PDA

View Full Version : Great Column by Jerry Sullivan

TigerJ
06-13-2006, 09:32 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060613/1037360.asp?tbd1037360.asp

Highlights: Losman bought a house in Buffalo (we knew that). He loves the city. Said he bought the house because he believes he'll be here. Had a great practice Monday, the best of the three top QBs. Feels relaxed, is reacting more quickly and thinking less.

Jerry Sullivan is not usually about fluff and blind optimism. This looks like what we hoped would happen to Losman. Let's hope it keeps up.

justasportsfan
06-13-2006, 09:47 AM
"He realizes the resentment it caused when he was handed the job a year ago. Losman knows he has to earn the job this time, and he seems ready for the challenge. "

He kinda lost that "swagger" in him last year when I watched his interviews this year. It's not like he's confident about being the no. 1 anymore. Having failed and having to compete to EARN the job has humbled him somewhat, IMO. When you watch him move at camp last year , he'd be smiling all the time and seem to be happy go lucky because he knew the job was his. Now there's concern written in his face and that's a good thing IMO. NOw he doesn't have Wyche to back him up. Whether he screwed up at camp or not, he knew the job was his. Now it isn't the case.

I think he'll be fine. His talent is there and seems like he's gaining the knowledge that can translate on the field.

Bill Cody
06-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Sullivan is a hack who has no more background in football than the average fan. I take anything he says good or bad with a grain of salt.

Mitchy moo
06-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Sullivan has his moments and if he thinks JP is coming along better, he has company.

Don't Panic
06-13-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't doubt Losman's commitment at all, and I know the kid has some talent. That alone should leave some with a sense of optimism when you look at the longview (yes, that means more than just this year) of his career.

The King
06-13-2006, 10:39 AM
He shouldve had to earn his job from the get go.

THATHURMANATOR
06-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Sullivan's softball team killed mine a couple weeks ago....

jmb1099
06-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Sullivan is a hack who has no more background in football than the average fan. I take anything he says good or bad with a grain of salt.
Said the pot about the kettle

The last buffalo fan
06-13-2006, 12:00 PM
First Felser, now Sullivan. The Kid is really getting better, I know it is ONLY mini camp, but it is a little reason for me, to cheer about. I'm not a season ticket holder, but yes, I'm willing to give this guy, a full season at the helm.

Bill Cody
06-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Said the pot about the kettle

LOL. But I don't get paid to publish my BS.

Michael82
06-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Great article! I usually can't stand Sullivan, but loved what he wrote. Not much has gotten me excited about this season so far, but if this is true and JP Losman is finally starting to get it and shine, I can't wait til training camp. It's going to be fun to watch.

PS.....

<param name="AllowScriptAccess" value="never" /><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=28&thours1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Buffalo Bills Training Camp Begins!!!&clr=0x0033FF&tseconds1=0"> <PARAM NAME=loop VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=menu VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=0x0033FF> <embed allowScriptAccess="never" src="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=28&thours1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Buffalo Bills Training Camp Begins!!!&clr=0x0033FF&tseconds1=0" loop=false menu=false quality=high bgcolor=0 WIDTH="257" HEIGHT="160" NAME="a" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED><br><a href="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/index.htm" target="_blank">Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com</a>

jmb1099
06-13-2006, 01:06 PM
LOL. But I don't get paid to publish my BS.
Think about that for a while...lol

EricStratton
06-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Perusing the roster Monday, I was struck by how few veterans there are on this team. Not one of the offensive starters was on the team three years ago. Looking on the field, I realize how little the organization evolved under Tom Donahoe.

This is the best part of the article IMO.

ublinkwescore
06-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Willis was on the roster 3 years ago - he just wasn't playing.

Bill Cody
06-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Think about that for a while...lol

Hey I have no illusions about my posts or anyone else's on this forum. Having said that I am quite confident I could write Jerry Sullivan's column better than he does and be less of a ***** about it. And I know I'm no expert.

ublinkwescore
06-13-2006, 01:59 PM
You know Drew's on the Cowboys now right.

Bill Cody
06-13-2006, 03:32 PM
You know Drew's on the Cowboys now right.

Yeah, I noticed their record got 3 games better and ours got 4 games worse also.

Jan Reimers
06-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I noticed their record got 3 games better and ours got 4 games worse also.
Yeah, Drew really had a miraculous season for the 'Boys, and I imagine - similar to what he did in Buffalo - that he will just keep getting better and better.

patmoran2006
06-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Sullivan's softball team killed mine a couple weeks ago....
Kenmore league team? We used to smack those cocky punks

patmoran2006
06-13-2006, 05:22 PM
We can spin the off-season anyway we want too.

