PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spoon

Tatonka
02-14-2003, 08:26 PM
we really havent talked about him too much, so i wanted to get some conversation going...

i was really impressed with the way he played as a totally green rookie, filling in like he did.

he definately showed some playmaking ability, as he had 2 ints returned for TDs.. i also remember at least on forced fumble and fumble recovery.

i read somewhere on the boards here that he was an OLB in college.. is this true?

seeing as he had a couple picks, i wouldnt say his coverage skills are horrible. i dont think he ever was asked to blitz at MLB when he played, so we dont really know if he can rush the passer.

i havent read anything about him getting a shot at OLB.. is this a possibility?

seeing as how he had another year to learn the defense, and rehab from his injury to get stronger, it would seem logical that in his third year, it may be time for him to shine if given the right opportunity.

i am starting to wonder if he couldnt do what a guy like maslowski did last year for the chiefs.

we only have him for a couple more years under his current contract.. shouldnt we get some more use out of him? or is he just a guy who is destined to be another Polk?

i am starting to think that maybe we sign spikes and give spoon a shot on the other side..

what do you thinK?

:stupid:

Buffarama
02-14-2003, 08:34 PM
I believe he's missed almost 2 out of 3 entire seasons, and he's young. Not only do we not know if he can play, his injury prone status is questionable at best.

Tatonka
02-14-2003, 09:03 PM
2 of 3?

he started all year as a rookie, and then missed this last season because of a torn bicep muscle.

i would hardly call one injury in the pros injury prone.. if that is so, then every player in the nfl is injury prone, no?

venis2k1
02-14-2003, 09:21 PM
1. I am not knocking his coverage skillz, but at least one of his INTs was off a tipped ball.

2. If he couldnt win the spot over Eddie Robinson in Pre-Season this year, i dont think he has much of a chance of getting it this coming year(I realize he got injured early in preseason, but i doubt he would have won it anyways)

3.Im half with you, i think we should sign Spikes(if possible/reasonable) then draft a OLB in the Draft if there is a good one available in the second round. Definatly let spoon compete with the rookie for the job, But spoon is great depth at LB anyway you cut it.

JefftheBillsfan
02-14-2003, 09:43 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing a Favors/Spoon/draft pick battling it out for the SLB spot with someone like Spikes or at least the 1 from Indy, his name excapes me...hate when that happens..

JefftheBillsfan
02-14-2003, 09:44 PM
...Peterson...

Buffarama
02-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
2 of 3?

he started all year as a rookie, and then missed this last season because of a torn bicep muscle.

i would hardly call one injury in the pros injury prone.. if that is so, then every player in the nfl is injury prone, no?

Maybe it's 2 of 2. He had another injury prior to this one, his first season then now that you have jogged my memory. So he has missed a good portion of his first year, and all of last year. He has yet to play an entire year and has yet to make an impact. Not exactly what endears you to a man around 25 yrs old.

Tatonka
02-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama

Maybe it's 2 of 2. He had another injury prior to this one, his first season then now that you have jogged my memory. So he has missed a good portion of his first year, and all of last year. He has yet to play an entire year and has yet to make an impact. Not exactly what endears you to a man around 25 yrs old.

again.. i will correct you..

he has only played two seasons.. he was a rookie, and started in the final 14 games of the season due to the injury to cowart. he had no injury.. he played all 14 games he was asked to. he had one injury last year in the preseason that kept him from playing last year.

as far as i know, and as far as the stats at nfl.com show, he has only had one injury that caused him to miss a game.. and that was the one he sustained last year in the preseason to his bicep..

here.. look for yourself then revise your statements please.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235159

Tatonka
02-14-2003, 10:21 PM
i just checked again.. and if i am wrong.. then i am friggin blind, and deserve to be called an idiot.

Tatonka
02-14-2003, 10:22 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235159/gamelogs/2001

Jeff 311
02-15-2003, 08:56 AM
I say put Spoon at SLB let him compete w/ favors or a draft pick. Then go after Spikes and Hugh.

ublinkwescore
02-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Brandon Spoon is good.

A rookie LB that makes two pics (even if one of them was tipped), and returns them for touchdowns has gotta remind you of Derrick Brooks, or Ray Lewis.

And as far as I can remember, he's only had one injury, and he filled in immediately for Sam Cowart after Cowart went down year before last.

ArcticWildMan
02-15-2003, 10:24 AM
He ruptured a bicep in college. That's what you are thinking of.

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 12:13 PM
same arm?

my father tore his bicep about 10 years ago. they say it happens sometimes when you are actually too muscular. i think that it is something that spoon will be more cautious of and hopefully it wont happen again.

i still liked what i saw from the rookie that was thrown in the fire and hope he gets a chance.

