PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins #1 Overrated team

Stewie
06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
1. Miami: The Dolphins will be a popular pick to win the AFC East for those who only look at how Miami finished 2005. Yes, coach Nick Saban did lead his team to six straight wins after a 3-7 start. But that run also included five victories against teams that didn't make the playoffs -- Oakland, Buffalo, San Diego, the New York Jets and Tennessee -- and a sixth win against a New England team resting its starters for the playoffs. The main question here is whether quarterback Daunte Culpepper can regain his Pro Bowl form. If he can't, then these Dolphins remind me of last season's Buffalo Bills, a team that rode into the year with a wave of high expectations and flopped under the pressure.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/05/31/no.superbowl/index.html

feelthepain
06-02-2006, 12:02 PM
You don't believe the opinions the fins are on the rise, I'm sure you don't believe the fins are overrated.

OpIv37
06-02-2006, 12:14 PM
So when the media criticizes the Bills draft, we're supposed to ignore their opinions because they're self appointed "experts" who would be working for an NFL franchise if they were any good.

When the media says we're going to have a bad season, we're supposed to ignore it for the same reason.

But when the media says that the Dolphins are overrated, it's great and we're supposed to point and laugh at the Dolphins fans?

Funny how the media isn't credible when they criticize the Bills, but they're legitimate experts when they criticize the Dolphins or the Pats.

Pride
06-02-2006, 12:36 PM
So when the media criticizes the Bills draft, we're supposed to ignore their opinions because they're self appointed "experts" who would be working for an NFL franchise if they were any good.

When the media says we're going to have a bad season, we're supposed to ignore it for the same reason.

But when the media says that the Dolphins are overrated, it's great and we're supposed to point and laugh at the Dolphins fans?

Funny how the media isn't credible when they criticize the Bills, but they're legitimate experts when they criticize the Dolphins or the Pats.

BRAVO!!!!

justasportsfan
06-02-2006, 12:52 PM

:up:

Drive 4 Five
06-02-2006, 03:23 PM
I certainly feel that Dolphin fans have alot to be optimistic and excited about. This team very well could be one of the best next season. However, that remains to be seen. One thing we do know is that going out and signing a bunch of new player, regrdless of who they are, does not equal success. This team, while talented, could flop, no question. We see it happen all the time.

So for all you trash talking Dolphins fans out there, it is still way to early be walking around all **** strong running your mouths.

mayotm
06-02-2006, 03:27 PM

Funny how the media isn't credible when they criticize the Bills, but they're legitimate experts when they criticize the Dolphins or the Pats.Who is pointing and laughing? Seems to me that PAULB simply posted an SI article. Did he even offer an opinion?

Crisis
06-02-2006, 03:29 PM

Wow do you have the same post for every thread saved? No one offered an opinion, just posted an article.

SquishDaFish
06-02-2006, 04:08 PM
I am one to admit the Dolfags are improved but they are overrated just like the Bills were last year coming into the season. For the sole reason of the winning streak to end the year just like the Bills did.

OpIv37
06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Who is pointing and laughing? Seems to me that PAULB simply posted an SI article. Did he even offer an opinion?

no, paulb didn't offer an opinion on this one. But every time someone posts an article bashing the Bills, someone pipes in about how the media doesn't know what they're talking about and they're only self-appointed experts, etc.

Where are all those people now that our rival is being bashed instead of us?

G. Host
06-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Wow do you have the same post for every thread saved? No one offered an opinion, just posted an article.

Op does not post anymore. He uses an Artifical Unintellegence to post something negative every time.

mayotm
06-02-2006, 04:27 PM
no, paulb didn't offer an opinion on this one. But every time someone posts an article bashing the Bills, someone pipes in about how the media doesn't know what they're talking about and they're only self-appointed experts, etc.

Where are all those people now that our rival is being bashed instead of us? Well I guess our rivals can be thankful they have you to defend them. You seem to believe everything negative and nothing positive written about the Bills. Others believe everything positive and nothing negative. How is that any different?

Pinkerton Security
06-02-2006, 04:29 PM
I am always a fan of bashing AFC competition, but until the Bills become better than any of them (I'd say they MIGHT be better than the Jets right now)......

:zipit:

Plus, any team with Chris Chambers, a (IMO) blossoming Ronnie Brown, Randy McMichael, Culpepper, and dang good defensive vets has a good chance to excel.

Thanks for the article!

