PDA

View Full Version : You choose the starting QB!

Mitchy moo
06-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Well?

Mr. Pink
06-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Kliff Kingsbury for Mayor!

Mitchy moo
06-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Kliff Kingsbury for Mayor!

Huh?

TacklingDummy
06-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I have no choice. It's to early to tell. May whoever gives the Bills the best chance to win opening day start.

hammerbillsfan
06-15-2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/5579-1150163212.gif Skooby, lay the bong down.

ICE74129
06-15-2006, 09:02 PM
I have no choice. It's to early to tell. May whoever gives the Bills the best chance to win opening day start.

LMAO typical. Your 'Facts' should support holcomb so vote for him or 'other'

TacklingDummy
06-15-2006, 09:06 PM
LMAO typical. Your 'Facts' should support holcomb so vote for him or 'other'

My facts do support Holcomb. But im gonna wait till atleast the 3rd pre-season game before I cast my vote, Never know maybe Losman will show improvement and win the starting job.

OpIv37
06-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Right now, I'd like to see Losman get the nod.

But, for once, I actually agree with TacklingDummy. They need a competition and whoever plays best in camp and preseason should get the nod.

If it's not JP, we're screwed, because it means we're back at square 1 as far as finding a franchise QB.

YardRat
06-15-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm with TD and Op...may the best man win the job.

hurls
06-15-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm with TD and Op...may the best man win the job.

I have to default to Marv and his Staff. I'd give JP the shot, if he falters, Nall is next. KH is the safety valve.

ibatiger
06-15-2006, 10:56 PM

But, for once, I actually agree with TacklingDummy. They need a competition and whoever plays best in camp and preseason should get the nod.

If it's not JP, we're screwed, because it means we're back at square 1 as far as finding a franchise QB.

So let me get this straight. You have no problem with Losman being the starter. But if there is a guy who is BETTER than Losman (Nall) then we're screwed? Doesn't make any sense.

Mitchy moo
06-15-2006, 11:22 PM
So let me get this straight. You have no problem with Losman being the starter. But if there is a guy who is BETTER than Losman (Nall) then we're screwed? Doesn't make any sense.

OPIV in full stride = senselessly negative

TacklingDummy
06-16-2006, 12:07 AM

I have no problem with giving the guy who wins the job the starting spot week 1. And if that's not Losman and the Bills do indeed stink (Like so many think we will) I would have no problem putting JP in at that time to see what he's got and letting him develop.

SABURZFAN
06-16-2006, 02:49 AM
i'll tell you AFTER the last preseason game.

ICE74129
06-16-2006, 06:45 AM
No one wins a QB competition. Just watch and see. Come camp the starter will be made crystal clear. If Holcomb still gets more snaps with the first string by the first preseason game, its holcomb starting.

I can't wait until the first couple games. KH And JP will get = snaps, but see who hands off more, and who throws more. But of course the coaches will say 'Well the situation dictated we run more blah blah blah'.

Wait and see.

OpIv37
06-16-2006, 07:44 AM

Nall WON'T be better than Losman. If he is, there is a small chance we'll be OK. More likely, he's just the lesser of 3 evils.

If Holcomb's the starter, we're screwed because we still don't have a franchise QB and we'll be looking for a young guy in the off-season once again next year.

mybills
06-16-2006, 08:19 AM
I seriously doubt that KH will start.

TigerJ
06-16-2006, 09:41 AM

I agree with OpIv. What it amounts to is that we don't know whether JP has it in him to be a solid NFL starting QB, but we have a pretty good idea (or at least we think we do) that Holcomb and Nall don't. If JP can't beat out Holcomb and Nall and had a fair shot to do so, then Buffalo really doesn't have a solid NFL startiong QB. If a team doesn't have a solid starting NFL QB, that team is screwed. Makes perfect sense to me.

Billsrock4life
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
im going with JP

ibatiger
06-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Nall WON'T be better than Losman. If he is, there is a small chance we'll be OK. More likely, he's just the lesser of 3 evils.

If Holcomb's the starter, we're screwed because we still don't have a franchise QB and we'll be looking for a young guy in the off-season once again next year.

