PDA

View Full Version : How to improve Hockey ratings

Bufftp
06-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Start the season in September, end it in febuary, playoffs over by end of April. It's a winter sport.

northernbillfan
06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Move basketball season.

When I was in Seattle a few people were discussing the best sport in the hotel lobby. I was aghast that they were only talking football, b-ball and baseball. When I mentioned hockey wasn't even mentioned they didn't care and a couple of the people involved in the conversation were from Vancouver.

Basketball runs parallel to hockey and it will never get the ratings that b-ball gets due to that fact.

In most of America the mentality is that there is three major sports and nothing else.

Michael82
06-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Start the season in September, end it in febuary, playoffs over by end of April. It's a winter sport.
Excellent Post! :bf1:

:10:

SabreEleven
06-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Basketball blows, I can't still through one game, people have been brain washed that that is a good sport.

lordofgun
06-08-2006, 12:27 AM
They should move hockey from OLN to Versus. That would definitely help.

ddaryl
06-08-2006, 01:39 AM

Hell yes.... Why bog down May and June competing against the NBA playoffs.

End the Season in Feb start the playoffs on mar 1 and have Mar - April for playoffs.

MTBillsFan
06-08-2006, 10:59 AM
More Network coverage. OLN isn't carried on regular cable. NBC, CBS and yes even ABC and ESPN need to carry games. Also, maybe an explination of rules between plays. I'm just throwin that out there.

MikeInRoch
06-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Strip cheerleaders.

SabreEleven
06-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Cut the number of games from 82 to 76

Bling
06-08-2006, 02:45 PM

Then it becomes Hockey vs. NFL, and they will get pwned by that as well.

JD
06-08-2006, 04:09 PM
TV Ratings yes.. Attendance in Buffalo? No. We would rather see a team that has a chance to win rather than a team that already lost the game before it started.

SabreEleven
06-08-2006, 04:25 PM

But when football if primarily on Sundays and Mondays, it won't be that big of a deal. Football starts a month before hockey anyways so it won't be that big of a deal.

SABuffalo786
06-08-2006, 11:58 PM
I really don't think ratings can be brought up that much, no matter what you do.

In terms of the USA, hockey's always going to be a strictly Northeast niche thing with pockets of success here and there.

ddaryl
06-09-2006, 03:28 AM

Not really because football is on sundays only.

hockey is 7 days a week. hockey already get over shadowed in the ealry portion of the year competing against the NFL, Baseball, and Baseball playoffs, and the NBA

the goal here is to give the NHL playoffs the spotlight without competition from the NBA, and to keep the NHL playoffs in a colder portion of the year in which people are more in tune with hockey. More attention on hockey during the playoffs should translate in re-newed inerest the following season.

hockey in May and June just isn't hockey season.

SkateZilla
06-09-2006, 05:41 AM
Enforcers Get a mandatory 5 Minutes of Ice time, and a free Beer in the penalty box after they fight..

Start the season early and play offs over by april actually sounds like a great idea...