PDA

View Full Version : Was it just lightning in a bottle??

Ebenezer
06-01-2006, 11:03 PM
OK...now everybody has had a year to live under the new NHL. The cap is projected to go up $4-8mil next year. Will other teams catch up to the Sabres (or even use them as an example of how to succeed) and by pass them? Was this a one year thing?

I'd hate to hope not.

SabreEleven
06-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Are teams just going make young, fast players to complete with the Sabres? I'm not sure it is as easy as that. I'm hoping they have a couple of years to catch up.

What happened the next year the last time the Sabres lost in the conference finals?

Ebenezer
06-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Are teams just going make young, fast players to complete with the Sabres? I'm not sure it is as easy as that. I'm hoping they have a couple of years to catch up.

What happened the next year the last time the Sabres lost in the conference finals?
let's hope history repeats.

Philagape
06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm not worried about the rest of the league. I'm more concerned with making sure we re-sign everybody. So many players got one-year contracts. Chemistry was a major strength, and if we stick together, we'll have a head start over other teams who try to catch us. We're a young team that will only get better.

Dozerdog
06-01-2006, 11:15 PM
The only question is- will the Sabres sign their free agents?

Ebenezer
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
i think they lose (either by trade, cut or fa) Biron and Fitzpatrick. I don't know who is an UFA except Teppo and McKee.

Michael82
06-01-2006, 11:19 PM
They better keep McKee no matter how much it takes. He was sorely missed today. :(

SABuffalo786
06-01-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't think the league will pass us by, but I do think it'll be considerably harder for next year's regular season, i.e. we'll finish 5th or 6th.

Myers57
06-01-2006, 11:23 PM
last time we lost in the conference finals was 1998 to the washington capitals...

the next year we made it to the cup finals

the year after that we were eliminated in the first round...

Philagape
06-01-2006, 11:35 PM
The only Sabres who are NOT free agents are Hecht, Paille, Vanek and Drury. I'd have to keep digging to see which are restricted or unrestricted.

http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2qj6w/contract.html

Ebenezer
06-01-2006, 11:37 PM
The only Sabres who are NOT free agents are Hecht, Paille, Vanek and Drury. I'd have to keep digging to see which are restricted or unrestricted.

http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2qj6w/contract.html
i thought biron was under a 2 year deal...most of them are RFA.

PUCKER
06-02-2006, 02:15 AM

I sure as heck hope so!

jamze132
06-02-2006, 04:10 AM
I don't want to mess with the chemistry too much with this team. And I wouldn't be surprised to see most of them want to be back in Buffalo. I think the only real thing we are missing is a deeper defense. Not to say that it's not already deep, but another big name back there and we stay healthy, we will make it to the finals next year.

The_Philster
06-02-2006, 04:49 AM
They better keep McKee no matter how much it takes. He was sorely missed today. :(
McKee's one of those types of guys who will stay for a little less because he loves Buffalo.

SabreEleven
06-02-2006, 06:38 AM
McKee's one of those types of guys who will stay for a little less because he loves Buffalo.

Rumor has it that he loves Toronto even more.

Ebenezer
06-02-2006, 07:44 AM
I don't want to mess with the chemistry too much with this team. And I wouldn't be surprised to see most of them want to be back in Buffalo. I think the only real thing we are missing is a deeper defense. Not to say that it's not already deep, but another big name back there and we stay healthy, we will make it to the finals next year.
deeper? show me a team that EVER went 10 deep at defense...If it happened to any other team in the league we wouldn't have given that team a snowball's chance in hell of staying in a regualr season game let alone sticking that close in game 7.

EpiK-KA14
06-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Rumor has it that he loves Toronto even more.

Everyone loves Toronto more.

Thankfully we lost Jeff O'Neil to his begging to be there. What a lockerroom cancer he was...

Michael82
06-02-2006, 08:43 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. :ill:

Money talks. :(

Earthquake Enyart
06-02-2006, 09:14 AM
I think McKee, Greer and Biron are the only unrestricted FA's.

Dr. Lecter
06-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Grier must be re-signed as well.

He might have been the Sabres best player in the playoffs.

Michael82
06-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Grier must be re-signed as well.

He might have been the Sabres best player in the playoffs.
agreed.

SabreEleven
06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
last time we lost in the conference finals was 1998 to the washington capitals...

the next year we made it to the cup finals

the year after that we were eliminated in the first round...

All the real Sabres fans knew the answer to that. It really didn't need to be answered.

Philagape
06-02-2006, 04:42 PM
I think McKee, Greer and Biron are the only unrestricted FA's.

McKee, Numminen and Grier