meet them. I won't be disappointed if this team is 5-11 at the end of the year because I expect it, I will be disappointed if this organization looks as much in disarray as it did last season.

I am hopeful and optimistic that this team makes strides towards being competitve. The key is towards being competitive not actually being competitive. Facts are we in the bottom third of the league talent wise and head coaching wise. Now because my optimism and hopes are placed in this arena as opposed to thinking that this team is playoff bound I'm a doom and gloomer?

You know who else might challenge for the playoffs this year? The 49ers they had a good draft, they're gonna turn it around overnight. NO, they have holes, just as many as we do. If anyone on these boards seriously suggested that the 49ers will compete in their division they'd be laughed at, yet several people on here blindly think the Bills will, when they're both similiarly bad teams at this juncture. Why?

It goes much like we all applaud the hiring of Dick, who's been a career loser at HC then in the same breath laugh that the Dolphis brought in Mularkey as the OC. It's complete and total hypocrisy. We sit here and optimistically think that Dick is the second coming of Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick but Mularkey is automatically junk and garbage. I don't get the reasoning or philosophy behind this.

We bring in Melvin Fowler who's been a classic underachiever in the NFL to play the O-line, a guy that was beaten out as a Brown by a 7th rounder...we like this move, we think it stabilizes our line but then the Jags get Mike Williams who hasn't been as bad on the field as Fowler, has more talent than Fowler and we laugh at the Jags and STILL make jokes about "Fat Mike."

It confuses me to no end. How come the junk we picked up is good and is going to lead us to the promise land BUT Miami is going to be complete garbage now with Mularkey? As one example.

justasportsfan
05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
tell me what I said that was incorrect- convince me that I don't have a damn good reason to be pessimistic.your concerns were right on. But like I said, pessimists like yourself harp on the negatives and ignore the positives that mystic pointed out.

billsburgh
05-31-2006, 02:24 PM
I've learned my lesson over the past few years about being overly optomistic, so I wont get too excited about the team until I see some results on the field. I'm just taking the wait and see attitude. This doesnt mean I will be less of a fan, it just means that I'm not getting my hopes up too high only to be disappointed again. As for *****ing about all the negatives, and being pessimistic all the time, that's just not me. I might do it occasionally, but I cant be negative all the time.

goodkarma
05-31-2006, 09:05 PM
I am excited that we have the best special teams in football.

Get excited!

I couldn't think of anything else, sorry.

I agree.

jmb1099
06-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Those who follow with blind faith that no matter what the Bills do is correct cannot form an argument that one should be optimistic. None of these moves we've done is for anyone who's a proven commodity in this league so we're forced to sit back here and hope and pray that somehow someone elses' trash will be our treasure with not a lot of realistic aspirations for that to occur.

All of us "negative nancy" posters, which I guess would include myself, look at things more on the realistic approach and don't just blindly smile and nod to every move that is done from One Bills Drive.

There are people on here who honestly believe this team can challenge for the division title but give no basis as to why this will occur or hell even that this team will be competitive but also no reasoning behind why. If you wanna load up on this expectations then by all means go for it, personally I'd rather not sit here and blindly expect things out of players who haven't shown in the past they can meet them. I won't be disappointed if this team is 5-11 at the end of the year because I expect it, I will be disappointed if this organization looks as much in disarray as it did last season.

I am hopeful and optimistic that this team makes strides towards being competitve. The key is towards being competitive not actually being competitive. Facts are we in the bottom third of the league talent wise and head coaching wise. Now because my optimism and hopes are placed in this arena as opposed to thinking that this team is playoff bound I'm a doom and gloomer?

You know who else might challenge for the playoffs this year? The 49ers they had a good draft, they're gonna turn it around overnight. NO, they have holes, just as many as we do. If anyone on these boards seriously suggested that the 49ers will compete in their division they'd be laughed at, yet several people on here blindly think the Bills will, when they're both similiarly bad teams at this juncture. Why?

It goes much like we all applaud the hiring of Dick, who's been a career loser at HC then in the same breath laugh that the Dolphis brought in Mularkey as the OC. It's complete and total hypocrisy. We sit here and optimistically think that Dick is the second coming of Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick but Mularkey is automatically junk and garbage. I don't get the reasoning or philosophy behind this.

We bring in Melvin Fowler who's been a classic underachiever in the NFL to play the O-line, a guy that was beaten out as a Brown by a 7th rounder...we like this move, we think it stabilizes our line but then the Jags get Mike Williams who hasn't been as bad on the field as Fowler, has more talent than Fowler and we laugh at the Jags and STILL make jokes about "Fat Mike."

