PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign another QB

G. Host
06-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Low-key cap casulty day
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dclayton_john#20060602
A Call To Arms: The Bills made a curious move in picking up Kliff Kingsbury on waivers from the Jets. They have Craig Nall, J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb in the only three-way competition in the league this summer. Kingsbery's chances of getting into the top three are doubtful, but the Bills needed a fourth arm for training camp.

Dozerdog
06-03-2006, 05:28 PM
The two guys we sent to NFLE (Ochs and Woodbury) came back injured.

jamze132
06-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Why do we need 4 QBs for training camp?

G. Host
06-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Practice throwing to all of the WRs we have. We do not want any of their arms to become tired or even worse have problems such as tendonitis.

Dozerdog
06-03-2006, 05:44 PM
You need 3 for the regular roster- if one goes down you need someone working in the system - usually teams go to camp with 5

jamze132
06-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I would rather just give all the reps to JP and if he can't figure it out, we hope for Brady Quinn next year. We know Holcomb isn't going to lead us to the promised land and I am very sceptical of Nall since he was Favre's backup while they drafted Rodgers to replace Favre.

WTF is Klingsberry?

G. Host
06-03-2006, 05:53 PM
You need 3 for the regular roster- if one goes down you need someone working in the system - usually teams go to camp with 5
Three unless your starter is an ironman - Farve, Bledsoe and Peyton Mannng are three QBs which when they are your starter you do not need a clip board holder as QB #3. There may be a couple more but those QBs are extremely durable.

Ickybaluky
06-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Kingbury is a poor-man's Steve Walsh.

He put up huge numbers in Texas Tech's wide-open shotgun offense, but hasn't been able to stick in the Pros. Has a good head on his shoulders, is smart and has intangibles, however is isn't very physically imposing and has below-average NFL arm strength. There are some throws, particularly the deep outs, he just can't throw.

Dozerdog
06-03-2006, 06:42 PM
He went to NFLE with New England, right?

Nublar7
06-03-2006, 07:50 PM
He went to NFLE with New England, right?Jets

bigbub2352
06-03-2006, 07:52 PM
this guy wasnt to bad in college, alot like Ochs i think

Dozerdog
06-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Ah... But he was on New England's roster at one point.

YardRat
06-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Camp fodder.

pintonick96
06-03-2006, 09:26 PM
He's a pretty cool guy from what Im told. My kicked in college walked on to Texas Tech before comign to UC and hung out with him a few times.

Ickybaluky
06-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Ah... But he was on New England's roster at one point.

Yes, he spent most of his first NFL year on the Saints PS. He was on the Broncos and Jets PS at different points as well, I believe. He is the type of kid that would have been a great QB if he had the physical tools, but he is a skinny kid that lacks an NFL arm.

Mr. Cynical
06-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Camp fodder.

yep

Mr. Pink
06-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Yes, he spent most of his first NFL year on the Saints PS. He was on the Broncos and Jets PS at different points as well, I believe. He is the type of kid that would have been a great QB if he had the physical tools, but he is a skinny kid that lacks an NFL arm.

He has the size for the NFL and does have some mobility....He's 6'3" 220 but he lacks arm strength for deep throws and throwing across his body.

I wouldn't dismiss him as just training camp fodder though...I could honestly see him beating out Nall for the number 3 job on this team. Kingsbury doesn't lack accuracy on his passes which is something against Nall which we've seen from reports on him in the OTAs.

I haven't seen Kingsbury play since a few games I caught of Texas Tech though so he might have regressed since he played there. The biggest problem he had at Texas Tech was floating long passes and he played mainly out of the shotgun. While you can't teach arm strength so the floating long passes will still be there he may be more comfortable under center now then he was at Texas Tech.

He's basically a copy of Holcomb but at a younger age with more mobility. Whether that's a good thing or not is a completely different story though.

He's a prospect profile on Kingsbury from NFL.com, it's a tad outdated though but you get the general idea of his strengths and weaknesses, if you're interested at all.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/kingsbury_kliff

LifetimeBillsFan
06-04-2006, 07:31 AM
this guy wasnt to bad in college, alot like Ochs i think

Ochs has (or at least had, depending on what the injury he suffered to his arm in NFLE is) a stronger arm than Kingsbury.

I would say that he is camp fodder, too, but, with Nall struggling so much with picking up the offense and his accuracy in the OTAs, maybe that's not so easy to assume. The one thing that Kingsbury has going for him is his accuracy--he was outstanding in college because of it.

If he is just camp fodder, though, I wouldn't worry about him stealing reps from JP or the other QBs--he won't get that many. Basically, teams bring in extra QBs to throw passes to the WRs so that the WRs can catch enough balls in practicing their route running drills, etc. Those QBs don't get many reps working in drills against the defensive players or running plays in unit drills. The extra QB(s) is(are) in camp to make sure that the top QBs on the team don't get overworked or injure their arms throwing in the WR drills and each of the WRs can, then, get enough reps in those drills.

ICE74129
06-04-2006, 12:14 PM
He has the size for the NFL and does have some mobility....He's 6'3" 220 but he lacks arm strength for deep throws and throwing across his body.

I wouldn't dismiss him as just training camp fodder though...I could honestly see him beating out Nall for the number 3 job on this team. Kingsbury doesn't lack accuracy on his passes which is something against Nall which we've seen from reports on him in the OTAs.

I haven't seen Kingsbury play since a few games I caught of Texas Tech though so he might have regressed since he played there. The biggest problem he had at Texas Tech was floating long passes and he played mainly out of the shotgun. While you can't teach arm strength so the floating long passes will still be there he may be more comfortable under center now then he was at Texas Tech.

He's basically a copy of Holcomb but at a younger age with more mobility. Whether that's a good thing or not is a completely different story though.

He's a prospect profile on Kingsbury from NFL.com, it's a tad outdated though but you get the general idea of his strengths and weaknesses, if you're interested at all.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/kingsbury_kliff

You need to get over your hate of Nall. Kingsbury is camp fodder. I watched him in the Big 12 his entire career, he doesn't have what it takes in the NFL.

Jan Reimers
06-05-2006, 10:43 AM
If we wanted a guy with a weaker arm than Holcomb, Kingsbury is definitely it. When he throws more than 20 yards, his receiver has to call for a fair catch.

ICE74129
06-05-2006, 10:56 AM
If we wanted a guy with a weaker arm than Holcomb, Kingsbury is definitely it. When he throws more than 20 yards, his receiver has to call for a fair catch.

100% correct.