• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouGrant
    The Zone Editor
    • Jul 2002

Outside the Zone - Playing with da big boys

The calender says it is Daytona 500 season, but with the rain in Florida, one little lady has stolen the sports spotlight. Annika Sorenstam has accepted the sponsor's invitation to play in the Colonial later this year. She'll be the first lady duffer to play with the boys since Babe Zaharias did it almost 58 years ago. Now. Does anybody actually expect her to win? Of course not. That isn't what it is about. Many see it as equal opportunity. I see it as equality. ...MORE...
    Get into the Zone
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

I would really appreciate some comments and an open discussion about this one...and before anybody starts, please note that nowhere in the article did I say that Title IX is a bad thing or that it should be gotten rid of.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

i really don'tthink this is a big deal anymore.

Women have broken into Nascar Racing, the Indy 500, Mannon Rehume and "what's her face" Wickenheiser into Hockey, we have had a girl Globetrotter- hecl even this sort half a century before.

I'ts passe-

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

rehume was hot
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Winfield_26
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Ill say it Title XI is a joke and should be done away with, I agree something for equality needs to be done, but cancelling sports is not the answer!
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Brian H
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Nov 2002

Does she play tennis?
            ProFootballCentral.com

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

I'm not a huge golf fan. I'm not bothered by the fact that she's playing. I think she ought to tee off from the men's spot though. I don't think she stands a chance in any case. Maybe she'll make the cut. I think she'll probably enter a few events and then quietly fade away, back to the women's tour.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

Ignoring title IX...

Annika Sorenstam is a golf quality unlike any seen since tiger woods... the problem is she is a girl... and while I'm a liberated type of guy, I'll never forget my experience playing the girls varsity soccer team... this team was good, they would win their division latter in the year... (I played both soccer and football in the fall, hockey in the winter and lacrosse in the spring…), when I was in 9th grade and on the JV squad... we killed them. I played D, it was my first year ever playing soccer, and I remember watching the girls play for my HS (because they were so good), and I was shocked at how simple it was to defend them, to beat them.

Girls can play many sports better than me. Sorenstam plays golf better than I ever will... yet even she will only be good enough to finish in the top 20 of the pro golf tournament, as men are made for physical accomplishment.
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Cntrygal
                  Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                  as men are made for physical accomplishment.
                  Does this mean I can tell my commander that I don't need to do as many pushups as the guys at PT (real pushups/not "girly" ones)? I really hate pushups.

Originally posted by notacon
                  The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Drop and give me 20!!

Comment

• Cntrygal
                      Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon
                      The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Ð
                        1-800-SAD-GOAT
                        • Jul 2002

Golf as a spectator sport ....snoooooooorrrreeee

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Cntrygal

Does this mean I can tell my commander that I don't need to do as many pushups as the guys at PT (real pushups/not "girly" ones)? I really hate pushups.

I really hated PT too…

Hey... don't forget I was in the Marines (briefly), and the toughest sergeant I ever came across was a female "guns"... She was the most intimidating soldier I ever came across, and I wouldn't have had a problem going into battle with her at my back.

That being said, what I'm talking about is top athletic achievement, and while a lot of women can hit the top 20% of guy achievement, it is nearly impossible for them to break into the top 1%...
                          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Brian H
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Nov 2002

Playing golf its not like shes gonna get hurt so I have no problem with it....
                            ProFootballCentral.com

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

I have no problem with women competing with guys. What I detest is that they can prohibit men from playing in their sports (the LPGA prohibits any men). That's a double standard that is BS.

Comment

Working...
                              X