It confuses me to no end. How come the junk we picked up is good and is going to lead us to the promise land BUT Miami is going to be complete garbage now with Mularkey? As one example.
There is alot in this post I respect but I want to speak to a few things about the rest of it
1) Following with blind faith: There are some who will always follow the Bills with Ralph Wilson colored glasses on, but don't mistake optimism for blindness, in most cases that's not what you're dealing with here. What you have for the most part are people who see the things that need to be addressed, have lived through years of mediocrity, but still choose to support the team. You can call it follishness if you like, but its chosing to be optimistic rather than pessimistic, simple as that.
2) Being a realist: You do not need to be a pessimist in order to be a realist. In fact most folks here that have chosen to be optimistic have acknowledged that we may not be competitive this year but still hope that we are. Its still being realistic, but hoping to be pleasantly suprised at the same time.
3) Negative Nancy View is not always realistic: It can be, but it can also have its own form of "blind following" as well. Some get so caught up in being perpetually negative that they can't even acknowledge anything positive anymore. I have a friend at work who is as stubborn on the Losman issue as TD and he cannot, will not, acknowledge any positives for Losman period. Its not realistic, just negative and blind, just like saying that those who blindly follow the organization think DJ is the second comming of BB. No one has said this, comparisons to each having a losing record at one point have been made, and lots of comments hoping DJ will be as successful as BB, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone saying that DJ is the second coming of BB. Lots of people saying wait and see because what else can you do at this point?
4) What do you expect us to do? I've asked this question a number of times and have never gotten a response. Should we boycott games? Burn our jerseys, write letters to OBD? What is your solution? I ask because continually witching about it hasn't worked. Now its about here that I suspect someone to say "neither has being optimistic" and I'll agree with that all day. So what's the difference? I'm not gonna have an ulcer or a migrane going into this season. I will be able to enjoy this season for what it is and if the Bills provide me with a little extra something thats cool.

Night Train
06-01-2006, 04:23 AM

:bf1:

What cracks me up is that these people believe they're the only ones who can see problems with these team and need to " Ejamacate " us. Then get really upset if some still chose to see a positive.

I don't expect the Bills to do much this year but can finally see a plan in place, which may indeed move in a positive direction.

Sorry for having faith and being a fan .

more cowbell
06-01-2006, 07:27 AM
his name is MATT BOWEN..........not bowenS its BOWEN

TigerJ
06-01-2006, 07:31 AM
As wikth just about everything else with the Buffalo Bills (except special teams) I'm taking a wait and see approach with the defense. Yes, they are moving to a different system (the Tampa 2). Yes, they have acquired the type of players that should fit that system, and yes, the talent level of the secondary should be pretty high.

But we really don't know if McCargo and Williams can play at the pro level. We don't know if the system change will let Tim Anderson be more effective, (or Jeff Posey)

If the Bills brain trust is right, the Bills should be moving in the right direction, but I have to see them on the field before I get too excited.

jamze132
06-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Anyone who compares the 06 D to the 04 D just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Uh... dude, your entire post compared the 06D to the 04D.

TedMock
06-01-2006, 08:18 AM
:bf1:

What cracks me up is that these people believe they're the only ones who can see problems with these team and need to " Ejamacate " us. Then get really upset if some still chose to see a positive.

I don't expect the Bills to do much this year but can finally see a plan in place, which may indeed move in a positive direction.

Sorry for having faith and being a fan .

You just hit the nail on the head. It's not that the positive-thinking fans are of the belief that we're going to the Super Bowl. I don't even think any of us believe that we're fielding a .500 team this year. What I do think is that the reality is this team needed a rebuild. Not an overnight, sign the big-dollar guy, one-year of excitement followed by several bad years. See the false-hope, 9-7 a few years ago.

What we need is to be patient, and fair with the new regime. I'm sorry. I know it sucks for all of us to have to do, but otherwise we go through this all over again, every 3-4 years. Right now, there is a plan. There is direction. Right or wrong...we'll see in a couple of seasons. I like direction. I miss having direction.

Reality is that this is a young team, and there will be a lot of young mistakes made. It will be very frustrating, quite often. However, if this team grows, gets better, makes better decisions, gains confidence, as the year progresses. Well, now we'll have something to get excited about. Sit back, and look forward to watching this young team grow together. It will be fun.

OpIv37
06-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Uh... dude, your entire post compared the 06D to the 04D.

Allow me to clarify- I was talking about the people who have said the 06 D will equal the talent/skill/success of the 04 D. The 04 D was legendary, the 06 D will be a train wreck.