PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is turned upside by this quarterback situation

Mudflap1
06-13-2006, 02:45 PM
I haven't posted in a few weeks, but I've been reading consistently. Here are some things I've seen stated many times (I'm paraphrasing -- not quoting anyone specifically):

1. Losman shouldn't have been given the job unconditionally last year by the coaches.

2. Losman should be given the job unconditionally this year, all 16 games.

3. Holcomb is a waste of time, he shouldn't be given the opportunity to start, he is a has-been, never-will-be quarterback.

4. Losman struggled last year because the offensive line was bad, the coaching was bad, and many veterans quit on the team.

My advice to you all is RELAX! I think you are all turned around and obsessing with the wrong topic. I have three thoughts that need to be shared, and I believe they are the answer to how everyone should approach this QB derby:

1. I've said this before, there is a big difference between #1 overall draft picks such as Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, and John Elway, and comparing them to J.P. Losman. Losman is a late first round draft pick of a few years ago, drafted by a GM that had made notoriously controveral moves (Donahoe). It has been stated that Losman deserves the same leeway that these #1 overall QB's received (at least one full season starting, no benching). The reason these former #1 overall's received that treatment was because they were seen as "can't miss" prospects, hence why they went #1 overall. They were given huge paydays, and were all drafted by teams that were terrible. Hence, there was no point in NOT starting them all 16 games. Losman came into his situation drafted late in the first round (why is that relevant? There is a big difference in terms of hype and talent with #24 overall and #1 overall). Losman was drafted by a team that many thought was not in dire straits, but was on the rise. This is why it was mind-boggling that he was given unconditional reigns of the team without earning it last year. This team was thought to be a playoff-caliber team, not a 1-15-type team.

2. Holcomb is neither the franchise quarterback of the future, nor the worst quarterback ever to don a Bills uniform. He's somewhere in the middle. He's got mediocre physical skills and slightly above average ability to read defenses. For those who say a veteran backup/journeyman can never be a good quarterback, anybody remember Rich Gannon? That guy was 2nd and 3rd string all his life, then he fell into a good situation in Oakland with a good coach. Turned into a Pro Bowl QB. Furthermore, for those that state that Losman had a bad offensive line, bad coaching, etc. last year, Holcomb had to deal with all of those factors as well.

3. This all being said, I want Losman to win the job. But he has to earn it. Holcomb is like a fixed variable. You know he is going to complete about 65% of his passes, throw for between 175-225 yards a game, dump-off a lot of passes, and have about 1 TD and 1 INT per game. Frankly, if the offensive line, running game, and defense can come together, those numbers are good enough from our QB. As a matter of fact, I remember a certain Hall of Fame quarterback on this team having numbers very similar to those the last 3-4 years of his career, and things worked out pretty well for us then.

I am in no way comparing Holcomb to Jim Kelly however. But, the point is, if the REST of the team is built correctly, a guy like Holcomb can be okay, steady, in this offense, and this team can be a playoff team. I don't care if he wasn't successful in Indy, Cleveland, or wherever. The guy has been on bad teams his whole career, but has shown he can move the chains and make some plays when given the opportunity.

However, Losman has more upside. He has a bigger arm, quicker feet, and arguably more ability to read defenses (we just don't know, he's untapped). If Losman can't win the job on his own though, he doesn't deserve it. He's not Eli Manning or Alex Smith, making $10,000,000 a year plus signing bonuses. He's a late first round pick making $1 million or $2 million, or whatever. He was a controversial pick. A lot of people thought he was bust material in the draft. Heck, San Diego is nervous about handing their team over to Philip Rivers, who was a top 5 pick. We should be feeling good about giving Losman the job this year unconditionally without him having to earn it, after last year's debacle? I don't think so.

Again, we know what Holcomb is going to produce. Losman just has to match and/or beat that, then the job is his. If he's throwing out 7-15, 75 yards, 2 INT, 3 sacks as his stats, he deserves to ride the bench. I think even J.P. Losman himself will attest to that.

The real truth though is, with the right team built around them, either quarterback should be able to succeed. A good running game with a good offensive line and an improved defense will go such as long way. If that can happen, it doesn't matter who we have in there, both guys will be able to run the offense, in my opinion.

In summary, everyone take a deep breath. The coaches are doing the right thing. Let the best man win. Everyone's going to get a fair shake. This is the NFL, and we have no #1 overall draft pick quarterbacks on this team. Nobody is making so much money or has so much more potential than the next guy that they deserve to be coddled and babied. But, most importantly, if the team is built correctly, both will be suitable to run this offense.

Let nature take it's course.

Jon

justasportsfan
06-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Why does everyone want posters to relax about certain topics ? It's a message board. If someone wants to disuss the janitor of the bills, they can . The qb position is an undecided issue. Even if it's decided performance, comparison again will come up unltil we finally have an undisputed franchise qb.

Mudflap1
06-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Some people on this board are content to go about debating back and forth about scenarios, and that's fine, but some people are downright out to hate Losman or Holcomb, and I'm just saying I think that is the wrong way to go about assessing the situation. It's not even really about the quarterbacks as much as it's about the whole package -- the line, the running game, the defense, the coaching. If those are in place, the quarterback situation will not be a problem.

Jon

justasportsfan
06-13-2006, 03:22 PM
I agree Jon. A topic however is as old as the person reading it. If someone feels he needs to beat the dead horse, he should have a shot at it no matter how many times he repeats himself.

BTw, who's better DF or RJ? :bullseye:

PS I agree. Why does one who isn't impressed w/ KH have to be called a Losman fan or vice-versa?

LifetimeBillsFan
06-14-2006, 03:10 AM
Some people on this board are content to go about debating back and forth about scenarios, and that's fine, but some people are downright out to hate Losman or Holcomb, and I'm just saying I think that is the wrong way to go about assessing the situation. It's not even really about the quarterbacks as much as it's about the whole package -- the line, the running game, the defense, the coaching. If those are in place, the quarterback situation will not be a problem.

Jon

Extremely well put!!! I could not agree with you more. Excellent post!!!

Mudflap1
06-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks man.

Jon