PDA

View Full Version : The Best Season Ever

SABuffalo786
06-01-2006, 01:54 AM
It's early in the morning on June 1st as I write this, and by this time tomorrow, I'll either be counting down the days until training camp or blacked out from delirious, Prince of Wales induced joy.

I feel like I'm on death row.

Intense nervousness, apprehension, and Jay McKee's infected leg aside, I think now would be an excellent time to recognize what has been, for me at least, the greatest and most magical sports season of my entire life insofar.

Really, take a second to think about where this team was and where it has gotten in such a short period of time.

Think about how trying the period from when Brett Hull cheated his way to a Cup to where we are right now was.

Think about how our only real hope for a Championship in those years, Dominik Hasek, completely flaked out on the club and left us for dead after he got bored with this team in the following years after No Goal.

Think about John Rigas and his punk sons being led away in handcuffs, leaving the team at the mercy of debt collectors.

Think about that black day when we filed for bankruptcy and it only seemed a matter of time before the Portland Sabres took to the ice.

Think about that ****ing rat Hammister and his false rays of hope.

Think about Bob Corkum as our big trade deadline signing.

Think about those horrible seasons in the early part of the new millenium when 9th place was an accomplishment and our hopes and dreams for the playoffs rested on the shoulders of European journeymen like Satan and Zhitnik who really could not care less about the team or the city. Just the fat paycheck at the end of the day.

And now, think about this team. How literally NO ONE gave them a shot. How the only semi-significant media outlet who saw them making the playoffs was The Buffalo News. How the average position pick in October for Buffalo was around 25th or 26th in the entire league.

And now look where we are. One step away from the Stanley Cup.

Who took us there? A bunch of no-name kids, has-beens, and never-will-bes. Outcasts from the league, no hopers, underdogs.

I hope you've all been paying close attention these past few weeks, because there's a good chance this sort of thing may never happen again.

If we do lose tomorrow, and you become angry/upset with this team or bemoan Buffalo's luck when it comes to the big-time games, then you really are missing the point.

This team IS Buffalo. It's everything we take pride in. This team is hurting with injuries and fatigue, but it fights on. Just like us and our city. It fights through the pain and it fights through the darkness. It refuses to give up no matter how ridiculously unfair the odds have been stacked against them.

It fights for each other.
It fights for the shirt.
It fights for you, the fans.
It fights for Buffalo.

If that doesn't inspire you and make you well up with pride, then you are ****ing dead.

Win or lose tomorrow, this team has a place in my heart for eternity and my support until my dying day. They deserve nothing less.

Let's Go Buffalo.

SabreEleven
06-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Great Post. Good Job.

nbcaffeine
06-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Amen brother. I'm not from WNY, but have been a buffalo sports fan my entire life. I don't even live that close to buffalo now (hourish south) but still have that attachment to the teams. When I started watching hockey (98-99 season) I thought "Here is the buffalo team to watch" but we all know how that turned out. I have never been more excited about a sport, or as proud to be a fan of a sports team as I have been this past season with the Sabres.

PcA125
06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
what a great post.... LETS GO SABRES!!

Dr. Lecter
06-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Nice work SAB.