PDA

View Full Version : Possible Replacement for Prioleau

Romes
02-15-2003, 01:55 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/15/sports/football/15JETS.html

The Jets have decided to release free safety Damien Robinson on Thursday, according to a person with knowledge of the team's plans. Robinson's departure was not unexpected. He was brought in by Coach Herman Edwards two years ago to help smooth the transition to a Tampa Bay style of defense. His release will conclude a tenure marked by struggles on and off the field.

I know people have questioned Prioleau's ability to play FS. Robinson might be an improvement over Priouleau. I don't know its the off-season I'm just trying to throw out possible topics.

:stupid:

ArcticWildMan
02-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Move Wire to free safety, have Winfield move to strong safety, bump Kevin Thomas to starting CB to take Winfields old place and draft/sign a FA for a nickel back.

Romes
02-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Move Wire to free safety, have Winfield move to strong safety, bump Kevin Thomas to starting CB to take Winfields old place and draft/sign a FA for a nickel back.

Or we could draft/sign a FA FS and not have to move anyone around and learn a new position. I also don't think Wire would be any good at FS. He struggled too much in pass coverage. His strength is playing the run.

Jeff 311
02-15-2003, 02:02 PM
why would we move Wire to Free saftey, he will get more confused in pass coverage. He is a storng saftey because the "46" likes big SS that come up and play like linebacker. Plus Winfeld ( yes hits had) would not be a good SS in the system. I say Tony Driver ( if he can stay helathy) will take over for PP at FS next year.

ArcticWildMan
02-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Winfield would be better than Driver ever could be. IMO, Winfield just isn't that good a cover guy at CB. He has hands of stone and his height is a libality. His coverage ability is average. His strong point is his tackling and hitting. He hits like a truck and that is exactly what we need at safety.

4thAndLong
02-15-2003, 02:48 PM
The few i saw of Robinson this year, he looked great...Every game I watched he atleast got 1 INT, he would help us create more turnovers, something this defense desperately needs.

casdhf
02-15-2003, 03:08 PM
There's no way you take the teams best Corner and make him a safety. Corners only go to safety when they're too slow, Gary Baxter, or washed up, Rod Woodson. Winfield isn't slow nor i he washed up.

shelby
02-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Leave Coy at SS!!! He was a rookie, for :angry:'s sake, of course he is going to struggle. He can tackle, he has shown us that already. He will be much improved next season.

ArcticWildMan
02-15-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm not knocking Coy. I think he's going to be one hell of a player for us. I just think that we have too big a hole at FS with Prileau to not explore other options.

MissBuffalo
02-15-2003, 03:38 PM
His release will conclude a tenure marked by struggles on and off the field.

We don't need someone whose going to bring "off field" struggles to the team. IMO they should've played Jenkins more. The few games they threw him in, one being Miami I believe, he really stepped up. He played on two Super Bowl teams in this type of D. With that said though, I think Coy will really bring it next season. He's going to be really good.

Tatonka
02-15-2003, 04:23 PM
look.. this guy robinson is the one who Turley nearly beheaded after that dirty play on arron brooks.. and this is also the same guy who was arrested for bringing an AK47 submachinegun to the STADIUM!.. and i think this was right after 9/11...

i remember thinking what a tool this guy was.. i would puke if we brought him in... if he was that good, the jets would be keeping him.. it is not like he makes tons of money.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-15-2003, 04:40 PM
didnt the Bills extend Prilouaes contract?

ublinkwescore
02-15-2003, 05:33 PM
I think so Silent one - I can't remember for sure, but I do think I heard something like that

ArcticWildMan
02-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Yes they did. It wasn't for very much and I don't think it had a large signing bonus. I'm sure Clump has the info

TigerJ
02-15-2003, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't switch guys around. I think it's tougher to find a great corner than a great safety. That's why so few safeties are drafted in round 1. That's also why average salaries are lower for safeties. There will be free agents around whether Robinson is the one or not. There are also some good FSs in the draft that can be had on day two.