I agree with what you are saying about Holcomb, but there is absolutely no reason to think that Nall cannot be a solid NFL starter or at the very least better than Losman. None. Everything that he has ever done as a professional QB supports the idea that he has what it takes and has only been lacking the opportunity. He'll now have that opportunity and if he outplays Losman and Holcomb he will be the starter and there is no way that you or I can possibly know how good he could be.

ICE74129
06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow 35 for JP, 0 for holcomb. Where are those really loud Holcombites at? TD, EE and those guys?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
None of the above. I'll take whomever the Lions cut.

OpIv37
06-16-2006, 01:37 PM
OPIV in full stride = senselessly negative

you call it senseless negativity, I call it realism. Who was right during the season last year when you thought the Bills could still make the playoffs after the Chiefs game?

Every time one of my posts gets accused of being negative, I ask people to point out what I said that was incorrect. So far, no one has been able to do it. So, until some of you hopelessly optimistic people come up with a good reason for your optimism, you're drinking OBD's kool-aid.

Mitchy moo
06-16-2006, 02:55 PM
you call it senseless negativity, I call it realism. Who was right during the season last year when you thought the Bills could still make the playoffs after the Chiefs game?

Every time one of my posts gets accused of being negative, I ask people to point out what I said that was incorrect. So far, no one has been able to do it. So, until some of you hopelessly optimistic people come up with a good reason for your optimism, you're drinking OBD's kool-aid.

There is reason for optimism because we still have a team. As long as we have a team and everyone record is 0-0 we are all the same. Our Sabres we're supposed to be horrible doormats but ended up being a very talented young group that worked hard & had team oriented goals. If we can follow in half their footsteps, we would end up doing well.

Jan Reimers
06-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Quite simply, JP is our only hope, now and for the future.

OpIv37
06-16-2006, 03:05 PM
There is reason for optimism because we still have a team. As long as we have a team and everyone record is 0-0 we are all the same.

please tell me you don't actually believe that. Everyone being 0-0 at this point in the season does NOT make them equal. If the 49ers were playing the Steelers in Pittsburgh in Week 1, by your logic we'd have to pick them to tie.

madness
06-16-2006, 03:12 PM
So, until some of you hopelessly optimistic people come up with a good reason for your optimism, you're drinking OBD's kool-aid.

But if they start putting together wins and start looking like a contender all of a sudden everybody's jumping in OBD kool-aid headfirst.

Have fun at the back of the line and no cutting. Just remember, we were here first.

OpIv37
06-16-2006, 03:15 PM
But if they start putting together wins and start looking like a contender all of a sudden everybody's jumping in OBD kool-aid headfirst.

Have fun at the back of the line and no cutting. Just remember, we were here first.

you were where first? Look, I'm still a Bills fan- I'm still following the team and watching the games- I'm just expecting to see a steaming pile of **** on the field. If I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it.

madness
06-16-2006, 03:16 PM
BTW, a pessimest's logic is totally backwards. If they actually believed all that crap spewing out of their mouths they wouldn't be glued to the TV every single Sunday cheering their team on if they knew they were going lose, would they?

P.S. Hope is an optimistic view.

madness
06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
you were where first? Look, I'm still a Bills fan- I'm still following the team and watching the games- I'm just expecting to see a steaming pile of **** on the field. If I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it.

That's fine and I guess we expect to see the opposite. We'll also be first ones to admit the team sucks balls.

History is so full of sports teams that turned around in a year, that it's not even worth making a list.

We are just happy about the changes being made. We shouldn't have to write a proof explaining to others why. The facts are there. Will the plan work? No one knows until game day.

Talent also isn't everything. People think just because we had a drop off in talent(in which I disagree) from last year we are automatically doomed. Football is no different from chess. It's not the strengths and weaknesses of pieces, it's the knowledge and the game plan of the people using them. If people can't see the major upgrade in the coaching staff and front office from last year then they should just admit they are blind and go get a :dozer:.

