PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Easterbrook: Messing up your daggone top 10

G. Host
06-06-2006, 09:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/060502#stadiums
True, only Buffalo has a stadium named for its current owner. The new crowd of max-marketing owners such as Robert McNair and Daniel Snyder have a point when they note Wilson wants them to share the wealth in part so that he can keep his stadium named after himself; while if Snyder or McNair named their teams' fields after themselves, they would be accused of egotism. The point that can be made in Wilson's corner involves succession. Wilson may leave the team to his wife Mary, engaging no estate tax, or to his daughters, which would involve them borrowing to pay the estate tax. In either case, if the franchise stays in the family, Mary or the daughters would be deeply hesitant to move the team away from a stadium named for Ralph. Whereas if the place were named Call Now for Papa John's Spicy Buffalo Wings Stadium, there would be no sentimental attachment and new Bills management might say, "Los Angeles, here we come." Ralph Wilson choose the stadium name in part to increase the odds the Bills remain in Buffalo after his death, a point that isn't widely known.

Screw the fans who bad mouth Bills owner Ralph Wilson claiming they are Bills fans and cheering for Buffalo to move to LA (all the while their loyalty has changed to another team which may have appeared in Superbowl last few years) or Dallas/New England/Washington's owners scams.

G. Host
06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
More Gregg:
Tuesday Morning Quarterback has long been suspicious of cases in which two highly drafted players played similar positions on the same college team. The cake was taken when three of NC State's four defensive linemen went in the first 26 selections. NC State had a 6-5 record -- if its D-line was so fabulous, how come the team barely broke .500? Buffalo used the 26th overall choice on defensive tackle John McCargo, who lined up next to the top overall choice, Williams. Most likely Williams made McCargo look better than he is. Or maybe McCargo made Williams look better than he is: either way someone is in for disappointment.

I may not agree with him all of the time but he can sure write well! I wish the same could be said about a lot of the wannabe writers on some football sites and Buffalo News.

G. Host
06-06-2006, 10:01 PM
And more:

Buffalo: Since 1990, Buffalo has had 17 first-round draft picks; the team has used seven on defensive backs, versus five on linemen of all types. Buffalo seems addicted to drafting skinny guys: this may explain why the Bills were consistently blown off the ball on both sides of the line in 2005. Once again it was Skinny City on draft day as Buffalo went first for a safety, then used three of its first four selections on defensive backs. The Bills, having one of the league's worst offensive lines, ended 2005 with waiver-wire acquisitions starting at both offensive tackles -- yet signed no OT in the offseason and did not choose one in the draft until the fifth round. Eric Mangini, product of the New England success system, took over the Jets and at the top of the draft immediately went offensive line, offensive line. It's a winning formula. Endlessly drafting skinny guys who get clobbered because there is no one in the trenches is not a winning formula.

Our right tackle was not on any waiver wire. He was in a line which said "I'll work for food." In order to be on a waiver wire you need to be signed and waived.

Gunzlingr
06-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I thought he named it after Ralph Wilson, Sr. :idunno:

patmoran2006
06-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Did this writer mention the fact that we signed a new starting left guard and center via Free agency before the draft?

While I certainly understand what he's getting at (and a lot of what he says is right) what too many people are NOT understanding is that we have a new coaching staff and more importantly a NEW system in the Cover Two. If you're going to run that kind of defense you need the proper personnell. THAT is why we drafted Whitner. We drafted Youboty because Clements is a punk who wants out, and we drafted Simpson because he was a STEAL in round four, not too mention VIncent's future replacement.

Jesus, if you want to write an article on the Bills recent history that's fine.. But dont blast the draft in June

Stewie
06-07-2006, 09:46 AM
NC state was a .500 team with a top-5 defense.

D-Line was not the problem.

patmoran2006
06-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Paul.
I do get the writer's point.. Between Mario, Lawson and McCargo.. somebody made the others look better.

ICE74129
06-07-2006, 11:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/060502#stadiums
True, only Buffalo has a stadium named for its current owner. The new crowd of max-marketing owners such as Robert McNair and Daniel Snyder have a point when they note Wilson wants them to share the wealth in part so that he can keep his stadium named after himself; while if Snyder or McNair named their teams' fields after themselves, they would be accused of egotism. The point that can be made in Wilson's corner involves succession. Wilson may leave the team to his wife Mary, engaging no estate tax, or to his daughters, which would involve them borrowing to pay the estate tax. In either case, if the franchise stays in the family, Mary or the daughters would be deeply hesitant to move the team away from a stadium named for Ralph. Whereas if the place were named Call Now for Papa John's Spicy Buffalo Wings Stadium, there would be no sentimental attachment and new Bills management might say, "Los Angeles, here we come." Ralph Wilson choose the stadium name in part to increase the odds the Bills remain in Buffalo after his death, a point that isn't widely known.

Screw the fans who bad mouth Bills owner Ralph Wilson claiming they are Bills fans and cheering for Buffalo to move to LA (all the while their loyalty has changed to another team which may have appeared in Superbowl last few years) or Dallas/New England/Washington's owners scams.

And I will counter with **** ralph wilson. dont' like it tough ****. I can't stand the bastard. 'Oh but ICE he did blah blah blah'. All he has done is still attempt to circumvent ways to make more money and let his EGO run this team. 'But ICE its his team he can run it his way'. Yes he has and we suck.

The ONLY real time this team was worth a **** was when Polian was here. Polian is still haveing success, ralph isn't.

The sooner ralph is out of the picture, the sooner this team actually has a chance to contend for a superbowl again.

Screw the fans? No Screw Ralph.