OpIv37
06-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Op does not post anymore. He uses an Artifical Unintellegence to post something negative every time.

apparently you think it's ok to challenge the credibility of the media when they say something bad about the Bills but accept the credibility of the media when they something bad about the Fish? That's called hypocrisy.

And once again, what is it exactly that we have to feel positive about?

OpIv37
06-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Well I guess our rivals can be thankful they have you to defend them. You seem to believe everything negative and nothing positive written about the Bills. Others believe everything positive and nothing negative. How is that any different?

That's not true. Example: If Dick Jauron had a winning record as a head coach, I would definitely be less apprehensive about him going into this season. But he has a losing record as a head coach. People who are positive say "well at least he's not Mularkey" and "Marv Levy had a losing record before he came here". That has nothing to do with Dick Jauron and nothing to do with this team. In this particular case, people who question the Jauron signing have more credibility than people who compliment it. You need to take it on a case by case basis.

And for the record, yesterday I was critical of the Fox rankings that had us as 31, saying we should be higher. I believe this team is bad, but not as bad as they said it was. That was negative and I didn't believe it because if you look at teams like the Jets, it's just not credible.

G. Host
06-02-2006, 04:36 PM
And once again, what is it exactly that we have to feel positive about?

Not all fans are negative nancies! :D

OpIv37
06-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Not all fans are negative nancies! :D

I'm a "negative nancy" you say? The reality is that right now, there is a hell of a lot to be negative about with this team and hardly anything to be positive about, at least as far as 06 is concerned. So how does acknowledging the fact that this team have problems make me a "negative nancy"?

It's much easier to resort to name calling than to defend your point of view by answering the question, isn't it?

G. Host
06-02-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm a "negative nancy" you say? The reality is that right now, there is a hell of a lot to be negative about with this team and hardly anything to be positive about, at least as far as 06 is concerned. So how does acknowledging the fact that this team have problems make me a "negative nancy"?

It's much easier to resort to name calling than to defend your point of view by answering the question, isn't it?

No you say. It is your title. But if you want to continue doing your Wys immitation go ahead.

OpIv37
06-02-2006, 05:00 PM
No you say. It is your title. But if you want to continue doing your Wys immitation go ahead.

I repeat- what do we have to be positive about?

And you still haven't said why we should believe the media when they talk about the dolphins but distrust them when we talk about the Bills?

feelthepain
06-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Well I guess our rivals can be thankful they have you to defend them. You seem to believe everything negative and nothing positive written about the Bills. Others believe everything positive and nothing negative. How is that any different?

I don't see him defending anyone, I see him looking for consistency.

!Papacrunk!
06-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Good posting in this thread. It is funny when the media will really blow up a team, whether they deserve it or not, and if the team fails, the media will consider it such a huge letdown, a huge failure--even though they were the ones that had done the hype job in the 1st place.

IMO, the Dolphins are still rebuilding. Does that mean they still can't be successful at the same time? No. Will it happen? Who knows. As long as they do their jobs, don't look at the score, don't concern themselves over their record at the time, and play consistently at a 100%, and play disciplined football, then hopefully that will lead to success. IMO, I don't think Saban is worried about anything positive or negative that the media puts out there.

Mr. Pink
06-02-2006, 06:37 PM
The consistency thing FTP mentioned is the same thing I'm looking for....

I am confused to no end by the logic of some people on here.

We pick up Reyes, Fowler and those moves are right and good, but the Jags pick up Mike Williams and everyone laughs and makes jokes.
We bring in Dick, career loser, it's a good move....The Dolphins get Mularkey and we all laugh.
Moulds leaving was applauded but we brought no one really in to replace him, unless you count Davis and Price but everyone is fine with this also.
We like the move of Nall being brought in, for what reason I'm not sure, then completely diss the Dolphins for bringing in Culpepper. Who btw, is about 10 times better than anyone at QB on this team.
And no one questions Denney, Reed being re-signed yet we laugh at other teams who re-sign scrub players.

So my question is this...Why are all of our moves so noble and righteous and other teams' moves wrong and laughable?

I've yet to see a real explanation for this, but I'd like some reasoning behind it.