There are TWO keys to the Bills being a much improved football team.

1- JP Losman EARNS the starting job and becomes productive consisently.
2- TKO makes a full return and gets back to the kind of player he was before the injury.

Nothing more, nothing less.

ublinkwescore
06-13-2006, 05:23 PM

Yeah, and he also made his fair share of F-ups too - like throwing an INT that was returned for a TD by the seahawks - which by the way put the game away for the seahawks.

cordog
06-13-2006, 05:31 PM
We can spin the off-season anyway we want too.

There are TWO keys to the Bills being a much improved football team.

1- JP Losman EARNS the starting job and becomes productive consisently.
2- TKO makes a full return and gets back to the kind of player he was before the injury.

Nothing more, nothing less.

The way they get better is if

1. O-Line improves
2. D-Line improves

patmoran2006
06-13-2006, 05:36 PM
The way they get better is if

1. O-Line improves
2. D-Line improves

JP becoming a threat in the pocket so teams dont stack 9 guys on the line to stop Willis = O LINE improves.

TKO being on the field and knocking heads all over the place = D Line benefits (and therefore improves)

Of course there are many "keys".. Those by FAR though are the biggest two

John Doe
06-13-2006, 06:16 PM
JP becoming a threat in the pocket so teams dont stack 9 guys on the line to stop Willis = O LINE improves.

TKO being on the field and knocking heads all over the place = D Line benefits (and therefore improves)

Of course there are many "keys".. Those by FAR though are the biggest two

It would be nice if Losman were to win the job and play well, and for Spikes to come back, but the season will not necessarily be lost if theses things do not occur.

patmoran2006
06-13-2006, 06:40 PM
You wanna make a bet on that?

A productive JP and a productive TKO = a solid chance for 6-8 wins..

JP losing the starting job and no TKO = 2-4 wins.

John Doe
06-13-2006, 07:04 PM
You wanna make a bet on that?

A productive JP and a productive TKO = a solid chance for 6-8 wins..

JP losing the starting job and no TKO = 2-4 wins.

Sorry, but I don't agree. I think that if JP wins the starting job over Holcomb, he will do it by a narrow margin meaning that there propably won't be that much difference in the effectiveness of their play this year.

Crowell's play last year was impressive. He is not Spikes, but he is pretty good and a nice fit for the defense.

There are good chances for success even without these 2.

ublinkwescore
06-13-2006, 07:25 PM
If Losman does take over for the year under center, he will, and I truely believe this, he will go on to be a probowl quality QB - we've seen the flashes already - now it's just up to him to stay healthy, and keep a clear head and not make bonehead decisions.

See KC and second Miami games for what we could have.

ublinkwescore
06-13-2006, 07:30 PM
One thing we also need to remember - our Oline couldn't possibly be worse this year than what it was last year.

I think we'll see more of the JP from the second Dolphins game and the KC game as a result - as opposed to the JP from the San Diego game (someone on here stated that he was the lone bright spot from that game - if dodging sack after sack makes you a bright spot, then this team was truely in trouble).

Bill Cody
06-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah, and he also made his fair share of F-ups too - like throwing an INT that was returned for a TD by the seahawks - which by the way put the game away for the seahawks.

That was a bad play. But he also led the NFL with 5 4th quarter come backs. Say whatever you want- Bledsoe is still a good player.

Tatonka
06-13-2006, 10:52 PM

drew is perfect for dallas.. as long as they are not looking for a qb capable of winning a superbowl.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-14-2006, 04:28 AM
Yes, it's a fluff piece, but, in some ways, a telling one.

We fans often rip players for not caring about their team or being committed to the place where they are playing and here is a young man who is making a financial and personal committment to the Bills and the City of Buffalo. And, that is good to see from a player who has a high profile and is going to get media attention, especially if he succeeds on the field. And, for a city and region that has had major economic and PR problems over the years, that can only be a good thing.

As for JP, himself, it sounds like he is gradually maturing as a person and a player. We all knew that he had the physical skills to be a good NFL QB when he was drafted. We all saw that he has a good work ethic by the amount of time and effort that he put in before last season and since. And, you had to figure that a kid who majored in Classics in college rather than something more athlete friendly (like Communications, PE, elementary basket-weaving, etc.) has a fair degree of intelligence.

