PDA

View Full Version : Name some players Galisano can get to help the Sabres.

blackonyx89
06-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Galisano should bring in some fine players to help the Sabres make it to the Cup Finals and win next year . In other words,give Lindy the tools to finish the job (I had to steal that quote from John Rigas).Wait a sec,he was stealing! OOOOOOOOOOH,that was a cheap shot!Sorry!

Anyway,who can he bring in?

Philagape
06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
It's more important to re-sign everyone we have now.

Dozerdog
06-02-2006, 02:58 PM
The guys we have were more than capable of getting into the cup. Resign them- especially McKee

It was just a freak of nature having the top 4 defensemen go down.

If we need to get a free agent or two- maybe look into someone like Ed Jovonoski or something like that (if it's not too expensive)

Maybe find a replacement for Teppo if he retires

L.A. Playa
06-02-2006, 03:14 PM
cant say I know a whole lot about the salary structure in the NHL, but where not tthe Sabres one of the few clubs well below the cap ??

Their 2 best selling points could be we can give you more money and you will have more potential earning playing on the special team we are creating.

Probably the best Finals scenario for the Sabres is to have the Hurricane sweep Edmonton, that way they could say we where that close to winning it all

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I would say you need to sign pretty much everyone here now. You will have to try to get griere and McKee back. I don't know if they made enough money in the playoffs, but I might like to see like:

Defense
Joe Corvo
Pavel Kubina

Offense
David Vyborny
Mark Parrish

Ebenezer
06-02-2006, 05:12 PM
a good GM would not sit pat...even Polian went out and got Lofton...they have some tinkering to do...Mair, Pyatt, Gaustad all add some nicely needed grit but wouldn't you rather have had Whitney, Williams or Brin D'Amour in the lineup?

If Darcy resigns all these guys and does nothing else but replace those that retire (Teppo) and they don't make/win the Cup next year those that wanted the team kept intact would be the first to complain.

I agree. Sign all these guys but get me one or two more gritty players up front one being somebody over 30.

SABuffalo786
06-02-2006, 05:24 PM
A guy like Jovanovski (sp) sounds real good at this point.

Philagape
06-02-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't think they should do nothing as far as signing new guys, but the current players should be the top priority. With Teppo at 37, a D-man would be good to pick up.

chernobylwraiths
06-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I can see trying to get someone for defensive depth. I liked how Janik played though and the limited time I saw Paetsh was ok. I wouldn't mind seeing another scorer with some grit. We need our guys to learn how to finish checks though. There seem to be only a half dozen forwards who will finish their checks and I think that contributed to us losing.

chernobylwraiths
06-02-2006, 08:18 PM
I also would like to say that I thought they needed to sign a player in the beginning. While I still think the right player might have helped, (hey Stillman could have helped us just by not being on the hurricanes), I was obviously mistaken in needing the help. Well MAYBE one more defenseman, but that would have been it. Who would have thought that this young team would play like they did? Certainly not me and I doubt even the biggest fans of the team who were saying to stay put (Dozer).

Obviously, we are set at goalie, especially if we can keep Biron. On defense we have what I consider six really solid players if McKee and Numinen can be resigned. Kalinin started playing very well before he got hurt, Tallinder took a major step forward and Lydman is a solid player. Campbell is probably the weakest link, but he is one of the better offensive players.

On offense, we did really well with everyone taking a turn scoring. I was a little disappointed that Hecht seemed to disappear in the playoffs for the most part and Afinagenov couldn't seem to buy a point though he at least looked like he was trying. They really missed Connolly and his playmaking skills since our offense seemed to come mostly from Briere and Drury.

I think with the way this team played last year, they deserve the benefit of the doubt and keep the same team in tact.

Philagape
06-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I'd keep Campbell over Kalinin

Ebenezer
06-02-2006, 08:34 PM
I'd keep Campbell over Kalinin
based on what we saw the last 7 games I agree...however, Campbell has shown to be weak over the course of a regular season.

LABillsFan
06-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Well, Marty is gone. I really like him as a player and the spirit he brings to the team but he is too pricey. They'll have to replace him. But with who and realistically, they'll need someone with experience to come in and help Miller.

