PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle crash

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 11:01 AM
No details, except that he wasn't wearing a helmet. Police have closed off the bridge on which he was driving.

Ickybaluky
Here is a LINK (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/s_457685.html).

mybills
:eek:

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 11:02 AM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6770) was involved in a motorcycle accident in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.
"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service.
Witnesses told authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.
ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

ICE74129
06-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Link not working

footballhottie
06-12-2006, 11:03 AM
um i thought they wernt aloud to ride those things.

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 11:06 AM
um i thought they wernt aloud to ride those things.

They normally are not allowed to, you are correct. It just depends on how the contract was written.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 11:06 AM
It has been an issue with him. People gave him crap about it after the Kellen Winslow accident. He basically said he didn't ride it much and he wasn't going to stop.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 11:23 AM
This is going to be a big story.

The news in Pittsburgh is covering it live. He was headed to the Steelers facility this morning and hit another car. He supposedly flipped over the handlebars, hit the windshield and rolled over the top of the car. He was conscious at the scene, but bleeding from the head.

I hope the kid is alright. He may be stupid for riding the bike without a helmet, but people make mistakes. He is a good player and I hope he is OK.

THATHURMANATOR
06-12-2006, 11:24 AM
I am in contact with my 2 roomies from College in the burgh as we speak. I just sent them an email....

THATHURMANATOR
06-12-2006, 11:25 AM
I too hope it is nothing serious!

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 11:27 AM

gr8slayer
06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Here's a link that will work. http://www.rotowire.com/roto_to_gnew...2884&sport=nfl

feelthepain
06-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Listening to John Clayton now and it seems it's not that serious.

THATHURMANATOR
06-12-2006, 11:32 AM
My buddy just emailed me back and said that the security guard at his office has a police scanner and the initial reports are bad..... :-(

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
My buddy just emailed me back and said that the security guard at his office has a police scanner and the initial reports are bad..... :-(

wow, how does that change things?

THATHURMANATOR
06-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Yeah I just heard reports that he is ok! Maybe my buddy is just freaking out!

ICE74129
06-12-2006, 11:35 AM

Which of course means Ben is in a Coma and they are giving last rights...

THATHURMANATOR
06-12-2006, 11:36 AM
My other roomie just emailed me that it doesn't sound good. Conflicting reports. I am assuming my buddies are just overreacting.

LtFinFan66
06-12-2006, 11:37 AM
should wear a freakin helmet Ben:shakeno:

gr8slayer
06-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Live feed
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/5839843/index.html

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 11:38 AM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830) says it is not life threatening.

Now I don't feel bad calling him a dumbass for not having the helmet on.

The King
06-12-2006, 11:40 AM
http://spe.atdmt.com/b/I2IWCYAMAYMA/300x250_strato_promo_REVISED.jpg (http://log.go.com/log?srvc%3dsz%26guid%3dAB13B6B5-C604-4059-B984-B7D46F22C280%26drop%3d0%26addata%3d1331:275:235844:65%26a%3d1%26goto%3dhttp://clk.atdmt.com/goiframe/14096097/spnxxyma0010000047iwc/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01)

this ad was on the espn page

BAM
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Hope he's OK.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Something like this can be serious without being life-threatening. The worst and most potentially serious part is the head injury because they have not said if there is damage to key bones around the eyes or to the parts of the skull that protect the brain and, depending on how he hit the windshield, of course there is the possibility of concussion. For a football player, all of those kinds of injuries can be serious, in terms of impacting his playing ability, without being life-threatening.

I like him and hope that none of his injuries turn out to be serious enough to impact his ability to play football, even though I don't particularly like the Steelers. :pray: But, the good news is that his injuries appear not to be life-threatening and that certainly is most important.

BFLOBILLSBURGH
06-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Don't feel bad for Ben. This has been a topic here in Pittsburgh for over 1 year. He knew the risks of not only riding a motorcycle but riding one w/out a helmet. Even Bradshaw tried to convince him to stop riding. He had a feud w/ Cowher about it last year before training camp,

He knew the risks.

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Maybe Ben and Kellen jr. can share a room.

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 12:08 PM
This has to be one of the worst laws in Pennsylvania.

It's not against the law to ride a motercycle without a helmet. It's the drivers choice. It's against the law to operate an automobile without a seatbelt though.

You can be in a minor fender bender in an automobile and whether you are wearing a seatbelt or not it wouldn't make a bit of difference on your health. It doesn't matter what type of an accident you're in when riding a motorcycle though. Even the smallest accident on a bike can be serious if you're not wearing a helmet.