What JP lacked--and demonstrated that he lacked last season--was maturity, decision-making, and the experience that makes the game slow down for a young player, which is especially important for a young QB. Prior to being drafted, JP was labeled as a kid who was still immature and some scouts said that because of this it would take him longer to develop than the other three top QBs in that draft. And, that assessment has proven to be true. He was also described as a "swashbuckler", a Brett Favre-type who would take big chances and make mistakes, but make up for them with his running and passing ability. Well, we've see the kind of arm and running ability that he has and we also got a pretty good taste of his poor decision-making at times last season. And, we also got to see how lost he looked and how much he felt he had to rush things because the speed of the NFL game was so much greater than he could handle because the game had not slowed down yet for him.

All of those things are things that take time for a young person, QB or not, to overcome and overcoming them only comes with time, learning and experience. There is no magic pill or formula that can give these things to a person overnight. And, there is no way of telling how long it will take for any given player to develop the ability to overcome these issues. The only thing that can be done is for the player to be humble, keep his frustrations under control, and keep working at it until these things start to come together.

The positive things that JP Losman has done is that he has kept his frustrations under control better and kept working at it. Last year obviously humbled him and, as has been pointed out, you can see it in his body language in the practice sessions. We all witnessed his displays of frustration on the field last season. He has not only improved on that, but, when his teammates openly criticized him and he was benched last year, he kept his mouth shut, he didn't whine or complain, and said the right things to keep from further alienating his teammates. Those things have put him in a position to compete for the starting job at QB again this season and, in the OTAs at least, he has shown that he has taken this as a challenge. That's a good sign and a sign of emerging maturity on his part. It states in the article that Losman said that "the action seemed to unfold more slowly than before" and that means that he is getting closer to that time when "the light bulb goes on" for a young QB (many NFL QBs have described experiencing a moment when, suddenly, the whole game slows down for them and it becomes like playing backyard football again when everything seems so simple and easy). And, that, too, is a good sign--a sign that Losman may be getting closer to the point where he begin to start to fulfill his potential as an NFL QB.

To me, the fact that JP has bought a house in Buffalo is a very good sign because it is a sign of a growing maturity (maybe not fully developed yet, but growing) and a determination to take on the challenge of having to compete for the Bills' starting QB job and win it. He is putting his money where his mouth is: betting the money that he put into that house, some of which he could lose, that he will be the Bills' starting QB job. And, that shows an underlying, more mature form of self-confidence within him. In the process, he is also making a strong committment to the Bills and to the Buffalo area as well. That committment is an additional sign of his growing maturity.

Bills fans should be able to appreciate that.

Now, it is up to JP Losman to show that, with this growing maturity and the slowing down of the game for him, he can make better decisions on the field that will allow him to perform up to the level that we Bills fans are hoping and, along with us the coaches, are expecting him to perform. That will be the real litmus test. There are signs, as pointed out in this article, that Losman may be slowly moving in that direction. He may not be there yet--indeed, like Favre, he may never be a QB who always makes the right decisions, but can overcome that with his playmaking ability--but it is good to see that he is moving in the right direction. If he keeps working at it, results will come sooner or later and if they come sooner, rather than later, the Bills just might end up with a pretty good NFL caliber QB. So, obviously, that's what I'm pulling for and hoping will happen.

Michael82
06-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Yes, it's a fluff piece, but, in some ways, a telling one.

We fans often rip players for not caring about their team or being committed to the place where they are playing and here is a young man who is making a financial and personal committment to the Bills and the City of Buffalo. And, that is good to see from a player who has a high profile and is going to get media attention, especially if he succeeds on the field. And, for a city and region that has had major economic and PR problems over the years, that can only be a good thing.

As for JP, himself, it sounds like he is gradually maturing as a person and a player. We all knew that he had the physical skills to be a good NFL QB when he was drafted. We all saw that he has a good work ethic by the amount of time and effort that he put in before last season and since. And, you had to figure that a kid who majored in Classics in college rather than something more athlete friendly (like Communications, PE, elementary basket-weaving, etc.) has a fair degree of intelligence.

What JP lacked--and demonstrated that he lacked last season--was maturity, decision-making, and the experience that makes the game slow down for a young player, which is especially important for a young QB. Prior to being drafted, JP was labeled as a kid who was still immature and some scouts said that because of this it would take him longer to develop than the other three top QBs in that draft. And, that assessment has proven to be true. He was also described as a "swashbuckler", a Brett Favre-type who would take big chances and make mistakes, but make up for them with his running and passing ability. Well, we've see the kind of arm and running ability that he has and we also got a pretty good taste of his poor decision-making at times last season. And, we also got to see how lost he looked and how much he felt he had to rush things because the speed of the NFL game was so much greater than he could handle because the game had not slowed down yet for him.