I really want McKee back, but I also can see The Sabres saving a lot of money going with another experienced Defenceman. Will he be willing to do what McKee did for this team? Who knows, but hopefully the rest of the team takes the next step and they won't need to rely on all that sacrificing.

Janik and Paetsh will probably get a bigger roles next year in the line up, they learned a lot this playoff series. a trade is always possible during the year if they can't make it.

Max is Max, I love the speed, the moves, and he had a breakout year, but he needs to prove he can finish. I'm not talking based on this years playoffs performance for saying this. It has been on my mind for the last 2. He really needs to show some improvement in this area. Hopefully he will.

Coaching needs to improve. The Sabres all year had a hard time getting the puck out of their end. Slinging the puck around behind the net seems to always go too far to complete a pass and goes to the opponents point man. THIS DROVE ME CRAZY ALL YEAR. I think the lack of size had a lot to do with it but not taking that second to make a direct pass or getting into a spot to get passed to has to do with coaching.

I like Grier, he is a leader and gives his all, but he gets a lot of scoring chances and can not finish. I wish he would because he would be that more valuable. I love his heart but he may be let go.

I think they are a little small for the battles in the corners. So if Grier is gone 2 bigger guys ala Gaustad.

I like the fact that there is a sense of brotherhood in the locker room, but we as fans will want more than just a good showing. There does need to be additions,

Philagape
06-02-2006, 09:16 PM
based on what we saw the last 7 games I agree...however, Campbell has shown to be weak over the course of a regular season.

He had me at the Hit :D

chernobylwraiths
06-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Kalinin might have been our best defenseman when he got hurt. He was playing VERY good.

SkateZilla
06-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Re-Sign Everyone,

Get Teppo and Patrick Defensive Coaching Deals or Organization spots somewhere...

Have Grier Spend a Few weeks with Briere or someone..

Grier had well over 25 breakaways Most of them SH, and didnt get squat because he cant deke or stick handle, even a slight ability could help him, Same with Peters, Before the playoffs, when he played with Mair he was Skating and hitting, but no stick handling at all.. Peters Actually impressed me the last 15 or so games...

Sign 2 Or 3 Mid Ranked Defensemen to replace Teppo..

Hate to Say it, but a Forward is gonna end of up going, not enough room for all the forwards, someone could be traded for a DMan or paired with marty for a solid backup and some picks or players...

Light a Fire Under Vaneks Butt, he is more than capable of scoring 40+,

Him and Briere could do alot next year ...

Kotalik seemed to stop wanting to shoot on the PP, 17 goals in the first part of the season and what, 5 in the last 75%? haha

Work on Point shots,

Seriously Carolina and Ottawa both Keyed in on this, When Connolly was out, the Pointmen Wether its PP or Even, didnt want the puck, like at all, always passing down low or trying to force a pass down low,

so other teams PK will collapse low and wide onto teh boards, to wash out our forwards and chip the puck out...

Getting the Puck out, it ticked me off royal too, whoever mentioned it above, all the time, we play position and dont attack the player, even strenth is like watching a PK most of the time, and when they do get teh puck they flip it along the boards right to their pointmen...

Ebenezer
06-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Doug Janik beats out Fitz for a roster spot next year.

PUCKER
06-03-2006, 02:26 AM
Dont mess with the team chemistry. If anything,we try and get them all signed and maybe pick up a couple defensemen.

LABillsFan
06-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Doug Janik beats out Fitz for a roster spot next year.

I can see that happening

LABillsFan
06-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Getting the Puck out, it ticked me off royal too, whoever mentioned it above, all the time, we play position and dont attack the player, even strenth is like watching a PK most of the time, and when they do get teh puck they flip it along the boards right to their pointmen...

While all the other teams attacked when the Sabres had the puck. The dump and chase never worked during the playoffs and getting set up hardly worked when Ottawa and The Canes pressed. They would attack, and the Sabres could never get sustained control. A lot of this tires out the D as we saw. More reason to get 1 or 2 bigger forwards.

Dozerdog
06-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Don't forget that the Sabres invested 6 draft picks on defense in this last draft.