It's not very hard to crack your skull off of something in any type of a motorcycle accident. Even the most minor accident doesn't feel good and is very dangerous.

Why a stupid law like this was passed we will never know. They say it's against their rights to make somebody wear a helmet and it should be their choice. Shouldn't that same logic apply to wearing a seatbelt in an automobile then?

footballhottie
06-12-2006, 12:08 PM
i dont feel bad for him at all

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Maybe Ben and Kellen jr. can share a room.

They can attend Sturgis together.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 12:10 PM
i dont feel bad for him at all

The depth of your compassion is stunning.

You know he is a white guy, right? From the homeland?

footballhottie
06-12-2006, 12:11 PM
why should i feel bad for that douch bag

Saratoga Slim
06-12-2006, 12:12 PM
not wearing a helmet is fun, but dumb in a downtown-high traffic type situation. if you want to feel the wind blowing through your hair, take it out on some country road where there's no one to run into you.

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 12:14 PM
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

How do you wear a motorcycle? That has gotta be pretty heavy. Big Ben must be a strong guy.

I wonder since he wears the motorcycle if he rides the helmet instead?

Saratoga Slim
06-12-2006, 12:15 PM
This has to be one of the worst laws in Pennsylvania.

It's not against the law to ride a motercycle without a helmet. It's the drivers choice. It's against the law to operate an automobile without a seatbelt though.

You can be in a minor fender bender in an automobile and whether you are wearing a seatbelt or not it wouldn't make a bit of difference on your health. It doesn't matter what type of an accident you're in when riding a motorcycle though. Even the smallest accident on a bike can be serious if you're not wearing a helmet.

It's not very hard to crack your skull off of something in any type of a motorcycle accident. Even the most minor accident doesn't feel good and is very dangerous.

Why a stupid law like this was passed we will never know. They say it's against their rights to make somebody wear a helmet and it should be their choice. Shouldn't that same logic apply to wearing a seatbelt in an automobile then?

I agree its a dumb law, but he made the choice not to wear it. just because the law allowed him to go helmetless doesn't mean it was a good idea.

bet he starts wearing them from now on.

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Here in FL you can ride helmetless on a motorcycle but not on a bike if your under 16, go figure.

superbills
06-12-2006, 12:22 PM

A woman who can't even spell "douche"? :rolleyes:

He's a "douchebag" for what, exactly? For winning the superbowl? For not being a Buffalo Bill? Or are you talking about the helmet thing? Elaborate, lest ye be cast in the same light.

footballhottie
06-12-2006, 12:25 PM
gee sorry... hes one for beating us in game 16 back in 2004.

footballhottie
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
and my friend said hes kinda a dick, he was friends with him back in college

Stewie
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
You know what, I don't feel sorry for him. At all. He's an egotistical idiot for not wearing a helmet.

I hope the steelers go 0-16.

THATHURMANATOR
06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
I do hope he is ok but I will say he is an idiot for not wearing a helmet....

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I agree its a dumb law, but he made the choice not to wear it. just because the law allowed him to go helmetless doesn't mean it was a good idea.

bet he starts wearing them from now on.

Oh I agree 100%. If there was a law that you could go around a stab people with a butcher knife would you do it? That was his choice and it came back to haunt him.

I don't own a motorcycle but if I did I wouldn't be out on one without a helmet.

There isn't anything that prevents me from riding my ATV without a helmet. I still wear one even though I don't have to.

If I didn't wear one and crashed my ATV and cracked my skull open it would be my own fault.

Stewie
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I feel worse for guys like Hines Ward who bust their ass and do the right things, so some hotshot quarterback and go and throw away the season on crap like this.

footballhottie
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I agree paul... Hes the asshat that cost us the playoffs back in 04

Tatonka
06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
anyone who doesnt wear a helmet deserves no sypathy for a head injury on a bike.

he is a tool. i dont care what happens to him. he brought it on himself.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
His condition is listed as "serious but stable". Reportedly, he is in surgery.

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
This is like choosing to protect your manhood during sex with a stranger or choosing not to wrap it up.

There isn't a law that say you have to protect yourself but if you get a girl knocked up or catch an STD it was your own fault. You had that choice and you need to live with it.

THATHURMANATOR
06-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Anymore news?
Drudge says serious but stable condition in surgery.....