TKOZone
06-02-2006, 07:06 PM
I think SI guy needs to think about his pick. There not even sure if Culpepper will start the first week. They have garbage backups and I'm glad the Bills are playing them week one so we can show off our defense.

jmb1099
06-02-2006, 07:48 PM
The Dolphins will either be made or broken by the Culpepper singing this year. If he plays well then they have all the makings of a scary team. Can Harrington be a decent backup? I think maybe, but what if he has to start? How do you even began to predict the outcome then?
Still in the midlle of this is the media and its no different then it was on draft day. They put teams in the order they think will play out and then hype it up because it sells. There is no way to know who will do what this year, it is all speculation and that is the bottom line. As far as consistency is concerned...
There is inconsistency on both sides of this issue, being positive or negative all the time eventually leads to hypocrisy of some sort. Being a Bills fan I always want them to do well and and win every game, but even though that's what I hope for I know its not reality. I am well versed in the reality of Buffalo Bills football so before anyone goes and whips out a stat book you need to understand something, I'm aware of it and as far as negativity is concerned I don't care. I still watch or listen to the games, I still get excited on gameday, I am thrilled when we win and pissed when we lose. But the thing that gets me is that those of you who claim to be "realists" or whatever continue to post as if there is something you want everyone to do about what you percieve is wrong with the team. I've asked a number of times what do you want everyone to do? So you don't like the Price singing, you don't like the Gibson singing, you don't like the Reed singing, big frikken deal. What can you do about it? Do you really think that Marv and Ralph and reading any of this? Even if they were do you think they have sleepless nights over what jmb1099 thinks about the draft picks or the fa pickups? So tell me "realists"...what are our options? What should we do?

Mr. Pink
06-02-2006, 08:03 PM
I think we covered this JMB, be consistent. How can you applaud bringing second rate players in and thinking they're "saviours" and then laugh at other teams who do the same type maneuvers?

I know we all want these players to succeed, as do other teams that pick up scrubs however, it generally doesn't work that way.

But if you're going to be positive about us signing Nall, then how can you laugh and be negative about the Phins getting Pepp. That's not directed at you JMB, just in general.

Or we're positive about Dick but laugh that Miami got Mularkey....Mularkey is proven as an OC in this league, Dick is not proven as anything as of yet. Again not directed to you just in general.

It's tiresome and annoying reading how great Melvin Fowler will be and we're glad that Mike Williams is gone. Reality is Mike Williams is a better player than Melvin Fowler, from college, to where drafted, to pro career.

It has nothing to do with being pessimistic, it is however the view that we can do no wrong and every move is right meanwhile every other franchise has NO idea what they're doing. If that was true we'd be winning superbowls every year, but guess what we suck and have this entire young millenia.

Stewie
06-02-2006, 09:21 PM

Who said what? That's the first I've seen anyone say that.

Stewie
06-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Who is pointing and laughing? Seems to me that PAULB simply posted an SI article. Did he even offer an opinion?

Don't let facts get in the way of Op's *****ing

Nublar7
06-02-2006, 09:39 PM
1. Miami: The Dolphins will be a popular pick to win the AFC East for those who only look at how Miami finished 2005. Yes, coach Nick Saban did lead his team to six straight wins after a 3-7 start. But that run also included five victories against teams that didn't make the playoffs -- Oakland, Buffalo, San Diego, the New York Jets and Tennessee -- and a sixth win against a New England team resting its starters for the playoffs. The main question here is whether quarterback Daunte Culpepper can regain his Pro Bowl form. If he can't, then these Dolphins remind me of last season's Buffalo Bills, a team that rode into the year with a wave of high expectations and flopped under the pressure.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/05/31/no.superbowl/index.html
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5657016

2. If you asked me on May 1 to name the teams I thought would be in the bottom five of the NFL this year, I would've included both the Bills and Packers.

As June starts, I feel even more confident in that opinion.

For two teams that were horrible last season and changed coaches for the 2006 campaign, the veteran attendance at the voluntary workouts is downright deplorable.

Eleven signature Bills veterans missed workouts last week. And to add insult, Willis McGahee spent the time hanging out with Rich Eisen on NFL Network. Now I love Eisen and the folks at the NFL Network, but McGahee should place greater emphasis on his NFL career. And you would think that learning from and being around new offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild, who is putting in an entirely new system, would be a major priority.

Plus, a whopping 14 Packers missed the Green Bay voluntary workouts. You might think it would be a pressing concern for these players to eradicate the horrendous taste left in everyone's mouth from a year ago.

And don't just take my word for it. Here's what Aaron Kampman told us on Thursday. "Our team has changed with new faces. And our defense is based on fundamentals. You want to get that participation. You need to get the cohesiveness."
This is a terrible sign for both Green Bay and Buffalo.

jmb1099
06-03-2006, 12:03 AM
I think we covered this JMB, be consistent. How can you applaud bringing second rate players in and thinking they're "saviours" and then laugh at other teams who do the same type maneuvers?

