Do you want the Bills to be like Sabres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THE END OF ALL DAYS
    The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
    • Feb 2005

Do you want the Bills to be like Sabres?

I am just a causal Sabers fan... I only have enough emotional room for one team... the BIlls. But the Sabers play off run was nice, and made the city feel proud...

But here is my question.... making the playoffs means one of two things... the sheer joy of winning it all, or the agony of coming soooooo close.

I know making the playoffs is means an improved team, but really, we've been there, done that plenty of times.... I really feel that if you arnt going to win it all, you might as well play for draft position!

I know it sounds crazy, but for me, emotionally, I just dont care about the "playoffs" as a goal. If we make the playoffs (I dont expect this year) it just means a greater sense of loss if we loose! I am so tired of loosing that just for one brief and shining moment I want to know the final victory.

So, do we want to be like the sabers... soooo cloose, and "nice Try Guys" better luck next year, but once again, buffallo looses.

or the heck with the playoffs until we are ready to win it all?

I'm not a defeatist, I WANT TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL! not a lousy divisional round! I know, you cant win the SB without making the playoffs, but playoff-shmayoff I want the SB!
    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Do you want the Bills to be like Sabers?

Does it matter? The city is cursed. All they had to do was beat Carolina and they probably would've beaten the Oilers.

Carolina fans don't even bother to show up to the games unlike Sabre fans who rocked the House. In the end, Sabre's lost thus breaking the hearts of the fans. In the meantime, Carolina fans don't even know what's going on unless it's nascar.

4 consecutive losses, Wide Right, Music city miracle, and then there's Kalsu. He just happened to be a bills player.

"So close and yet so far" seems to be the theme of buffalo sports.

I still keep the faith though and yes, I do want the bills to be like the Sabres without the injuries.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2002

You're obviously a casual fan if you can't even spell "Sabres".

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
        The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
        You're obviously a casual fan if you can't even spell "Sabres".
        you have nothing of worth to contribute?
        In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
          • Jul 2002

Sports is entertainment. It isn't life.

While winning a championship is the goal, if a team is entertaining and gives me the hope of winning its games, I'll stay interested and get entertainment from it.

I cannot stand to watch the Bills when they are offensively impotent and defensively porous.
          Going through a season hoping to land a great draft choice is horrible.

Watching the Sabres was very entertaining. That's what I ask for.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
            Sports is entertainment. It isn't life.

While winning a championship is the goal, if a team is entertaining and gives me the hope of winning its games, I'll stay interested and get entertainment from it.

I cannot stand to watch the Bills when they are offensively impotent and defensively porous.
            Going through a season hoping to land a great draft choice is horrible.

Watching the Sabres was very entertaining. That's what I ask for.
            that is the case for fans of other teams or market. In buffalo however, the bills is a way of life. How else can we explain that the fans of one of the smallest market teams in the league happen to be one of the most passionate fanbase inspite of one disappointment after another.
            sacrifice1

Comment

• Captain gameboy
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
              that is the case for fans of other teams or market. In buffalo however, the bills is a way of life. How else can we explain that the fans of one of the smallest market teams in the league happen to be one of the most passionate fanbase inspite of one disappointment after another.
              I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying that it does not take a championship to make me follow them as I have since the 60's.

By the way, you're comment about Carolina fans is a bit strong. I used to live in Raleigh and they are every bit as passionate about ACC basketball as any fans are about anything.

Comment

• Stewie
                Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                • Aug 2002

Uhhh... "probably would have beat the oilers?"

Based on what? All the titles they bring home?

They didn't even make the finals. They had their chances, they blew it. It should never have gotten to game 7 in the first place.

Oh well.

Afinaganov (sp) is still the man. I like watching that guy play a lot.
                Originally posted by Topdog
                Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                Originally posted by mercyrule
                I love Weiner.
                also cheese

Comment

• Stewie
                  Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                  • Aug 2002

And to answer the question.

Hell no. I want the Bills to win championships. Anything less than superbowl victory is failure. I'm sick of failure. I want to win.
                  Originally posted by Topdog
                  Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                  I love Weiner.
                  also cheese

Comment

• Hammertime
                    • May 2005

Does it matter? The city is cursed. All they had to do was beat Carolina and they probably would've beaten the Oilers.

Carolina fans don't even bother to show up to the games unlike Sabre fans who rocked the House. In the end, Sabre's lost thus breaking the hearts of the fans. In the meantime, Carolina fans don't even know what's going on unless it's nascar.