OpIv37
06-16-2006, 04:12 PM
BTW, a pessimest's logic is totally backwards. If they actually believed all that crap spewing out of their mouths they wouldn't be glued to the TV every single Sunday cheering their team on if they knew they were going lose, would they?

P.S. Hope is an optimistic view.

this could not be more wrong. Only a traitor would give up on their team because they suck. The Bills fan in me always thinks their is hope, but the intelligent, logical side of me says there isn't. People who are positive about this team despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary can't divorce themselves from the fan side enough to see reality.

OpIv37
06-16-2006, 04:14 PM
That's fine and I guess we expect to see the opposite. We'll also be first ones to admit the team sucks balls.

History is so full of sports teams that turned around in a year, that it's not even worth making a list.

We are just happy about the changes being made. We shouldn't have to write a proof explaining to others why. The facts are there. Will the plan work? No one knows until game day.

Talent also isn't everything. People think just because we had a drop off in talent(in which I disagree) from last year we are automatically doomed. Football is no different from chess. It's not the strengths and weaknesses of pieces, it's the knowledge and the game plan of the people using them. If people can't see the major upgrade in the coaching staff and front office from last year then they should just admit they are blind and go get a :dozer:.

I wouldn't say we had a drop-off. I would say last year we were 5-11 and in need of huge talent improvements. We improved slightly in some areas, but not nearly enough to be competitive.

And your talent thing is bull****. If you don't have talent, you can only go so far. Give Bill Belicheck a junior varsity team and give Skooby an NFL team- have them play football and see who wins.

TacklingDummy
06-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Wow 35 for JP, 0 for holcomb. Where are those really loud Holcombites at? TD, EE and those guys?

If you knew how to read you would of seen me say I will pass on picking who the starting QB is till atleast the 3rd preseason game.

Whoever gives the Bills the best chance to win week 1 is the QB I will pick. That could be Losman, could be Holcomb, could be Nall, or 1 of the 4 other guys they brought in.

If Holcomb throw's 4 TD passes preseason and JP doesn't throw any with 5 picks, I would pick Holcomb. If the rolls are reversed, I'd pick Losman. Or whoever else looks the best.

madness
06-16-2006, 05:53 PM
this could not be more wrong. Only a traitor would give up on their team because they suck. The Bills fan in me always thinks their is hope, but the intelligent, logical side of me says there isn't. People who are positive about this team despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary can't divorce themselves from the fan side enough to see reality.

there's overwhelming evidence that we are going to be terrible this year? Please enlighten us Miss Cleo. Marv needs to know this so we can 'prepare' for a better draft pick.

madness
06-16-2006, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't say we had a drop-off. I would say last year we were 5-11 and in need of huge talent improvements. We improved slightly in some areas, but not nearly enough to be competitive.

And your talent thing is bull****. If you don't have talent, you can only go so far. Give Bill Belicheck a junior varsity team and give Skooby an NFL team- have them play football and see who wins.

I apologize, I wasn't aware that there was junior varsity talent in the NFL. I'm more sorry that I had to state obvious fact that I was referring to NFL talent vs. NFL talent.

Night Train
06-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Secretly, we all wish they keep Dinwiddie for the Cool Jersey Factor..( Dimwittie ) .

OpIv37
06-16-2006, 07:09 PM
I apologize, I wasn't aware that there was junior varsity talent in the NFL. I'm more sorry that I had to state obvious fact that I was referring to NFL talent vs. NFL talent.

you're making the false assumption that all NFL talent is equal. That's simply not true. Given equal talent, the better coach will win 99 out of 100 times. But give Skooby the 1993 Dallas Cowboys and give Bellicheck the 1992 Patriots and see who wins when the talent isn't comparable. You're forgetting two things:

1. The Bills are not on the same level talent-wise as at least 2 other teams in our division alone.
2. Our coaches have yet to prove that they are superior to anyone.

So you're giving yourself a false sense of confidence.

OpIv37
06-16-2006, 07:10 PM
there's overwhelming evidence that we are going to be terrible this year? Please enlighten us Miss Cleo. Marv needs to know this so we can 'prepare' for a better draft pick.

