PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: TD puts the ball in Prices court

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Bills | Price to Decide Own Future? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
8:28 PT: Associated Press reports the Buffalo Bills are letting WR Peerless Price decide his future with the team. Team president Tom Donahoe said if Price’s main objective in free agency is money, then he’s better off hitting the open market. However, Donahoe said the team is hopeful he’s looking at the big picture and everything the offense has to offer. Both sides have expressed an interest in remaining together. Price’s agent, Tim McGee, said he’s not optimistic of that happening at this time but he’s not ruling it out.

i like this move. he takes blame off of himself for all of those who are screaming resign price!.. now if price doesnt resign, TD can say, well.. he had the option, but he decided to go after all the money he could get his paws on, instead of trying to win a championship...

kinda funny i think..

still dont think it will work.. price is a me first guy... he is gone... unless he realizes that there are not alot of teams out there that can offer him that much money..

i was looking at that the other day.. the redskins and falcons are supposed to be the two biggest teams interested in him, but the falcons are having to resturcture and cut people just to sign Brookings..

and the redskins are gonna cut steven davis among others due to salary cap reasons.. dont tell me that they can just throw a 12 million dollar signing bonus at him.. i am truely starting to believe that he will not get anything close to what he thinks.. and he wont make as much as moulds for sure... rightfully so

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 12:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0214/1509183.html

this is from ESPN today.

Friday, February 14

Bills GM says he's not going to break the bank for Price

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- The Buffalo Bills warned Friday that they're not ready to ''break the bank'' to sign receiver Peerless Price.

Team president Tom Donahoe said it's ultimately up to Price, who is eligible to become a free agent in two weeks, whether he wants to stay in Buffalo.

''If his main objective is money, he's better off on the open market,'' Donahoe said. ''But we're hoping he's looking at the whole picture. This offense has a lot to offer.

''Peerless has to make up his own mind, what's important to him and what he places value on.''

Both sides said they would like to reach an agreement, but Price doesn't know how the Bills can afford to re-sign him to a long-term deal.

''I'm not optimistic at this time, quite honestly. But, you never know,'' Price's agent Tim McGee said. ''It may be unrealistic because it may not be cost-effective (for the Bills).''

McGee is seeking ''market value'' for Price, who established several career highs last season -- the final of a four-year contract. Price finished second on the Bills -- behind All-Pro Eric Moulds -- with 94 catches for 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns.

However, the Bills need salary-cap room to address other needs -- particularly on defense -- if they intend to build off of the 8-8 record of last season. And Moulds already is in the midst of a six-year, $40 million contract.

''We have more than one guy to sign. And we're not going to break the bank for one player,'' Donahoe said. ''As much as we like Peerless, we can't do that from a team standpoint.''

Donahoe hasn't ruled out using the team's transition or franchise player tag on Price. That decision would have to be made by the NFL deadline next Thursday.

The franchise tag would guarantee Price a one-year deal worth about $5 million, averaging out the salaries of the league's top five receivers.

The transition tag would guarantee Price a one-year deal worth about $4.5 million, averaging out the top-10 salaries. Under a transition tag, Price would be allowed to accept offers from other teams, with the Bills holding the right to match them.

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 12:32 PM
doesnt sound like TD is gonna spend the money on Spikes either to be honest.

Romes
02-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
doesnt sound like TD is gonna spend the money on Spikes either to be honest.

I disagree. I think he is making it sound like he wants to save up to get Spikes and then still have enough money to fill a few other holes. Although, you really cannot determine TD's intentions from those few remarks.

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 12:48 PM
'We have more than one guy to sign. And we're not going to break the bank for one player,'' Donahoe said. ''As much as we like Peerless, we can't do that from a team standpoint.''

read that again..

Romes
02-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Yeah, Tatonka that was the quote I was looking at. I guess you could interpret that your way. When I read it I thought it ment that he wasn't going to break the bank on Peerless because they have more than one hole to fill on defense. I think CP showed that even though Spikes will be expensive, we would still have some room (especially with the release of Reimersma).

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 12:56 PM
i think he is saying that this is a team, and we are not going to blow a ton of cash on one spot, when as a team, we have so many needs..

i mean.. specifically, he says they are not going to pay a lot of money (ie. break the bank) on ONE player...

that is the statement that makes me think that.. that one player is not going to get a ton of money..

of coarse this is just speculation as to what he means.. but i hope i am wrong.. i want spikes.

Romes
02-15-2003, 12:58 PM
On the other hand TD is using all the cliches in the book when it comes to an expensive player going into free agency. We heard all the same things last year with Sam Cowart and Rob Johnson. To me those words are just a round-about way of saying good-bye to Price.

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 12:58 PM
actually... i want claiborne and maslowski over spikes.. but i would take any combination of the three to be honest..

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 01:00 PM
your probably right.. i still dont know that TD has ever been willing to spend a ton of cash on any one guy... i think him signing moulds was a huge surprise, after seeing his track record...

we shall see.

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2003, 02:40 PM
I don't really like claiborne or masalowski. I wouldn't be happy with getting those two over the many other solid backers. I would be happy with Peterson, and Barber. Also regarding TD's comments I think IMO what he is saying is that he can't afford to have 2 wrs making huge money.

kgun12
02-15-2003, 02:49 PM
TD has never broken the bank on free agents. I look for us to get some help, I just think by the middle of March we will all be bit@hing about his lack of production. (Big Name Players). I think he will bring in quality people just not the ones we were hoping for. I hope I'm wrong, but be fore warned!