I know we all want these players to succeed, as do other teams that pick up scrubs however, it generally doesn't work that way.

But if you're going to be positive about us signing Nall, then how can you laugh and be negative about the Phins getting Pepp. That's not directed at you JMB, just in general.

Or we're positive about Dick but laugh that Miami got Mularkey....Mularkey is proven as an OC in this league, Dick is not proven as anything as of yet. Again not directed to you just in general.

It's tiresome and annoying reading how great Melvin Fowler will be and we're glad that Mike Williams is gone. Reality is Mike Williams is a better player than Melvin Fowler, from college, to where drafted, to pro career.

It has nothing to do with being pessimistic, it is however the view that we can do no wrong and every move is right meanwhile every other franchise has NO idea what they're doing. If that was true we'd be winning superbowls every year, but guess what we suck and have this entire young millenia.
I know what you're saying and I know what you're driving at, but I just want to point out how this sword swings both ways.
Lets start with MM some say he's proven, he did after all manage to get some production out of Kordell Stewart. But it wasn't until after MM left the steelers that the offense finally started to really come together. As head coach here he had one fair season so which is it...accomplished OC or falsh in the pan? No way to know yet, he may be wildly successful, he may fail miserably, there is no way to know. Dick Jauran was not my first choice for coach, but he's here and there is nothing I can do about it. Like MM he found some success in Chicago as well as some failure, how will he do here? Again there is no way to know. Then there is the Qb comparison. As I have said numerous times now, if Culpepper can return to form than the Dolphins will be a scary team and reports are surfacing that he may. However we all know how the spin works coming from the Front Office and no one has had opportunity to see him play as of yet since the surgery, again no way to know how he's going to do. So has anyone here ever seen Nall play? I mean besides the occassional video clip? No? So again no way to know just yet how he will do. I don't think its necessary for me to carry this much further except to say that if your really seeking consistency than I think everyone needs to admit that there is too much unknown to be sure about anything. So if consistency is what we really want then everyone ought to admit its way too early to know much of anything yet, about our team, or anyone else's.

Stewie
06-03-2006, 01:56 PM
I know my team plays in buffalo. And for that reason, everything the dolphins do is a terrible move

:D

Devin
06-03-2006, 02:04 PM
I dont think the Fins are over-rated......is it fair to say just because they ended 2005 like we did 2004 they will automatically have a great 2006? Of course not.

And apart Saban's inexplicable need to have troublesome players I do believe they have solid personnell there and are headed the right way.

mybills
06-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I dont think the Fins are over-rated......is it fair to say just because they ended 2005 like we did 2004 they will automatically have a great 2006? Of course not.

And apart Saban's inexplicable need to have troublesome players I do believe they have solid personnell there and are headed the right way.
As painful as this is to write or even to think, I fully agree. Of course, I said that before and during the draft.

The Jets aren't going anywhere, and NE's glory days are over. That leaves us..the team that can't even decide on which QB we will be starting. :ill:

feelthepain
06-03-2006, 06:26 PM

I think you worry more about the troblesome players then Saban does. We have troublesome players as with every team in the league, but we have leadership in the lockerroom that won't allow for individuals to tear it apart. And a HC that will kick them to the curb if the screw up to a point it could hurt the team, Look at what TO did to the Eagles....and he's just one player! We don't have those issues in Miami. I think All AFC division rival fans look for any little tiny bit to grasp on to when finding excuses to justify their opinion that the Fins will be"OK" as a team, but never elite! I read many post like this ones that say "Yeah, the fins will be good, BUTTTTTT!!!!!!! Theres always a "but" they won't win this or they won't win that" and when Wanny was here they were right. We are in a good place most of the Media see it, ofcourse some don't. Oh well, that's life. I know I've been a dolphin fan for nearly 30 years and in all that time other then two SB apperences I feel the best I've ever felt about the talent and possibilites this Fins team has.

