X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Denny the new starter...

for the time being, Denny is working as the starter at LDE and Kelsay has been moved to Schobels back up.. wow.

Kelsay on the right side
    Bills defensive end Chris Kelsay has played sparingly at right defensive end in his time in Buffalo, but he took some reps on that side of the formation Wednesday. Working on the second unit behind Aaron Schobel, Kelsay also rotated up to the top defensive line unit when Schobel was given a break. Ryan Denney assumed Kelsay's left defensive end spot on the first d-line.

Mark Word meanwhile was used at left defensive end with the second group. He had been on the right side most of the time.

Catch of the day
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Denny the new starter...

I don't read too much into it. This is the time of year to play around and experiment some.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

well.. denny did get the new contract.. and kelsays is almost up.

i feel like it is definately foreshadowing.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

LMAO Wow! We are really gonna scare teams this year....(sarcasm off)

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

I don't look too much into it the whole line rotates around.

Comment

• Jauron733
            • Apr 2006

I thought Denney generally outplayed Kelsay last year. Had much higher production for the amount of time he was allowed on the field. He has really come along as a player, imo. Kelsay seemed to regress last year.

Comment

• Dont drink the water
              • Oct 2005

Denney showed more range last year than Kelsay and I think his range will help with the cover 2 defense. Of course some will think the Bills are foolish because they do not think well of him and they stayed in a Motel 6 last night.

Comment

• Marvelous
                • Feb 2004

Denney came in on passing situations thus giving him more oppurtunity for sacks..I thought Kelsay played ok. ESP against the run.
                GO BILLS!!! NE
                Magical Trevor

Comment

• bigbub2352
                  • Feb 2005

Every body needs to relax Denney will not be the starter, he is too white, ha ha, anyway Kelsay will get his shot first i believe
                  XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Chicago played four DE's regularly last season, I dont think its a big deal that kelsay doesnt start.

But I do think its a big deal that Denney does start. Because after four years, I think thats enough time to evaluate what his worth has been to the Bills.. and to this point, its been "not much"

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• billsburgh
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                      Chicago played four DE's regularly last season, I dont think its a big deal that kelsay doesnt start.

But I do think its a big deal that Denney does start. Because after four years, I think thats enough time to evaluate what his worth has been to the Bills.. and to this point, its been "not much"
                      not to bash you Pat, but the new staff must feel he is worth a little something since they resigned him when they could have let him walk.

Comment

• MVP
                        Bring The Pain
                        • Apr 2006

I could care less who's in there, as long as they make plays!

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Aug 2004

According to the comments that the D-linemen made in the video about them on BB.com (URL: http://www.buffalobills.com/multimed....rm&proto=rtsp ), the coaches are very intent on having them run out each and every play and the players know that they will need to be rotated in and out a lot in order for them to do that. A couple of them say in the video that the team will need 7-9 guys playing to keep them fresh.

That means that guys who are listed as being second team will be playing at times with first teamers and vice versa. It different from having four starters who play 80-85% of the snaps and a couple of primary back-ups who see pretty much all of the rest of the playing time in games. The starters may play only 60-70% of the snaps at most with at least four other guys rotating in and out individually or in pairs or even as a whole unit the rest of the time, with some of the back-ups seeing close to as much playing time as some of the starters (for example, if they use McCargo on passing downs and rotate him in behind Tripplett, he might see as much or more playing time than Anderson in total).

And, while everyone knows that the Bills will be using a rotation at DT, they are also going to be rotating at DE as well. That means that it is unlikely that Schobel will be on the field for almost every snap as he has been in the past and the coaches have to identify now in practices which of the DEs that they have will be the best player to have playing in that spot when Schobel is off of the field catching his breath. It is very likely that, at some point, Denney and Kelsay will be the DE pair on the field for part or all of a defensive sequence. Right now, is the time that the coaches should be--and seem to be--looking at all of the possible combinations and permutations in the defensive line rotation that they can put out onto the field to see which ones look like they may be the best because, come training camp and particularly the regular season, that's what is going to determine who's going to get the most playing time and at what positions once the games count.

So, I wouldn't read too much into who is playing with the first or second team, etc. at this stage. And, with the defensive linemen, I wouldn't even read that much into the depth chart. Because guys who can play multiple positions along the front in a rotation may end up getting to play a greater percentage of snaps than a starter who can only play one spot.

Finally, based on the comments that the players make in the video that I mentioned above, it would not surprise me to see the Bills carry 9 or even 10 defensive linemen this season on the active roster. Also, because depth is so important in this system and the rotation, it would not be shocking to see the Bills pick up a D-lineman that they may like off of the waiver wire during the preseason if they are not happy with the way that one or two of the guys that they have now are adapting to the system (for example, if they don't think Word or Denney or Kelsay is giving them enough at DE and that the rookies aren't ready or able to fill the second back-up DE spot and another team cuts a guy that the Bills feel can do the job better, they may just grab him off of the waiver wire or even off of a team's PS during the regular season). As for who they are likely to keep goes: I think Tripplett, Anderson, McCargo and Williams are locks at DT; Schobel, Kelsay and Denney at DE with Word being the next most likely to stick;--that's 8 right there and that's probably not enough in this system: so they probably will keep an extra DT (Brown or Sape or someone else that they may pick up) and perhaps another DE (although, if they use Posey there sometimes, that may not be necessary). So, that's 9-10 defensive linemen right there and the # 9 guy might just end up playing a couple of snaps with three of the starters or some combination of starters and back-ups depending on what's happening in the game and who needs to take a break.
                          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
                          X