PDA

View Full Version : Competition is making Losman better...

Tatonka
06-10-2006, 01:41 PM
INSIDE DISH: Some people in the organization believe QB J.P. Losman has benefited from having to win the starting job instead of having it handed to him like last year. The team is pleased to see him respond to the challenge of trying to beat out Kelly Holcomb and Craig Nall. Losman is working much harder, throwing the ball with accuracy and has shown more maturity than he displayed last season. His decision making still needs to be more consistent, but he could win the starting job in training camp if he continues to improve and finds a comfort zone in the new offense.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/bills/index.html

billsburgh
06-10-2006, 02:05 PM
that's good news. here's something to think about. what if both qbs look about the same in the rest of the minicamps and in to trainging camp, neither one really stands above the other, who should get the nod?

Ed
06-10-2006, 02:19 PM
that's good news. here's something to think about. what if both qbs look about the same in the rest of the minicamps and in to trainging camp, neither one really stands above the other, who should get the nod?
If all things are equal, I don't know how you could justify not going with Losman.

acehole
06-10-2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/bills/index.html

Have said all that in the inside dish.....

I think the plan might be as long as Loseman is not the starter he will work his ass off to get better...I feel like by 2nd preseason game they will say....no one stands out that differently ...all thing being equal JP would have the edge and be the starter after that point.

After all out of the 3 he remains the one with the most upside.

Win win the way I see it. If he stinks real bad....we get a good draft position and the jury will no longer be out. If he gets steadly better...we gave him valuble playing time for 2007. One more good draft and FA period...we will be playoff bound.

IMHO.

Tatonka
06-10-2006, 02:23 PM
oh my god.. that sig is incredible. i will be back in a minute.

im4bflo
06-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I havn't seen all 4 QB's play yet, and I definitely give the nod to Losman over Holcomb, so right now, as far as I'm concerned, JP's our QB.
GO JP!

billsburgh
06-10-2006, 02:34 PM
If all things are equal, I don't know how you could justify not going with Losman.
my thought exactly. With Holcomb, you know what he offers and it's not likely he will get much better. With JP, he still has alot of room to improve and the far better upside.

Mr. Cynical
06-10-2006, 02:39 PM
oh my god.. that sig is incredible. i will be back in a minute.

Not if Aidan beats you too it...I can see the way he's looking at that sig. Lunch Time!!!! :lol:

BillsFever21
06-10-2006, 02:42 PM
[URL="http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/bills/index.html"]http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/bills/index.html[/URL

Have said all that in the inside dish.....

I think the plan might be as long as Loseman is not the starter he will work his ass off to get better...I feel like by 2nd preseason game they will say....no one stands out that differently ...all thing being equal JP would have the edge and be the starter after that point.

After all out of the 3 he remains the one with the most upside.

Win win the way I see it. If he stinks real bad....we get a good draft position and the jury will no longer be out. If he gets steadly better...we gave him valuble playing time for 2007. One more good draft and FA period...we will be playoff bound.

IMHO.

Hopefully they let you keep that sig. :hump:

Philagape
06-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Losman haters ----> :ignore: he sucks he sucks he sucks he sucks he sucks

acehole
06-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Losman haters ----> :ignore: he sucks he sucks he sucks he sucks he sucks

Sorry about the booby sig.....was it over the top?

Sorry....

ublinkwescore
06-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Not if Aidan beats you too it...I can see the way he's looking at that sig. Lunch Time!!!! :lol:

I'm guessing I missed out on seeing an incredible rack...:(

Michael82
06-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry about the booby sig.....was it over the top?

Sorry....
no problem. Yeah it was a little over the top. If she was wearing a top, it would have been better. But her being topless like that makes it not very family friendly or safe for work. :up:

im4bflo
06-10-2006, 03:53 PM
no nips, kind of like she was wearing something!

ublinkwescore
06-10-2006, 03:53 PM
so is it true that Losman finally got a haircut?

ublinkwescore
06-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Bring it back - for little ol' me!

YardRat
06-10-2006, 03:55 PM
All things being equal, I would go with Losman, also.