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/12/D8I6PUBG0.html

footballhottie
His condition is listed as "serious but stable". Reportedly, he is in surgery. The condition of my broken heart was serious and unstable after that game 16 loss.

Mitchy moo
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit) star Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6770), who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning in a motorcycle accident and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=65>http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s6770.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=65><CENTER>Roethlisberger</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.
ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that Roethlisberger was conscious while undergoing treatment for gashes on his forehead -- and that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

blackonyx89
06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Pray for Big Ben to be alright. His health is more important than football!!! He made a tragic mistake.He's only human and we all make stupid decisions. What if you or a loved one did that? Sad indeed.:(

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
The condition of my broken heart was serious and unstable after that game 16 loss.

You have a heart?

footballhottie
06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
more important then football? I have never heard those words used together before in the same sentence.

footballhottie
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
You have a heart? not after that...

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM

He didn't cost us the playoffs. Our worthless coaching staff and QB who couldn't protect the football in the 2nd half and beat a bunch of 3rd stringers cost us the playoffs.

Hell, Big Ben was only in the game for about a quarter. If you wanna blame a QB for us missing out on the playoffs blame Tommy Maddox and Brian St. Pierre, and even worse from our own team, Drew Bledsoe.

footballhottie
06-12-2006, 12:41 PM
he was apart of it! I blame everything for that loss. including our Qb, lol even ask mikey.

Michael82
06-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Don't feel bad for Ben. This has been a topic here in Pittsburgh for over 1 year. He knew the risks of not only riding a motorcycle but riding one w/out a helmet. Even Bradshaw tried to convince him to stop riding. He had a feud w/ Cowher about it last year before training camp,

He knew the risks.
Great post! We all remember what happened to that idiot Winslow and now this happens to Roethlisberger. What a moron! :cynic:

:ill:

Michael82
06-12-2006, 12:47 PM
You know what, I don't feel sorry for him. At all. He's an egotistical idiot for not wearing a helmet.

I hope the steelers go 0-16.
:bf1:

Jan Reimers
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Why do so many athletes like Big Ben, who are making millions and have their entire lives ahead of them, risk everything with stupid, irresponsible behavior?

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
I can just see this now when the NFL season starts. If Big Ben comes back alright and plays this year the media will be making a big deal over it. They will be acting like how tough he is to come back after the crash so soon and acting like he is a saint when it was his own stupid fault.

It will be similar to Teddy Bruschi only not nearly as bad. You know what I'm talking about.

Michael82
06-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Why do so many athletes like Big Ben, who are making millions and have their entire lives ahead of them, risk everything with stupid, irresponsible behavior?
Because the NFL players are becoming more and more arrogant and cocky. I'm just glad JP doesn't like motorcycles, because this would be him if he rode them. :ill:

Michael82
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
man, they are still talking about it on that site....

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM

I don't know how much money he makes is a factor. Young people make stupid mistakes. I did, and I'm sure everyone else here did. Sometimes those mistakes have serious consequences.

I'm not alleviating the guy of blame, he brought it on himself. That said, it will be a shame if he is injured badly.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
man, they are still talking about it on that site....

He is the QB of a Super Bowl team, and he led them to that game in only his 2nd year. They are a football crazed town.

If it were Buffalo, don't you think it would be big news?

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 12:58 PM
The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at about 11:30 a.m. A pool of blood was still visible there by early afternoon.

. The extent of his injuries was not known, although ESPN reported that they were not life- or career-threatening.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13279232/from/RS.5/

Michael82
06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
He is the QB of a Super Bowl team, and he led them to that game in only his 2nd year. They are a football crazed town.

If it were Buffalo, don't you think it would be big news?
yeah it would be. i was just telling everybody that it's still on there in case u wanted to watch.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 01:02 PM
yeah it would be. i was just telling everybody that it's still on there in case u wanted to watch.

Oh. Nevermind.

Michael82
06-12-2006, 01:03 PM
The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at about 11:30 a.m. A pool of blood was still visible there by early afternoon.

. The extent of his injuries was not known, although ESPN reported that they were not life- or career-threatening.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13279232/from/RS.5/
he's in surgery right now for what they reporters think... a broken jaw and some other head/face injuries.

Discotrish
06-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Dude wears a helmet for football, but not motorcycling? Defensive linemen don't go more than 20 mph, do they?

Don't they have contract stipulations about things like motorcycles?

