X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

End the QB Controversy

I don't understand the lack of intelligence regarding the QB situation. Holcomb is a career backup for a reason. It's not like other teams haven't seen him play in the NFL for the last 10 years. He is not a starting QB.

Why would you start Holcomb? Even if he was marginally successful we are not a playoff team. The following year, he will be older, and he will still be average at best.

JP Losman has had 8 games to prove his worthiness. 8 games! We traded a pick to draft him in the 1st round. Every draft board had him ranked as the 4th QB in the draft and that's where we took him. This guy doesn't suck. Had he waited a year he may have been the #1 QB coming out.

Everyone's goal is simple. To win a SB!! I'm not saying Losman is or isn't the answer but let's find out!! I know Holcomb is not!!
  • gil
    • Mar 2005

Re: End the QB Controversy

I think *for what we have as far as our QB's* that Marv & Co. are doing the right thing in not naming a favorite at this point. Maybe they are leaning towards JP as it would seem to offer the most upside, but they are dead set against handing JP anything.

Maybe they want to put that fear into him that he didn't have last year - as crappy as he played, the kid is obviously a competitor and a hard worker and having this "open competition" may really light a fire under his butt.

At least that's what I'm hoping - now excuse me, I have to poor a tall glass of Marv-flavored vodka kool-aid.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

I am okay with the open competition if it is purely designed to not hand the job to Losman. But if the job gets handed to Holcomb i am going to be super peed off!!

Comment

• gil
        • Mar 2005

I think, as far as divining the intentions of our "braintrust", maybe we could look to the signing of Nall for some hints. They signed a QB with an above average to "big" arm - Marv knows what it takes for a QB to be successful playing in WNY and Jauron the same with similar weather in Chicago - here's hoping they realize Holcomb just doesn't have the physical tools we need - especially down the stretch.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
          Everyone's goal is simple. To win a SB!!
          Amazingly, this is not true. There are MANY people (including several I bet we could find on this board) who would rather win more games NEXT year than try to build a team to make a serious SB run.
          "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
            Amazingly, this is not true. There are MANY people (including several I bet we could find on this board) who would rather win more games NEXT year than try to build a team to make a serious SB run.
            You have to keep it in the context of last years team Mike.

If we were say...10-6 last year, then yea, you load up for bear, and try to make a run. Unfortunately, this team has way too many holes to fill, and one offseason isn't going to cure all their ills.

Levy's good, but he's no miracle worker. There's no way we contend this year.

This is what I think happens this year:

1. QB issue gets settled.
            2. Win 7 or 8 games.
            3. Defense gets re-solidified.
            4. O line gels.

A close friend of mine was takling to Takeo a couple weeks ago. He said he's in the best shape of his life, that the draft was superb, and that the D will be a force this year. He said the biggest question mark is the O Line. He said if they come together, the team could be very strong. If not...

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I don't understand the lack of intelligence regarding the QB situation. Holcomb is a career backup for a reason. It's not like other teams haven't seen him play in the NFL for the last 10 years. He is not a starting QB.

Why would you start Holcomb? Even if he was marginally successful we are not a playoff team. The following year, he will be older, and he will still be average at best.

JP Losman has had 8 games to prove his worthiness. 8 games! We traded a pick to draft him in the 1st round. Every draft board had him ranked as the 4th QB in the draft and that's where we took him. This guy doesn't suck. Had he waited a year he may have been the #1 QB coming out.

Everyone's goal is simple. To win a SB!! I'm not saying Losman is or isn't the answer but let's find out!! I know Holcomb is not!!
              I totally agree, HH. Almost every great QB has been given time - sometimes 2 or 3 seasons - to develop. I don't understand why so many people are down on Losman after only 8 starts, and want to start a mediocre journeyman like Holcomb.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• John Doe
                Florida Man
                • Jul 2002

The QB controversy will end when a clear cut winner takes the job. Jauron is not going to "hand" it to Losman or Holcomb.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  I totally agree, HH. Almost every great QB has been given time - sometimes 2 or 3 seasons - to develop. I don't understand why so many people are down on Losman after only 8 starts, and want to start a mediocre journeyman like Holcomb.
                  There are too many fickle Bills fans who aren't patient enough to wait for a young QB to be groomed. It doesn't matter how bad our roster is. They would rather let a 10 year vet who is a proven loser go out and throw 2 more TD passes and call him successful and still miss the playoffs then wait for a QB to be groomed.

I remember reading some articles when we drafted Losman that there were many Bills fans who were too fickle to wait for a young QB to be groomed. That article was dead on. We are seeing it now.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by John Doe
                    The QB controversy will end when a clear cut winner takes the job. Jauron is not going to "hand" it to Losman or Holcomb.
                    If Holcomb is the "clear cut winner" it will only be because of his experience and/or JP's inconsistency. But we have no future with Holcomb. When will people understand what is so obvious?

We need to let JP play in order to know whether he will be the man, or whether we need to acquire another QB. Holcomb is not the answer, either short or long term.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

I think the team is saying the QB position is wide open however IMO it is really a 2 person competition with Holcomb being the odd man out unless Nall and JP really stink up the place. If they stink up the place Holcomb would take the position by default. They just don't want to say that publically.

Comment

• John Doe
                        Florida Man
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        If Holcomb is the "clear cut winner" it will only be because of his experience and/or JP's inconsistency. But we have no future with Holcomb. When will people understand what is so obvious?

We need to let JP play in order to know whether he will be the man, or whether we need to acquire another QB. Holcomb is not the answer, either short or long term.
                        If Holcomb wins the job then so be it. It means that he gives us the best chance to win. It does not mean that Losman cannot claim it in the future. Kitna beat out Palmer for the Bengals, then Palmer took the job away from him.

The most important thing for the team is to establish a culture of winning, not to see if Losman is "the man." The only way to establish that mind set is to start the players who have earned it.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

They start Holcomb because he won the QB competition in camp. Every team in the NFL week 1 will have the same record 0-0. To say the Bills are going nowhere next year when the season hasn't already started is asinine. Teams shouldn't start tanking the season or play for the future in WEEK 1.

Realistically, without JP Blinders on, this season and last season should start like this..... Holcomb named starter, if the Bills play good and are winning games then Holcomb remains starter, but by week 5 or 6 it becomes obvious that the Bills are not going to be making the playoffs then they switch QBs and put JP or Nall in.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by don137
                            I think the team is saying the QB position is wide open however IMO it is really a 2 person competition with Holcomb being the odd man out unless Nall and JP really stink up the place. If they stink up the place Holcomb would take the position by default. They just don't want to say that publically.
                            I hope your right. I can't stomach the idea of wasting valuable playing time on Holcomb. I'd rather lose with Losman behind center and figure out if we have a future with this kid or not. Drew Brees is a perfect exmple of why you let young QB's play.

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

I hope your right. I can't stomach the idea of wasting valuable playing time on Holcomb. I'd rather lose with Losman behind center and figure out if we have a future with this kid or not. Drew Brees is a perfect exmple of why you let young QB's play.
                              I would rather start winning as soon as possible. If you set your team up as a training ground for QBs then you ****** the development of the rest of your offensive personnel.

Start winning and develop the offense as a whole. Then, when your young QB is ready to take the reins, he steps into a situation where he has the best chance to succeed.

It is possible that Losman is ready this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X