06-06-2006, 06:11 PM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=2543

ICE74129
06-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Watson...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493108

Marvelous
06-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Mods could you delete my thread about this...

Euhus was burried here and woulda been only used in case of injury. Esp with BC being the OTA TE beast..

TacklingDummy
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
I wonder if he didn't show up to camp? Maybe thats why Marv traded him.

shelby
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Done. Thanks for posting the news for us, y'all.

ICE74129
06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I wonder if he didn't show up to camp? Maybe thats why Marv traded him.

That was a worthless post.

The_Philster
06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
trade is pending league approval and is not yet final. :scratch: Probably just a technicality..Euhus was healthy last I knew ...no clue about Watson

TacklingDummy
06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
That was a worthless post.

You should know a thing or 6425 about worthless posts.

Marvelous
06-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Late 2nd rounder in the JP/Evans draft.
A lil info i found.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/tracker/round?round=2

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6819

Sportsuser101
06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
l love this trade. Watson, from Notre Dame, is not only from my favorite college but he's also on my team in BZFL. He's a young MLB who has alot of potential. He was traded to the Dolphins for Eddie Moore but Moore failed his physical. Watson wanted out of New Orleans so was free to look at other teams.

ICE74129
06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
You should know a thing or 6425 about worthless posts.

I wouldn't have a clue except reading yours and skoobs posts

Tatonka
06-06-2006, 06:36 PM
i think that cleskak (i slaughtered his name), the TE that has been catching everything in OTAs helped euhus out the door.

i think this also bodes well for the recovery of everett.

it could also have implications as to spikes.. but more than likely, we just traded for fletchers replacement after he becomes a FA at the end of the year.

Nublar7
06-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Hate to say it, but good trade for the Bills.

ParanoidAndroid
06-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Watson is another guy who needs to get his act together, though. He was arrested and charged with DWI in San Antonio. However, he comes cheap and with decent numbers for a developing player. He is the heir appearant to London Fletcher as long as he keeps his personal life together. We now have awesome depth at linebacker!
From ESPN:

The 60th player chosen in the 2004 draft, Watson signed a five-year, $2.98 million contract with the Saints, including a $1.052 million signing bonus. Releasing Watson would mean New Orleans spent $1.59 million on him in two years, with only a modest return. Watson voided the fifth season of the deal, and has two years left on the contract, at base salaries of $425,000 for 2006 and $460,000 for 2007.
In 21 appearances, Watson has 115 tackles, three sacks and three passes defensed. His 2005 season was marred by a DUI arrest in October, and then a sprained knee sidelined him for the final seven games of the year, which ended with him on the injured reserve list.

Marvelous
06-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I think London Flect replacement is jumping the gun... Flecth is a very underrated fast MLB..

Who remembers him chasing down Santana MOss(Jets) and getting him even with Moss having a 8 yard head start..Fast MLB's like Fletch are precious. imo..

casdhf
06-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Didn't this guy fail a physical for the Fins?

Marvelous
06-06-2006, 07:23 PM
i think that cleskak (i slaughtered his name), the TE that has been catching everything in OTAs helped euhus out the door.

i think this also bodes well for the recovery of everett.

:LOL:
i TOO have butchered his name...I like what i've read about him in ota's.. Refreshing to see a TE hungry for a change...

OpIv37
06-06-2006, 07:24 PM
I think London Flect replacement is jumping the gun... Flecth is a very underrated fast MLB..

Who remembers him chasing down Santana MOss(Jets) and getting him even with Moss having a 8 yard head start..Fast MLB's like Fletch are precious. imo..

but Fletch is on the wrong side of 30 and those hits are catching up with him. He's not going to be fast for too much longer. It's unlikely that Watson will take his starting job this season, but after that who knows?

Plus, with Crowell and Watson we have some options to keep Posey off the field and some back-ups if Spikes doesn't recover (Spikes is my favorite player at the moment and I hope he comes back strong, but the team needs to be prepared if he doesn't).

Seriously, I really like this move. Euhus is no huge loss for us since we now have Royal and Everett, and it helps to solidify a position that has some question marks for us. Spikes/Fletch/Posey/Crowell/Watson is a great group.

