PDA

View Full Version : Dont Think Watson has any "Character" issues...

bigbub2352
06-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Since the trade happened a couple of days ago i have read and heard comments about Watson's Character but after reading into it quoted from Chris Brown on Buffalobills.com I think we should definetly think twice about him giving the teams any problems

"Watson is a tough one to figure. High draft pick, promising rookie season, then disappointing sophomore season marred by injury and an off the field incident. He was an excellent citizen while at Notre Dame. Heck he won the American Football Coaches Association Good Works Award for being so heavily involved in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">South Bend</st1:place></st1:City> community while playing for the Irish.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
He set up a couple of community initiatives involving youth and the local Food Bank. You’ve got to believe the Bills heavily investigated his character qualities."

This makes me think that we got a hell of a player for a do nothing TE who is injury prone..

Jan Reimers
06-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I think everyone deserves to make at least one mistake in their lives, and to be given a chance to show that they have learned from it. If one DWI at 24 or 25 years old is the worst thing that Watson ever does - and he becomes a good citizen and a good player in Buffalo - I'll be very happy.

bigbub2352
06-08-2006, 12:18 PM
I couldnt tell u how many i should of had before the age of 21, so people need not look into DUI, as a charachter issue in my opinion, anybody could get one, even cops so give the guy a shot gotta love that he is from Notre Dame

ICE74129
06-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Well lets see, He isn't knocking up women, He isn't smoking pot, He is at the OTA and not on NFLN...

I don't have an issue with one stupid traffic gig. As young as he is, he hasn't even touched his potential yet. He could be a good one for us.

LtBillsFan66
06-08-2006, 12:40 PM
How many baby mommas does he have?

Pride
06-08-2006, 01:37 PM
That's just great! We are now rationalizing DUI charges against a player!

IMO, anyone busted for DUI should permanently lose their license and spend 1 year in jail! Chances are, that was the first time he drove drunk.... its just the first time he got caught!

On top of that... had he hit someone and/or killed a child... you'd all be looking for the death penalty!

Don't rationalize his MAJOR **** up simply because he plays football!

justasportsfan
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
I couldnt tell u how many i should of had before the age of 21, so people need not look into DUI, as a charachter issue in my opinion, anybody could get one, even cops so give the guy a shot gotta love that he is from Notre Dame

you should get the chair.

billsburgh
06-08-2006, 02:58 PM

IMO, anyone busted for DUI should permanently lose their license and spend 1 year in jail! Chances are, that was the first time he drove drunk.... its just the first time he got caught!

On top of that... had he hit someone and/or killed a child... you'd all be looking for the death penalty!

:bf1:
hopefully he has learned his lesson from this and it wont be a problem again. Pride is right, what if he had hit and killed someone. Leonard Little anyone?

chernobylwraiths
06-09-2006, 06:01 AM
While I think losing a license for a year AND a year in jail is a little extreme, I don't by any means think any person should get off with nothing for this. First time offense, lose your license for a year and a fine. THEN the penalties should go up from there.

If he was a model citizen before the mishap and he did that many community things, then he deserves the benefit of the doubt that it was a bad mistake and move on. Still should lose his license for a year but move on.

Shasta McNasty
06-09-2006, 07:59 AM

your such a model citizen.

Pride
06-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Never said that. It would be different if he got busted for something that didn't/couldn't cause potential harm to someone else... but the dude was DRIVING under the influence! Imagine if your wife and kids happened to be traveling in the opposite direction and passed him... he's drunk and crosses the center lane and kills them both!

IMO, DUI is as bad as running around with a loaded shotgun threatening to kill people! Sure, he didn't pull the trigger... but it still shows TERRIBLE judgement and should not be forgiven!

And to further emphasize my point as to how big of a problem this is... There were 16,694 alcohol-related fatalities in 2004 – 39 percent of the total traffic fatalities for the year.