But I'd have a quick hook if he starts sucking during the games :D

ParanoidAndroid
06-10-2006, 04:54 PM

Hmmm...That's tough again because we don't expect him to be great right off the bat. If he sucks right away, but shows at least some improvement then we should stick with him. I think that lesson has been learned. If he shows inconsistency and a tendency to revert back to old, rookie-type mistakes when we hit mid-season, then I guess we have to consider that he might not be the guy.

im4bflo
06-10-2006, 05:02 PM

That's why he couldn't improve last year, if he didn't play perfect, they yanked him.
The way we played last year, they should of left him in, and now he'd have a years experience, instead of being pretty much in the same place.
We'd know for sure, if he was our guy right now, instead of still not knowing.
One guy wasn't going to save that season, they should of stuck with him.

jamze132
06-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Let the kid play and prove to us one way or the other whether or not he can play in this league or not.

The Natrix
06-11-2006, 03:27 AM
I hope he wins the job. I won't be all that excited on opening day if the coaches think Holcomb is the best QB on the roster.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2006, 07:44 AM

That was the problem last year with Moolarkey. You have to bite the bullet, take your lumps, and let the kid play. If he's no better in the 16th game than the opener, then you reevaluate.

QBs need time to develop in this league. If you have no patience with a young QB, you should just acquire veterans, and never draft one.

YardRat
06-11-2006, 08:17 AM
That was the problem last year with Moolarkey. You have to bite the bullet, take your lumps, and let the kid play. If he's no better in the 16th game than the opener, then you reevaluate.

QBs need time to develop in this league. If you have no patience with a young QB, you should just acquire veterans, and never draft one.

And yet I contend that lack of patience is exactly what happened last year with JP. They threw him into the fire too soon...anointed him the starter before he was ready...didn't let him develop enough before handing over the reins of the team.

Rushing a player's development and putting him in a situation he's not capable of handling is just as, if not more so, detrimental than "impeding his progress" by not inserting him into the starter's role on Sundays.

acehole
06-11-2006, 08:41 AM
quote=YardRat]And yet I contend that lack of patience is exactly what happened last year with JP. They threw him into the fire too soon...anointed him the starter before he was ready...didn't let him develop enough before handing over the reins of the team.
Rushing a player's development and putting him in a situation he's not capable of handling is just as, if not more so, detrimental than "impeding his progress" by not inserting him into the starter's role on Sundays.[/quote]

Exactamondo!

Look at the Philip Rivers situation. Handled perfectly. Allready a line and a running game....long time to learn the playbooks....learn behind a "good" qb...asked to be a game manager and not a savior...IE Big ben as well.

JP is worth salvaging....

Jan Reimers
06-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I don't totally disagree, but this is JP's 3rd year, and it's time to let him sink or swim. Particularly when we don't have a star in front of him - and we're fairly young and rebuilding, besides.

YardRat
06-11-2006, 09:17 AM
If he can't swim any better than Holcomb or Nall in the kiddie pool, then he doesn't belong in the deep end just because he's young and has potential. The entire team will drown with him...again.

justasportsfan
06-11-2006, 09:28 AM
If he can't swim any better than Holcomb or Nall in the kiddie pool, then he doesn't belong in the deep end just because he's young and has potential. The entire team will drown with him...again.Unlike last year where the team and fans expected to make playoffs after all these years under TD, I don't think anyone thinks we will this year.

It's okay in my books now to throw JP in there and get the experience necesary to move forward. If he drags the team down with him, we know what we have at that position and draft the franchise qb next year. We know this team isn't going anywhere w/ Holcomb, we won't know with JP sitting on the bench.

We all saw JP improve last year after his benching. At least we know the kid has the ability to learn. Since most of theposters here don't expect even a winning season, it's time we see which players we keep for the future and which ones we should get rid of. That's what rebuilding teams usually do.

HHURRICANE
06-11-2006, 09:29 AM
That's why he couldn't improve last year, if he didn't play perfect, they yanked him.
The way we played last year, they should of left him in, and now he'd have a years experience, instead of being pretty much in the same place.
We'd know for sure, if he was our guy right now, instead of still not knowing.
One guy wasn't going to save that season, they should of stuck with him.

You get it!!!

