PDA

View Full Version : My full Bills Off-Season Evaluation

patmoran2006
06-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Ladies & Gents:
Working on an article, where I'm evaluating the off-seasons for all 32 NFL teams. I thought I'd share with you my thoughts on the Buffalo Bills

Thoughts?

8. Buffalo Bills

How Buffalo Improved: From the top of the organization onto the field,
the Buffalo Bills are doing everything feasible to make 2005's gloomy
5-11 season as well as the Tom Donahoe era ancient history. Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy is back, this time as the general manager. New head coach Dick Jauron was brought in as well as a new offensive (Steve Fairchild) and defensive coordinator (Perry Fewell). The Bills are converting to a cover two defense and look to get more athletic all around. Defensive tackle Larry Tripplett (Colts) should mold very well into the new scheme. The offensive line has been a sore point for several seasons so center Melvin Fowler (Vikings) and guard Tutan Reyes (Panthers) hope in improve the interior.
Robert Royal (Redskins) is an excellent run blocking tight end. Peerless Price, who caught 94 passes with the Bills in 2002 was brought back and the club signed speedy but oft-injured receiver Andre Davis. Anthony Thomas is an upgrade as a back up running back to Willis McGahee.

Why Buffalo Is Worse Off: Despite his advanced age and poor attitude
with the Bills last year, it will be exceptionally hard to replace the
production Eric Moulds has given the Bills over the past 10 seasons.
Moulds fled to Houston and takes 70-80 receptions along with him. Sam
Adams was the club's only proven run stuffer and was cut, allowing him
to sign with Cincinnati. Lawyer Milloy (Atlanta) has clearly lost a
step at safety, but he is still a big-time hitter capable of turning a
game around with a big play. The club gave up on 2002 fourth overall
pick Mike Williams, allowing the underachieving tackle to sign with
Jacksonville. A fresh start my jumpstart his rapidly bust-like career.

Fresh Meat: To quote Chris Berman, the Bills threw some curve balls on
draft day. Everyone and their mother expected the Bills to take a
defensive tackle or trade down with the eight pick, so it was a shock
when the club selected safety Donte Whitner. Though many mock experts
considered him a reach in the top ten, Whitner is an ideal cover two
safety who'll remind many of Milloy during his days with the Patriots.
Buffalo then traded up to No. 26 in the first round to take defensive
tackle John McCargo. Again, many measure the pick a reach but Buffalo is
desperate for quick linemen. Interestingly, McCargo was the third
tackle taken in the first round and the fourth wasn't taken until 32
picks later. Cornerback Ashton Youboty was a steal in round three and
could start by 2007 once Nate Clements leaves for free agency. Ko
Simpson could be a gem in round four. He'll get the advantage of
learning from savvy veteran safety Troy Vincent.

Summary: The Bills pretty much stunk in 2005 and you can expect more of
the same this season. The difference is the team has gotten a lot
younger and flexible (as well as cheaper) across the board. It will take
beyond 2006 but the Bills are feverishly working to build a team that
can consistently contend in the AFC East. On a team that still has a
lot of holes, none are bigger than the quarterback position. J.P.
Losman was a first round pick in 2004 but it seems questionable if he will
win the job from journeyman Kelly Holcomb. The signing of quarterback
Craig Nall is baffling to many, not to mention the $1.3 million signing
bonus. Even with the imminent return of determined Pro Bowl linebacker
Takeo Spikes, expect the Bills to be major players in the Brady Quinn
sweepstakes.

patmoran2006
06-10-2006, 01:27 PM
I would've added Watson to the piece had he been traded before I was done with this.

Mitchy moo
06-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Ladies & Gents:
Working on an article, where I'm evaluating the off-seasons for all 32 NFL teams. I thought I'd share with you my thoughts on the Buffalo Bills

Thoughts?

8. Buffalo Bills

How Buffalo Improved: From the top of the organization onto the field,
the Buffalo Bills are doing everything feasible to make 2005's gloomy
5-11 season as well as the Tom Donahoe era ancient history. Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy is back, this time as the general manager. New head coach Dick Jauron was brought in as well as a new offensive (Steve Fairchild) and defensive coordinator (Perry Fewell). The Bills are converting to a cover two defense and look to get more athletic all around. Defensive tackle Larry Tripplett (Colts) should mold very well into the new scheme. The offensive line has been a sore point for several seasons so center Melvin Fowler (Vikings) and guard Tutan Reyes (Panthers) hope in improve the interior.
Robert Royal (Redskins) is an excellent run blocking tight end. Peerless Price, who caught 94 passes with the Bills in 2002 was brought back and the club signed speedy but oft-injured receiver Andre Davis. Anthony Thomas is an upgrade as a back up running back to Willis McGahee.