All of those things are things that take time for a young person, QB or not, to overcome and overcoming them only comes with time, learning and experience. There is no magic pill or formula that can give these things to a person overnight. And, there is no way of telling how long it will take for any given player to develop the ability to overcome these issues. The only thing that can be done is for the player to be humble, keep his frustrations under control, and keep working at it until these things start to come together.

The positive things that JP Losman has done is that he has kept his frustrations under control better and kept working at it. Last year obviously humbled him and, as has been pointed out, you can see it in his body language in the practice sessions. We all witnessed his displays of frustration on the field last season. He has not only improved on that, but, when his teammates openly criticized him and he was benched last year, he kept his mouth shut, he didn't whine or complain, and said the right things to keep from further alienating his teammates. Those things have put him in a position to compete for the starting job at QB again this season and, in the OTAs at least, he has shown that he has taken this as a challenge. That's a good sign and a sign of emerging maturity on his part. It states in the article that Losman said that "the action seemed to unfold more slowly than before" and that means that he is getting closer to that time when "the light bulb goes on" for a young QB (many NFL QBs have described experiencing a moment when, suddenly, the whole game slows down for them and it becomes like playing backyard football again when everything seems so simple and easy). And, that, too, is a good sign--a sign that Losman may be getting closer to the point where he begin to start to fulfill his potential as an NFL QB.

To me, the fact that JP has bought a house in Buffalo is a very good sign because it is a sign of a growing maturity (maybe not fully developed yet, but growing) and a determination to take on the challenge of having to compete for the Bills' starting QB job and win it. He is putting his money where his mouth is: betting the money that he put into that house, some of which he could lose, that he will be the Bills' starting QB job. And, that shows an underlying, more mature form of self-confidence within him. In the process, he is also making a strong committment to the Bills and to the Buffalo area as well. That committment is an additional sign of his growing maturity.

Bills fans should be able to appreciate that.

Now, it is up to JP Losman to show that, with this growing maturity and the slowing down of the game for him, he can make better decisions on the field that will allow him to perform up to the level that we Bills fans are hoping and, along with us the coaches, are expecting him to perform. That will be the real litmus test. There are signs, as pointed out in this article, that Losman may be slowly moving in that direction. He may not be there yet--indeed, like Favre, he may never be a QB who always makes the right decisions, but can overcome that with his playmaking ability--but it is good to see that he is moving in the right direction. If he keeps working at it, results will come sooner or later and if they come sooner, rather than later, the Bills just might end up with a pretty good NFL caliber QB. So, obviously, that's what I'm pulling for and hoping will happen.
Good post, but can you ever write a short one with only a few lines in it? :snicker:

:jk:

Bill Cody
06-14-2006, 11:10 AM
drew is perfect for dallas.. as long as they are not looking for a qb capable of winning a superbowl.

He's quite capable and he's going to have a great year in Dallas. He was knocked here because he got sacked a lot. We'd play better teams and he'd struggle because he had no time to throw. Losman got sacked at a higher rate last year than he ever did, Holcomb about the same and he's a dink and dunk guy so we can all see how unfair the criticism was now. Donahoe never gave Drew a chance here because he didn't give him a line. Period. Now all those guys are gone. No surprise. You say what you say to justify a million posts ripping the guy. That's fine, you like to play the "angry guy". I never bring him up now unless someone else does a typical cheap shot but sue me for still thinking he's a good player. Well good news- your guy is likely going to get another year to throw up all over himself. Losman may get to a SB but he'll have to pay admission.

ICE74129
06-14-2006, 01:43 PM
He's quite capable and he's going to have a great year in Dallas. He was knocked here because he got sacked a lot. We'd play better teams and he'd struggle because he had no time to throw. Losman got sacked at a higher rate last year than he ever did, Holcomb about the same and he's a dink and dunk guy so we can all see how unfair the criticism was now. Donahoe never gave Drew a chance here because he didn't give him a line. Period. Now all those guys are gone. No surprise. You say what you say to justify a million posts ripping the guy. That's fine, you like to play the "angry guy". I never bring him up now unless someone else does a typical cheap shot but sue me for still thinking he's a good player. Well good news- your guy is likely going to get another year to throw up all over himself. Losman may get to a SB but he'll have to pay admission.