It's not just the draft. There's overwhelming evidence that we sucked last year and very little evidence that we did anything to get better. Not to mention the fact (read: evidence) that we have new systems on both sides of the ball that will take time for the players to learn.

DraftBoy
06-16-2006, 07:26 PM
I vote Craig Nall, I feel as though this year and the next are pointless as far as the teams record becuse Marv is simply setting up a team to place his hand groomed QB into. He knows defense wins and therefor is building that first (evidence: 06 Draft). I think JP very well could get a shot near midseason after we are out of the race and I dont see him being very successful and Im basing that off of what we have seen so far. He does have a killer arm, but he doesn't make the right reads it appears at times and its going to get him yanked. I think this is his lone year to prove himself and to do that he has to beat out both QB's for the job and to this point he has not at all done that. Hopefully in TC he turns it up. Nall is the unknown we dont know what he can do but we know he's got a good arm. He too like JP has struggled with decisions early, but I feel as though Marv plans to give him every oppurtunity this year and next to win the job. He is Marv's short term solution. Should we falter, and I expect us to, this year we wont be in the Brady Quinn sweepstakes because I dont think its a Marv type of guy. Id rather see him take a player like Chris Leak than Brady Quinn and Im a huge Notre Dame fan.

OpIv37
06-16-2006, 07:31 PM
I vote Craig Nall, I feel as though this year and the next are pointless as far as the teams record becuse Marv is simply setting up a team to place his hand groomed QB into. He knows defense wins and therefor is building that first (evidence: 06 Draft). I think JP very well could get a shot near midseason after we are out of the race and I dont see him being very successful and Im basing that off of what we have seen so far. He does have a killer arm, but he doesn't make the right reads it appears at times and its going to get him yanked. I think this is his lone year to prove himself and to do that he has to beat out both QB's for the job and to this point he has not at all done that. Hopefully in TC he turns it up. Nall is the unknown we dont know what he can do but we know he's got a good arm. He too like JP has struggled with decisions early, but I feel as though Marv plans to give him every oppurtunity this year and next to win the job. He is Marv's short term solution. Should we falter, and I expect us to, this year we wont be in the Brady Quinn sweepstakes because I dont think its a Marv type of guy. Id rather see him take a player like Chris Leak than Brady Quinn and Im a huge Notre Dame fan.

If JP falters this year, I agree- it will be time to move on. Personally, I prefer a proven quarterback to a draft pick so we don't have to waste two years developing, but decent FA QB's are rare and expensive. So I would be in favor of getting the best QB in the draft, be it Quinn or someone else.

hammerbillsfan
06-16-2006, 07:54 PM
:deadhorse

Can't someone merge all of Skooby's stupid threads?

DraftBoy
06-16-2006, 11:09 PM
If JP falters this year, I agree- it will be time to move on. Personally, I prefer a proven quarterback to a draft pick so we don't have to waste two years developing, but decent FA QB's are rare and expensive. So I would be in favor of getting the best QB in the draft, be it Quinn or someone else.

If he fails to win the job in TC, does that mean he has faltered?

OpIv37
06-17-2006, 06:47 AM
If he fails to win the job in TC, does that mean he has faltered?
Unless he comes in at some point during the season and plays extremely well, I'd say yes.

QB's take time to develop, but we don't want to be the Lions, Ravens or Redskins- desperately clinging to a QB that's incapable of taking it to the next level.

The_Philster
06-17-2006, 07:08 AM
:deadhorse

Can't someone merge all of Skooby's stupid threads?
That sounds like a lot of work :laughter:

Meathead
06-17-2006, 09:14 AM
holcomb is already a solid nfl starter and a perfect insurance policy should neither of the other two young guys step up and take command of the job. i feel very lucky to have him on the team

the point is we want better than solid, we want good or even terrific

as fun as it may be for us to help pass the dead part of the offseason, all this talk is virtually useless because unless jp falls on his face hes going to be the starter come september. all jp has to do is show significant improvement (should be a piece of cake) and be somewhere in the ballpark of either or both the other guys and they will give him the job. it would be silly to do otherwise