PDA

View Full Version : 40 Player turn over, and the Right Releases...

bigbub2352
06-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Marv Levy has taken heat and critisim about his draft and FA signings, but what he has done in my opinion at least makes it an interesting off season.

1. He cut all the right players, there is not one guy we cut from the overpaid TD era that i wish we could have back

2. All the players we have signed are young and have the chance to develop under a very educated HC, and GM, plus even though they were not headliner FA, the moves on the OL are an immediate improvement over the bums that were there last year

3. His Draft even though thought of the as a reach could very well produce 5-6 starters in the next 2 years, and if anything we drafted some very good college athletes with speed and charachter

4. Does not care what so called experts say and continues to add players he thinks are coachable and have upside and SPEED.

5. Aggressive and have a plan in place to try and turn this dismal franchise around, he is doing something that TD didnt and that is bring players in that fit the system

All in all i have been a fan of this offseason, and anytime u bring in 40 new faces you can at least say that the Bills are going to be a better team, Truth be told we were 5-11 last year and changes needed to be made and that is exactly what he did

NorthCarBills
06-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Well said...I couldn't agree more. While I'm not overly optimistic that we'll contend for much this year, Marv and Dick have set a promising foundation. The young, high character and atheletic talent put in place this off-season gives me more reason to believe that the Bills are in a position to succeed (as compared to the choices made during TD's era).

bigbub2352
06-14-2006, 09:26 AM
He is loading the roster with guys that are trying to make names for themselves in the league that is always good for competition and it is not full of aging players trying to squeek out a few more NFL paychex

HHURRICANE
06-14-2006, 09:37 AM
I like this post as long as everyone stays cautious. This team will be lucky to have 6-7 wins. Matter-of-fact a 7 win season would be great. Here are the positives as I see for the upcoming season that aren't related to wins:

1) QB situation should be resolved once and for all.

2) Our OL is and should be better.

3) McGahee is in at his optimum weight. If he plays great than we will franchise him or sign him longer term. If not bye-bye.

4) Defense will transition to new scheme this year. I believe our D is a bigger question mark than our offense so look for us to try alot of things regarding personnel.

I think we come out of this season very excited and than we can talk playoffs and SB. Patience is the key!!

ublinkwescore
06-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Well said...I couldn't agree more. While I'm not overly optimistic that we'll contend for much this year, Marv and Dick have set a promising foundation. The young, high character and atheletic talent put in place this off-season gives me more reason to believe that the Bills are in a position to succeed (as compared to the choices made during TD's era).

I don't expect us to contend this year either, it's all a matter of how long it takes our Defense to gel with some of the new faces - Triplett, McCargo, Whitner, Watson if he sees time (IMO I think after training camp, we're gonna have to find a way to get this guy out onto the field - even if it means cutting/benching Posey).

I won't be surprised to see us wrap up the last half of our season with more wins than losses.

I fully expect our Special Teams to be great yet again this year - especially with new faces like Youboty and Simpson eager to win the favor of the coaches. I think they could make Coy Wire and Sam Aiken expendable, all the while making our team that much younger.

bigbub2352
06-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I also agree that some of those depth players like sam and coy could go and be replaced, also i am in full support of replacing posey i think at best we are heading in the right direction

ICE74129
06-14-2006, 01:25 PM
My concerns still lie with DL and LB. LB corp is getting a little old, and Spikes will never be the same spikes again. We could end up replacing all 3 in the next 2 years.

I am not sold on our DL out side of Schobel and Tripplet.

QB, Bottom line, JP has to be the man this year and find out what we have. If he isn't it, we are in trouble. Marv and DJ better be willing to spend greatly to get a QB in here this next offseason if JP isn't it

bigbub2352
06-14-2006, 02:20 PM
LB in my opinion is a definite position of strength, Posey aside u have 4 young LB's waiting Watson, Crowell, Haggan, Ezkeil, and Stamer plus Keith Ellison so i wouldnt worry to much about our aging guys, all indications are that TKO is gonna come back 100% but him at 80% is better than most in the league anyway, I agree with the DL especially if we go out and start Anderson and Denney that wouls stink, that very well could be our 1st rd pick next year assuming someone pans out at QB spot, we will see but it seems like Marv is stocking young talent and that can only help, alot of the guys on the roster last year were bums overpaid and underacheving

patmoran2006
06-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Marv Levy has taken heat and critisim about his draft and FA signings, but what he has done in my opinion at least makes it an interesting off season.

1. He cut all the right players, there is not one guy we cut from the overpaid TD era that i wish we could have back

2. All the players we have signed are young and have the chance to develop under a very educated HC, and GM, plus even though they were not headliner FA, the moves on the OL are an immediate improvement over the bums that were there last year

3. His Draft even though thought of the as a reach could very well produce 5-6 starters in the next 2 years, and if anything we drafted some very good college athletes with speed and charachter

4. Does not care what so called experts say and continues to add players he thinks are coachable and have upside and SPEED.

5. Aggressive and have a plan in place to try and turn this dismal franchise around, he is doing something that TD didnt and that is bring players in that fit the system

All in all i have been a fan of this offseason, and anytime u bring in 40 new faces you can at least say that the Bills are going to be a better team, Truth be told we were 5-11 last year and changes needed to be made and that is exactly what he did

Good post.. Who knows yet if his offseason moves will result in improvement or become an ever bigger joke around the league.

But he has made this off season very interesting to say the least.

ICE74129
06-14-2006, 04:59 PM
LB in my opinion is a definite position of strength, Posey aside u have 4 young LB's waiting Watson, Crowell, Haggan, Ezkeil, and Stamer plus Keith Ellison so i wouldnt worry to much about our aging guys, all indications are that TKO is gonna come back 100% but him at 80% is better than most in the league anyway, I agree with the DL especially if we go out and start Anderson and Denney that wouls stink, that very well could be our 1st rd pick next year assuming someone pans out at QB spot, we will see but it seems like Marv is stocking young talent and that can only help, alot of the guys on the roster last year were bums overpaid and underacheving

Yeah but other than crowell all are still unproven. It still worries me

ublinkwescore
06-14-2006, 07:06 PM
I thought Courtney Watson was on his way to a big career down in N'awlins.

YardRat
06-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Nice thread :D

Turf
06-14-2006, 10:32 PM
If you can imagine I stole Pat's avatar for a second...

We're going to win the division!!!!!!

I really believe that.

Amazing year ahead of us.

BADTHINGSMAN
06-14-2006, 11:11 PM

:up: Nice post, good read..

MVP
06-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Damn I wish Marv and Dick were here for the last 5-6 years.

bigbub2352
06-15-2006, 09:40 AM
The depth at LB is better than having rookies there, at least these guys have played as a unit for 3 years, Anyway you look at it we got rid of most of the do nothing players, and the only move that i cant understand so far is the re-signing of Reed, Denney i can see he comes cheap plays ok against the run and can play both sides as well as DT on pass rush plus still young enough to improve, but Reed i think so far is the only thing i dont understand we could have done better there and i hope Wilson and Nance can take his roster spot