• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Dolphin Love Fest

There is a Dolphin love fest on ESPN Insider if you have a subscription. I will try to place a link but I am ******ed when it comes to computers so it probably won't work. Could you let me know if it works?

And screw the Dolphins
    The Dolphins finished 2005 with a flourish. Gary Horton examines whether they're ready to supplant New England atop the AFC East.
  • Nublar7
    • Oct 2004

Re: Dolphin Love Fest

Link works.

Good and accurate article.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
      • Mar 2004

The funny thing is, is that they (the vets/team) don't give a good gosh darn about the late wins. In a press conference, I believe it was Jason Taylor that said "that was last year, and that doesn't affect what they were doing this year," (my paraphrase.) The late run was in the past. IMO I'm sure it helps the morale, but I'm glad that the only peeps worrying about it, are those that don't control the Dolphins season--the media and the fans. Who cares what the media says, positive or negative. Speaking of positive or negative, it is funny that the ESPN article about Vick was brought up, but there was never a slight mention about the EARLY success that Culpepper has been having in his recovery (which has been plastered everywhere.) WHo knows what will happen, but I'm glad the current situation with him and his healing process has been quite positive. So I guess being this is on a BIlls site, I expect to see the bad, and have the positive forgotten, but such is life. AS I said before, I don't care what is said, positive or negative, I just hope the Dolphins focus on improvement on all facets of their play at all times, of course. And also that the road to success still goes through New England.

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

If I'm a Dolphin fan, I'm worried about this team being full of itself. Everybody said the exact same thing about the Bills a couple of years back and they come out and bombed the next year. I like Culpepper, but he had a better team in Minnesota for a couple of years, oh and Moss and they never did anything. You can't ignore that fact. Also, the Dolphins defense is not great...they lost some talent on that side of the ball and are trying to fill it with question marks. So, it really doesn't seem like a slamdunk for me that this team is the next coming of the Patriots. In fact, the thought of being overrated could be creeping into many fans minds. However, if you're a Dolphin fan, it is exciting to see your team getting the props...it is fun. I know I enjoyed the props the national media gave Buffalo a couple of years back.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
          • Mar 2004

In regards to the defense (nine returning starters):

Players lost--

In the secondary: Sam Madison, Lance Schulters, Tebucky Jones, and Reggie Howard. All of them (except Howard,) were once great players that have all lost a step. I was a big fan of Schulters when he was here last season, but he just doesn't have the wheels anymore, in fact the whole secondary was pretty lethargic. No matter how complex Saban's coverages are, if you don't have the right talent to execute them, then changes have to be made. With some of the new additions (granted they may not have wowed anyone at their original residences,) are a lot speedier and also there is a luxury of flexibility with Renaldo Hill and rookie Jason Allen (ran a 4.39 w/o pads of course,) having the ability to play both corner and safety. Also Will Poole is coming back at corner from a knee injury, but had a good rookie season, and a promising upside before the injury.

Linebackers--
          Losses in the linebacker position--Junior Seau. I'm sorry to see him go, since he was still solid, but I think his time in the NFL is over.

There was a lot of discussion that Zach Thomas would be too undersized to excell in Saban's system. 158 combined tackles, two sacks, four forced fumbles, one interception, and another trip to the Pro Bowl (dodn't play,) and it seems like the old timer is able to still prove doubters wrong. Channing Crowder had a very nice rookie season, coming in at second for the Dolphins in tackles. Even with playing with a bad foot injury (plantar fascia(?) sp) Jason Taylor was able to disrupt offenses by playing as an outside linebacker, but still succeeding as a RE as well coming in at third for the Dolphins in tackles, plus 12 sacks, two fumble recoveries, one of those returned for a TD, tying the NFL record. Which takes me to the defensive line.
          There are some veterans in this group, but also fused with some youngsters. The vets --Jason Taylor, Kevin Carter, Vonnie Holliday, and Keith Traylor, tied the franchise record of 49 sacks, 2nd in the NFL, missing the league lead by one. Keith Traylor isn't getting younger by a long shot, so there needs to be better depth at NT, hopefully some of the youngsters in Manny Wright and Kevin Vickerson can be rotated in to help out. Also rookies of Fred Evans and Rod Wright (who will probably be on IR, after his shoulder injury,) will contribute in the future.

Another important factor for the defense, is that they are now in the second year of the 3-4, 4-3 hybrid. A complex defense that is now becoming familiar, so now they will be comfortable in adding even more wrinkles. Also, a coach that others have stated is a excellent and well experienced teacher of the 3-4, Dom Capers, has been added to the staff, rekindling a long relationship with Saban.

Please show me where the Dolphins are getting full of themselves. I myself provided an example of Jason Taylor talking about how the run last year didn;t affect him. He said that they were still at home watching the Super Bowl, just like everyone else. He compared that situation to the year before when they went 4-12, and they didn't let that affect them in the 2005 season. Saban got a lot of flak when people misunderstood what he said about not caring about how many points are on the scoreboard. It's all about the process and focusing on the job at hand. To take a quote from a season review magazine: "...the point is that Saban understands that you have to know what you're doing before you can do it. The Dolphins also had to learn to play with consistent effort to learn how to win."