Patti

HAMMER
06-12-2006, 01:09 PM

No he's not, the asshats that cost us the playoffs are the players on our defense that couldn't beat the Steelers scrubs. In my opinion that was the biggest choke in Buffalo sports history, completely inexcusable and it was the very first time I was truly embarassed to be a Bills fan.

Discotrish
06-12-2006, 01:10 PM
anyone who doesnt wear a helmet deserves no sypathy for a head injury on a bike.

he is a tool. i dont care what happens to him. he brought it on himself.

So you'd pretty much kick those Mt. Everest climbers if you passed one lying on a slope somewhere?

Patti

Discotrish
06-12-2006, 01:13 PM

He knew the risks.

Wasn't it Cowher at the wheel of the car that hit him?

Patti

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
I heard the driver of the car had a Bengals license plate on the front of the vehicle.

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Ben has the potential to become the second coming of Bruschi!

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Don't they have contract stipulations about things like motorcycles?

It varies from contract to contract, but a lot of them do.

One of the things addressed with the latest CBA was standard contract language across teams. It has been a problem in the past, but it will be included in all contracts in the future.

HAMMER
06-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Let's pile on.......I can't think of too many things dumber than not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. It shows a lack of respect for your life. My best friend in 8th grade was a great motocross racer, always wore full gear, never hurt. Then one day on Easter break he decides to go out for a quick ride w/o his helmet and a car backs out of a driveway in front of him. He went over the bars, into and over the car and busted his head open, never came out of his coma and died three days later. I am still pissed at him, very dumb move.

Ben is old enough to know better, no matter how good you are you can't control the other guys 4,000 lb vehicle. I hope he is OK.

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Maybe it was Kimo Von Olehoffen :idunno:

BillsFever21
06-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Ben has the potential to become the second coming of Bruschi!

I can see the drama skits for him already when the season starts. "In an unfortunate incident, Big Ben escaped death and is now killing every team that stands in his way. He is the kind of guy you want your children to idolize and grow up to be. He is a role model for our youth. He will raise your children"

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 01:26 PM
I can see the drama skits for him already when the season starts. "In an unfortunate incident, Big Ben escaped death and is now killing every team that stands in his way. He is the kind of guy you want your children to idolize and grow up to be. He is a role model for our youth. He will raise your children"

He fathered alot of kids around the Pittsburgh area from what I hear, why shouldn't he raise them?

Michael82
06-12-2006, 01:33 PM
"He is a God. Everybody on the field now, including the Bengals, bowing to Ben Roethlisberger as if he is some kind of mythical creature, half man, half God, half - possible - Centaur. I'm not sure, but either way, I wish he was my dad."

MTBillsFan
06-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Hopefully he's okay. It could happen to anyone. However, WEAR your freakin helmet!

Kerr
06-12-2006, 02:04 PM
This should be a good lesson to those nfl motorcycle lovers.

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 02:06 PM
It should be a good lesson for anybody.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 02:26 PM
He'll live, but he is messed up. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html) (link works slow because the site is being hit hard, so may time out):

<b>Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.</b>

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
I wonder how long he will be out

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Now he and Gary Busey will have something to talk about.

Michael82
06-12-2006, 02:37 PM
He'll live, but he is messed up. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html) (link works slow because the site is being hit hard, so may time out):

<b>Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.</b>
lost most of his teeth? That sucks. :ill:

I also bet the Steelers are worried about how bad he injured BOTH of his knees. If it's as bad as I'm thinking, Big Ben just ****ed over the Steelers and may not play this year. :shakeno:

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 02:41 PM
lost most of his teeth? That sucks. :ill:

Now he and Jack Lambert can hang out when he is not busy hanging with Gary Busey or Kellen Winslow, Jr.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-12-2006, 02:41 PM

busey can only drool at this point... hope Ben is not that bad off!

Discotrish
06-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Lisp about, depending on how well the falsies fit.

He is part man, part motorcyle, part pavement.

Patti

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I think Busey is in worse shape than Kneivel.

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Maybe Ben can get gold teeth like Flava Flav.

Michael82
06-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Now he and Jack Lambert can hang out when he is not busy hanging with Gary Busey or Kellen Winslow, Jr.
Him and Kellen Winslow Jr are already best friends forever. :up:

billsburgh
06-12-2006, 03:04 PM
here's a story with some pictures pictures (http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163114722.html) watching the news right now and the car and his bike are fugged up.

