PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher and Drew Rosenhaus

McGahee420
06-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Fletch just recently fired his old agent and is now with Drew Rosenhaus. He wants an extension and thinks he deserves it. I hope this doesnt mean that he is going to hold out if they dont get one done.:crap:

Fletcher Gets New Agent: In anticipation of impending free agency, London Fletcher has switched agents. He has brought in heavyweight agent Drew Rosenhaus. Fletcher feels he has earned a contract extension from the Bills and would like to stay in Buffalo. Rosenhaus says he has a good relationship with the organization and they are talking about an extension. Fletcher is due to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

www.billsdaily.com (http://www.billsdaily.com)

Night Train
06-12-2006, 07:48 AM
And the Bills make a quick trade for Courtney Watson.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

justasportsfan
06-12-2006, 07:51 AM
NO wonder why he missed OTA's. Rosenass+contract year = disaster.

ICE74129
06-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Lets see...rosenhaus has Willis and Fletcher. Both = no show at the OTA's and doing their own thing.

Seems to me maybe Marv needs to have a come to jesus meeting with Drew and let him know if his athletes, current or future, wants to get paid by, and remain Bills, they need to get their asses here to work with the team.

Personally? I say don't draft or sign another rosenhaus player period.

Dont drink the water
06-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Wasn't that TE we traded a Drew Rosenass product as well?

Fletcher HAS been to camp unlike the Me of Miami product so I am hoping it is not related. I know Fletcher will go full bore this year, contract extension or no contract extension, unlike Willis.

ryjam282
06-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Lets see...rosenhaus has Willis and Fletcher. Both = no show at the OTA's and doing their own thing.
Your griping on this matter is so very tired. Just get over it. Willis is in South Florida working out with the "U" and there already CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED workout program. When are you going to understand that he isn't doing his "own thing". He will report to camp in great shape as all of the guys down there do. I bet no one is giving Reggie Wayne crap for signing his big contract and not showing up to his camp. He will be fine, as will Willis.

Fletcher, I seriously doubt a guy of his stature is not working out. He has always gotten the short end of the stick in his career and has always worked his butt off to show people that shorter MLB's can make a statement. So, all of a sudden, in a contract year no less, he is going to slack off in the offseason and not come to optional workouts and just sit at home and do nothing right?

If that's what you think, Deleted for TOS violation, as is anyone else who really believes that someone past the age of 30 who has done nothing but perform while he was a Bill would take his contract year to be the year he sits home and eats bon-bons.

Find something else to ***** about cause this one is pretty tired.

ICE74129
06-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Your griping on this matter is so very tired. Just get over it. Willis is in South Florida working out with the "U" and there already CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED workout program. When are you going to understand that he isn't doing his "own thing". He will report to camp in great shape as all of the guys down there do. I bet no one is giving Reggie Wayne crap for signing his big contract and not showing up to his camp. He will be fine, as will Willis.

Fletcher, I seriously doubt a guy of his stature is not working out. He has always gotten the short end of the stick in his career and has always worked his butt off to show people that shorter MLB's can make a statement. So, all of a sudden, in a contract year no less, he is going to slack off in the offseason and not come to optional workouts and just sit at home and do nothing right?

If that's what you think, your a ****** my friend, as is anyone else who really believes that someone past the age of 30 who has done nothing but perform while he was a Bill would take his contract year to be the year he sits home and eats bon-bons.

First off I'm not ******ed and your post is a TOS violation. Second 'Tha U's rep for offseason workout is NOT that impressive. Now you may be in love with THA U or some crap like that, but I know for FACT Willis came back in WORSE shape than the year before after being down there.

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 08:49 AM

If that's what you think, your a ****** my friend, as is anyone else who really believes that someone past the age of 30 who has done nothing but perform while he was a Bill would take his contract year to be the year he sits home and eats bon-bons.

The Bills are installing a new offense. McGahee is one of the keys, if not THE key, to the offense. But he chooses to party in Miami.

