PDA

View Full Version : Losman to Nance

jmb1099
06-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Just finished reading the training camp report and Losman after being sacked came right back and hit Nance for a 20 yard pass play...for those keeping score 20 yards is four times further than Holcomb can throw, but I digress. Then at the end of the series Losman hit Nance again for the TD. Looks to me like Losman has found another favorite target which is great news. Also is interesting is the report about Nall's drastic improvement. Its all at biffalobills.com.

evol4276
06-12-2006, 10:13 PM
even more interesting is the Holcomb comment on a somewhat bad day.. maybe this will bump JP up a few more notches

PcA125
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
even more interesting is the Holcomb comment on a somewhat bad day.. maybe this will bump JP up a few more notches

what did he say? Got a link?

Philagape
06-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Could JP and Nall be the two guys Jauron was referring to?? :pray:

YardRat
06-12-2006, 10:33 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3819

Quarterback Craig Nall may have had his best day of the entire offseason Monday. He was decisive with the football and more consistent with his accuracy. His passes also appeared to have more velocity on them.

:D

LtBillsFan66
06-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Just finished reading the training camp report and Losman after being sacked came right back and hit Nance for a 20 yard pass play...for those keeping score 20 yards is four times further than Holcomb can throw, but I digress. Then at the end of the series Losman hit Nance again for the TD. Looks to me like Losman has found another favorite target which is great news. Also is interesting is the report about Nall's drastic improvement. Its all at biffalobills.com.
Wow. Losman completed a 20 yard pass in practice.

We should order our super bowl tickets now!

ublinkwescore
06-12-2006, 10:43 PM

And he's been rumored to be much more accurate with his passes - can't you just try being happy that the news isn't bad.

evol4276
06-12-2006, 10:45 PM

QB UPDATE: Craig Nall had his best passing day this offseason. His passes had more zip, he was more decisive in where he was going with the ball. Perhaps the light bulb is going on for him with respect to the offense because he wasn't hesitating and pumping and hitching like he had been in previous camps. He was also more accurate which was good to see, and as I suspected I wouldn't be surprised if it was because he didn't have to rush any of his throws. When he was slow to make some reads he would still try to stick a ball in a tight spot, but because his read was late, he'd try to muscle a ball in and it wouldn't get there in time or go for an INT. Today he was in a good rhythm.
Kelly Holcomb on the other hand was not his consistent self. His accuracy was off, he couldn't find a rhythm and made some poor choices with the football. One of his passes was tipped by Josh Stamer and intercepted by Jabari Greer in the end zone.
J.P. Losman performed well in the 2-minute drill. He effectively marched the team down the field. They started around their own 40 with exactly 2 minutes on the clock. They needed a TD and had a timeout at their disposal. It took him six plays to score. And Martin Nance had two big plays on the drive. He converted a 2nd-and-20 and the TD. George Wilson had a nice gainer too.

ublinkwescore
06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Holcombe on the NFL Network just basically said that Competition is nothing new to him, and that he's been in camp battles his whole career or something along those lines, I don't remember him saying anything acknowledging looking like crap compared to the other two... not that I'm saying the others look bad - I don't know how they have looked.

jmb1099
06-12-2006, 10:47 PM

I know...nothing to whine and cry about...terrible isn't it?

ublinkwescore
06-12-2006, 10:48 PM
I hope the 2 minute drill TD was against the first string defense.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-13-2006, 02:35 AM
It would be nice to see the Bills with a QB who has a good rapport with more than one WR. They haven't had that since P.Price went to Atlanta.

Chris Brown obviously likes what he sees from Nance when you read his reports on BB.com. Even though rookie receivers rarely have big first seasons, I like Nance and hope he makes the team--with his height, he could be the exception to this rule because of the options that he give the team in the red zone.

I don't know if JP was going against the first team defense or not, but Holcomb certainly wasn't going against a full first team defense when his pass was deflected by Josh Stamer and intercepted by Jabari Greer.