Ok so you say Bledsoe got ripped because he didn't have time to throw and got sacked/ Pressured alot. The proceed to rip JP for the same circumstances AND has a ton less experience than Bledsoe does.

BTW the same GM that didn't give Bledsoe a line is the same guy that built the one that was in front of JP last year. If you are defending bledsoe with those arguements, you must defend JP as well.

Bill Cody
06-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Ok so you say Bledsoe got ripped because he didn't have time to throw and got sacked/ Pressured alot. The proceed to rip JP for the same circumstances AND has a ton less experience than Bledsoe does.

BTW the same GM that didn't give Bledsoe a line is the same guy that built the one that was in front of JP last year. If you are defending bledsoe with those arguements, you must defend JP as well.

Bledsoe is a vet but he had us at 9-7 and until the Pitt game the team was rolling even with the **** line. It's always easier to find decent linemen than it is to find a franchise QB IMO. I think JP can and will do better with a better line and more experience but I have my doubts whether it will be better enough. Ok?

Philagape
06-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Bledsoe got ripped because not only is he a statue, but he's a one-trick pony, makes bad decisions and needs perfect conditions to succeed. How does that make him better than 20 other QBs?

ICE74129
06-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Bledsoe is a vet but he had us at 9-7 and until the Pitt game the team was rolling even with the **** line. It's always easier to find decent linemen than it is to find a franchise QB IMO. I think JP can and will do better with a better line and more experience but I have my doubts whether it will be better enough. Ok?

I can't debate that. You have a valid point. JP might not be 'better enough'. But to make any presumtions based on 8 games, with that former staff, a team fielded by Donahoe etc, is just something that can't be done.

I personally think he can do it. Time will tell, but JP must have this entire season. 16 games, no pulling him. He has to learn to work through it.

Letting JP Have it is win win. He goes 4-12 we get a high draft pick. He goes 7-9 and is getting better, we have our QB. If we put in Holcomb and go 7-9 we acomplished nothing. We dont' know where we are QB wise because a backup played (who is getting older) and now have a mid range to low draft pick somewhere in the teens to 20's. So playing holcomb can hurt us more than one way.

Bill Cody
06-14-2006, 02:31 PM
I have said repeatedly we should play JP all 16.

RockStar36
06-14-2006, 03:00 PM

That was the season that they beat up on a lot of teams under .500 and then lost to Pittsburgh's 3rd string, right? That was the game where Bledsoe completely missed the blitz and basically handed the ball to the Steeler defender who returned it for a touchdown, right?

How long will it take before TO throws him under the bus? Let's have a poll for that.

ICE74129
06-14-2006, 03:01 PM
That was the season that they beat up on a lot of teams under .500 and then lost to Pittsburgh's 3rd string, right? That was the game where Bledsoe completely missed the blitz and basically handed the ball to the Steeler defender who returned it for a touchdown, right?

How long will it take before TO throws him under the bus? Let's have a poll for that.

Ummm Jenna....

Bill Cody
06-14-2006, 04:29 PM

LOL this is exactly what I'm talking about, mindless hate. I was at that game. Willie Parker was the 3rd stringer than ran for almost 200 against us. Backups or not Pitt played a good game but we really should have won it if Reed hadn't gotten a killer penalty and then Lindell hadn't gagged a 28 yarder, followed by a 73 yard run by Parker. That corner blitz for the sack/fumble was a great play by Pitt- I wish we still had Dick Lebeau here, the man is brilliant. And sub .500 or not we were thrashing teams. But as I said when we played better teams we didn't match up on the line. It is what it is. And BTW, TO is not throwing anyone under the bus, he's got his money and he's got a strong coach this time. After catching quails from Gaycia and McChunky he's going to love Bledsoe.

Philagape
06-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Bledsoe didn't "have us" anywhere in 2004. Our defense, ST and McGahee led us through a weak schedule. That's simply the way it happened.

Bill Cody
06-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Bledsoe didn't "have us" anywhere in 2004. Our defense, ST and McGahee led us through a weak schedule. That's simply the way it happened.

Right. Part of why the D was so dominant was the O did their share, scored points, held onto the ball and forced teams to play from behind. Everything about our offense was worse last year and it wasn't even close. And it all starts with the difference under center. But you wouldn't be able to see that because you head is too far up JP's butt.

TacklingDummy
06-15-2006, 11:08 AM
But you wouldn't be able to see that because you head is too far up JP's butt.

LMAO, so true, so true.

Bulldog
06-15-2006, 11:15 AM
LMAO, so true, so true.

Kind of like yours is stuck up Holscrubs!