TKOZone
06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/9493892

PITTSBURGH (June 12, 2006) -- Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/news/PIT) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493043) was badly hurt in a motorcycle crash June 12 and undergoing surgery. The extent of his injuries was not known.
Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition in the afternoon, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=150 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD width=150>http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9494141.jpg </TD><TD width=15> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=150>Ben Roethlisberger has reveled in his rebellious, motorcycle image. </TD><TD width=15> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."
Steelers president Art Rooney said the team was "encouraged by the early reports from the medical team" at the hospital.
"I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery," he said.
The 24-year-old Roethlisberger likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher. It was not known whether Roethlisberger was wearing a helmet when he crashed

Michael82
06-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Check out an old video from Terry Bradshaw. He called him an idiot and told him to park the damn motorcycle. Then he said off camera at the end "I can't believe he's riding the motorcycle. It's the stupidest thing I ever heard of." :rofl: :doh:

If only Big Ben listened to him. :shakeno:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html#

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I found the updated Big Ben photo for the Steelers media guides:

http://www.bondnet.de/galerie/movies/bond/10tswlm/jaws.jpg

Jan Reimers
06-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Big Ben has a small brain.

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I found the updated Big Ben photo for the Steelers media guides:

http://www.bondnet.de/galerie/movies/bond/10tswlm/jaws.jpg

AHHHHHHHH, It's jaws!

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 03:33 PM
I think we covered this in the 5 page thread already started.

cordog
06-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Theres a rumor going around in Pitt, that he has a brain injury also. There is nothing confirming this, but just a rumor that I've heard.

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6770), the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash Monday and underwent surgery.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, citing a police source, reported Roethlisberger also broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost teeth and has knee injuries from hitting the pavement. A plastic surgeon has been called in, the source said.

Mitchy moo
06-12-2006, 03:39 PM
One might assume the 9" laceration is what caused this blood puddle:

http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0612/nfl_a_roethlisberger_275.jpg

AP Photo/Keith Srakocic
Paint outlines puddles of oil and blood on the street where Roethlisberger collided with an automobile while riding a motorcycle on Monday.

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 03:39 PM
there goes his off-season.

BillsNick
06-12-2006, 03:41 PM
What friggin moron. :loser:

I hate Pittsburg fans and you know they are all holding their breath now.
I hope he's alright but I bet he will wear a helmet next time.

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 03:43 PM
What friggin moron. :loser:

I hate Pittsburg fans and you know they are all holding their breath now.
I hope he's alright but I bet he will wear a helmet next time.

if there is a next time. After hitting his head that hard, he may be throwing a rubber-tipped javelin in the Special Olympics instead of a football.

Michael82
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Theres a rumor going around in Pitt, that he has a brain injury also. There is nothing confirming this, but just a rumor that I've heard.
oh man, that would really suck. :ill:

Michael82
06-12-2006, 03:46 PM
if there is a next time. After hitting his head that hard, he may be throwing a rubber-tipped javelin in the Special Olympics instead of a football.
:rofl:

Michael82
06-12-2006, 03:51 PM
All Big Ben threads have been merged to here. Let's try to keep all the Roethlisberger stuff in here. :up:

Michael82
06-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Oh by the way, they are saying on a Pittsburgh sports radio station Fox Sports 970AM that in addition to all of his injuries reported, Ben Roethlisberger also sprained his knee.

http://www.970theburgh.com/main.html

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 03:54 PM
All Big Ben threads have been merged to here. Let's try to keep all the Roethlisberger stuff in here. :up:

GREAT JOB, MIKEY!! Keep up the great work! :up:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-12-2006, 04:15 PM
I would lay money that ALL NFL contracts in the future will include a no Motorcylce clause.

Gunzlingr
06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
I wonder if that mole of his got ground off in the accident. :scratch:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-12-2006, 04:24 PM

Not funny Gunzlingr!...... um, well actually it is funny..... but I'm trying not to laugh at the situation.

:)

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-12-2006, 04:25 PM
I'll bet this adds a whole new dimension to Ben's "Fathead" poster promotion

Michael82
06-12-2006, 04:29 PM
I would lay money that ALL NFL contracts in the future will include a no Motorcylce clause.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Michael82
06-12-2006, 04:29 PM
:spit:

Michael82
06-12-2006, 04:30 PM
I know it's wrong, but..... :laughing:

shelby
06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow.
i hope he'll be ok.

patmoran2006
06-12-2006, 05:14 PM
I"m not a Steelers fan, but you never want to see this.. I respect the guy.

I hope he's Ok.

Novacane
06-12-2006, 05:30 PM
The dumbass is lucky to be alive.