HHURRICANE
06-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Unlike last year where the team and fans expected to make playoffs after all these years under TD, I don't think anyone thinks we will this year.

It's okay in my books now to throw JP in there and get the experience necesary to move forward. If he drags the team down with him, we know what we have at that position and draft the franchise qb next year. We know this team isn't going anywhere w/ Holcomb, we won't know with JP sitting on the bench.

I'm going to church tonight. We actually agree on the same subject!! I've finally converted you!!

John Doe
06-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Since most of theposters here don't expect even a winning season, it's time we see which players we keep for the future and which ones we should get rid of. That's what rebuilding teams usually do.

It's not what "most of the posters" expect that counts. It's what the players and coaches expect. None of them have given up on this season, and rightfully so.

ICE74129
06-11-2006, 10:08 AM

Ah another person not knowing how to develop a QB...not a suprise. NO you do NOT have a quick hook. In fact you don't have one at all, regardless of how he plays.

If a QB thinks a few mistakes gets him benched, he sucks and will never develop. He has to know no matter what he is the QB. You undermine his authority as a leader with the team as well.

ICE74129
06-11-2006, 10:10 AM
And yet I contend that lack of patience is exactly what happened last year with JP. They threw him into the fire too soon...anointed him the starter before he was ready...didn't let him develop enough before handing over the reins of the team.

Rushing a player's development and putting him in a situation he's not capable of handling is just as, if not more so, detrimental than "impeding his progress" by not inserting him into the starter's role on Sundays.

How do you develop on the bench? You don't. Watch all the film you want, Practice all you want. It means **** when it comes to game time at a young age. PLAYING is the ONLY true development out there.

They must start him and let him have all 16 games regardless of his play. Like another poster pointed out, its win win for the Bills.

The_Philster
06-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Look at the Philip Rivers situation. Handled perfectly. Allready a line and a running game....long time to learn the playbooks....learn behind a "good" qb...asked to be a game manager and not a savior...IE Big ben as well.

JP is worth salvaging....
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/RivePh00.htm
Going by what he's done so far, I don't know if you could say it was handled perfectly. He'll likely struggle early on...and for his sake, Marty had better not pull a Mularkey and bench him in favor of a mediocre backup like was done in Buffalo...A.J. Feeley? :eek:

acehole
06-11-2006, 02:00 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/RivePh00.htm
Going by what he's done so far, I don't know if you could say it was handled perfectly. He'll likely struggle early on...and for his sake, Marty had better not pull a Mularkey and bench him in favor of a mediocre backup like was done in Buffalo...A.J. Feeley? :eek:

Yes but everyone will know what they got after this year if he is in there...and early indications are that he is doing well.....my point was just that he has been giving a great situation as a young QB...if he fails under these circumstances it would be hard to make many excuses for his play....

Chargers | Rivers sharp in workouts
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:23:04 -0700
Casey Pearce, of Chargers.com, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/31/nfl">San Diego Chargers QB Philip Rivers (http://www.kffl.com/player/9411/nfl) was impressive again during workouts Saturday, June 10. During morning workouts, he only saw a few of his passes hit the ground.

The_Philster
06-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Rob Johnson was impressive during practices as well.... Until the player sees live game action..in the regular season when things are stepped up a few notches over oreseason, he hasn't show much of anything yet.

YardRat
06-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Ah another person not knowing how to develop a QB...not a suprise. NO you do NOT have a quick hook. In fact you don't have one at all, regardless of how he plays.

If a QB thinks a few mistakes gets him benched, he sucks and will never develop. He has to know no matter what he is the QB. You undermine his authority as a leader with the team as well.

Sorry, ICE...didn't realize your real name was Bill Walsh. Or Sam Wyche. Just how many QB's have you developed at the pro level?

Mistakes happen, and I'm not insinuating that JP should be benched after every one. But if he consistently sucks, and his performance is hurting the team, then you bench him.

Leadership has to be earned, not handed to you. Just like the starting job.

Bottom line for me...the team is more important than the individual, and you play the guys who give the team the best chance of winning as a unit, or improving as a unit. Putting a player in, especially at QB, that ******s their
overall development in exchange for his personal development is detrimental to the team...whether it be in the present or in the future.