Why Buffalo Is Worse Off: Despite his advanced age and poor attitude
with the Bills last year, it will be exceptionally hard to replace the
production Eric Moulds has given the Bills over the past 10 seasons.
Moulds fled to Houston and takes 70-80 receptions along with him. Sam
Adams was the club's only proven run stuffer and was cut, allowing him
to sign with Cincinnati. Lawyer Milloy (Atlanta) has clearly lost a
step at safety, but he is still a big-time hitter capable of turning a
game around with a big play. The club gave up on 2002 fourth overall
pick Mike Williams, allowing the underachieving tackle to sign with
Jacksonville. A fresh start my jumpstart his rapidly bust-like career.

Fresh Meat: To quote Chris Berman, the Bills threw some curve balls on
draft day. Everyone and their mother expected the Bills to take a
defensive tackle or trade down with the eight pick, so it was a shock
when the club selected safety Donte Whitner. Though many mock experts
considered him a reach in the top ten, Whitner is an ideal cover two
safety who'll remind many of Milloy during his days with the Patriots.
Buffalo then traded up to No. 26 in the first round to take defensive
tackle John McCargo. Again, many measure the pick a reach but Buffalo is
desperate for quick linemen. Interestingly, McCargo was the third
tackle taken in the first round and the fourth wasn't taken until 32
picks later. Cornerback Ashton Youboty was a steal in round three and
could start by 2007 once Nate Clements leaves for free agency. Ko
Simpson could be a gem in round four. He'll get the advantage of
learning from savvy veteran safety Troy Vincent.

Summary: The Bills pretty much stunk in 2005 and you can expect more of
the same this season. The difference is the team has gotten a lot
younger and flexible (as well as cheaper) across the board. It will take
beyond 2006 but the Bills are feverishly working to build a team that
can consistently contend in the AFC East. On a team that still has a
lot of holes, none are bigger than the quarterback position. J.P.
Losman was a first round pick in 2004 but seems unlikely to be able to
win the job from journeyman Kelly Holcomb. The signing of quarterback
Craig Nall is baffling to many, not to mention the $1.3 million signing
bonus. Even with the imminent return of determined Pro Bowl linebacker
Takeo Spikes, expect the Bills to be major players in the Brady Quinn
sweepstakes.

UR not playing w/ a full deck. 8th? Brother we are like 28th at best.

patmoran2006
06-10-2006, 01:42 PM
IN terms of OFF-season improvements, Skooby..

patmoran2006
06-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I'd really like to hear the board's opinon on this.
Way off base? Somewhat accurate?

Philagape
06-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Why is it unlikely that JP will beat out Holcomb? If that's your opinion, fine, but you should explain why.

patmoran2006
06-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Let me start by saying on the record. I hope that doesn't happen. While I'm not a fan of JP Losman to this point, I do think he deserves at least a fair opportunity to show he's a legit starting quarterback, and that would consist of getting a season to start.

Now why do I think Holcomb will start? Maybe it's just a hunch. There are a few factors that lead my to this.
* I think most of the vets want him to start, and think they have the best chance to win with him starting.

* Marv and Jauron really think this is a team that can win now. I think THEY think the offense will flow better and more safely with Holcomb.

*Not that marv SHOULD have anything to do with the starting QB, that should be 100% Jauron's call, I'm not sure Levy is a losman fan.

I hope that Losman is the starter, we all know what Holcomb can do, and that's not much. At this point, just my gut telling me Holcomb will be starting.

patmoran2006
06-10-2006, 09:33 PM
And i just changed the line in the summary from "unlikely" to questionable, because this is about the entire team and the off-season and this discussion will quickly turn into the 10,000th JP vs Holcomb thread otherwise... I'm talking about discussing a GENERAL overview of the off season.

Dr. Lecter
06-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Nice article Pat.

I too, am not as down on the off-season as some people.