You know who's name hasn't come up much in these OTA reports? Josh Reed. Even Andre Davis and Roscoe Parrish have gotten mentions for good plays or great catches more often than Reed's name has come up. George Wilson's name has been mentioned a lot lately. The battle for roster spots at WR is going to be fascinating in the preseason!

jamze132
06-13-2006, 03:15 AM
I just hope they don't throw Nance away beacause he was the undrafted rookie. He can't perform when the pads come on then fine, but so far he looks like a 4th or 5th receiver. We know what Aiken, Smith, and Wilson can provide. All he needs to do is beat out 2 of the 3 since I think we will head into the season with 6 receivers. Besides, if Davis makes the sqaud (which he probably will", he will get hurt at some point in the season.

What the Bills may also do is put him on the practice squad, but I am sure that another team would be glad to take him off there.

Let the kid play and see what happens. He couldn't be any worse than Josh reed who will make the team just because of his experience, not his talent.

jmb1099
06-13-2006, 05:58 AM
I just hope they don't throw Nance away beacause he was the undrafted rookie. He can't perform when the pads come on then fine, but so far he looks like a 4th or 5th receiver. We know what Aiken, Smith, and Wilson can provide. All he needs to do is beat out 2 of the 3 since I think we will head into the season with 6 receivers. Besides, if Davis makes the sqaud (which he probably will", he will get hurt at some point in the season.

What the Bills may also do is put him on the practice squad, but I am sure that another team would be glad to take him off there.

Let the kid play and see what happens. He couldn't be any worse than Josh reed who will make the team just because of his experience, not his talent.
Agreed. If He continues to make plays in contact then he needs to be on the squad no matter what his draft status was.

jmb1099
06-13-2006, 06:00 AM
It would be nice to see the Bills with a QB who has a good rapport with more than one WR. They haven't had that since P.Price went to Atlanta.

Chris Brown obviously likes what he sees from Nance when you read his reports on BB.com. Even though rookie receivers rarely have big first seasons, I like Nance and hope he makes the team--with his height, he could be the exception to this rule because of the options that he give the team in the red zone.

I don't know if JP was going against the first team defense or not, but Holcomb certainly wasn't going against a full first team defense when his pass was deflected by Josh Stamer and intercepted by Jabari Greer.

You know who's name hasn't come up much in these OTA reports? Josh Reed. Even Andre Davis and Roscoe Parrish have gotten mentions for good plays or great catches more often than Reed's name has come up. George Wilson's name has been mentioned a lot lately. The battle for roster spots at WR is going to be fascinating in the preseason!
Interesting points. The other name not mentioned yet has been Peerless Price.

jmb1099
06-13-2006, 06:02 AM
I'm hoping that's the case. It could very well be that they've seen enough of Holcomb to know what they have. That is of course speculation, but that's why I'm hoping.

more cowbell
06-13-2006, 07:23 AM
when has aiken contributed anything ever besides make tackles on special teams or catch bledsoes flea flicker bomb against the rams in 2004? I know special teams are important but we dont need to waste a reciever spot just because a guy can tackle on punts.

if nance can somehwat tackle cut aiken he is by far the worst reciever on the team.

EDS
06-13-2006, 07:52 AM
I think Nall's improvement should be somewhat expected as he should be behind Losman and Holcomb in terms of familiarity with the Bills system and personnel.

madness
06-13-2006, 08:08 AM
I think Nall's improvement should be somewhat expected as he should be behind Losman and Holcomb in terms of familiarity with the Bills system and personnel.

I agree, older reports have been hinting about Nall struggling to catch up with the terminology of the system. It was only one day but hopefully Brown is right about the light bulb going off. If Nall can keep it up this level of play, Holcomb could be left in the dust and it also might bring out the best in J.P.

That sounds like a win-win situation to me. :up:

Michael82
06-13-2006, 11:21 AM
I agree, older reports have been hinting about Nall struggling to catch up with the terminology of the system. It was only one day but hopefully Brown is right about the light bulb going off. If Nall can keep it up this level of play, Holcomb could be left in the dust and it also might bring out the best in J.P.

That sounds like a win-win situation to me. :up:
yeah, we can finally cut the last piece of cancer on the team. Come on Losman and Nall. Take over and make the Bills end up cutting Kelly Holcomb. :pray:

ublinkwescore
06-13-2006, 12:51 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Reed gone before this season starts.