Let's do a little Course II logic, shall we. If McGahee gave a ****, he would be at the OTA. McGahee is not at the OTA.

Therefore, he doesn't give a ****.

McGahee's a great athlete with a bad attitude. He only helps the team insomuch as he can help himself at the same time.

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 08:50 AM
I hope they're trying to find a way to phase out Fletcher and McGahee. Rosenhaus is a pure dirtbag and I would love to see the Bills (and every other NFL team) refuse to deal with him.

ICE74129
06-12-2006, 08:51 AM
The Bills are installing a new offense. McGahee is one of the keys, if not THE key, to the offense. But he chooses to party in Miami.

Let's do a little Course II logic, shall we. If McGahee gave a ****, he would be at the OTA. McGahee is not at the OTA.

McGahee's a great athlete with a bad attitude. He only helps the team insomuch as he can help himself at the same time.

I disagree on one point. Willis is an average to above average talent. His NAME, where he played, the knee injury, his agent etc, have over hyped this guy. He had ONE good season at Miami on a great TEAM. So far this guy can't block, catch and sure as hell can't run unless the hole is big enough for a truck to run through.

ICE74129
06-12-2006, 08:52 AM
I hope they're trying to find a way to phase out Fletcher and McGahee. Rosenhaus is a pure dirtbag and I would love to see the Bills (and every other NFL team) refuse to deal with him.

They have started doing it with the poston brothers. I would love for owners to flat tell this guy 'No thanks'. Then his clients wise up and dump his arse.

ryjam282
06-12-2006, 08:54 AM
I didn't say your were ******ed. I simply implied that you, or anyone that believes those things, could very well be of a lesser aptitude then normal people.

Secondly, there rep is quite impressive. Google it if you must, the training that they are put through there is more rigorous then any of the OTA's that they are "skipping". I am a fan of the "U" and that is not blinding me to the fact that of all the players that miss the OTA's and attend the camp down there you never hear of them being worse off then they would have been had they attended there respectable OTA's.

And, if this is such a big deal league wide, why isn't it reported on a regular basis? You never see it on ESPN or the news cause it isn't a big deal. You never once heard the Colts complain about Edge missing all of his OTA's. He showed up to camp and did very well. Same with Shockey, Wayne, and countless others. And, if you think by Willis having a somewhat down year last year (although1247 yards behind that line is quite an achievement IMO) is a result of him missing the OTA's then my statement in my previous post might be dead on.

ICE74129
06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
If that's what you think, your a ****** my friend

I believe your statement was clear cut

ryjam282
06-12-2006, 08:56 AM

I guess Shockey, Portis, Edge, Wayne, etc must all not give a crap either...

PS, Edge missed his OTA's when he is learning a new offense on a completely new team...What a dirtbag huh, how does he sleep at night?

ryjam282
06-12-2006, 08:58 AM

If your going to QUOTE something, do it right, follow the statement all the way to the period, which signifies the end of a thought....Again, proving my point. I appreciate it.

justasportsfan
06-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Willis was looking to get more involved in the passing game under Fairchild's system. He's not gonna get it by staying in Miami.

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 09:03 AM
I guess Shockey, Portis, Edge, Wayne, etc must all not give a crap either...

PS, Edge missed his OTA's when he is learning a new offense on a completely new team...What a dirtbag huh, how does he sleep at night?

Well Edge should be there too to help his new team. Believe me, it will show early in the season, especially for both him and McGahee.

What is it with these Miami guys not committing to their teams? Certainly McGahee and Portis have underperformed lately, and Shockey had a good season last year but on the whole he's overrated. If these guys committed to be part of their teams, they could be great instead of having hype that doesn't match their on-field performance.