Nublar7
06-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Didn't this guy fail a physical for the Fins?No, Eddie Moore failed the physical. Watson passed his.

Nighthawk
06-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey, it sounds like the Bills got the better end of this deal. Slowly, but surely adding more talent and nobody knows it. I like how they are doing things...so far. However, only time will tell if they are the right moves.

Nighthawk
06-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Hate to say it, but good trade for the Bills.

Nublar, I now have some respect for you! It's nice to see that somebody can break away from their allegiance to one team and actually have a smart, intelligent comment on a rival team.

TigerJ
06-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Euhus will have a chance to do something in NO, but he was going nowhere in a Bills uniform. Robert Royal is just about guaranteed the starting position. The Bills seem to love Cieslak, and the Bills believe Everett has a world of upside as a receiving threat from the TE spot. Maybe the Bills got the better end of the deal but it sounds like Watson was a lost cause as a Saint. I kind of think it was good for both teams. Watson's speed is pretty good for the ILB spot. I think he jumps into the #2 spot on the depth chart behind Fletcher. DiGiorgio and Carothers are camp fodder and Ezekiel will have trouble sticking. Ezekiel is strong like bull but I don't think he really has the speed for the Tampa 2. Watson does.

ParanoidAndroid
06-06-2006, 08:52 PM

Heir appearant does not mean immediate replacement, it basically means possible future replacement.

Underrated, yes. But Fletch is definately not now, nor was he ever as fast as Moss. I don't recall that play, and I don't doubt it happened, but I'm sure there is a reason other than Fletcher's speed that made it happen. I watched Fletcher get ran away from many times last year. He's clearly slowing down and he should be...making all those tackles every year. He's awesome, but even the best careers eventually come to an end.

YardRat
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Good trade by Buffalo as far as moving a TE...I'll reserve judgement on Watson until I see how he fits in.

Kerr
06-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Good move. I remember watson at notre dame. I'm glad he's on the squad.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-07-2006, 12:57 AM
I hate to throw cold water on the party, but it has to be noted that Courtney Watson was a MAJOR disappointment for the Saints.

Physically, Watson has all of the tools and, having gone to ND, he is also pretty intelligent. The Saints had VERY high hopes for him and, based on his play in college, he was considered a very good (value) pick for them when they took him in the draft. But, for some reason, he just hasn't been able to put it all together on Sundays in the NFL.

The last two seasons he was virtually handed the starting MLB job by the Saints and just did not get the job done--and with the front four that the Saints had in those seasons, there's simply no excuse for their MLB to be ineffective. Yet, Watson was and even lost his starting job for awhile to an over-the-hill LB that they had signed as a FA. Watson, like the rest of the Saints LB corps, was considered one of the weak spots on their defense, but Watson, unlike their other LBs, was considered to be a guy who had the physical potential to be a much better player than he was and was considered, as I said, a major disappointment and, dare I say, bust.

Now, I don't know if that was due to the defensive scheme or not, but, if this deal goes through, what the Bills are getting is a talented under-achiever who has not yet played up to his potential consistently in the NFL. If he is properly motivated in Buffalo or the problems that he had in NO were due to the scheme, the Bills could be getting a real steal here. But, if he plays for the Bills the way that he did for the Saints, he's no better than a highly talented back-up at best.

Like the Pats' recent deal with the Saints for Sullivan, this is really a no-risk deal for the Bills because Watson's contract numbers are not exhorbitant, so they have nothing to lose if he doesn't work out and they will be getting a good deal across the board if he does. As much as I thought Euhus showed some potential as a pass-catching TE, he's not much of a loss for the Bills at this point. The Bills seem to be looking for TEs who are better blockers than Euhus and Cieslak and Royal offer them more in that regard than Euhus ever could and Everett has the potential to do that also, so the Bills really had no need for Euhus and he probably would have been a preseason cut anyway. So, the Bills get a LB who has the potential to be very good--if he gets his head out of his butt and plays up to that potential--and may be able to help them for virtually nothing. And, that's not a bad deal, no matter what happens with Watson.