ShadowHawk7
06-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I would be. However, I think Aiken will be cut in favor of young upstarts Nance and Wilson. Wilson has simply made plays and deserves a legitimate shot, and so has Nance.

My prediction
WR1: Evans, Davis, Reed, Wilson
WR2: Price, Parrish, Nance

PS: Smith (if eligible, though unlikely.)

Cut: Aiken, Smith, and everyone else.

John Doe
06-13-2006, 03:30 PM
I would be. However, I think Aiken will be cut in favor of young upstarts Nance and Wilson. Wilson has simply made plays and deserves a legitimate shot, and so has Nance.

My prediction
WR1: Evans, Davis, Reed, Wilson
WR2: Price, Parrish, Nance

PS: Smith (if eligible, though unlikely.)

Cut: Aiken, Smith, and everyone else.

The cut may come down to Nance or Wilson.

Michael82
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
The cut may come down to Nance or Wilson.
If thats the case.....

:bigwave: Wilson

ublinkwescore
06-13-2006, 05:18 PM
that would be dumb.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Not really. If it comes down to Nance vs Wilson, IMHO the Bills should keep Nance.

There are two things you can't really teach in sports: speed and size. While Wilson isn't small, Nance, at 6'4", has a significant size advantage over Wilson and gives the Bills options, particularly in the red zone, that Wilson simply cannot bring to the table. Also, Wilson has had a couple of years of working on his techniques, etc. to get to the level that he is at now, whereas Nance is a rookie who is just getting started in the pro game. If the two are close enough that it comes down to a pick-um between these two guys, the team would be better off going with the younger, less experienced guy, Nance, because he has more upside and chance to improve: ie what you see is what you are going to always get from Wilson, but Nance has the potential to keep getting better.

Additionally, Nance's size can help make the QB look a lot better and, by doing so and adding to the QB's confidence, make him play better as well. I had never been someone very impressed by the size factor at WR--because so many of the great WRs over the years have not been particularly good and size has never been a predictor of greatness at the position--until I saw Plaxico Burress play for the NY Giants last season. Over the course of the season Burress made at least a dozen catches, most of them in key situations, on poorly thrown passes by Eli Manning that no shorter receiver would have been able to get to, let alone catch (two in particular stick in my mind)--passes that got first downs, kept drives going or would have otherwise been intercepted. By being tall enough to get to those balls and catching those passes, Burress not only made big plays for his team, but made Eli Manning look a lot better than he would have otherwise by turning what would have been incompletions or interceptions into drive continuing completions. And, that obviously helped Manning's confidence, which allowed him to play better. As the season wore on, Burress became kind of a security blanket for Manning in tough situations because he knew he could throw the ball up in Burress' direction when his protection was breaking down and Burress would make a play on it. The impact that Burress had on Manning and the Giants' offense was evident in their last couple of games where the opposing defenses concentrated on taking Burress away in an effort to force Manning to look elsewhere. Burress got frustrated and, being the type of guy that he is, disappeared in those two games. And, as a result, Eli Manning struggled greatly, looking not all that unlike JP Losman as the Giants lost.

Now, I'm not saying that Martin Nance is or is going to be a Plaxico Burress--he's going to have to show that he has that kind of ability and bring it to the table on gamedays first. But, with his size, he has the potential to give the Bills' QBs that same kind of outlet receiver, that same kind of guy who can turn a bad throw into a catch, that Manning had in Burress last season. While Nance is still going to have to develop that potential into a consistent ability, if he can, if he can do that, his size can make him a player who will make the Bills' QBs better. In many discussions about JP Losman, comparisons have been made between Losman's development and that of Eli Manning: if you look at Losman as being a year behind Eli in development, in many ways, JP has performed similarly to Manning at the same level of development/experience (Eli stunk just as bad as JP in his first 8 games as a starter). I saw the positive effect that Burress had on Manning and on his game last season. If Nance can develop quickly, it is possible that he could have a similarly positive impact on JP and his game as this season progresses. Nance still has a long way to go, in developing his own game, to get to that point, but he is a guy with the size and potential to do that. I can't see throwing a guy like that overboard if he needs some more time to develop his route-running skills and other techniques that can be taught to keep a guy who is as polished as he is going to get and is going to make your team as its # 5 or # 6 WR (Wilson), even if the guy is a special teams demon (Aiken).