ICE74129
06-07-2006, 11:04 AM
And more:

Buffalo: Since 1990, Buffalo has had 17 first-round draft picks; the team has used seven on defensive backs, versus five on linemen of all types. Buffalo seems addicted to drafting skinny guys: this may explain why the Bills were consistently blown off the ball on both sides of the line in 2005. Once again it was Skinny City on draft day as Buffalo went first for a safety, then used three of its first four selections on defensive backs. The Bills, having one of the league's worst offensive lines, ended 2005 with waiver-wire acquisitions starting at both offensive tackles -- yet signed no OT in the offseason and did not choose one in the draft until the fifth round. Eric Mangini, product of the New England success system, took over the Jets and at the top of the draft immediately went offensive line, offensive line. It's a winning formula. Endlessly drafting skinny guys who get clobbered because there is no one in the trenches is not a winning formula.

Our right tackle was not on any waiver wire. He was in a line which said "I'll work for food." In order to be on a waiver wire you need to be signed and waived.

I hate to tell ya the Jets nailed the draft and the Bills flunked it. When Schobel gets stonewalled by Dbrick and McCargo/ Tripplet gets owned by Mangold, then come back and talk to me about how good this draft was and how smart it was not to take Bunkley or Ngata.

socalfan
06-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I hate to tell ya the Jets nailed the draft and the Bills flunked it. When Schobel gets stonewalled by Dbrick and McCargo/ Tripplet gets owned by Mangold, then come back and talk to me about how good this draft was and how smart it was not to take Bunkley or Ngata.

When Bunkley and Ngata get owned by Mangold, what would you like us to come back and talk to you about?

Mitchy moo
06-07-2006, 03:05 PM
And I will counter with **** ralph wilson. dont' like it tough ****. I can't stand the bastard. 'Oh but ICE he did blah blah blah'. All he has done is still attempt to circumvent ways to make more money and let his EGO run this team. 'But ICE its his team he can run it his way'. Yes he has and we suck.

The ONLY real time this team was worth a **** was when Polian was here. Polian is still haveing success, ralph isn't.

The sooner ralph is out of the picture, the sooner this team actually has a chance to contend for a superbowl again.

Screw the fans? No Screw Ralph.

Huh, you sound like me here many months ago. Glad someone woke up but as usual I am months ahead of most and get negged for it. You call it stupid and then reality rears it's ugly head (like our draft). I never really called back to say I told you so.

ICE74129
06-07-2006, 03:29 PM
When Bunkley and Ngata get owned by Mangold, what would you like us to come back and talk to you about?

Who do you think has a better shot, Bunkley or McCargo against Mangold? Id rather take my chance with Ngata or Bunkley.

Look I am all for have a set system, find players that fit the system....with one HUGE Caviot. Make sure you don't pass up a superior athlete /Football player that can make some changes to fit the system. Ngata could drop to 320 or so and easilly made this system. hell 330lbs. Bunkley was a perfect fit.

Going for a safety while passing on superior talent on the DL was a HUGE mistake. Then we trade up for a rotational DT to boot. Bad move.

What happened was marv was going to follow 'x' plan regardless of who was there, that is BAD football management.

But then again marvs great downfall as a coach was his inability to make adjustments during the game. Many games lost because he couldn't or wouldn't do that. He just did the same thing with the draft.

ICE74129
06-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Huh, you sound like me here many months ago. Glad someone woke up but as usual I am months ahead of most and get negged for it. You call it stupid and then reality rears it's ugly head (like our draft). I never really called back to say I told you so.

You didn't tell me ****. I can't stand ralph wilson and never could. I don't care about he aledgedly kept the team here (yeah thanks to terror tactics with the fans and local politicians ie threatening to move), he is a cheap assed owner, and his history shows that unless he stays out of it (Polian era) the team isn't successful.

Stewie
06-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Paul.
I do get the writer's point.. Between Mario, Lawson and McCargo.. somebody made the others look better.

And the NFL players they play next to now will make them look even better.

My point is that it's worthless to bring the college record into it, since these guys were 2 out of 22 starters.

Jan Reimers
06-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I think that our skinny guys are going to be really good players, and that McCargo and Williams, along with Triplett and Anderson, will be better than many people think. And our O line with Reyes and Fowler - and perhaps Preston - will be much improved.

But we can argue this stuff to death, which we do daily. Only the season will tell.

socalfan
06-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalfan

Who do you think has a better shot, Bunkley or McCargo against Mangold? Id rather take my chance with Ngata or Bunkley.

Look I am all for have a set system, find players that fit the system....with one HUGE Caviot. Make sure you don't pass up a superior athlete /Football player that can make some changes to fit the system. Ngata could drop to 320 or so and easilly made this system. hell 330lbs. Bunkley was a perfect fit.

Going for a safety while passing on superior talent on the DL was a HUGE mistake. Then we trade up for a rotational DT to boot. Bad move.

What happened was marv was going to follow 'x' plan regardless of who was there, that is BAD football management.

But then again marvs great downfall as a coach was his inability to make adjustments during the game. Many games lost because he couldn't or wouldn't do that. He just did the same thing with the draft.

OK....but what would you like us to come back and talk to you about when Mangold owns Bunkley and Ngata?

patmoran2006
06-08-2006, 09:48 PM
And when Mangold ties up Bunkley and Coles gets 10 yards behind starting safety Coy Wire, then what?

ICE74129
06-08-2006, 09:54 PM
OK....but what would you like us to come back and talk to you about when Mangold owns Bunkley and Ngata?

Do they face him 2x per year to decide their division? And again, I can tell from your posting you dont comprehend very well the first time, I bet Bunkley and Ngata do well against him. That being vs McCargo