PDA

View Full Version : Posey v. Crowell is a worthwhile battle in Buffalo

The_Philster
06-05-2006, 04:45 AM
So far this offseason, the position battle that has been the main focus of many involved with the Buffalo Bills has regarded the quarterbacks. Kelly Holcomb, J.P. Losman and Craig Nall have been duking it out this spring trying to gain the upper-hand on the job. Although that three-way competition receives all the attention, another battle is brewing, and it's happening on the defensive side of the ball. more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/06/posey-crowell-bills050606.html)

ParanoidAndroid
06-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Can we put Spikes on the strong side and put Crowell back at weakside? 119 tackles, 3 sacks, and 2 picks are pretty damn good numbers for 13 starts! It seems like a waste to have a guy like that on the bench.

ICE74129
06-05-2006, 10:04 AM
What is a waste is having Spikes deal with TE's. I'd love to see him rush the passer etc. I just feel they need to use him the way they use D Brooks in Tampa.

Mahdi
06-05-2006, 11:01 AM
What is a waste is having Spikes deal with TE's. I'd love to see him rush the passer etc. I just feel they need to use him the way they use D Brooks in Tampa.
Agreed. Spikes is way too valuable at WLB to put on the strongside. Also I dont see why Crowell would be too small for a Cover 2 defense, he is 6'1 235, where as other players in Cover 2 defense such as Ryan Nece for Tampa is 6'3 224 and David Thornton who played SLB for Indy is 6'2 230. In fact I think Crowell has all the things you want in a LB for this D, fast, instinctive, good tackler, and can make plays against the pass.

Jan Reimers
06-05-2006, 11:05 AM
I think a lot depends on how well Spikes recovers from his Achilles injury. If he loses a step, but still has his strength and ferocity, he might be better suited to the strong side, with Crowell on the weak side, and Posey a situational pass rusher.

ICE74129
06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
I think a lot depends on how well Spikes recovers from his Achilles injury. If he loses a step, but still has his strength and ferocity, he might be better suited to the strong side, with Crowell on the weak side, and Posey a situational pass rusher.

With his injury I would rather have him in space as much as possible vs being tied up with a TE all day.

Jan Reimers
06-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm just not sure if he'll have the speed that he once had to play as effectively in space.

ICE74129
06-05-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm just not sure if he'll have the speed that he once had to play as effectively in space.

Then it would be time to part ways with him. Hey I love the mans heart and attitude, but if he can't be 'TKO' Then he isn't worth taking up a starting spot nor worth his cap number.

That is how it is. I hate it, but its football reality.

Nighthawk
06-05-2006, 07:57 PM
In terms of pure talent, Crowell should be on the field. Posey makes no plays and he really doesn't seem to be around the ball a ton. I understand he is a few inches taller than Crowell, but his height doesn't make him better. I am 100% behind having Crowell out there.

ICE74129
06-05-2006, 09:22 PM
In terms of pure talent, Crowell should be on the field. Posey makes no plays and he really doesn't seem to be around the ball a ton. I understand he is a few inches taller than Crowell, but his height doesn't make him better. I am 100% behind having Crowell out there.

Agreed either you are a good football player are you aren't. If these guys are just worried about height and weight, they need to be working in some other business

Nighthawk
06-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Agreed either you are a good football player are you aren't. If these guys are just worried about height and weight, they need to be working in some other business

Exactly! Too much time is wasted looking at numbers. Can the player make plays or not? It's that simple!