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html

bigbub2352
06-09-2006, 08:22 AM
I am in no way saying DUI or DWI is ok, but u can get a DUI after on having a couple of beers and at 250lbs u are not drunk and completely fine, I do agree with everything u are saying Pride, but another real problem out there is the fact that there are alot of people out there all high on perscription drugs and the hard stuff like crack that are driving around to, I again am not disrepecting your comments and I agree, In my younger years I would have Argued but not anymore, The point being it was a DUI and he has done alot for the community work, before and after this incident so I dont think he will be a problem for the team is what i am trying to say...

1959BillsFan
06-10-2006, 07:58 PM
I don't condone the action, BUT let's look at the situational context:
1) He is fresh out of college in a new city making lots of money.
2) He is in New Orleans, basically, a HUGE PARTY town
3) New Orleans is NOT known for its football mentality. Mardi Gra yes, football, nope.
4) South Bend IS a FOOTBALL town.
5) He did show POSITIVE characteristics in South Bend.

Basically, it sounds like Watson WANTS to be in a FOOTBALL town. Being in a Party Town brought some challenges, but he wants to get back to his roots and Buffalo, having that real football mentality, could very well be that place.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2006, 09:17 AM
I don't condone the action, BUT let's look at the situational context:
1) He is fresh out of college in a new city making lots of money.
2) He is in New Orleans, basically, a HUGE PARTY town
3) New Orleans is NOT known for its football mentality. Mardi Gra yes, football, nope.
4) South Bend IS a FOOTBALL town.
5) He did show POSITIVE characteristics in South Bend.

Basically, it sounds like Watson WANTS to be in a FOOTBALL town. Being in a Party Town brought some challenges, but he wants to get back to his roots and Buffalo, having that real football mentality, could very well be that place.
I agree, and I'm very reluctant to crucify a young person and throw him under the bus for life because of one misdeed - albeit a serious one. I'm more than willing to give the kid a chance and see what he makes of it.

And I'm not a bleeding heart liberal by any means. I'm just a husband and dad who has made many mistakes, and seen my family make them, but I know we're all human, and therefore far from perfect.

HHURRICANE
06-11-2006, 09:59 AM

Although I understand the tremendous danger of drinking and driving and it's impact on society I think your opinion is a little extreme. I don't know about you but I have a hard time believing that no one here has never not driven a car with a beer or two in them. I act much differentlt now than I did when I was in my 20's. I think the kid is a good pickup and won't be a character issue which was the original point of the post.

!Papacrunk!
06-11-2006, 10:08 AM
lol, good thread, good stuff

ublinkwescore
06-11-2006, 12:26 PM

I drive a little buzzed from time to time, but I never get into my car if I can't walk normal.

You can be a little buzzed, and still be good to drive - just not legally - in california, if your BAC is over .08 (which isn't much if I'm not mistaken - I think that would be like the equivalent to 2 - maybe 3 beers for me which wouldn't even result in a buzz unless I've got nothing in my stomach - after three beers, I'll start to feel it, and that's when I've just begun to drink) - nevermind the fact that you've still got excellent control of your self both mentally and physically - you're still getting a DUI. - it's these damn groups like MADD that have managed to get these overly strict guidelines for laws enacted.

I'm not exactly condoning drinking and driving, I'm just saying, that lawmakers should always try to find the spirit of the law before they put something on the books - you can have a buzz, and still be safe behind a wheel - they should find out at which BAC you start to lose control of your body, and have trouble staying focused, and then make the legal BAC like 2 or 3 tenths below it.

ublinkwescore
06-11-2006, 12:34 PM
But that being said, allow me to clear something up - some people can't control their alcohol - or should I say can't handle it. Cops LEGALLY have to have a reason to pull you over - so maybe he was swerving, one of his turn signals weren't working, or his tags were expired - who knows, - we don't know his BAC - so as long as your car is registered, and all your lights are working, you shouldn't have anything to worry about if you're driving a little buzzed - as long as you can handle being a little buzzed.

When I'm absolutely $#!tfaced, I will crash at where ever I was drinking, or throw my keys in the trunk and sleep in my car - if you have your keys in your car with you, you can still get a DUI - that's BS.