The Dolphins still have a lot to work on. But unlike the regime before, the road to success seems to at least a little clearer now.

One last tidbit on the Culpepper thing. Take these as excuses if you like, but don't forget that four of Culpepper's losses were against later playoff teams. Moss is a future HOF'er, but don't forget that it took someone to toss him the ball. Who knows how great his numbers would've been, if he didn't have Culpepper to throw to him either? Culpepper has his faults, but I'm glad we have him here. It's the first time in a long time that we actually have a QB to be excited about since Marino retired.
          Last edited by !Papacrunk!; 06-13-2006, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by !Papacrunk!
            In regards to the defense (nine returning starters):

Players lost--

In the secondary: Sam Madison, Lance Schulters, Tebucky Jones, and Reggie Howard. All of them (except Howard,) were once great players that have all lost a step. I was a big fan of Schulters when he was here last season, but he just doesn't have the wheels anymore, in fact the whole secondary was pretty lethargic. No matter how complex Saban's coverages are, if you don't have the right talent to execute them, then changes have to be made. With some of the new additions (granted they may not have wowed anyone at their original residences,) are a lot speedier and also their is a luxury of flexibility with Renaldo Hill and rookie Jason Allen (ran a 4.39 w/o pads of course,) having the ability to play both corner and safety. Also Will Poole is coming back at corner from a knee injury, but had a good rookie season, and a promising upside before the injury.

Linebackers--
            Losses in the linebacker position--Junior Seau. I'm sorry to see him go, since he was still solid, but I think his time in the NFL is over.

There was a lot of discussion that Zach Thomas would be too undersized to excell in Saban's system. 158 combined tackles, two sacks, four forced fumbles, one interception, and another trip to the Pro Bowl (dodn't play,) and it seems like the old timer is able to still prove doubters wrong. Channing Crowder had a very nice rookie season, coming in at second for the Dolphins in tackles. Even with playing with a bad foot injury (plantar fascia(?) sp) Jason Taylor was able to disrupt offenses by playing as an outside linebacker, but still succeeding as a RE as well coming in at third for the Dolphins in tackles, plus 12 sacks, two fumble recoveries, one of those returned for a TD, tying the NFL record. Which takes me to the defensive line.
            There are some veterans in this group, but also fused with some youngsters. The vets --Jason Taylor, Kevin Carter, Vonnie Holliday, and Keith Traylor, tied the franchise record of 49 sacks, 2nd in the NFL, missing the league lead by one. Keith Traylor isn't getting younger by a long shot, so there needs to be better depth at NT, hopefully some of the youngsters in Manny Wright and Kevin Vickerson can be rotated in to help out. Also rookies of Fred Evans and Rod Wright (who will probably be on IR, after his shoulder injury,) will contribute in the future.

Another important factor for the defense, is that they are now in the second year of the 3-4, 4-3 hybrid. A complex defense that is now becoming familiar, so now they will be comfortable in adding even more wrinkles. Also, a coach that others have stated is a excellent and well experienced teacher of the 3-4, Dom Capers, has been added to the staff, rekindling a long relationship with Saban.

Please show me where the Dolphins are getting full of themselves. I myself provided an example of Jason Taylor talking about how the run last year didn;t affect him. He said that they were still at home watching the Super Bowl, just like everyone else. He compared that situation to the year before when they went 4-12, and they didn't let that affect them in the 2005 season. Saban got a lot of flak when people misunderstood what he said about not caring about how many points are on the scoreboard. It's all about the process and focusing on the job at hand. To take a quote from a season review magazine: "...the point is that Saban understands that you have to know what you're doing before you can do it. The Dolphins also had to learn to play with consistent effort to learn how to win."

The Dolphins still have a lot to work on. But unlike the regime before, the road to success seems to at least a little clearer now.

