X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

OTA Notes: Gates Enjoying Extra Reps

With Willis McGahee not taking part in the voluntary OTAs, Lionel Gates is making the most of the extra reps he's been receiving.

"We encourage Willis (McGahee) to get here and we would love to have him but since he's not it's an opportunity for me, Shaud (Williams) and Anthony (Thomas) to get some more reps to show the coach that we can be dependable if Willis does go down," said Gates. "Hopefully he doesn't but we're showing them that we are dependable running backs."

During that same sequence John McCargo tipped a Craig Nall pass at the line that was picked off by Josh Stamer. And DT LaWaylon Brown broke up a Kelly Holcomb pass during that same period.

Cornerback Kiwaukee Thomas had a good day in 7-on-7. He had a pass breakup on a Nall pass that was a little behind its target. Thomas also broke up a Kelly Holcomb pass intended for George Wilson.

Catch of the day
    The best grab Wednesday goes to Brad Cieslak who made a diving, outstretched over the shoulder catch along the sideline on a pass from Holcomb that covered about 20 yards. As we told you first on buffalobills.com, Cieslak continues to get reps as the number two tight end.

Bennie Anderson was back after a one day absence. He re-assumed his starting role at left guard where he's been for the entire spring. With Anderson back Justin Geisinger was able to return to center after filling in at guard Tuesday.

More... http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3796

Go Gates !!!!!!!!!!!
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • billsburgh
    • Jul 2003

Re: OTA Notes: Gates Enjoying Extra Reps

Originally posted by justasportsfan
    Bennie's back
    Bennie Anderson was back after a one day absence. He re-assumed his starting role at left guard where he's been for the entire spring. With Anderson back Justin Geisinger was able to return to center after filling in at guard Tuesday.
    has this new staff watched any of the tape of last season to see what a turnstile Bennie was. stop with this shamockery and just put Reyes in with the first team so the line can start to gel now.

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan

Catch of the day
      The best grab Wednesday goes to Brad Cieslak who made a diving, outstretched over the shoulder catch along the sideline on a pass from Holcomb that covered about 20 yards. As we told you first on buffalobills.com, Cieslak continues to get reps as the number two tight end.
      I said it last year that Cieslak looked good as well as Wilson and even Gates. It was the coach and FO administration that couldn't seem to acknowledge the talents they had already on the team.

I'm actually glad Willis is not there. He doesn't need to prove anything and it helps Gates tremendously to get more reps. It is especially important b'cse of the uncertainty on whether we will keep Willis in the future or not. Unless he has a 2000+ yard season, I'd say dump him when his contract's up...

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto
        I said it last year that Cieslak looked good as well as Wilson and even Gates. It was the coach and FO administration that couldn't seem to acknowledge the talents they had already on the team.

I'm actually glad Willis is not there. He doesn't need to prove anything and it helps Gates tremendously to get more reps. It is especially important b'cse of the uncertainty on whether we will keep Willis in the future or not. Unless he has a 2000+ yard season, I'd say dump him when his contract's up...
        Willis doesn't have to prove anything? WTF planet are you posting from. he has yet to prove anything so far except a bad attitude.

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ICE74129
          Willis doesn't have to prove anything? WTF planet are you posting from. he has yet to prove anything so far except a bad attitude.
          Yes, but he doesn't have to prove he's the starter this year. He has to PROVE he's a GREAT starter and he has to do that come game time when the season gets here.

Right now, I prefer to have Gates get some work so they can get a much better evaluation on where he stands and what he's capable of - since last year, our inept coaching staff didn't do so, nor did they give him play time even when the season was over!

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

Yes, but he doesn't have to prove he's the starter this year. He has to PROVE he's a GREAT starter and he has to do that come game time when the season gets here.

Right now, I prefer to have Gates get some work so they can get a much better evaluation on where he stands and what he's capable of - since last year, our inept coaching staff didn't do so, nor did they give him play time even when the season was over!
            I'm annoyed with Willis, who I think really should be in B-Town. But you're right, there is some good to come out of it, in that the competition for backup will be more thoroughly played out.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Funny hasn't marv and DJ said competition? So yes he needs to prove he is the starter. Gates getting all of these reps and being here ought to give him the right in camp to fight for the starting position. WHEN he beats out Willis (yeah I think he can) then he should start.

Or is the competition BS just that....BS? Maybe it just applys to QB's.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ICE74129
                Funny hasn't marv and DJ said competition? So yes he needs to prove he is the starter. Gates getting all of these reps and being here ought to give him the right in camp to fight for the starting position. WHEN he beats out Willis (yeah I think he can) then he should start.

Or is the competition BS just that....BS? Maybe it just applys to QB's.
                If Gates can beat him out, then great. But I don't think he can or will. That is not a knock on him at all. Just that he needs development and b'cse of the inept coaching last year, he essentially got nothing!

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

If Gates can beat him out, then great. But I don't think he can or will. That is not a knock on him at all. Just that he needs development and b'cse of the inept coaching last year, he essentially got nothing!
                  Again I ask, is there truely open competition or not? If so then Willis is WAY behind. And I'm sorry, based on his attitude, lack of blocking and catching abilities...I think he can be beat out with what is here on this squad.

I hope it is open comp and they don't just let the 11 Vets that sat home be 'given' their jobs.

And before someone stupidly comments about how no draft pick blah blah blah can unseat those vets, I saw an undrafted FA by the name of Pat Williams do it, so it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                  X