• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

Two Bears who missed workouts demoted

When the Bears began their minicamp Friday, two starters who had bypassed most of the team's voluntary sessions in the offseason were demoted to second-team status.

The move was probably a temporary one but, when the Chicago Bears began their mandatory three-day minicamp Friday, two starters who had bypassed most of the team's voluntary sessions in the offseason were demoted to second-team status.

"To be at the top of the starting rotation," Smith said, "you have to be here."

I wonder if the NFLPA official whiner will start complaining that they can not be penalized regarding OTA work?
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Two Bears who missed workouts demoted

Originally posted by G. Host
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2468962
    The move was probably a temporary one but, when the Chicago Bears began their mandatory three-day minicamp Friday, two starters who had bypassed most of the team's voluntary sessions in the offseason were demoted to second-team status.

"To be at the top of the starting rotation," Smith said, "you have to be here."

I wonder if the NFLPA official whiner will start complaining that they can not be penalized regarding OTA work?

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Explain to me how they are being penalized? They aren't. If they aren't as up to speed, in as good a shape etc, then they dont' start. Its that simple.

No one should be given a job correct?

Will the NFLPA whine? Sure. I hope Marv and DJ have the guts to do the same thing. I hope ALL teams start doing it. Let the NFLPA ***** and whine. They have no leg to stand on esp in sports.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
        • Jun 2005

Figures ICE. Listen man they will get chewed out my the union. They cant do that. Its VOLUNTARY! Get it through your SKULL!

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

Considering the Bears drafted Benson 4th overall last year, Jones being demoted to #2 is a non-issue. Actually I think they're glad Jones skipped the OTA so that they COULD move Benson to #1 and blame it on Jones.

As for Briggs, he's probably positioning himself for a bigger contract. He made the Pro Bowl last year and is the final year of a deal that pays him $726K. All the reason in the world for him to stay away and force a huge contract, given it's his final year.

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

They have no leg to stand on esp in sports.
            actually, the fact that they were voluntary, not mandatory, practices they missed, they do have a case but most players with even half a clue realize that the depth chart at mini-camp means absolutely nothing.
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsIN05
              Figures ICE. Listen man they will get chewed out my the union. They cant do that. Its VOLUNTARY! Get it through your SKULL!
              they can do whatever they want with the depth chart. They just cant suspend the players.

I personally hope that Jauron does this with Willis McGahee. He missed most of the offseason workouts and a minicamp. He doesn't know the offense. it would be a sign to Willis to let him know that we arent going to take his crap anymore. If you arent here and dont know the new system, you can lose your spot on the roster to Anthony Thomas, Lionel Gates or someone else who is here working their ass off.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Oh and I wonder if London Fletcher is skipping the workouts because he's trying to get a new contract like Lance Briggs is. Hmmmm.....

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Maybe. But Briggs is young and Fletcher isn't.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal
                    Maybe. But Briggs is young and Fletcher isn't.
                    exactly.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Aug 2004

I would not be surprised if the NFLPA filed a grievance over this just to protect the clause in the contract that states that these OTAs are voluntary. I'm sure that the union would want the NFL to give them something in collective bargaining in exchange for making the OTAs de facto mandatory and would file the grievance whether the players wanted them to or not.

And, unless the team could give a reason for demoting the players that was unrelated to their absence at the OTAs, there's a good chance that the union might win its grievance. It's not unlike the situation where some coaches started making players stay longer than permitted in the contract or held additional practice sessions not permitted by the contract, where the union filed grievances, won and the NFL was forced to punish those teams by not permitting them to have a certain number of the sessions permitted by the contract. Although, I don't know what kind of relief the union might want to get for these players.
                      Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

From your posts on this subject I have to ask...are you honestly this stupid? What do you not get? Any HC can bench ANY player at any time, for any reason.

There is NOTHING in the NFLPA that says Bill B has to play tom brady. Nothing. Parcells can bench TO and sit his ass all year if he wants. Tough ****.

So if a player doesn't attend ota's he can be benched. Sorry thats the way it is.

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                          I would not be surprised if the NFLPA filed a grievance over this just to protect the clause in the contract that states that these OTAs are voluntary. I'm sure that the union would want the NFL to give them something in collective bargaining in exchange for making the OTAs de facto mandatory and would file the grievance whether the players wanted them to or not.

And, unless the team could give a reason for demoting the players that was unrelated to their absence at the OTAs, there's a good chance that the union might win its grievance. It's not unlike the situation where some coaches started making players stay longer than permitted in the contract or held additional practice sessions not permitted by the contract, where the union filed grievances, won and the NFL was forced to punish those teams by not permitting them to have a certain number of the sessions permitted by the contract. Although, I don't know what kind of relief the union might want to get for these players.
                          They won't win. They aren't as prepared as those attending the OTA's. IF and WHEN they get prepared they might beat out the guy that was there. But that will be decided in camp, or through the first few games of the season.

Keep this in mind as well, the player gets too outta hand, they can just cut him.

It is more than obvious many of you don't understand the workings of football or you would understand teams CAN get away with this. Its so easy to do its not funny.

Comment

• feelthepain
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

No player on any team is guaranteed a spot and I'm 100% sure it isn't written in any contract, so if a coach feels he has better opitions and a better chance to win (which is best for the team) for whatever reason there is nothing the union can do. Being demoted to second team doesn't mean a player stays there it just means they didn't do enough to be considered a starter.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Who can take a man named " Lovey " seriously ?
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X