But instead, they go down to Miami where they're treated like gods and basically function above the law. And we're supposed to believe they're "working out". I bet there's a couple of strippers in Miami who are walking funny right now that would tell you something different.

justasportsfan
06-12-2006, 09:07 AM
But instead, they go down to Miami where they're treated like gods and basically function above the law. And we're supposed to believe they're "working out". I bet there's a couple of strippers in Miami who are walking funny right now that would tell you something different.
you have a wealthy friend too?

Captain Obvious
06-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Willis came back in WORSE shape than the year before after being down there.

Agreed. Willis was slower and fatter in 2005 than 2004. Willis should have attended the OTAs instead of working out and partying with his ex Hurricane temmates in South Beach as this approach did not work last year.

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 09:08 AM
you have a wealthy friend too?

well he was wealthy before he went to that strip club....

justasportsfan
06-12-2006, 09:10 AM
well he was wealthy before he went to that strip club....so he isn't credible then

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
One other thing: why is it that only Miami guys act like they still play for Miami after they go to the NFL?

Pick any other top D1 school- Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St, LSU, even Florida and FSU- the players don't act like that.

These Miami guys act like they're God's gift to football and it's irritating.

jmb1099
06-12-2006, 09:23 AM
To be fair, WM is a very talented back and talent can bail you out at times, but not all the time. Not when you have a rehabbed knee that is still a concern. Not when your offense is learning a new system that you are a key factor in. I don't care how hard he is studying the playbook on his own, nothing can replace on field instruction and experience. He may honestly be deceiving himself thinking that he'll be ok, or he just may be too selfhish to care. So what if he comes back in great physical shape if he doesn't know his assingments or gel with his teamates. I don't hate WM or anyone else on the team, but with a performance like last years, nobody should be missing any structured team training.

jmb1099
06-12-2006, 09:26 AM
IMHO Fletcher has been one of those guys who plays 100% all the time. It is sad that he felt the need to grab a dirt bag like DR to represent him. It isn't coincidence that Fletch hasn't been showing up, this is classic DR, I hope it doesn't get worse but I'm not holding my breath.

ryjam282
06-12-2006, 09:44 AM
One other thing: why is it that only Miami guys act like they still play for Miami after they go to the NFL?

Pick any other top D1 school- Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St, LSU, even Florida and FSU- the players don't act like that.

I am not saying I agree with what they do, I truly would love for Willis to be there and know the in's and out's of the new offense but what they do down there is quite good when it comes to working out. There have been quite a few news stories on the workouts they go through and how demanding it is. I am sure this will all be an afterthought come training camp.

IMHO Fletcher has been one of those guys who plays 100% all the time. It is sad that he felt the need to grab a dirt bag like DR to represent him. It isn't coincidence that Fletch hasn't been showing up, this is classic DR, I hope it doesn't get worse but I'm not holding my breath.

Fletcher is at that point in his career where it is very touch and go. He has performed superbly the last few years for us and all for very small compensation comparitively. Rosendouche gets results for his athletes and I am sure that is why Fletcher went to him. He wants big dollars for the last few years of his career and I don't blame him for going to someone who generally gets that for his guys. I have DR but you can't knock what he has done for his guys, he is very bad for the NFL but also very good for his players.

ICE74129
06-12-2006, 11:00 AM

Nor do you see the guys from the team Athlon has rated as the #1 team in college this year, OU, going back there either. Sorry OP you can't mention top 5 teams let alone top 10 over the last 7 years or so with out OU being in there.

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Fletcher is worth a new contract and has been a great player, along with being a great leader for us over the years. He is one of my favorite players.

The key to this extension is that with Fletcher's age he doesn't fall into the long-term plans for our team though.

If we were an already established contender without a viable replacement for him then I would be all for showing him the money. With the status of this team right now being in a rebuilding mode, along with having many needs and other young core players that will be FA's or due extensions if we want to keep them, then signing Fletcher to a big contract doesn't help this team with it's rebuilding process.

Fletcher has a couple good years left and is worth an extension. The deciding factor with him is that if our plan works out, this team will be turning the corner with a possibility of the rebuilding project being finished in 2-3 years.

