• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

How does the Tampa 2 stop the run?

I've seen a lot of stuff about how it stops the pass, but nothing about the run. The system relies on smaller guys up front to pressure the QB, and the MLB is supposed to be helping the safety with playing pass D on potential receivers beyond 15 yards of the LOS.

Well, if the MLB is dropping deep and we have small guys up front, how the hell do we stop the run? If it's an obvious run situation, the MLB can cheat up. But if it's say, 2nd and 6, how do you keep the MLB close enough the the LOS to help with the run without leaving the middle of the field open for a 20 yard pass?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: How does the Tampa 2 stop the run?

OPV dude relax. Tampa was 6th against the run this year. How do they stop the run? Talent. Which is why we won't be able to.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I'm just asking an honest question here. There's obviously something about this D that I don't understand and I'm hoping someone can fill me in.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
        I'm just asking an honest question here. There's obviously something about this D that I don't understand and I'm hoping someone can fill me in.
        Well I can say I have seen it RAN OVER....

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

How does the Tampa 2 stop the run?

Tackle the rb?
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Basically- instead of fat guys like Sam Adams holding their ground and occupying blockers for Linebackers to clean up ( see London Fletcher's #s the past 3 seasons) the OL guys are supposed to be quick off the ball and get around/by the blocks and disrupt the run in the backfield- or at least clog up the running lanes.

The idea is to beat the big, slow OL guy with quickness. He can't push you out of the way if you beat him on the snap.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
              Basically- instead of fat guys like Sam Adams holding their ground and occupying blockers for Linebackers to clean up ( see London Fletcher's #s the past 3 seasons) the OL guys are supposed to be quick off the ball and get around/by the blocks and disrupt the run in the backfield- or at least clog up the running lanes.

The idea is to beat the big, slow OL guy with quickness. He can't push you out of the way if you beat him on the snap.
              Thanks Dozer- that makes some sense.

What about goal line/short yardarge situations? That's scary.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Thanks Dozer- that makes some sense.

What about goal line/short yardarge situations? That's scary.

Here's my take on how the cover 2 stops the run...much like the 3-4 in some aspects just a different way of going about it.

The Dline has to get penetration and disrupt the running lanes and force RBs to bounce everything back which gives the LBers time to read and react and close the cutback lanes to stuff the running game.

If you don't get pressure from the front 4 this defense will get run all over much like the 3-4 in that aspect also.

In short yardage, you're going to see a goalline type package anyways, so the cover 2 is moot....the safetys will play up as will the backers. Considering most teams on 3rd and 1 will call a running play as opposed to a 20 yard pass.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

In short yardage, you're going to see a goalline type package anyways, so the cover 2 is moot....the safetys will play up as will the backers. Considering most teams on 3rd and 1 will call a running play as opposed to a 20 yard pass.
                  that's true but you need to get some push from your DL to win a goal line/short yardage situation. That's going to be difficult when the offensive guards outweigh them by 40 lbs.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

It all comes down to how much havoc they can cause in the backfield....if they get no pressure from the front 4 this defense can be exploited and exploited big. Makes no difference run or pass wise. It's also a defense that works as a "bend but don't break" defense. We're going to see a defense that lets teams march slowly up and down the field all day long with hopes of tightening up in the red zone. But it's also a defense that won't, well shouldn't give up the home run play, as long as the safeties aren't burnt and can tackle. Realistically this year Donte Whitner could lead the team in tackles.

Comment

• pintonick96
                      You guys are all nerds. Just give me team updates and STFU.
                      • Aug 2005

The key is also to have fast athletic linebackers. They have to be fast enough to run up from playing deep to make tackles. That's why LBs like Derrick Brooks and Lance Briggs work so well in these systems.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by pintonick96
                        The key is also to have fast athletic linebackers. They have to be fast enough to run up from playing deep to make tackles. That's why LBs like Derrick Brooks and Lance Briggs work so well in these systems.
                        See ya, Posey.

If you're right about this Crowell will be starting before the bye.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Stewie
                          Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                          • Aug 2002

What you don't understand or aren't paying attention to is your assumption that players official weight translates directly into their ability to play football...

This isn't a weight competition, it's a football game. Otherwise we'd just get all the failed sumo wrestlers over here to play DT. There's a reason that hasn't happened. Sam Adams wasn't stopping the run on the 75% of plays he had to watch from the sideline. Neither was pat williams when he was out half the time.

Technique and leverage matter in the trenches... thats why reggie white and bruce smith were so good.. neither of them generally outweighed offensive lineman, but they sure as hell knew how to move them out of the way.

you're being myopic when you assume that a DT with an extra 40 pounds is the difference between being good and being bad against the run. you could just as easily say that weight is the difference between him being on the field and catching his breath on the sideline.
                          Originally posted by Topdog
                          Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                          Originally posted by mercyrule
                          I love Weiner.
                          Originally posted by mercyrule
                          also cheese

Comment

• Mr B
                            • Sep 2002

The Bucs stop the run with good coaching. It is a gap control defense.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Cover two..........4-3................ 4-6..............3-4......... Nine in the box.......... Tic Tac Toe...

It doesnt matter. .The key to stopping the run is having a front seven that can get to the ball and tackle, and a safety like Whitner (Milloy back in the day) that can knock someone's helmet off.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X