PDA

View Full Version : About the "champagne" in the Canes locker room in game 6...

EpiK-KA14
06-02-2006, 11:08 AM
This from E.J. Hradek...

Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette carried a bottle of what appeared to be champagne into his postgame press conference. He placed it on the table in front of him. The bottle had a red wristband around it, much like the yellow "Livestrong" wristband made popular by cycling legend Lance Armstrong.

At first, I thought it might be a joke. After Game 6, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said he'd heard a story that the Hurricanes had champagne in their locker room to celebrate a potential series-clinching win in Buffalo. Ruff used the little story, which likely wasn't true, as a motivating tale for his players. So, that's why I thought it might be a little joke among coaching colleagues.

But, as it turned out, the bottle was wine. And, its significance was anything but a joke. I'll let Laviolette pick it up from there.

"There's a little girl in my neighborhood named Julia Rowe," Laviolette explained. "She has been battling leukemia. When I first moved here to Raleigh two and a half years ago, I became very friendly with her family. She made it through all of her chemo and went into remission. About three months ago, she went back to the doctor and she found out she had leukemia again.

"At the start of the playoffs, I got together with the Leukemia Society and we started selling these wristbands to try and raise money and raise awareness. On the wristband, it says 'Relentless.'

"Recently, her dad came over and gave me this bottle of wine. On the bottle, it also has the word 'Relentless.'

"What makes this bottle special is that the little girl, Julia, signed it. So, I brought it tonight and I wanted to give it to the player in tonight's game who best exemplified a relentless attitude.

"Rod Brind'Amour will get this award tonight."

There's really nothing else to be said, except ... If you're interested in purchasing a "Relentless" wristband or simply making a donation to the Leukemia Society, you can contact the Hurricanes.

Michael82
06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
That's a sad story. :(

but I still hate him and the Hurricanes. :mad:

chernobylwraiths
06-02-2006, 11:52 AM
We have Roswell Park in Buffalo, I see no point to the story. There are Julias all over this country. Her story is sad, but all too common I'm afraid.

I would almost assume this was a "rub it in your face Lindy" gesture by the coach.

The King
06-02-2006, 12:00 PM
:clap: I think its great, sometimes having these real life things tied into the sports we love are eye opening. You certainly cannot fault the guy, for bringing the story to the public.

don137
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
After the crap he pulled this series it is a ploy and try to rub it in to Ruff.

Michael82
06-02-2006, 12:54 PM
We have Roswell Park in Buffalo, I see no point to the story. There are Julias all over this country. Her story is sad, but all too common I'm afraid.

I would almost assume this was a "rub it in your face Lindy" gesture by the coach.
I think you are right. It's a ploy. One last chance for him to rub it in. :ill:

SABuffalo786
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM
What was the point of this thread?

Edited for TOS violation. - Dr.Lecter

I wouldn't care if Laviolette cured AIDS. I'd still hope him and his team all get painful cancer and die.

slakjaw157
06-02-2006, 03:31 PM
I think that's a little harsh.

BleedinGreenNC
06-02-2006, 03:56 PM
What was the point of this thread?

Edited for TOS violation. - Dr.Lecter

I wouldn't care if Laviolette cured AIDS. I'd still hope him and his team all get painful cancer and die.

Why are you so mad?

SABuffalo786
06-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Why are you still here?

chernobylwraiths
06-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Free forum, everyone has a right to be here. We have dolphin fans on here too.

Typ0
06-03-2006, 03:57 PM
I've yet to see a team that won a championship not cracking the champagne...that seems to indicate it's always on hand when the potential to win it is there.

RockStar36
06-04-2006, 12:14 AM
It's to bad that team USA was so relentless....