Novacane
06-12-2006, 05:38 PM
The dumbass is lucky to be alive.

JD
06-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Even if he were near death, they wouldnt say so..it would get the entire nfl into a frenzy..it would make the league look bad for letting players risk their lives by riding motorcycles and such. I think he is in worse shape than they are saying..did anyone see the pics of the car he hit?? it got jacked up, his head bounced off the windshield..he HAS to be seriously injured.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-12-2006, 06:47 PM
That intersection is notoriously bad (under the highway). Supposedly, the old lady made a left turn in front of Big Ben and he had no chance of stopping. The local TV is reporting that Big Ben was thrown off his bike, smashed into the car's wind shield. The extend of the injury is tightly guarded but this much we know from the hospital: broken jaw, teeth lost (almost all), shattered sinuses, knees. It's safe to say it's going to be awhile for him to drink and party like he is used to do ...

And Mr. Cowher's win-again-and-I'm-out plan just went out of the window ...

raphael120
06-12-2006, 06:52 PM
yeh actually i just came from pittsburgh this morning, went to see a dave matthews concert there, i live in DC now, but i talked to my friend who is a surgical tech at mercy hospital and he said he saw him and helped moved him from the ER to the OR, and he's like my best friend and even HE wouldnt tell me anything about it, so I think somethin is seriously up, the only thing he would tell me is that his face was pretty busted up, but that goes without saying...

dudes gotta realize he's not invincible, i think he's gonna be out of football for years...they say he hurt his knees, i dont know bout him coming back any time soon...too bad, they had all but good things to look ahead to.

Bombdiggity
06-12-2006, 07:11 PM
wow... what a tragity for Ben, his family and the Steelers. I hope he recovers without any serious problems. My prayers are with him.

STAMPY
06-12-2006, 07:52 PM

Lizz come on. it was a dumb move. but have some class, we're talking about a guys life here and his career being cut short. if u crashed your car without a belt on. i'd feel bad for you too. the fact he beat us should have no bearing. this is a human being. a classy guy too

Nighthawk
06-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Lizz come on. it was a dumb move. but have some class, we're talking about a guys life here and his career being cut short. if u crashed your car without a belt on. i'd feel bad for you too. the fact he beat us should have no bearing. this is a human being. a classy guy too

Well said Stampy.:bf1:

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 08:32 PM

I feel a photochop coming on....

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 08:34 PM

it's not about him beating us or not being a classy guy. It's about him being a dumbass. It's too bad that he got in an accident, but it could have been a sprained knee and a headache and in 3 weeks he'd be fine. Instead, it's very serious. His stupidity screwed himself, his teammates and his fans.

OpIv37
06-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Even if he were near death, they wouldnt say so..it would get the entire nfl into a frenzy..it would make the league look bad for letting players risk their lives by riding motorcycles and such.

why would it make the NFL look bad? It's not their job to run around policing players. What teams can do (and usually do) is put contract clauses that take away guaranteed money if a player gets injured after engaging in risky behavior- ie, you only get paid when injured if you get hurt on the football field.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2006, 09:10 PM

One thing addressed in the last CBA was standard contract language for this sort of thing. Of course, Roethlisberger's contract was signed before the most recent CBA.

YardRat
06-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Any new updates??

shelby
06-12-2006, 10:17 PM
http://static.viacomlocalnetworks.com/img/clock2.gif Jun 12, 2006 10:41 pm US/Eastern
Doctors: Ben's Surgery Successful

Doctors at Mercy Hospital say Ben’s seven hours of surgery were successful.

They were able to repair a fracture to his face.

He’s now in serious, but stable condition.

Doctors say he has no other serious injuries that they are aware of.

Doctor Daniel Pituch says Roethlisberger’s brain, spine chest and abdomen all appear to be okay.

link (http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163223639.html)

YardRat
06-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks, shelby :D

PUCKER
06-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Moron shouldve been wearing a helmet. :shakeno:

billsburgh
06-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Moron shouldve been wearing a helmet. :shakeno:
yes he should have. It seems as though this wasnt his fault today, but I started a thread a while back about him cutting me off on his motorcycle only about a mile from the accident site. He was speeding back then and not driving very safely.

An ironic side note, the news here was saying that about an hour before the accident, Ben was a guest on Tony Bruno's radio show to promote something and Bruno was talking about how Kyle Boller was supposed to be on his show last season and blew him off and then got injured soon after. Well Today, Bruno told Ben that he should be safe now that he was on the show. We know how that turned out.