jmb1099
06-03-2006, 09:35 PM
I think you worry more about the troblesome players then Saban does. We have troublesome players as with every team in the league, but we have leadership in the lockerroom that won't allow for individuals to tear it apart. And a HC that will kick them to the curb if the screw up to a point it could hurt the team, Look at what TO did to the Eagles....and he's just one player! We don't have those issues in Miami. I think All AFC division rival fans look for any little tiny bit to grasp on to when finding excuses to justify their opinion that the Fins will be"OK" as a team, but never elite! I read many post like this ones that say "Yeah, the fins will be good, BUTTTTTT!!!!!!! Theres always a "but" they won't win this or they won't win that" and when Wanny was here they were right. We are in a good place most of the Media see it, ofcourse some don't. Oh well, that's life. I know I've been a dolphin fan for nearly 30 years and in all that time other then two SB apperences I feel the best I've ever felt about the talent and possibilites this Fins team has.
Pretty much we all do that to one another I mean seriously as a Bills fan I can't possibly want the fins to do well. I won't insert a "but" just an if. If Culpeppers knee is fully rehabed in time you guys have the potential to be scary. So on a personal level I am glad for you (hard to believe isn't it?) feeling positive about the state of your team. It should be an interesting season, maybe this is the year NE gets dethroned.

feelthepain
06-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Pretty much we all do that to one another I mean seriously as a Bills fan I can't possibly want the fins to do well. I won't insert a "but" just an if. If Culpeppers knee is fully rehabed in time you guys have the potential to be scary. So on a personal level I am glad for you (hard to believe isn't it?) feeling positive about the state of your team. It should be an interesting season, maybe this is the year NE gets dethroned.

That pretty much sums it up. I so badly want the Bills to fail or the Jets or the Pats that I hope for the worst at every single angle. But thats the life of an NFL fan!!

ublinkwescore
06-04-2006, 12:14 PM

The Dolphins are overrated. End of subject.

How can you criticize our draft when our picks haven't even played a snap in the preseason let alone when the games actually count?

OpIv37
06-04-2006, 04:38 PM
The Dolphins are overrated. End of subject.

How can you criticize our draft when our picks haven't even played a snap in the preseason let alone when the games actually count?

The Dolphins haven't played a snap yet either- how can anyone say they're overrated until they actually play?

And the point isn't about whether or not the Dolphins are overrated. It's about people believing the media when they criticize the Dolphins but claiming the media doesn't know what they're talking about when they criticize the Bills.

Either the media is credible, or it isn't. People need to make up their minds.

And you CAN criticize a draft before the guys play a snap- you just take the risk of them proving you wrong. For example, the Bills wanted McCargo and needed a DT- what if they took him at #8, ahead of Ngata, Bunkley and a whole bunch of better guys at other positions? The logic of people defending the draft is "well we got the guy we wanted- who cares where he was picked?"- Well, who would actually be saying that if we had picked McCargo at 8?

Nublar7
06-04-2006, 05:16 PM
The Dolphins are overrated. End of subject.Overrated in the sense of Super Bowl champion talks. However, it is realistic to think they can win 9-10 games, make the playoffs and possibly win the AFC East. The pieces are there for the Fins to have a good season, and to say that don't have a legitimate chance of winning the East, is just ignorant.

They have a better team overall then they did last season, and last year they were able to win 9 games and just missed the East crown by one win. Culpepper is one of the leagues best, and Harrington is slightly better then Gus.

YardRat
06-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Although there are definite similarites between the Dolphin's finish last year and the Bill's finish in '04, there is one distinct difference....

Miami upgraded their QB position in the off-season, while Buffalo jettisoned their best QB and put the season in the hands of an unknown.

Big difference.

ParanoidAndroid
06-04-2006, 07:28 PM
The consistency thing FTP mentioned is the same thing I'm looking for....

I am confused to no end by the logic of some people on here.

We pick up Reyes, Fowler and those moves are right and good, but the Jags pick up Mike Williams and everyone laughs and makes jokes.
We bring in Dick, career loser, it's a good move....The Dolphins get Mularkey and we all laugh.
Moulds leaving was applauded but we brought no one really in to replace him, unless you count Davis and Price but everyone is fine with this also.
We like the move of Nall being brought in, for what reason I'm not sure, then completely diss the Dolphins for bringing in Culpepper. Who btw, is about 10 times better than anyone at QB on this team.
And no one questions Denney, Reed being re-signed yet we laugh at other teams who re-sign scrub players.

So my question is this...Why are all of our moves so noble and righteous and other teams' moves wrong and laughable?

I've yet to see a real explanation for this, but I'd like some reasoning behind it.

Why? Because we are Bills fans. I, as a Bills fan, love my team unconditionally! I will only laugh at other teams.