To me, Nance has already shown enough in the OTAs--it seems like he is making a big or pretty catch just about every day now in those sessions--that the Bills have to seriously consider him for a roster spot even before the pads go on. IMHO, if he continues to show the promise and improvement that he has shown thus far, the Bills should keep him if it comes down to him vs Aiken, Wilson or Freddy Smith.

jmb1099
06-14-2006, 06:23 AM
Great Post as usual

Not really. If it comes down to Nance vs Wilson, IMHO the Bills should keep Nance.

There are two things you can't really teach in sports: speed and size. While Wilson isn't small, Nance, at 6'4", has a significant size advantage over Wilson and gives the Bills options, particularly in the red zone, that Wilson simply cannot bring to the table. Also, Wilson has had a couple of years of working on his techniques, etc. to get to the level that he is at now, whereas Nance is a rookie who is just getting started in the pro game. If the two are close enough that it comes down to a pick-um between these two guys, the team would be better off going with the younger, less experienced guy, Nance, because he has more upside and chance to improve: ie what you see is what you are going to always get from Wilson, but Nance has the potential to keep getting better.

Additionally, Nance's size can help make the QB look a lot better and, by doing so and adding to the QB's confidence, make him play better as well. I had never been someone very impressed by the size factor at WR--because so many of the great WRs over the years have not been particularly good and size has never been a predictor of greatness at the position--until I saw Plaxico Burress play for the NY Giants last season. Over the course of the season Burress made at least a dozen catches, most of them in key situations, on poorly thrown passes by Eli Manning that no shorter receiver would have been able to get to, let alone catch (two in particular stick in my mind)--passes that got first downs, kept drives going or would have otherwise been intercepted. By being tall enough to get to those balls and catching those passes, Burress not only made big plays for his team, but made Eli Manning look a lot better than he would have otherwise by turning what would have been incompletions or interceptions into drive continuing completions. And, that obviously helped Manning's confidence, which allowed him to play better. As the season wore on, Burress became kind of a security blanket for Manning in tough situations because he knew he could throw the ball up in Burress' direction when his protection was breaking down and Burress would make a play on it. The impact that Burress had on Manning and the Giants' offense was evident in their last couple of games where the opposing defenses concentrated on taking Burress away in an effort to force Manning to look elsewhere. Burress got frustrated and, being the type of guy that he is, disappeared in those two games. And, as a result, Eli Manning struggled greatly, looking not all that unlike JP Losman as the Giants lost.

Now, I'm not saying that Martin Nance is or is going to be a Plaxico Burress--he's going to have to show that he has that kind of ability and bring it to the table on gamedays first. But, with his size, he has the potential to give the Bills' QBs that same kind of outlet receiver, that same kind of guy who can turn a bad throw into a catch, that Manning had in Burress last season. While Nance is still going to have to develop that potential into a consistent ability, if he can, if he can do that, his size can make him a player who will make the Bills' QBs better. In many discussions about JP Losman, comparisons have been made between Losman's development and that of Eli Manning: if you look at Losman as being a year behind Eli in development, in many ways, JP has performed similarly to Manning at the same level of development/experience (Eli stunk just as bad as JP in his first 8 games as a starter). I saw the positive effect that Burress had on Manning and on his game last season. If Nance can develop quickly, it is possible that he could have a similarly positive impact on JP and his game as this season progresses. Nance still has a long way to go, in developing his own game, to get to that point, but he is a guy with the size and potential to do that. I can't see throwing a guy like that overboard if he needs some more time to develop his route-running skills and other techniques that can be taught to keep a guy who is as polished as he is going to get and is going to make your team as its # 5 or # 6 WR (Wilson), even if the guy is a special teams demon (Aiken).

To me, Nance has already shown enough in the OTAs--it seems like he is making a big or pretty catch just about every day now in those sessions--that the Bills have to seriously consider him for a roster spot even before the pads go on. IMHO, if he continues to show the promise and improvement that he has shown thus far, the Bills should keep him if it comes down to him vs Aiken, Wilson or Freddy Smith.