Meathead
06-13-2006, 01:07 AM
i have as much sympathy for him as i do any dumb redneck who rides around on a two wheeled half ton hunk of metal at seventy mph without a helmet

thats just dumb. i always used the wrap around helmet for just such a reason. as much as i liked to ride i ended up getting tired of close calls and sold the bike anyway

i'll bet he's done with football

ddaryl
06-13-2006, 03:09 AM
Wow, another No helmet meathead.

If you ride a motorcycle and you refuse ot wear a helmet then you are one dumb SOB.

If Ben returns from this I expect him to have a completel new outlook on motorcycle helmets

LtFinFan66
06-13-2006, 03:13 AM
That bike he has tops out at 200+ mph. Fastest street legal bike on the market....and you don't wear a helmet :duh:

don137
06-13-2006, 05:51 AM
Its a bird....no its a plane....no it's Roethlisberger flying through Pittsburgh...

Seriously, I am glad he is OK. I hope he does come back to the NFL however his life is more important than a game. The important thing is he is a live. I wouldn't wish harm on anybody, even Brian Cox. I do feel sorry for Roethlisberger however he knew the risks and it was his choice. I don't care how careful you are its the other people you need to worry about and in many cases there just isn't time enough to react.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-13-2006, 06:45 AM
i have as much sympathy for him as i do any dumb redneck who rides around on a two wheeled half ton hunk of metal at seventy mph without a helmet

thats just dumb. i always used the wrap around helmet for just such a reason. as much as i liked to ride i ended up getting tired of close calls and sold the bike anyway

i'll bet he's done with football

Actually people here are starting to talk about him coming back to start the season!!!! No brain damadge, no spine nor chest injury, it's just a matter of time for the jaw to heal, along with other minor stuff.

Earthquake Enyart
06-13-2006, 06:51 AM
Ben is my new favorite vegetable!

Stewie
06-13-2006, 08:07 AM

He's not a classy guy. He's a jackass. He threw away the pittsburgh steelers season because he's a moron.

Classy guys don't put themselves in front of their team.

And anyone who saw his pre-draft "interview" at the site of the former WTC would NEVER call him "classy"

The guy is a P.O.S, and he's the luckiest quarterback in the history of the league.

justasportsfan
06-13-2006, 08:13 AM
People should understand that no matter how good of a motorcycle driver you are, there's always stupid car drivers. Wear a freaking helmet.

I was so close to getting a sport bike in Florida. Then I realized almost half of the car drivers down there are now collecting social security who's grandchildren are already above 30 yr. in age. They don't use their turn signal lights and slam on the freaking breaks.

mybills
06-13-2006, 08:22 AM
link (http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163223639.html)
Last night, CNN said bruised knees. This morning, a possible broken leg. They're doing a good job reporting as usual.

Michael82
06-13-2006, 10:32 AM
yeh actually i just came from pittsburgh this morning, went to see a dave matthews concert there, i live in DC now, but i talked to my friend who is a surgical tech at mercy hospital and he said he saw him and helped moved him from the ER to the OR, and he's like my best friend and even HE wouldnt tell me anything about it, so I think somethin is seriously up, the only thing he would tell me is that his face was pretty busted up, but that goes without saying...

dudes gotta realize he's not invincible, i think he's gonna be out of football for years...they say he hurt his knees, i dont know bout him coming back any time soon...too bad, they had all but good things to look ahead to.
I wouldn't be surprised if he tores both his knees up and has brain damage. :ill:

:(

Michael82
06-13-2006, 10:33 AM
it's not about him beating us or not being a classy guy. It's about him being a dumbass. It's too bad that he got in an accident, but it could have been a sprained knee and a headache and in 3 weeks he'd be fine. Instead, it's very serious. His stupidity screwed himself, his teammates and his fans.
Excellent post! :bf1:

Gunzlingr
06-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Not funny Gunzlingr!...... um, well actually it is funny..... but I'm trying not to laugh at the situation.

:)

I am trying to focus on the positive aspects of the wreck.

Michael82
06-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Actually people here are starting to talk about him coming back to start the season!!!! No brain damadge, no spine nor chest injury, it's just a matter of time for the jaw to heal, along with other minor stuff.
coming back to start the season!?!?? :lmao:

I'll pay you $20 cash if that happens. No way in hell!

Gunzlingr
06-13-2006, 11:51 AM
6 weeks minimum for the jaw alone. The teeth I don't know about.

shelby
06-13-2006, 11:58 AM
For the teeth, you're looking at 9 months to a year minimum.