What I mean by finished is a legit chance of going deep into the playoffs. Not just fighting for a playoff spot and/or losing in the first round.

By that time Fletcher will have lost another step and would no longer be worth that money, so he wouldn't benefit our team in the grand scheme of things.

The best option is to find a young and cheaper replacement(hopefully Watson) that would still be going strong when/if the rebuilding process is successful and we have a shot at making a run for it.

Also, until that point the money that would be going to Fletcher would be more important to help keep our young core around for that possible run and/or using that money to shore up many other needs that would also be around and going strong in 3 years.

ICE74129
06-12-2006, 11:47 AM
BF21 but is fletcher worth what he and rosenhous thinks he's worth? My thoughts would be no.

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 11:57 AM
BF21 but is fletcher worth what he and rosenhous thinks he's worth? My thoughts would be no.

There isn't anyway to comment on that until we knew what they were asking. We don't so there isn't any reason in going there.

Like I said above, if this was an established team ready to make a run for it then he would be worth the money(unless it was a mega payday) Since this team isn't anywhere close to a deep run for at least 2-3 years, then he isn't worth any type of a raise.

For an already good team who needs a proven veteran MLB to make their defense better, he will be worth the money and will get it from somebody. The Bills' team situation just doesn't fit giving him the money.

justasportsfan
06-12-2006, 12:04 PM
the guy deserves an extension, give him a backloaded one.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
The thing that hurts Fletcher's bargaining power is he just passed 30. You don't often see 30-something LB pulling down big contracts very often.

I like Fletcher as a player, and he is a great fit in a tampa-2 scheme which features fast, undersized MLB that are expected to chase the ball and make lots of tackles.

justasportsfan
06-12-2006, 12:09 PM
The thing that hurts Fletcher's bargaining power is he just passed 30. You don't often see 30-something LB pulling down big contracts very often.

I like Fletcher as a player, and he is a great fit in a tampa-2 scheme which features fast, undersized MLB that are expected to chase the ball and make lots of tackles.
thing is, if reports are right, he's asking an extension. Not a huge payday. He's just watching out for his future and I don't blame him. Of all the players that TD brought in, he deserves it the most. Whether the team was good or bad, he always played 100% and didn't complain.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
...I am a fan of the "U" and that is not blinding me to the fact that of all the players that miss the OTA's and attend the camp down there you never hear of them being worse off then they would have been had they attended there respectable OTA's.

And, if this is such a big deal league wide, why isn't it reported on a regular basis? You never see it on ESPN or the news cause it isn't a big deal. You never once heard the Colts complain about Edge missing all of his OTA's. He showed up to camp and did very well. Same with Shockey, Wayne, and countless others. And, if you think by Willis having a somewhat down year last year (although1247 yards behind that line is quite an achievement IMO) is a result of him missing the OTA's then my statement in my previous post might be dead on.

Obviously you have not been paying attention to reports about Shockey and James. Denny Green has let it be known this spring that he is unhappy that Edge has not shown up regularly for the Cards' OTAs (I believe the report said he may have attended one) and the last two off seasons, Tom Coughlin of the Giants went close to ballistic in the NYC area press about Shockey not coming in for the OTAs and offseason workout program to work with Eli Manning. It was a huge issue in the area press, especially last preseason, when, ultimately, Eli Manning had to go down to Miami to talk to and work out with Shockey. There have been reports out of Jax, that Del Rio is seriously ticked off that Fred Taylor has skipped their OTAs to work out there, too.

So, yes, this IS an issue around the league. The Miami workout program is exceptionally good, but the teams want their players participating in their own programs with the players that they are playing with now on their teams to not only familiarize themselves with the team's systems, but also to build comraderie with their present teammates. It's not just an matter of the quality of the workouts, it is more an issue of team-building for the NFL squads--the guys who are in Miami can not be a part of building positive team chemistry on their professional team, the team that is paying them, if they are working out with their old buddies down in Miami.