TacklingDummy
06-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Kind of like yours is stuck up Holscrubs!

If your trying to say that Im all for having the open day starter be the QB that the Bills coaching staff thinks gives the best chance to win opening day, having my head up KH a$$, then you are right.

Bulldog
06-15-2006, 11:29 AM
If your trying to say that Im all for having the open day starter be the QB that the Bills coaching staff thinks gives the best chance to win opening day, having my head up KH a$$, then you are right.

I know, because this team is clearly built for deep run into the playoffs this year. Brilliant! And when did the Bills coaching staff say that Holscrub gave the team the best chance to win?

TacklingDummy
06-15-2006, 11:35 AM
I know, because this team is clearly built for deep run into the playoffs this year. Brilliant! And when did the Bills coaching staff say that Holscrub gave the team the best chance to win?

They didn't yet. And I didn't say they did. Whoever is opening day starter better be the QB the Bills coaching staff thinks gives them the best chance to win.

I hope to God they dont't say "JP needs to develop so we are going to start him", if JP is starter they better say "JP gives us the best chance to win opening day and that's why he was named starter".

Opening day is not for developing. This arguement is getting really old.

Bulldog
06-15-2006, 11:42 AM
They didn't yet. And I didn't say they did. Whoever is opening day starter better be the QB the Bills coaching staff thinks gives them the best chance to win.

I hope to God they dont't say "JP needs to develop so we are going to start him", if JP is starter they better say "JP gives us the best chance to win opening day and that's why he was named starter".

Opening day is not for developing. This arguement is getting really old.

So JP is supposed to develop in practice? Please! The only way to get VALUABLE experience is to play in the GAMES. Ya know, like the Giants did with Manning. I'm getting a little tired of people clamoring for a carreer back-up to be the starting QB on a team that is at least a couple years away from contending.

TacklingDummy
06-15-2006, 11:49 AM
So JP is supposed to develop in practice? Please! The only way to get VALUABLE experience is to play in the GAMES. Ya know, like the Giants did with Manning. I'm getting a little tired of people clamoring for a carreer back-up to be the starting QB on a team that is at least a couple years away from contending.

Week 1 of a NFL season is not for developing players.

If the Bills do indeed stink, like the way you have already written off this season, there will be plenty of time this year to put JP in and let him develop (That's if he's not already starter opening day because he won the job)

You know, sorta like how the Giants did with Manning?

Bulldog
06-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Week 1 of a NFL season is not for developing players.

If the Bills do indeed stink, like the way you have already written off this season, there will be plenty of time this year to put JP in and let him develop (That's if he's not already starter opening day because he won the job)

You know, sorta like how the Giants did with Manning?

And when Manning was inserted the Giants were 5-3. So your argument doesn't hold any water. It was all about developing the QB of the future. Which if Buffalo was smart, they would start that sooner than later. And do you honestly expect the Bills to vie for a playoff spot this year?

TacklingDummy
06-15-2006, 12:05 PM
. And do you honestly expect the Bills to vie for a playoff spot this year?

Honestly? NO. But im not for developing players until the bills prove that they stink. Never know, maybe they will start out 5-0 maybe they will start out 0-5. I just want the player who gives them the best chance to win be the starter opening day. Im optimistic that anything can happen.

Patrick76777
06-15-2006, 12:06 PM
And when Manning was inserted the Giants were 5-3. So your argument doesn't hold any water. It was all about developing the QB of the future. Which if Buffalo was smart, they would start that sooner than later. And do you honestly expect the Bills to vie for a playoff spot this year?

5-4, plus they had lost 3 of 4 against bad teams.

TacklingDummy
06-15-2006, 12:09 PM
And when Manning was inserted the Giants were 5-3. So your argument doesn't hold any water.

The Giants were 5-3 despite crappy play by Kurt Warner. They swiched to Manning because he couldn't do any worse then what Warner was doing.

They started Warner opening day because they felt Warner gave them the best chance to win.

Sorta like how the Bears did it last year, they were doing great and Orton sucked. When Grossman was healthy he came back in because he couldn't do any worse then Orton.

TacklingDummy
06-15-2006, 12:17 PM
And do you honestly expect the Bills to vie for a playoff spot this year?

Say the Bills name Holcomb starter and they start the season 5-0 and Holcomb plays good football. Would you admitt that starting KH was the right thing to do?

LifetimeBillsFan
06-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Good post, but can you ever write a short one with only a few lines in it? :snicker:

:jk:

No. (Short enough for ya? :lol:)