Mr. Miyagi
02-15-2003, 03:53 PM
I think TD is setting the guilt on Price. If Price leaves, he will only make himself look like a greedy bastard. All that "we won't spend a lot of money on one single player" crap is just an excuse. Look at the gigantic contract we inherited for Drew. Look at the huge deal we gave to Moulds. TD will spend the money if he wants to. Right now he's just using a tactic to tone down Price's ego. Eventually he'll give Price a respectable way out, like a nice contract but not a huge one. Everyone will be happy then.

Price had a breakout year last year. And he owes it all to our offense. He will not do as well as the #1 guy somewhere else. Just look at his numbers pre-Drew. Nowhere near where they are now. His agent is trying to cash in on his breakout year, but anyone can see that he's not worth as much as he's asking when you take him out of our offense.

My prediction: Price will agree to stay and gets a decent contract equivalent to a top 20 WR money. Nothing more.

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 04:17 PM
drew at 5 mill a year is a bargain.. that is not breaking the bank,. we really didnt inherit a huge contract for him..

and moulds deal is tiny for his caliber.. he turned down more money to stay.. his contract doesnt look like moss though.

and i wouldnt be happy with barber or peterson.. so i guess we just have different opinions on the LBs we want thurm

ArcticWildMan
02-15-2003, 04:21 PM
TD has shown he will spend money on proven talent. While Moulds, and Drew and even Fletcher don't have monster contracts, they are anything but cheap.

Price will have to be willing to accept around 3 mil a season or he'll be gone. TD will not spend top dollar on him when Josh Reed has shown he can play and speed receivers are a dime a dozen.

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 04:29 PM
drew, moulds, and fletcher are all cheap compaired to their peers..

moulds is way underpaid compaired to moss

drew is way underpaid compaired to farve

fletcher is way underpaid compaired to alot of people who have his numbers.

TD looks for bargains.. that is what they are.

ArcticWildMan
02-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Bledsoe gets pricey next year. He has a rather large salary and a roster bonus then.

DraftBoy
02-15-2003, 07:41 PM
I still dont understand the whole price ego thing, where do you all pull this from? He has said nothing in the press that as of yet has been the slightest but arrogant to me. I think hes a team player he'll porbably sign for about 3.5-4 territory.

TedMock
02-16-2003, 08:04 AM
I agree. He's arrogant and a trash talker but he's stated that he wants to stay in Buffalo but he's also stated he'd like to be number one. I can't argue with a guy for that. Having Moulds and Bledsoe obviously helped him but if he feels like he could be number one elsewhere there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like he's saying he should be number one here and stirring up controversy. He gets along with his team and supported them on the field this year. If he stays, great! If he takes an opportunity for advancement to number one and 1.5-2 million more in salary, I can't say I blame him. That's not selfish at all in my opinion.

Tatonka
02-16-2003, 12:03 PM
good points, tedmock

Earthquake Enyart
02-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Bye bye Peerless.

I don't think Spikes is a realistic option anyway. Anybody notice how bad our ST's were? I'd rather have TD sign 4 average LB's than one Spikes.

Ebenezer
02-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Bledsoe gets pricey next year. He has a rather large salary and a roster bonus then.

Not true...he is $5.5 mil in 2003 and $6.0 mil in 2004...then there is an option bonus in 2005 that kicks in the final 5 years of the contract. That bonus (and CP can fill in the details I am sure) is a one time hit. If it were amatorized that would be even better.

Drew's Base Salary:
2003 $5.5
2004 $6
2005 $6
2006 $6
2007 $6.5
2008 $7.5

...after that is he well over $10 a year but he won't play that long anyway...with Seattle picking up Hasselback's $5 million option for 2003 and another $5.5 for 2004 Drew is a bargain.

Tatonka
02-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Not true...he is $5.5 mil in 2003 and $6.0 mil in 2004...then there is an option bonus in 2005 that kicks in the final 5 years of the contract. That bonus (and CP can fill in the details I am sure) is a one time hit. If it were amatorized that would be even better.

Drew's Base Salary:
2003 $5.5
2004 $6
2005 $6
2006 $6
2007 $6.5
2008 $7.5

...after that is he well over $10 a year but he won't play that long anyway...with Seattle picking up Hasselback's $5 million option for 2003 and another $5.5 for 2004 Drew is a bargain.

yeah.. what he said :chat:

Captain gameboy
02-17-2003, 06:44 PM
I think he's history as a Bill.
Further, I think he has an NBA player's attitude in an NFL uniform. I think he'll get his sought after top five contract this year, but I'm not so sure the team that pays it will look at him as a value move in three years.

Voltron
02-19-2003, 12:51 PM
The one person that pisses me off the most with this whole thing is Price's Agent. He is a :madcurse:ing :madcurse:hole!!!!!!

I think Price was all about staying in Buffalo and his greedy A$$ agent has warped him.

:cynic:

Earthquake Enyart
02-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Be glad Scott Boras doesn't do football. He is the true scum of the earth.

Voltron
02-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Good Point EE

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 01:00 PM
Who is Scott Boras?

Voltron
02-19-2003, 01:30 PM
He is a baseball agent who is known for always having hold outs and just an all around jerk.