But, let's not annoint him as Fletcher's replacement just yet. He may prove to be that, but there's a reason that the Saints have been trying to get rid of him and that reason is that he has not come close to living up to his potential yet in the NFL while with the Saints. Let's just hope that this trade and the change of scenery motivates him to start playing up to that potential now that he is with the Bills. If that happens, it could be one of the best deals the Bills have made in a long time--but, based on his performance in the NFL so far, I'm going to want to see Watson get the job done, first, before I say that it is.

Marvelous
06-07-2006, 01:30 AM
but Fletch is on the wrong side of 30 and those hits are catching up with him. He's not going to be fast for too much longer. It's unlikely that Watson will take his starting job this season, but after that who knows?

Plus, with Crowell and Watson we have some options to keep Posey off the field and some back-ups if Spikes doesn't recover (Spikes is my favorite player at the moment and I hope he comes back strong, but the team needs to be prepared if he doesn't).

Posey is alright by me. Kinda like Phil Hansen. Doesn't make sportscenter but plays hard week in/out.. I need a better example As teh real Marv does too for every player who is a starter because he works hard and not because he is all that. :lol:

Was Crowell "great" last season? Looking back i just can't remember him dominating.. Next time i rewatch some game dvds i'll focus on Crowell more...

It's VERY smart for all of us & management to be prepared for the worst with Spikes. Insurance is always a good thing... I wish we had some insurance during the Bledsoe years.. Imagine! Spikes shattered his achilles. A MLBs' worst nightmare.. Spikes is a super elite, above average hard worker but even he is human. I dunno. I'd rather not gamble the defense on it & be screwed like we were last season..
Disclaimer: Spikes is one off my current fav players..!

Hamilton Billsfan
06-07-2006, 05:59 AM
2004 rookie numbers wern't too bad and I would be giving any NO player the benefit of the doubt considering all the distractions there last year.

SABURZFAN
06-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Nublar, I now have some respect for you!

you're gonna regret this one.

Don't Panic
06-07-2006, 07:24 AM
This is a great pick-up, even if on the surface it goes away from levy's "character" plan. As said earlier, Watson voided the last year of his deal, meaning he ahs two years to prove that he is worthy of a new deal instead of three. He either:

a) Works his tail off to prove he is worth it and gets better along the way, giving us our MLB of the future (not present)
b) Flops and we let him go (having lost our 4th string TE in the process)

Looks good to me. Let's hope he has gotten over the drinking thing... that may be a phase of his life he has put behind him.

!Papacrunk!
06-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Should be a good addition to the LB corps. Solid player.

It is funny though that some have mentioned the whole "character" issue of his DUI, etc, but have easily skooted that issue under the rug. I guess it just depends on what team does it.

justasportsfan
06-07-2006, 08:09 AM
you're gonna regret this one.:up:

OpIv37
06-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Posey is alright by me. Kinda like Phil Hansen. Doesn't make sportscenter but plays hard week in/out.. I need a better example As teh real Marv does too for every player who is a starter because he works hard and not because he is all that. :lol:

Was Crowell "great" last season? Looking back i just can't remember him dominating.. Next time i rewatch some game dvds i'll focus on Crowell more...

It's VERY smart for all of us & management to be prepared for the worst with Spikes. Insurance is always a good thing... I wish we had some insurance during the Bledsoe years.. Imagine! Spikes shattered his achilles. A MLBs' worst nightmare.. Spikes is a super elite, above average hard worker but even he is human. I dunno. I'd rather not gamble the defense on it & be screwed like we were last season..
Disclaimer: Spikes is one off my current fav players..!

Posey is slow- that's no big secret if you saw the play where he picked up that fumble and got caught by a receiver when he had a 15 yard head start. The cover 2 requires LB's to play in pass coverage against WR's and TE's - Posey's lack of speed will be a liability.