Michael82
06-13-2006, 12:12 PM
6 weeks minimum for the jaw alone. The teeth I don't know about.
I think it will take 2-3 months for the face/head injuries to disappear enough for him to be ready to play for the Steelers. But I also believe he has other injuries to his legs and knees that havent been revealed yet.

Billsrock4life
06-13-2006, 06:52 PM
anyone that willingly gets on a motorcycle with no helmet whether its a law or not deserves to crash

Nighthawk
06-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Breaking News!

The Doctor's in Pittsburgh just had another press conference to announce that something else happened that they didn't reveal earlier to the public. The doctor went on to state, "After looking at the CT scan, we notice that a little part of his brain actually began to work and that Big Ben has not started muttering that he now knows that he should wear a helmet while riding." Previous reports had stated that this part of the Ben's brain was not actively working prior to the accident. It goes to show you, sometimes wrecking actually fixes your problems.

More news at 11:00pm.

Mr. Pink
06-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Night, did his brain tell him that maybe having a permit, let alone a license to drive a motorcycle would be a good idea too?

Nighthawk
06-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Night, did his brain tell him that maybe having a permit, let alone a license to drive a motorcycle would be a good idea too?

That will be revealed at tomorrow's press conference, but the doctors did hint that there might be some other things showing up on the CT scan. They didn't exactly know what it was at this time, but they were in the process of doing tests.

My full report will come after the press conference.

billsburgh
06-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I think it will take 2-3 months for the face/head injuries to disappear enough for him to be ready to play for the Steelers. But I also believe he has other injuries to his legs and knees that havent been revealed yet.
In an afternoon press conference this afternoon, the doctor emphatically stated that there is no structural damage to his knees.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-14-2006, 07:02 AM
It actually sounds very real now that Ben will indeed be ready for the opener - from the doctors, team, and local reporters. Everyone is saying the so.

SABURZFAN
06-14-2006, 07:08 AM
It actually sounds very real now that Ben will indeed be ready for the opener - from the doctors, team, and local reporters. Everyone is saying the so.

the Las Vegas Saburz are breathing a sigh of relief in the BZFL.

footballhottie
06-14-2006, 09:46 AM
sorry stampy i just dont feel bad for him at all... let the pain of 04 subside and then we'll talk. (keep in mind im just starting to get over wide right a little bit, so give it about 14 years)

Michael82
06-14-2006, 12:46 PM
I still find this totally hard to believe.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-14-2006, 01:07 PM
I still find this totally hard to believe.

The doctors have come out stressing that he has no structural damage in his knees, legs that earlier they suspected that he might have hurt. The brain, neck, spine, chest area were all cleared the first time they checked because those are the usual area of motorcycle accident. He did have a light concussion, which at his age (<24 year old), as a pro, is not a big concern. "He's very lucky" is echoed throughout in Pittsburgh. It's almost a certainty that he can resume his football career. Now it's a when issue.

The biggest problem will be losing weight because he can't eat while the jaw is healing for the next two months. I would image they are trying to find way to put nutrition into his body and design a routine to regain his shape in August.

He'll look different but he'll be back this coming season - barring any complications.

Michael82
06-14-2006, 01:13 PM
The doctors have come out stressing that he has no structural damage in his knees, legs that earlier they suspected that he might have hurt. The brain, neck, spine, chest area were all cleared the first time they checked because those are the usual area of motorcycle accident. He did have a light concussion, which at his age (<24 year old), as a pro, is not a big concern. "He's very lucky" is echoed throughout in Pittsburgh. It's almost a certainty that he can resume his football career. Now it's a when issue.

The biggest problem will be losing weight because he can't eat while the jaw is healing for the next two months. I would image they are trying to find way to put nutrition into his body and design a routine to regain his shape in August.

He'll look different but he'll be back this coming season - barring any complications.
and you wanna know the funniest part about this? If the dumbass was wearing a helmet, he wouldn't have had all the face/head injuries either. He literally would have walked out of the hospital this week with just a few scrapes and bruises. :ill:

billsburgh
06-14-2006, 01:54 PM
and you wanna know the funniest part about this? If the dumbass was wearing a helmet, he wouldn't have had all the face/head injuries either. He literally would have walked out of the hospital this week with just a few scrapes and bruises. :ill:
your right Mikey. All that pain and suffering becuase the dumbass didnt want to wear a helmet.