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 12:22 PM
the guy deserves an extension, give him a backloaded one.

The guy wants to be paid and make some money. Why would a 30 year old LB sign a huge backloaded contract for money he will never see? He wants guranteed money now. He only has a few more years left to cash in. He's not gonna sign for money he will never see.

Some people act like these players and agents are stupid. Whenever somebody wants his payday tons of people say "just backload the contract"

The players are looking for upfront money and how much they are guranteed to make over the first couple years. The fancy numbers that get broadcasted on ESPN doesn't mean anything. It's how much they will make in the first 2 or 3 years of the contract that means something.

What good does say a 5yr-30 million dollar contract do for you if 23 million of it is backloaded into the last 3 years of the contract? A player(especially at his age) is gonna want a good 10-15 million guranteed over the first couple years.

The Spaz
06-12-2006, 09:08 PM
The guys hasn't been to the mini-camps because his mom was very ill and she died earlier this week.

The Spaz
06-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Guess nobody need to owe an apology for bashing Fletcher for not attending the mini-camps and OTA's.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Guess nobody need to owe an apology for bashing Fletcher for not attending the mini-camps and OTA's.

Since I am one of the persons that you are probably refering to here, please allow me to respond as I did in another post on this subject: I did say in one of my posts on this subject that if "Fletcher's absences were for personal reasons and not done with the blessing of the coaches", I would have a problem with them because of his leadership position with the team. Obviously, with his mother dying, this was the kind of situation where the coaches should have and probably did give him their blessing to be absent.

In another earlier post on the subject I also wrote the following:

"Still, having made the mistake of coming down hard on a couple of guys who missed the first OTA sessions when it turned out that they actually had good reasons to do so that weren't reported until afterwards, I have to say that some of these guys may be missing not so much because they do not buy into what Marv and DJ are doing, but because they have legitimate reasons for not being in Buffalo that we don't know about at this point. Those guys I don't have a problem with and I suspect neither do Marv, DJ and the other coaches."

Without a doubt, with his mother ill and dying, Fletcher had more than totally legitimate reasons for not being in Buffalo for the OTAs and, as I stated, should be excused from any criticism about his absence. But, again, it was something that I certainly did not know anything about at the time and neither did most Bills fans because there had been no mention of it in the press.

Having spend a significant portion of my time over an 18 month period trying to help care for a terminally-ill parent not very long ago, my heart not only goes out to London Fletcher for his loss, but also, now that I know what the situation was, my respect for the way that he dealt with his priorities. Needless to say, his reasons for not participating in the OTAs transcended his committments to his job as a football player and in my comments I did say that he should be excused if this were the case. So, while I did raise possible questions about Fletcher's leadership based on his absences from the OTAs, at the same time, I do not feel that it is necessary to retract or apologize for my comments because, when I made them, I clearly made a point of leaving open the possibility that those absences were justified in a way that answered those questions and made them moot points by stating that there could be reasons for them that we were not aware of--which proved to be the case.

My sincerest condolences go out to London Fletcher and his family in this time of loss. You can also rest assured that, now that I know of his loss, I will keep this in mind in any further comments or analysis that I may make about his performance for the Bills in the upcoming weeks and months.

The URL for the first quote: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1522019#post1522019

The URL for the second: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1522019#post1522019

don137
06-13-2006, 06:35 AM
First and foremost condolences to the London and his family.
Secondly, it does surprise me that Fletcher went to Drew because Drew usually represents "me" and not "team" players. Drew represents players that are good athletes but not good leaders or character players. He represents players Marv does not want on his team.
Fletcher seemed to not fit that mold but who knows...
I agree I do not see an extension in London's future due to his age and agent.

Dozerdog
06-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Fletcher missed some minicamp due to the death of his mother.

I'm assuming he missed OPTIONAL OTA's because she was dying.

But Ice- please amuse us with more "guesses" on why London and possibly others are not in OTA's.