Crowell wasn't exactly TKO last year, but he was solid and he's younger and faster than posey- he fits the system better, as does Watson.

bigbub2352
06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
This is a real good deal are u kidding me, Euhus was a injury prone bum, he couldnt block at all even though they said he was a strong blocker, He is weak at the point of attack, and to get soemone with the talent of Watson is awesome, i followed him at Notre Dame, and any one from NO is worth a shot as young as he is, that team was full of distractions, either way he is better than Posey and this could force his departure, Crowell will start there hopefully

Michael82
06-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I like this move. Like others said, Euhus isn't a good block and seems to have fallen to 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. IMO, a backup LBer is a bigger need for us than a 3rd string TE.

justasportsfan
06-07-2006, 09:47 AM
The team is loaded w/ TE's. Up next, we'll be trading one of the wr's. I hope that somewhere/somehow, there's a sucker who would trade for Sam Aiken.

Bling
06-07-2006, 09:56 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=99636&highlight=Dolphins+Watson
(http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=99636&highlight=Dolphins+Watson)
Anyone know where Italian Stalion is?

Mahdi
06-07-2006, 09:57 AM
I hate to throw cold water on the party, but it has to be noted that Courtney Watson was a MAJOR disappointment for the Saints.

Physically, Watson has all of the tools and, having gone to ND, he is also pretty intelligent. The Saints had VERY high hopes for him and, based on his play in college, he was considered a very good (value) pick for them when they took him in the draft. But, for some reason, he just hasn't been able to put it all together on Sundays in the NFL.

The last two seasons he was virtually handed the starting MLB job by the Saints and just did not get the job done--and with the front four that the Saints had in those seasons, there's simply no excuse for their MLB to be ineffective. Yet, Watson was and even lost his starting job for awhile to an over-the-hill LB that they had signed as a FA. Watson, like the rest of the Saints LB corps, was considered one of the weak spots on their defense, but Watson, unlike their other LBs, was considered to be a guy who had the physical potential to be a much better player than he was and was considered, as I said, a major disappointment and, dare I say, bust.

Now, I don't know if that was due to the defensive scheme or not, but, if this deal goes through, what the Bills are getting is a talented under-achiever who has not yet played up to his potential consistently in the NFL. If he is properly motivated in Buffalo or the problems that he had in NO were due to the scheme, the Bills could be getting a real steal here. But, if he plays for the Bills the way that he did for the Saints, he's no better than a highly talented back-up at best.

Like the Pats' recent deal with the Saints for Sullivan, this is really a no-risk deal for the Bills because Watson's contract numbers are not exhorbitant, so they have nothing to lose if he doesn't work out and they will be getting a good deal across the board if he does. As much as I thought Euhus showed some potential as a pass-catching TE, he's not much of a loss for the Bills at this point. The Bills seem to be looking for TEs who are better blockers than Euhus and Cieslak and Royal offer them more in that regard than Euhus ever could and Everett has the potential to do that also, so the Bills really had no need for Euhus and he probably would have been a preseason cut anyway. So, the Bills get a LB who has the potential to be very good--if he gets his head out of his butt and plays up to that potential--and may be able to help them for virtually nothing. And, that's not a bad deal, no matter what happens with Watson.

But, let's not annoint him as Fletcher's replacement just yet. He may prove to be that, but there's a reason that the Saints have been trying to get rid of him and that reason is that he has not come close to living up to his potential yet in the NFL while with the Saints. Let's just hope that this trade and the change of scenery motivates him to start playing up to that potential now that he is with the Bills. If that happens, it could be one of the best deals the Bills have made in a long time--but, based on his performance in the NFL so far, I'm going to want to see Watson get the job done, first, before I say that it is.
Although the Saints are strong at DE, they really didnt have anyone notable at DT. Watson was not exactly in a great defense by any means.

justasportsfan
06-07-2006, 10:05 AM
No, Eddie Moore failed the physical. Watson passed his.
Moore still hasn't recovered from that one punch knockout. I heard for the physical, he had to take a punch from a Saints cheerleader and failed that one .

Bling
06-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Moore still hasn't recovered from that one punch knockout. I heard for the physical, he had to take a punch from a Saints cheerleader and failed that one .

