PDA

View Full Version : McGahee Loses Bulk

MVP
06-15-2006, 06:42 AM
The Buffalo Bills' embattled starting running back, Willis McGahee, showed up at the team's mandatory mini-camp this week weighing a few pounds lighter than he did last season. The former first-round pick is currently tipping the scale at about 225 pounds, which is a good weight for a starting ball-carrier. McGahee has more than enough talent to carry the load in the pros, but his commitment has been questioned in the past.
Last season, the former University of Miami star disappointed many who expected him to emerge as an elite NFL runner. He ended up with a solid 1,247 yards; however, his five touchdowns and 3.8 yards per carry left many Bills fans disappointed, since they were hoping to ride him to their first postseason since 1999.
McGahee's commitment to football shouldn't be questioned, since he spent over a year recovering from a brutal knee injury he suffered in his final college game with the Hurricanes. In that National Championship Game against the Ohio State Buckeyes, McGahee took a hit from safety Will Allen. That hit tore three different ligaments in McGahee's knee, and many believed his days of playing football had ended. However, he was able to rehab his knee and become just as strong as ever.
The reason McGahee's being questioned in Buffalo has to do with his attitude towards playing with the Bills. The conspiracy theorists came out last year when McGahee looked too bulky, too slow and too hesitant to hit holes at the line of scrimmage. Those people believed McGahee wasn't going full-speed on purpose, in order to escape from the cold conditions of Western New York. Only McGahee knows the truth, but his performance did, indeed, leave much to be desired in 2005.
McGahee hasn't necessarily helped his own cause of late, either. The 24-year-old showed up in Buffalo to work out with a few teammates back in February, but missed all of the team's optional mini-camps this spring. Although those team activities weren't required, the fact that he didn't appear at any was somewhat startling. In fact, McGahee was the only member of the Bills to not show up for any organized team activities.
Throughout the ordeal that has been the offseason, McGahee insisted that he was working out in Miami with former college teammates. Well, he proved everyone right, including yours truly, by entering the Bills' camp in terrific shape. Now that he's silenced many critics, McGahee is zeroing in on punishing opposing defenses this season.
At Miami, McGahee showcased the ability to not only bruise defenders, but blow by them with blazing speed. The main problem with him in '05 was his perceived lack of speed every week. That doesn't mean McGahee was slow; it just means he wasn't as fast as he could have been.
If the Bills' No. 1 back is willing to utilize his speed and talents to the fullest next season, he could join his friends and former Miami star runners, the <ACRONYM title="Arizona Cardinals News">Arizona Cardinals</ACRONYM> ' Edgerrin James and the <ACRONYM title="Washington Redskins News">Washington Redskins</ACRONYM> ' Clinton Portis, who have emerged as elite NFL backs. With an improved Bills offensive line, there's no reason McGahee can't do it.
Undoubtedly, 2006 will be a telling year for McGahee. There will be a continued belief that he lacks the character to play for Marv Levy's Buffalo Bills, unless he can be a model teammate and gain big yardage, which he's supposed to do.
However, there is a downside to a big season in Buffalo for McGahee. Huge numbers will lead to a likely contract holdout from the three-year veteran next offseason, who is represented by the league's most infamously money-hungry agent, Drew Rosenhaus. For Bills fans, that may end up being a good problem to have.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/06/willis-mcgahee-bills150606.html

ublinkwescore
06-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Yes, that would be a good problem to have - then we can just cut his @$$, and get another one in the draft, or pick up a FA.

Patti120
06-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Just the old friendly (ugly) reminder.

http://www.break.com/index/mcgahee.html

ICE74129
06-15-2006, 08:28 AM
I say let his ass put up about 1800 yards rushing, 400 receiving and about 17 total TD's. then trade his ass and draft his replacement

KMA
06-15-2006, 05:43 PM
I say let his ass put up about 1800 yards rushing, 400 receiving and about 17 total TD's. then trade his ass and draft his replacement
What, did we trade him to Denver or New England?

HTH is he going to pile up 1800? He'll be lucky to "pile up" 1,300 behind this line this season.

He hasn't hit 1,300 yet which Henry did twice and this year's line isn't going to be any better than the years that he didn't get that.

MVP
06-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Henry also got the ball more than 10 times a game. (MM wasn't his coach!)

GvilleBills
06-16-2006, 09:07 PM
I say let the season play out first. If he hits it big in Buffalo, he will be a hero. He seems somewhat child-like sometimes, and kids like attention. If he is the big man about town here, it might help him staying. I have no problems w/ Willis if he is in shape and playing hard. I'm sure that he would rather be playing in a warmer climate, but those teams have their backs of the present and future.

GvilleBills
06-16-2006, 09:11 PM
I hate Drew just like everyone else, and I don't think his style will mesh very well w/ this front office incarnation. That alone is likely to turn negotiations sour.