PDA

View Full Version : How multiple sets make defenses fret

G. Host
06-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Interesting article by someone who has a lot of time to look at film.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9473554
The NFL game today is multiple personnel groupings!

Most defensive coordinators are going to quickly identify how many wide receivers are in the game before they declare what defensive package they send on the field. Believe me, identifying personnel groupings in a split-second and getting the right defensive group on the field can be very stressful on the sidelines. Offenses are no longer in the business of making life easy for the defenders by having personnel limitations.

DynaPaul
06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Hopefully with the new offense our passing game will really take off. I'm looking for Evans to have a big year. We might have to use the pass to set up the run if our o-line is as crappy as it was last year.

ICE74129
06-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Hopefully with the new offense our passing game will really take off. I'm looking for Evans to have a big year. We might have to use the pass to set up the run if our o-line is as crappy as it was last year.

It won't take off with holcomb at the helm that is a known fact.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Which is why a rookie QB like Losman struggled so much compared a vet like Holcomb. You have so many groupings to learn in the first place (route, adjustments etc.). And the more difficult part - reacting to different defenses defending each grouping. It's that split second to find the mismatch from your grouping and that particular defense separates a Tom brady from a Rob Johnson.

Mike Mularkay carries a reputation of an offensive genius, someone very adapt at creating new groupings. To be fair to him, I say we see evidence of that in the first series of majority of our games last year. I think his preparation, helping the offense in the week leading to the game attacking the weakness of the defense he saw on the film was effective. But the problem was that after the defense adjusted, he could not get his QB and offense to adjust, resulting an overall failure.

Part of the problem was QB, who by all account, was a rookie. The other part was on the coaches who all season long failed to amend the problem. The best they could come up with was to change starting QB.

ICE74129
06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Which is why a rookie QB like Losman struggled so much compared a vet like Holcomb. You have so many groupings to learn in the first place (route, adjustments etc.). And the more difficult part - reacting to different defenses defending each grouping. It's that split second to find the mismatch from your grouping and that particular defense separates a Tom brady from a Rob Johnson.

Mike Mularkay carries a reputation of an offensive genius, someone very adapt at creating new groupings. To be fair to him, I say we see evidence of that in the first series of majority of our games last year. I think his preparation, helping the offense in the week leading to the game attacking the weakness of the defense he saw on the film was effective. But the problem was that after the defense adjusted, he could not get his QB and offense to adjust, resulting an overall failure.

Part of the problem was QB, who by all account, was a rookie. The other part was on the coaches who all season long failed to amend the problem. The best they could come up with was to change starting QB.

To me Holcomb did worse than JP. all those years of exp that JP doesnt' have and he goes 10 TD's and 10 Ints on his way to being 3-4? he won one more game at QB then JP did. That is pathetic.