RockStar36
06-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I can't find the article but I could've sworn that I read how the Sabres were like 10 mil under the cap and the cap will rise another 2 or 3 mil this year. I honestly think the Sabres will be fine w/ the team they have. I wouldn't mind having them sign one big d-man and maybe one quick forward but other than that they need to keep this team together.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Chara from Ottawa if they let him go, It sounds they will when they clean house :up: there's your steady Defenceman he's 6'9" and he can stand in front of the net on the PP and no one can move him he also logs alot of ice time. I think he wants out of Ottawa anyways he certainly didn't help Ottawa in the playoffs when we played against him I think he would be a great fit on this team. Resign McKee no matter what!!!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I can't find the article but I could've sworn that I read how the Sabres were like 10 mil under the cap and the cap will rise another 2 or 3 mil this year. I honestly think the Sabres will be fine w/ the team they have. I wouldn't mind having them sign one big d-man and maybe one quick forward but other than that they need to keep this team together.

with a payroll of about $31 million, some $8 million short of the league's newly imposed salary cap.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-sabreswrapup&prov=ap&type=lgns

RockStar36
06-04-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm glad someone else said it...sign Chara.

Dr. Lecter
06-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Supposedly the Rangers are going to offer him 8 million a year.

Just something I read. At that price I'll pass.

Dozerdog
06-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Supposedly the Rangers are going to offer him 8 million a year.

Just something I read. At that price I'll pass.I'm not sure if the Rangers can do that.

Jagr was the only player in the NHL last year who exceeded the individual player cap. The new CBA cut everyone's pay by 20% and held teams to a limit of $7 or $8 million to an individual's player contract. After the cuts Jagr was still around $9-10 million.

The league made an exception for Jagr. I don't see how they have the space to add on another $8 million deal.

RockStar36
06-04-2006, 11:19 AM
If the price were going to be that high I would hope that the Sabres pass as well. But I'd like to see them take a shot at signing him.

The_Philster
06-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, Marty is gone. I really like him as a player and the spirit he brings to the team but he is too pricey. They'll have to replace him. But with who and realistically, they'll need someone with experience to come in and help Miller. and we have to :pray: nothing happens to Ryan. I'd prefer to keep Biron, but not at that price

I really want McKee back, but I also can see The Sabres saving a lot of money going with another experienced Defenceman. Will he be willing to do what McKee did for this team? Who knows, but hopefully the rest of the team takes the next step and they won't need to rely on all that sacrificing.McKee doesn't make a lot relative to other defenseman if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, it'd be nice to bring in another experienced guy but McKee's leadership would be hard to replace, IMO.

Janik and Paetsh will probably get a bigger roles next year in the line up, they learned a lot this playoff series. a trade is always possible during the year if they can't make it.Paetsh only played in what, 1 or 2 games? I think he'll be back in Rochester but could come up a few times next season

Max is Max, I love the speed, the moves, and he had a breakout year, but he needs to prove he can finish. I'm not talking based on this years playoffs performance for saying this. It has been on my mind for the last 2. He really needs to show some improvement in this area. Hopefully he will.Howard Simon said it a few months ago and I have to agree. Max is the type of player who can blow you away with his speed and skill....but his inconsistency is maddening at times.
I like the fact that there is a sense of brotherhood in the locker room, but we as fans will want more than just a good showing. There does need to be additions,I bolded that part for emphasis...the team chemistry will only help to improve the team and the play on the ice.

mchurchfie
06-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Coaching needs to improve. The Sabres all year had a hard time getting the puck out of their end. Slinging the puck around behind the net seems to always go too far to complete a pass and goes to the opponents point man. THIS DROVE ME CRAZY ALL YEAR. I think the lack of size had a lot to do with it but not taking that second to make a direct pass or getting into a spot to get passed to has to do with coaching.

:bf1:I wholeheartedly agree. This was a very overlooked and underrated occurence that happened all year. It was hidden by the Sabres success at the other end of the rink. They could have lobbed off weeks of time in their own end over the course of the season had they made a little softer, more controllable , first pass to intsead of panicking and winging it around to the other teams pointman. Miller was guilty of that also. It was one of their ultimate undoings in the final round against the Canes. The coaches should have recognized it and addressed it.