4 consecutive losses, Wide Right, Music city miracle, and then there's Kalsu. He just happened to be a bills player.

"So close and yet so far" seems to be the theme of buffalo sports.

I still keep the faith though and yes, I do want the bills to be like the Sabres without the injuries.
                    What a sad and pathetic load of BS.

The city is not cursed. The are no such things as curses. The Sabres lost, that's all. They put up one hell of a fight, showed big time heart but injuries took thier toll. Also, Carolina clearly had "more gas in the tank". I'm proud of the Sabres. It was a great season and the playoffs were outstanding. I'm satisfied. Time to move on.

To move this back to Bills talk, i look forward to the coming season. Maybe most of all because this team has no expectations of being great (according to the pundits). Maybe now they will show some heart, like the Sabres, and make a run, like the Sabres. Do they need to win it all for it to be a satisfying season?

Not in my book. But then, i guess i have other things, priorities, in my life.
                    Bruce: What time is it?
                    Biscuit: Huh?
                    Bruce: What time is it?
                    Biscuit: Showtime?
                    Bruce: (incensed) Hammertime!!
                    Biscuit: Hammertime!
                    Bruce: Hammertime is when you hitting that nail in a piece of wood with a hammer. You keep hitting that nail, over and over until you can no longer see the nail. You just see the wood is all splintered and what-not. That is Hammertime.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Hammertime
                      What a sad and pathetic load of BS.

The city is not cursed. The are no such things as curses. The Sabres lost, that's all. They put up one hell of a fight, showed big time heart but injuries took thier toll. Also, Carolina clearly had "more gas in the tank". I'm proud of the Sabres. It was a great season and the playoffs were outstanding. I'm satisfied. Time to move on.

To move this back to Bills talk, i look forward to the coming season. Maybe most of all because this team has no expectations of being great (according to the pundits). Maybe now they will show some heart, like the Sabres, and make a run, like the Sabres. Do they need to win it all for it to be a satisfying season?

Not in my book. But then, i guess i have other things, priorities, in my life.
                      Murphy's Law lives in buffalo sports. Anything that can go wrong usually does in buffalo sports. Why did all the injuries happen to the sabres instead of Carolina? Music city miracle. Wide right.

BTw, I was being sarcastic about the curse but if there ever was such a thing, buffalo would be the ideal example to such a thing. And I wasn't talking about the city, but buffalo sports.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by keithtr
                        you have nothing of worth to contribute?
                        He never does

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                          • Jul 2002

Come on Justa, these things happen to all sports teams.
                          The Bills should have destroyed the Giants in that Superbowl and they blew it.
                          Al Edwards drops a third down strike from Kelly moving deep into Giant territory while we're already up 12-3, then our D can't stop an aging rb.
                          No jinx/no curse.

Norwood missed a 47 yarder. Happens all the time.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Come on Justa, these things happen to all sports teams.
                            The Bills should have destroyed the Giants in that Superbowl and they blew it.
                            Al Edwards drops a third down strike from Kelly moving deep into Giant territory while we're already up 12-3, then our D can't stop an aging rb.
                            No jinx/no curse..
                            Like I said, there's no curse but it does feel like it sometimes. The Sabres were healthy and beat Ottawa. But when it mattered most and one win away from the Stanley cup, the team get's injured and losses to a team that isn't as good as Ottawa.

As for Kelly, I mean has any other team ever lost 4 consecutive sbs?

Norwood missed a 47 yarder. Happens all the time.
                            Didn't happen to the Pats but it happened to the bills.

Has the music city miracle happened to any other team?

My point is , I've come to expect the unexpected when it comes to something going wrong but still remain optimistic that in my lifetime, we'll get it right somehow.
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                              • Jul 2002

My point is , I've come to expect the unexpected when it comes to something going wrong but still remain optimistic that in my lifetime, we'll get it right somehow.
                              Things like a kickoff return for a touchdown happen. What happened to the Bills was nobody but the Bills fault.
                              The Cubs thing when Alou would have made the catch in foul territory, but for the fan interfering, was even worse.

Anyway, I know what you mean.
                              Sometimes it does feel that way.
                              But....Back to the point, net/net, being able to cheer for a team that plays well and enjoys the success that the Sabres did this season is far better than absolute misery of watching a hopeless football team playing out the season waiting for a good draft spot.
                              At least in my view.

Comment

Working...
                              X