Ingtar33
02-16-2003, 02:28 AM
Listen... even I, who acknowledges Wire's development as a cover guy, isn't about to put him into the FS role... we need a Mark Kelso type of guy... who can play good center field... Wire, while improved... is still at heart a SS, and will never be as good a cover guy as most FS in this league.

mush69
02-16-2003, 06:12 AM
If we were to go for a FA I say bring Donovan Darius. The guy is a monster in the middle and has good cover capabilities.

don137
02-16-2003, 06:13 AM
AWM I understand where you are coming from regarding Winfield moving over to safety since he is a hard hitter and has hands of stone but I feel despite thid he is best suited for DB. Plus Winfield is in the last year of his contract and would feel he was demoted if he was moved to safety. If he was put over to safety he would go somewhere else next year to play DB.

shadowfax
02-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Prileau will make a great FS backup. Spend the money and sign Kwame Lassiter. He wants out of Az badly.

Tatonka
02-16-2003, 11:42 AM
darious is a SS i believe... and fired his agent for telling him that he would not be able to get 4-5 million a year as a free agent.

tebucky jones is the best FS available. he was the fastest in the patriots secondary, with very good cover skills... he is young and plays special teams like a champ.. that may even be his biggest asset, the special teams play.

Tatonka
02-16-2003, 11:43 AM
and lassiter is being moved back to corner, due to his poor play at safety... which he never wanted to play anyway.

EDS
02-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Winfield is far and away the Bills best cover corner. Opposing QB's rarely throw to his side. So what if he has hands of stone. Consistently solid coverage is alot more valuable than a couple INTs. No way should he be moved to safety. The suggestion above that Winfield and Wire be moved around would severely weaken what right now is the strength of the Bills defense. I am fine with Thomas as the 3rd corner, but I don't think we should be shifting things around for him just yet.

JefftheBillsfan
02-16-2003, 05:05 PM
I would love to see us make a run at Tebucky Jones. Robinson always seemed a little dirty to me and could never back it up with play. But that could just be me. As far as winfield to SS? No way that would ever happen. Wire at FS? He is solid in run support, but is in no stretch of the imagination a FS IMO. Neither is Priloue though. If we dont bring someone else in, I would be satisfied with a Driver/Priloue competition with Wire staying put at SS.

The Natrix
02-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
I would be satisfied with a Driver/Priloue competition

Me to, if it means getting two solid OLBs and a solid DT. If these three needs can be met through FA or FA/draft and there is still money to be spent, I think a replacement for Priouleou is the next piece that needs to be added. It would be nice to have a SS and a FS who can both cover and stop the run/tackle. For most teams however this is usually asking to much. The next best thing would to have a good cover FS and a good running stuffing/tackling SS. Priouluoe was horrendous in coverage, IMO. It would be nice to have a solid cover FS to complement Wire's characteristics. Although I doubt it will happen, if Buffalo can fill every critical need minus FS via FAcy, I would like to see a FS selected with the second round pick.

Bert102176
02-16-2003, 08:31 PM
how about the guy that said he is not gonna re-sighn with the Steelers.

justasportsfan
02-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by shelby
Leave Coy at SS!!! He was a rookie, for :angry:'s sake, of course he is going to struggle. He can tackle, he has shown us that already. He will be much improved next season.

Sorry Shelby, Tony Gonzalez made Coy Wire look like Flutie trying to high five Yao Ming.

Jeff 311
02-16-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
how about the guy that said he is not gonna re-sighn with the Steelers.

That is Lee FLowers, he is a strong saftey. Steelers fans are complaing he is to slow and old. Similar to our complains about Eddie Robonsin. I say Keep Wire at saftey, and let driver/p.p battle for f.s and use our cap room on the front 7.

Bert102176
02-16-2003, 10:48 PM
ok Jeff ty