Philagape
06-10-2006, 09:48 PM
And i just changed the line in the summary from "unlikely" to questionable, because this is about the entire team and the off-season and this discussion will quickly turn into the 10,000th JP vs Holcomb thread otherwise... I'm talking about discussing a GENERAL overview of the off season.

:up:

I wasn't looking for a debate, but I'm a professional copy editor :D

patmoran2006
06-10-2006, 09:51 PM
:up:

I wasn't looking for a debate, but I'm a professional copy editor :D
Cool.. I'd like for you to be a professional arm-chair quarterback for a few minutes and tell me what you think of the off-season in general.

Philagape
06-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Cool.. I'd like to you be a professional arm-chair quarterback for a few minutes and tell me what you think of the off-season in general.

That'll have to wait, I'm at work

Dr. Lecter
06-10-2006, 10:04 PM
A couple of things:

Kyle Williams was a steal too. He is worth a mention.
Brady Quinn sweepstakes? A pet peeve of mine, but it way too early to annoint him the jewel of the next draft.

Dozerdog
06-11-2006, 11:20 AM
I think the QB position is wide open.

It's not "questionable" 'improbable" or "Unlikely" JP can't or won't win the starting job.

Only the media has interpereted that Holcomb has the job already locked up.

It's an open competition, and it looks like JP is actually beginning to get the hang of things.

Dozerdog
06-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I also think keeping Sam Adams in a defense that he's not suited for would have made the Bills "worse off"

I think the Bills did not give up on Mike Williams, more like they gave up on his insane contract. If he was making Bennie Anderson money he would still be here.

DraftBoy
06-11-2006, 11:30 AM
I like the article think its well written and to be honest even being a ND fan I dont want us to take Quinn. Much rather have us take Calvin Johnson (should he declare) and then go QB in rd 2 or 3 with the likes of Chris Leak being availble. Likely I see this as KH and JP's last season unless JP wows this team, and I dont think he will because I dont think he'll get a shot. This year imo is a transition year and Nall is the starter next season with a rookie behind him to learn for a couple of years unless he wows us. But thats just my opinion, no factual statement to back it up.

G. Host
06-11-2006, 11:38 AM
My comments:
1. No offseason discussion of getting Peerless Price should be said without stating he was a washout if not bust after a big trade deal in Atlanta
2. Sam Adams was a run disrupter not a run stopper
3. Like OL players in Cleveland who went to Denver, Mike Williams appears to need a change of scenery to determine if he is a bust. He had several terrible OL coaches, started to show promise and had a life crisis and an injury resulting him be supplanted by a coach's pet project

Jan Reimers
06-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I think it's premature to talk about the "Brady Quinn Sweepstakes" when we have no idea how good Losman can be. Also, we got rid of older, declining players with bad attitudes in Moulds, Adams and Milloy, so I think of it as addition by subtraction.

Through the draft, FA, and UDFAs, we not only got younger and more flexible, but faster, hungrier, more motivated and deeper at several positions.

I think we are poised to win within a couple of years, IF we can get the QB situation resolved.

Mitchy moo
06-11-2006, 11:54 AM
We have a bunch of very fast receivers but in relative terms they are all green. Having a guy like Peerless around to show them how to do things and help bring them along will be great. Eric showed Peerless how to Ball, not it's his turn to show our boys. I think that he will be a great asset to our team. Nice Job Marv

ublinkwescore
06-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Lee Evans is no longer "Green".

Lee Evans will have a breakout year - IF Losman is under Center, and for the OL to protect Losman - IF the OL Gels early, and Losman starts, I truely wouldn't be surprised to see us win 9-10 games this year, but that is a lot of IFs.

I think our D will be back in top 10 form by week 5.

justasportsfan
06-11-2006, 01:40 PM
worst off -The team is in a rebuilding mode. Historyshows rebuilding teams aren't successful in their first year.

better off- the GM that hasn't won anything during his tenure is gone. So are his staff. Granted that Jauron wasn't the successful coach in Chicaog, he still had experience over the ones that TD hired in the past.

I think GM and coaching staff are part of offseason moves.

patmoran2006
06-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Fair enough.

Good comments guys.

Keep in mind I wasn't quite in-depth on certain things as I'd like to be. I have to do the same for all 32 teams, not just the Bills and I can't have a document that's 12,000 words.

Also, I at least attempt to look at it from a league-wide perspective and not just what each team's fans think of the moves.

Good comments though.