One last tidbit on the Culpepper thing. Take these as excuses if you like, but don't forget that four of Culpepper's losses were against later playoff teams. Moss is a future HOF'er, but don't forget that it took someone to toss him the ball. Who knows how great his number could be if he didn't have Culpepper to throw to him either? Culpepper has his faults, but I'm glad we have him here. It's the first time in a long time that we actually have a QB to be excited about since Marino retired.
            True enough.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Nighthawk
              If I'm a Dolphin fan, I'm worried about this team being full of itself. Everybody said the exact same thing about the Bills a couple of years back and they come out and bombed the next year. I like Culpepper, but he had a better team in Minnesota for a couple of years, oh and Moss and they never did anything. You can't ignore that fact. Also, the Dolphins defense is not great...they lost some talent on that side of the ball and are trying to fill it with question marks. So, it really doesn't seem like a slamdunk for me that this team is the next coming of the Patriots. In fact, the thought of being overrated could be creeping into many fans minds. However, if you're a Dolphin fan, it is exciting to see your team getting the props...it is fun. I know I enjoyed the props the national media gave Buffalo a couple of years back.
              I agree with most of these points.. If I'm a Miami fan, the reason I'm a lot more excited REALISTICALLY than when it was Buffalo on that end, is that Saban is a MUCH better head coach than Mularkey.. Saban can handle players, personnel decisions and game day decisions.. Mularkey was IMO the very worst game-day coach this town has ever seen, and we had a couple bad coaches in our history.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• feelthepain
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                I agree with most of these points.. If I'm a Miami fan, the reason I'm a lot more excited REALISTICALLY than when it was Buffalo on that end, is that Saban is a MUCH better head coach than Mularkey.. Saban can handle players, personnel decisions and game day decisions.. Mularkey was IMO the very worst game-day coach this town has ever seen, and we had a couple bad coaches in our history.

The Bills also lost a lot of talent from 04 to 05 and did "NOTHING" to replace it, the Dolphins have upgraded from 05 to 06 and yes Saban is a much better HC. However the book is still out on MM remember you had TD as the GM that for sure had an effect on MM second season. MM took the Bills from 6 wins to 9 wins his first season and then TD dumped a bunch of talent in 05, plus the Bills key injuries in 05. I think till the Bills land a franchise QB they will struggle.

As for the fins everything a winning team needs to do from one season to the next Miami is doing. They won't win the SB this year, but they have a good shot at the division and an excellent shot at the playoffs. Saban won't allow the team to be arrogant and he won't allow them to lose confidence when times get tough, he will maintain an even attitude. You can hear it in JT's comments. With the upgrade in talent and the superb caoching down in Miami we are a team on the rise and we will give the Pats are run for the division. If the fins continue to imnprove and there is no reason to believe they won't with a little luck, Miam could be SB contenders next year.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                  • Mar 2005

Thanks for the link!!

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

IMO the Dolphins are trying to build a team through FA, and that has been proven to not work well.

The best way to build a team is through the draft, and Miami has traded a few picks away the last few years to accomodate FA acquisitions

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

It's always nice to here some insight from another team's fans perspective. Thanks. But me being a Bills fan, I still hope they fall flat on their face. Realisticaly speaking though, it will probably be Buffalo that falls down this year, but it won't hurt too bad since we are already on our knees. (not a sexual inuendo)

The Phin's do seem to have the only sqaud in the East this year that will seriously give the Patsies a run for their money.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

nobody gives a rats ass about a miami sausage fest.
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• feelthepain
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                          IMO the Dolphins are trying to build a team through FA, and that has been proven to not work well.

The best way to build a team is through the draft, and Miami has traded a few picks away the last few years to accomodate FA acquisitions
                          Miami added quite a few FA, yes. We also have had two solid drafts, the last two seasons. Last year our first four picks in the draft contributed nicely, and we had several others that made strides, M.Wright, K.Vickerson (before his injury)A.Alabi (before he was injured). This year we traded our 2nd for Culpepper.....no brainer!!! Our 5th was used on M.Wright last year, our 6th was for Cleo Lemon a solid 3rd QB. Saban inherited a mess from DW, and it will take a few years to get things strait.

I'm thrilled with what Saban's done so far. We have depth at nearly every position in just his second season, we have really upgraded the secondary in the last two years as a whole and will be a force this year, the Dline was tops in the league last year and shouldn't change this year. We have a nice rotation of veteran leadership and youth to rotate on the Dline.

We also have upgraded a solid Oline with more Depth then last year with the additons of LJ Shelton (LT) and former Jag standout Mike Person, Rex Hadnot has moved to center and it 's a better fit for him because of his nasty disposition. 1st round pick Vernon Carey has steadily improved and came into his third season bigger and stronger then ever he's found a home at the RT position. Jeno James and S.McKinney complete the Oline and both had better seasons then the prvious year under the tutelage of probably the best Oline coach in the league, Hudson Houck.

Miami has made huge strides in being an all around better team through FA and the draft, plus we had some talent when Saban arrived. while we may not be a SB contender this year, Saban has a plan and he's executing it with the percision of a surgeon. Give Miami another year under Sabans direction and we should be ready to be an elite team. Possibly SB contenders, but one things for sure this team will not be taking a step backwards anytime soon.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                            nobody gives a rats ass about a miami sausage fest.
                            Well, positive or negative, there always seems to be at least 3 Dolphins related threads on the main board at all times, so it seems like there are some people that care enough, lol.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                              • Sep 2003

Four words, Fin fans: Bennie Anderson, Mike Mullarkey. Be sure to and get your Super Bowl tickets early.

PTR
                              10 Commandments of the D
                              1. Never stop Rocking.
                              2. Legalize all drugs.
                              3. Quit your day job.
                              4. All Religion should be taxed.
                              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                              6. F**k her gently.
                              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X