LOL

Mitchy moo
06-07-2006, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't have a clue except reading yours and skoobs posts

Isn't this a personal attack, he is mentioning my name and I have made no post?

Michael82
06-07-2006, 11:31 AM
The team is loaded w/ TE's. Up next, we'll be trading one of the wr's. I hope that somewhere/somehow, there's a sucker who would trade for Sam Aiken.
You Aiken hater! :mad:

He's a decent player and damn good special teamer. IMO, he's our Steve Tasker or Mark Pike. We need him.

justasportsfan
06-07-2006, 11:59 AM
You Aiken hater! :mad:

He's a decent player and damn good special teamer. IMO, he's our Steve Tasker or Mark Pike. We need him.
I'm not an ST Aiken hater. but as a wr, he's done nothing. I wouldn't have a problem trading him for another player who can help us in other areas of the team. He can be replaced in ST.

Michael82
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm not an ST Aiken hater. but as a wr, he's done nothing. I wouldn't have a problem trading him for another player who can help us in other areas of the team. He can be replaced in ST.
He hasn't been given a chance at WR. I still think we'll see him look good in camp and preseason this year. :up:

Dozerdog
06-07-2006, 12:26 PM
They gave Aiken plenty of chances- especially when Moulds went out with the groin injury in 2004.

Aiken is a good STer, but we need good STers who are also productive elsewhere on the field

justasportsfan
06-07-2006, 12:45 PM
He hasn't been given a chance at WR. I still think we'll see him look good in camp and preseason this year. :up:He's had quite a few chances. He can't even make it as a no 3 wr. As crappy as Josh Reed has been at times, Aiken couldn't take his place. I'll take Wilson ahead of Aiken in the wr position.

mysticsoto
06-07-2006, 12:57 PM
He's had quite a few chances. He can't even make it as a no 3 wr. As crappy as Josh Reed has been at times, Aiken couldn't take his place. I'll take Wilson ahead of Aiken in the wr position.

I have to agree here. Aiken was given opportunity last year and didn't do much. Fact of the matter is he's just too slow to ever make it at the WR position. A CB can play 20 feet away from him and still catch up to him on a down pass to intercept the ball. If the CB misses, no big deal. Aiken will drop it.

Wilson has alot of heart and between him and Cieslak - who I also thought was pretty good last year, I'm starting to realize that not only was Mularkey a terrible coach, but he was also a terrible judge of talent...

bigbub2352
06-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Aiken is a bum and has been collecting a paycheck for making like 10 ST tackles a year, i was high on him when we drafted him because of his size, but he cant get open and i agree with previous posts, he has done nothing, ST can be replaced by rashard baker ko simpson aston youboty, give Wilson or Nance a shot cant do worse then 3 catches a season

ICE74129
06-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Isn't this a personal attack, he is mentioning my name and I have made no post?

Nope. You your posts suck from top to bottom. He said I would know about that and I said yes, from his and your POSTS.

Nighthawk
06-07-2006, 06:26 PM

It is funny though that some have mentioned the whole "character" issue of his DUI, etc, but have easily skooted that issue under the rug. I guess it just depends on what team does it.

You can't compare the Bills getting one guy with one incident with the Dolphins and the many bad character guys on that team. Also, the Dolphins seem to have more guys with repeat incidents, so I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Nighthawk
06-07-2006, 06:28 PM
you're gonna regret this one.

I know. :nervous:

GarnOFreak
06-08-2006, 10:02 AM
found a couple links about Courtney Watson(sorry if you've sen them already)

http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/watson_courtney01.html

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/playerbio.cfm?playerid=206

Saratoga Slim
06-08-2006, 11:00 AM

I think most people have more sympathy for a guy who gets hit with a DWI than for a guy who gets nailed with drug charges. fair or not, somehow a DUI doesn't stick as badly from the character angle.

Bert102176
06-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Watson is loaded with talent, just he didn't wanna be with the Saints and the Defensive scheme they were running didn't fit him where our cover 2 scheme does and the Saints had signed some FA LB's which left him expendable Also he wasn't a coach's favorite, but I believe he will be a help to our D not sure how much of help right now but having depth is always a good thing.