ArcticWildMan
02-15-2003, 12:37 PM
I think it was his other arm. He's rumored to be a weight room monster, so I guess it isn't surprising.

Tatonka
02-16-2003, 12:04 PM
no one else has an opinion about this guy?

NC-BILLS44
02-16-2003, 12:35 PM
IMHO he should get a chance to start at SLB. He's shown his talent and had all of last year to familiarize himself with the defense. I think he will be starting next year.

ublinkwescore
02-16-2003, 01:21 PM
I don't know about starting right from the start of the season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him earn the starting job by about week 3 or 4.

Schobel94
02-16-2003, 01:24 PM
It'll be nice to have him back just to add some depth, as well as Jones at DE, the D will have much more depth and some better starters, I think it will jump lightyears ahead of what it was this year.

EDS
02-16-2003, 02:03 PM
I think Spoon's value will be as a depth player as well. Maybe compete for the strong side, but he is not a coverage linebacker despite two picks as a rookie.

colin
02-16-2003, 02:57 PM
no one else has an opinion about this guy?

Too slow. He needs to get faster.

That might require him to get smaller, but it would make him a better football player.

Tatonka
02-16-2003, 04:36 PM
what makes you say he is not fast enough? give me one example that makes you think that?

colin
02-16-2003, 09:46 PM
what makes you say he is not fast enough? give me one example that makes you think that?

When he runs, it is not quick

JefftheBillsfan
02-16-2003, 09:50 PM
lol @ colin....I know someone is going to break out the 40 times. yes we know, comparitivly in the 40 he puts up competitive times. But for some reason it doesnt seem to transfer onto the field all of the time. I think he might be a little hesitent still. Something that experience can relinquish....crosses fingers....

Bert102176
02-16-2003, 10:39 PM
If Spoon gets the chance I think he will surprise alot of people. The guy is greathe reminds me of Spielman when he was with detroit and with are beloved Bills.

Tatonka
02-16-2003, 10:43 PM
we have had success with white LBs.. paup, spielman, conlan, bently..

colin
02-17-2003, 12:56 PM
we have had success with white LBs.. paup, spielman, conlan, bently..

The problem is Spoon is NOT the athlete those guys were.

He can play the ball well, and know his position and angles well, but he does not have the wheels to play anything but MLB, and London is much better.

Tatonka
02-17-2003, 04:55 PM
wow.. i really would like to know what you are substanciating that comment with???

spielman was a horrible athlete and he was slow as hell.. spoon is DEFINATELY a better athlete than him.. spielman played the game for as long as he did with heart and brains.. he was a film room maniac..

and other than paup.. i would really question the validity of that statement..

ublinkwescore
02-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Shane Conlann was damn good - he was defensive rookie of the year when we drafted him.

John Holecek was good too - he was really overshadowed by Sam Cowart though.

The_Philster
02-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
Shane Conlann was damn good - he was defensive rookie of the year when we drafted him.

John Holecek was good too - he was really overshadowed by Sam Cowart though.

That was because he did the grunt work so Cowart was freed up to get the spotlight.

colin
02-17-2003, 08:16 PM
wow.. i really would like to know what you are substanciating that comment with???

spielman was a horrible athlete and he was slow as hell.. spoon is DEFINATELY a better athlete than him.. spielman played the game for as long as he did with heart and brains.. he was a film room maniac..

and other than paup.. i would really question the validity of that statement..

Much was made about Spielman's lack of speed, but he could run well enough. He was the best linebacker in OSU history, a top 30 pick, and an outstanding performer for Detroit for years. He had enough athletic talent to be 6th in Heisman voting.

Conlan was a freaking athletic superstar, top guy at Penn freaking State, and shut down the Miami O in the championship game for a huge upset victory.

Spoon is a decent prospect, but his particular lack of speed, and his injuries, is really what holds him back.

Do you even watch football?

Tatonka
02-17-2003, 08:43 PM
no.. no i dont watch football at all.. /sigh.. *******.

actually.. the reason why i spend so much time on these boards is i am looking for a good place to meet a condicending jerk that has a difference of opinion...

i dont think spielman did what he did purely through athletic ability.. more to the point.. i think that he did it with guts and brains.. which is just more of a credit to one of the best LBs that ever played for us..

and if i remember correctly, conlan never played a single season without missing games due to injury..

it has been stated before that spoon could have been a much higher pick if he hadnt had some injuries. i think he is just as good if not a better pure athlete than the other guys..

but what the **** do i know.. i dont watch football..

colin
02-17-2003, 11:35 PM
well i thought it was funny, and Spoon is just slow.