• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Our New O-line

I am intersted to here everyones opinion on our new look O-line.

I think that it has been inproved by Levy since last years sorry excuse for an O-line. Just getting rid of Bennie Anderson improves us. Addition by subtraction! Not to take anything away from Tutan Reyes, but Anderson was the weakest link last year. With the loss of Teague we also improved with the addition of Melvin Fowler. I think that we are in a much better position this year and it will help the QB and especially McGahee.

Who knows, this team that Levy has put together for his first tenure as our GM may just suprise a few teams as well as us devoted fans!
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Re: Our New O-line

I think our line will be better, but not stellar. Kind of depends how hungry guys like Reyes, Peters, and Fowler are, and what McNally can get them to do.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Gunzlingr
      • Jul 2002

I forgot Gibson.
      You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Mudflap1
        Next Question!
        • Nov 2004

Well, the line can't be much worse than it's been. That being said, I think this group might turn out okay. I'm still not thrilled about Gandy -- he's average at best, but at least he's not awful. Reyes and Fowler are about average now, but they may be hitting the point in the careers where they might start to take the next step. Peters was a pleasant surprise last year, but he wasn't an all-world tackle like some on here think he is. Hopefully he'll take the next step also. Villarial is actually better than a lot of people give him credit for, he just gets hurt too much.

Jon

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

I just have a feeling that these current guys are going to play up to the standard that McNally will set. And if they do, our offense won't be as ****ty as last year, no matter who is taking the ball from the center's ass.

Comment

• BigGabes23
            • Mar 2006

Keep in mind how HORRIBLE the play calling was last year. It made a bad line look worse....

That being said, I hope that Reyas and Fowler come in with a chip on their shoulder, and that Peters continues to develop. I really think they can, but only time will tell.

All in all, I think it will be better. Hopefully they open the offensce up a little and force the D into something other then 8 and 9 man fronts.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
              • Apr 2004

The coaches seem to have high relatively high expectations of Fowler, but I'm not 100% sure he is an improvement over Teague just yet. I think that will have to reveal itself in the pre-season. Reyes is undoubtedly better than Anderson. I remember seeing him out in front on a few running plays when we played the Panthers last year. I mentioned to my friend next to me that "that is the type of dude we need." He can pull and trap...things that Anderson apparently could not. He will be pulling often this year as we run behind Villarreal and Peters. We are better at guard, but only left, possibly better at center, but we don't know that yet, and the same everywhere else unless you count the Peters learning curve which makes us marginally better at right tackle. Our depth is a little better as well.

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

We replaced arguably our two weakest links (Anderson/Teague) with upgrades. If Peters continues to develop and Gandy improves even marginally I think we will certainly have a formidable line this year. No standouts, but 5 solid guys.
                http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Devin
                  We replaced arguably our two weakest links (Anderson/Teague) with upgrades. If Peters continues to develop and Gandy improves even marginally I think we will certainly have a formidable line this year. No standouts, but 5 solid guys.
                  That's all I'm asking for.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

The payscale for the current line is a better reflection of their ability. It got lighter (if Aaron Gibson is not starting) and hopefully a little more athletic. We'll have to wait and see how well Jim McNally's teaching and chemistry kick in, but it should be somewhat better.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Patti120
                      • Aug 2004

Come on folks, with that o-line and NALL BALL, we can't be denied!!!

Comment

• The_Philster
                        • Jul 2002

• LT Mike Gandy...wasn't bad last year..hopefully will improve this year, though.
                        • LG Tutan Reyes...can't help but be an improvement over Bennie The Penalty...buddy at work is a Panthers fan...said he was pretty good for them...they just opted to go a bit younger
                        • C Melvin Fowler...should be an upgrade over Teague...how much of one remains to be seen
                        • RG Chris Villarial/Duke Preston...Villarial can't seem to stay healthy...kind of a wash from last year..Preston should be improved though and could take the spot full-time next year
                        • RT Jason Peters..another year of playing RT...should be much improved over last season at this time.
                        Some of the projected backups
                        Butler has a mean streak which is a positive
                        Gibson could be very solid if he keeps his weight under control
                        Jerman hasn't shown much so far, IMO.....if Gibson sticks, Jerman is gone
                        Geisinger's versatility playing both G and C should give him an edge over other players
                        McFarland...make-or-break year, IMO...moving him inside to G is an interesting strategy which could benefit him as far as remaining with the team as a backup due to the ability to play either G or T
                        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                          That's all I'm asking for.
                          We are ALL asking for that.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

During camp in Rachacha, I watch individual skill position players .

Once the pre-season games start, I'll be concentrating on the OL and DL more than anything.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

The line is certainly bound to improve, particularly since Peters is entering the season as the starter and improving with all the reps.

One problem that I see on the offensive line is the huge difference in playing style of the currently projected back-up center (Geisinger) compared to the starter (Fowler). They should be able to use Fowler on traps, sweeps, and screens because of his quickness. Geisinger is a slow but very strong plodder and there may be difficulty running the same kind of plays if and when he is in there.

The versatility of the o-line depth is always a concern. Few teams keep more than 9 (not including the long snapper) and they seldom dress all of them for game day, so you need a "flip" tackle who can back-up both sides. I don't know who fills that role right now - maybe Jerman, maybe Gibson. I really hope that Gibson can put it together and keep the weight off.

Comment

Working...
                              X